Questions.

RegularJoe

Ok, first off I'm not a Muslim..I hold no negative opinions of Islam, but I am a Christian and happy as one.

Second, I have some questions about Islam.
I've recently returned from Iraq, and I've heard literally hundreds of stories within' the Army and elsewhere about the "Evils of Islam" so I figured that I would be stupid to take them all to heart without ever even asking a Muslim about them. If I offend someone, its not my intention, I'm just looking for answers.

#1. Does Islam in any aspect tolerate a husband striking his wife?

#2. Does Islam in any aspect advocate conquering non-Islamic states and forcing the populations of those states to convert to Islam or die?

#3. Does Islam condone genital mutilation of females?

#4. Does Islam condone the killing of a rape victim?

#5. Does Islam, in any aspect, condone violence? If so, when is killing acceptable in the eyes of Islam?

These are basically the things I've heard that have bothered me most. Like I said, I'm not here to offend anyone, I just want to know.
The website is titled "Correcting common misconceptions' after all.
Thanks.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Ok, first off I'm not a Muslim..I hold no negative opinions of Islam, but I am a Christian and happy as one.

Second, I have some questions about Islam.
I've recently returned from Iraq, and I've heard literally hundreds of stories within' the Army and elsewhere about the "Evils of Islam" so I figured that I would be stupid to take them all to heart without ever even asking a Muslim about them. If I offend someone, its not my intention, I'm just looking for answers.

Hello Joe ,

wife beating

Circumcision is not equal to genital mutilation:

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about whether women should be circumcised or not. He replied:

Praise be to Allaah. Yes, they should be circumcised, i.e., the top of the piece of skin that looks like a rooster’s comb should be cut. The Messenger of Allaah said to the woman who did circumcisions: “Leave something sticking out and do not go to extremes in cutting. That makes her face look brighter and is more pleasing to her husband.” That is because the purpose of circumcising a man is to make him clean from the impurity that may collect beneath the foreskin. But the purpose of circumcising women is to regulate their desire, because if a woman is not circumcised her desire will be strong. Hence the words “O son of an uncircumcised woman” are used as an insult, because the uncircumcised woman has stronger desire. Hence immoral actions are more common among the women of the Tatars and the Franks, that are not found among the Muslim women. If the circumcision is too severe, the desire is weakened altogether, which is unpleasing for men; but if it is cut without going to extremes in that, the purpose will be achieved, which is moderating desire. And Allaah knows best.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 21/114

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
I see you embolded my words, and that's why I'm here...I havent taken them to heart and I'm asking ;)

Joe, i know . I am very happy that you turn to ask for help....instead of believing what people say...The best way to know about islam is from the muslims and not from other religions

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Returned from Iraq huh Joe? So it must mean that you are an American Soldier. I'm happy that you came to ask questions and have not come to bash Islam.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Top ten misconceptions about islam

Joe, one thing that also distress me hearing muslim forcing others to convert. That is not part of islam. We do not need to force convert , they will come by themselves , God willing

Sorry if i post too many information. Take your time to read. There are many other members here who are many times more knowledgeable than i am . Im sure they will post, God willing

Thanks for reading and Joe, welcome to the site( sorry, for the belated welcome ) :)

RegularJoe

Top ten misconceptions about islam

Joe, one thing that also distress me hearing muslim forcing others to convert. That is not part of islam. We do not need to force convert , they will come by themselves , God willing

Sorry if i post too many information. Take your time to read. There are many other members here who are many times more knowledgeable than i am . Im sure they will post, God willing

Thanks for reading and Joe, welcome to the site( sorry, for the belated welcome ) :)

Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry if it distressed you, but these are the things I've been hearing most of my life, so I'm playing catch up here.

What is the Islamic view of Christians?

RegularJoe

Where then are these things I'm seeing on the news and on the internet coming from?
Kurdish girl put to death for dating a guy outside of her faith
Countless videos of Iranians being put to death to chants of "Allahu Akbar"
Saudi Arabian religious police refusing to let girls leave a burning schoolhouse, instead locking them inside to burn to death

These are the things I'm here to understand

Hello Joe

There you go:

A Comparison: The Islamic and Christian views of Jesus

Joe, dont hesitate to ask anything else . As you can see our main purpose is to correct the misconception of islam.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Where then are these things I'm seeing on the news and on the internet coming from?
Saudi Arabian religious police refusing to let girls leave a burning schoolhouse, instead locking them inside to burn to death

Okay so it is about honour killings....got it....i will try to research on it, God willing....

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Greek_Rose_2005

Hello Joe I cant answer myself for all these questions as Im jus converting ti islam i know some of the other brothers and sisters may have a better understanding, as for what I have read in quran, hadiths and videos about beating the man is not supposed to hurt the female its said the hardest he can hit her is with a toothbrush-this is what I heard and even at this the man cannot just punish the wife right away this is only when she does not accept she is doing something against Allah and her husband...i think I have a video on it im not sure how to post if here but i will try..

[yt]qf5ElnfMJQo[/yt]

Hey Joe,

First off, welcome to the forum. Inshallah (God willing) you will find TTI resourceful and beneficial. I am very happy to see that you are an open minded person. You ask great questions and it requires thorough research. Everything in Islam is based on evidence and proofs. I can assure you that the brothers and sisters will help you answer your questions - just don't expect 2 sentence answers ;) You should first try to focus on the broader aspects of what Islam is rather then the smaller issues.

It's true that you go to a dentist if you have questions about your teeth, about soccer to a soccer player, about Islam to Muslims. Sometimes people accept their faith blindly without questioning it. We should always be open and keen to what the media says. As you know, every organization has an agenda and mission - reporters/writers have to fulfill these missions and satisfy their supervisors and the directors on top of the ladder - trust me, my sister works in the media industry.

Alot of times people embedd their culture to Islam which is utterly wrong! They give people the wrong perception of Islam. If you want to study Islam don't study Muslims -study the belief!! I leave you with one rhetorical question - what do you really know about Islam?

I humbly ask you to check this website to see fundamental beliefs about Islam:

http://godallah.com/index.php

Also, these might help answer some of your other questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxFKSC0c_UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FpIvfBSQoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9ZyYiy1PE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqYQgSIbvA

Peace to you

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Hello Mr. RegularJoe,

Welcome to the site.

Please dont feel you caused any offense.
Its ok, we are understanding about the culture you are coming from.

Just to your knowledge, the hierarchy of authorities in Islam goes like that:

IF YOU ARE UNMARRIED/SINGLE MALE OF FEMALE:

1- First and foremost rights on you are the rights of God and his Prophet (PBUH). To obey/follow the teachings.

2- Second come the rights of his/her parents. If you divide the rights of your parents in four parts, then first 3 rights are that of your mother and 4th right is of your father on you. If your parents ask you to do which is against the rights of God and his Prophet, then you wont follow your parents but you will politely excuse.(Mother, who is a woman, is given more priority and respect)

IF YOU ARE MARRIED MALE:

1- First and foremost rights on that person are the rights of God and his Prophet (PBUH). To obey/follow the teachings.

2- Second come the rights of his parents. If you divide the rights of your parents in four parts, then first 3 rights are that of your mother and 4th right is of your father on you. If your parents ask you to do which is against the rights of God and his Prophet, then you wont follow your parents but you will politely excuse. (Mother, who is a woman, is given more priority and respect)

3- 3rd come the rights of your wife and children.

IF YOU ARE MARRIED FEMALE:

1- First and foremost rights on you are the rights of God and his Prophet (PBUH). To obey/follow the teachings.

2- 2nd come the rights of your husband.

3- 3rd come the rights of her parents and her husband's parents. If you divide the rights of your parents in four parts, then first 3 rights are that of your mother and 4th right is of your father on you. If your parents ask you to do which is against the rights of God and his Prophet, then you wont follow your parents but you will politely excuse. (Mother, who is a woman, is given more priority and respect)

TO COMPREHEND:

Husband must follow his Mother, then his father.
Wife must follow his husband, then her husband's and her own parents.

Why there is such hierarchy? Islamic sociology/society is based on strong family units. If family system is strong and there are persons to have decision/authority in a systematic way, then there will be less violence and scatter in the society. Please be reminded that Islam does not allow sex out of marriage, and it is duty of husband to bear the living expenses of his wife and children.

Now the violence you see in some countries like Iraq, Iran and Sudan etc. That is just because the people are not following Islam but their own desires and cultures. After all, Its about Islam, not about Muslims.

n any case, you owe me few minutes to watch the following video and get enlightened:

Part 1:
[yt]riMFUfHinGY[/yt]

Part 2:
[yt]yr9mojsJOI8[/yt]

Check These:

Are Muslim Women Oppressed?

Oppression and Exploitation of Women in the West

Also:

Apostasy, apostates are killed? Dhimmis are oppressed?
[yt]X28J8-xt6hU[/yt]

Muslim Tells How to Make Bomb
[yt]GLf9b8ZjLXM[/yt]

Wherever you Find nonMuslims then kill them??
[yt]p4Ko3ixFQ7E[/yt]

Does Islam condone the killing of a rape victim?
Answer: The rape victim is given the news of Paradise, not the news of her murder.

Thanks for your time,

Please let me know if you need any further elaboration which I might have missed.

Bye.