question

Al-Salam

Your Sister In Islam
I don't think it's obligatory, as long as ur praying the 5-prayers. but it's good to do them, since our beloved propher Mohammed, sallalaho alai wa salam used to do them. you meen shaf3 and witr right?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:

Witr prayer is one of the greatest acts of worship that draw one closer to Allaah. Some of the scholars – the Hanafis – even thought that it is one of the obligatory prayers, but the correct view is that it is one of the confirmed Sunnahs (Sunnah mu’akkadah) which the Muslim should observe regularly and not neglect.

Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Whoever neglects Witr is a bad man whose testimony should not be accepted. This indicates that Witr prayer is something that is confirmed.

:salam2::hearts:

abu'muhammad

:bismillah1:

dear brother,

witr is a wajib salat.The wajib salat are considered compulsory and not performing them is considered a sin.

allah know's best

lillahil hamd

OsMaN_93

Here to help

Witr prayer is one of the greatest acts of worship that draw one closer to Allaah. Some of the scholars – the Hanafis – even thought that it is one of the obligatory prayers, but the correct view is that it is one of the confirmed Sunnahs (Sunnah mu’akkadah) which the Muslim should observe regularly and not neglect.

Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Whoever neglects Witr is a bad man whose testimony should not be accepted. This indicates that Witr prayer is something that is confirmed.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
spammmmmmmmmm....:lol:

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom,

Please excuse my ignorance but what is Witr prayer? I thought anything outside of the obligatory 5 daily prayers, fajr, dhuhr, asr, maghrib and isha was not compulsory? There is sunna and fard, right? I am concentrating on getting the fard prayers done in a timely manner before I take on the sunna extra prayers and May Allah forgive me for any wrongdoing.

My friend told me a cool story of our Prophet, Mohammed, peace be upon him. It was about a bedouin tribal guy who was a bit rough around the edges who converted to Islam after hearing the basic beliefs that he had no objection to. Then he saw companions of our Prophet doing extra prayers (sunna) and he approached our Prophet in rather a gruff manner. He stated bluntly that he accepted that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed (pbuh) is his Messanger. He said he would do his 5 obligatory prayers, pay Zakat, fast Ramadan and perform Hajj and nothing more!! It is said that our Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him, laughed so much that you could see his back teeth and he told the brother, "Brother, if you do just that, you will be the first to enter Paradise!"......

Disclaimer.... this is a third hand story told to the best of my memory but I thought it was cool as it showed the nature of Our beloved Prophet, peace be upon him, and how compassionate he was, Masha Allah, and how he could deal with anyone from a King to a bedouin, with the best of manners, and true guidance from Allah, subhanahu wa ta'ala.

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

Sigh...look at all these self-issued fatwas with no daleel. :girl3: Anyways...a real fatwa from a Mufti. lol:

Question:
Is it permissible to omit Witr prayer? What are the consequences of omitting it?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Witr prayer is Sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed suunah) according to the majority of scholars, and some of the fuqaha’ regarded it as obligatory.

The fact that it is not obligatory is indicated by the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1891) and Muslim (11) from Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: A man came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “O Messenger of Allaah, what prayers has Allaah enjoined on me?” He said: “The five prayers, unless you do anything voluntarily.” The version narrated by Muslim says: “Five prayers every day and night.” He said: “Do I have to do anything else?’ He said, “No, unless you do it voluntarily.”

Al-Nawawi said:

This indicates that Witr prayer is not obligatory. End quote.

Al-Haafiz said in al-Fath:

This indicates that no prayers during the day and night are obligatory apart from the five prayers; this is contrary to the view of those who say that Witr or the two Sunnah rak’ahs of Fajr are obligatory. End quote.

However it is the most confirmed Sunnah and was enjoined by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in more than one hadeeth.

Muslim (754) narrated from Abu Sa’eed (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Perform Witr before morning comes.”

Abu Dawood (1416) narrated that ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O people of the Qur’aan, pray Witr, for Allaah is One and loves that which is odd-numbered.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Hence we should continue to offer Witr prayer regularly, whether travelling or not, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do. Al-Bukhaari (1000) and Muslim (700) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was on a journey, atop his mount, whichever direction it was facing, gesturing the motions of the night prayer, except the obligatory prayer, and he prayed Witr atop his mount.”

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Witr is not obligatory. This is the view of Maalik and al-Shaafa’i. Abu Haneefah said: it is obligatory. Then he said: Ahmad said: Whoever omits to pray Witr deliberately is a bad man, whose testimony should not be accepted. He wanted to emphasize that it is confirmed because of the ahaadeeth which say that it is enjoined and encouraged. End quote from al-Mughni, 1/827

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: Is Witr prayer obligatory, and will the one who prays it on some days and not on others be punished for that?

They replied:

Witr prayer is Sunnah mu’akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah) which the believer should adhere to. Whoever prays it on some days and not on others will not be blamed for that, but he should be advised to pray Witr regularly. It is prescribed to pray two rak’ahs during the day instead if a person misses it, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do that, as it was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: If sleep or sickness kept him from praying at night, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would pray twelve rak'ahs during the day. Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) usually prayed eleven rak’ahs at night, saying the salaam after each two rak'ahs then praying one rak'ah on its own. But if sleep or sickness kept him from doing that, he would pray twelve rak’ahs during the day, as ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) stated. Based on this, if a person usually prays five rak’ahs at night but he sleeps or misses them for any other reason, it is prescribed for him to pray six rak’ahs during the day, saying salaam after each two rak’ahs. If his habit is to pray three rak’ahs, then he should pray four rak'ahs with two salaams, and if his habit is to pray seven rak’ahs, he should pray eight with the salaam after each two rak’ahs. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 7/172

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=36793&ln=eng&txt=witr

Bolding mine.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

abu'muhammad

there are four grades of salats according to obligations

1) fardh
2) wajib
3) sunnahs
4) navafils

witr is a wajib salat.

Wajib: (Denying a Fard makes one a non-Muslim but denying a Wajib makes one a sinner. One must make up any missed Fard or Wajib prayers.)

again its a matter of fiqh. who follows the islamqa.com they can take it as sunnah muaqqadah. and who use to practise upon hanafi fiqh for them its witr.

and allah knows the best.

ShyHijabi

well i got mine from islamqa.com:D

Salaam brother Osman,

IN the future it may be benficial to post the link when quoting a fatwa, that way people can tell whether or not it is valid. I also found my fatwa on Islam Q&A so there seems to be some confusion.

Brother Sal,

Junaid Hasaan is correct when stating that the mahdabs differ on the status of witr. (Thank you for this correction as I am hanifi and was unaware of this fact)

Wasalaam

~Sarah

AdamMuslim

Salaam brother Osman,
IN the future it may be benficial to post the link when quoting a fatwa, that way people can tell whether or not it is valid. I also found my fatwa on Islam Q&A so there seems to be some confusion.
Brother Sal,
Junaid Hasaan is correct when stating that the mahdabs differ on the status of witr. (Thank you for this correction as I am hanifi and was unaware of this fact)
Wasalaam
~Sarah

Salam sister,
Why did you consider yourself HANAFI or MALEKI ... ?
Allah choose for us the name MUSLIMOUN then I'm muslim, you are muslim and FULL STOP.
I never considred my self neither Hanafi nor Maleki, or anything else.
I totaly respect the knowldge of these scholars and I just consider, for any question, the closet answer to the Quran and hadith. It doesn't matter who is the scholar.

I'm just a MUSLIM.
:wasalam:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alykum,

Taken from Fiqh-us-Sunnah:

The witr (means odd) prayer is one that the Prophet :saw: practiced and which he encouraged others to practice. As such, praying witr comes under as-sunnah al-mu'akkadah.

Ali says: "The witr prayer is not required like your obligatory prayers, but the Prophet :saw: would perform the witr prayer and say: 'O you people [followers] of the Qur'an, perform the witr prayer, for Allah is one and He loves witr.'" This is related by Ahmad, an'Nasa'i, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, at-Tirmidhi who calls it hasan, and al-Hakim who grades it sahih.

The opinion of Abu Hanifah (May Allah have mercy on him) that the witr prayer is obligatory is a weak opinion. Ibn al-Mundhir says: "I don't know anyone who agrees with Abu Hanifah on this point."

Ahmad, Abu Dawud, An-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah record that Al-Mukhdaji (a person of the Kinana tribe) heard from one of the Ansar, nicknamed Abu Muhammad, that the witr prayer is oligatory. He went to 'Ibadah ibn as-Samit and mentioned to him what Abu Muhammad had said. 'Ibadah observed: "Abu Muhammad is mistaken for I heard the Messenger of Allah :saw: say: 'Five prayers are ordained by Allah for his slaves.

Whoever fulfills them properly without any shortcoming, he will have a pact with Allah that He will admit him into paradise, whoever does not do them, he will have a pact with Allah, and if He wills He may punish him and if He wills He may forgive him.'"

Also al-Bukhari and Muslim recorded from Talhah ibn 'Ubaidullah that the Prophet :saw: said: "Five prayers during the day and night have been prescribed by Allah." Hearing this a bedouin asked the Prophet: "Is there anything else upon me [in the way of prayer]?" The Prophet :saw: said: "No, unless you want to do more voluntarily.

Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Supererogatory Prayer, Chapter One, The Witr Prayer - Its excellence, pg 10-11.

Alhamdulilah

Walaykum Salam.

ShyHijabi

Salam sister,
Why did you consider yourself HANAFI or MALEKI ... ?
Allah choose for us the name MUSLIMOUN then I'm muslim, you are muslim and FULL STOP.
I never considred my self neither Hanafi nor Maleki, or anything else.
I totaly respect the knowldge of these scholars and I just consider, for any question, the closet answer to the Quran and hadith. It doesn't matter who is the scholar.

I'm just a MUSLIM.

Salaam brother,

I think a lot of people have confusion over the mahdabs, they think it creates division when it doesn't. I am a Muslim but I am not a scholar therefore I try to find an interpretation to create consistency. For instance, the whole witr issue. Where do you think the fatwas come from? Interpretation of fiqh accirding to one of the mahdabs.

I've never understood why people get upset when I tell them I am Hanifi, if you do not wish to follow a specific scholarly intepretation then don't. The other Muslims who follow mahdabs never get in confrontations with me, only the people who don't know or understand what a mahdab means. It's like I tell someone I am vegetarian and the person refutes with, "I eat food! Why do you have to specify what type of food you eat, we all eat!"

So yes, I am Muslim. I also use the Hanifi interpretation of fiqh to create consistency in my worship.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

AdamMuslim

Salam,
Dear sister,
:SMILY259:
Sorry if that offend you. It wasn't my purpose, I just wanna know
Then, what was the madhab of the early muslim, the first muslims ? At that time, Islam wasn't consitent ?

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikom dear Sisters and Brothers, another interesting post that we can learn from and I have so much to learn, Insha Allah! My conclusion from all the above is that one should try to do witr whenever possible but it is not obligatory and if one does it one night and not the next, this will not count against them. However, witr is well-liked as it is sunnah and we should strive towards this and Allah knows best what we are able to accomplish.
Jazak Allahu Khair, I feel like we are sitting at the dinner table having a healthy family discussion and I thank each of you for your words of wisdom :)

ShyHijabi

Salam,
Dear sister,
:SMILY259:
Sorry if that offend you. It wasn't my purpose, I just wanna know
Then, what was the madhab of the early muslim, the first muslims ? At that time, Islam wasn't consitent ?

Salaam brother,

I wasn't offended and I am sorry if I came across that way. The first Muslims didn't have to worry about mahdabs because Rasool (pbuh) was right there to give an answer to any questions concening Islam. However once he died and so did the companions we only had the hadith's and the Quran to go off of. So some things, such as how to pray, are not in the Quran and there are different Hadiths (some weak some strong)

So the scholars such as Hanafi did intense study of the the hadiths and spoke to people who amy have known the companions and tried to get as clear as a picture as possible on how to interpret fiqh.

Th four different scholars said that they did not claim to have the perfect interpretations and that they would submit to each ther rather than declare their "correctness." (such was their humbleness) So after researching the different mahdabs I found that the Hanifi "felt" right when concerning the interpretation of fiqh and decided to follow it. This does not mean I am superior to my maliki/hanbali/shafi brothers and sisters. I just needed a consistent way to practice my deen and found the mahdabs the best way to do so.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

AdamMuslim

Salam,
First of I think that we really go off the thread. Then I must appologize to sister SAL12.
Second, I know what you are talking about. I have been discussing this issue too many times (with my father, my mother, my freinds, etc).

My statement is very simple. If each scholar (even the trustfull ones) who makes a fatwa on some new issues calls to a foudation of a new school of thought named after him/them and the muslims have to follow him then we will certainly be very very confused.

Alhamdoulillah, I've been reading many books on each madhab and I'm still reading as many fatwa as I can on current and past issues. But, I try to pick the fatwa wich is very close to Quran and Hadith without any consideration to the name of the scholar (of corse he must be trustfull).

And Allah kows best,

Please let's stop talking about this issues here. If you have additional informations or questions, I'll be gald to read them just PM me. There is no need to confuse the brothers and sisters here.
I apologize to you too because it's me who started this convesation.