quranic authenticity

db92509

hello forum

i recall having a conversation with a muslim aquaintance on the subject of proof that the quran is the word of god. it was in fact my aquaintance who bought up the subject as he is forever attempted to 'convince' me of the infalability of islam.

he advised me that the proof 'he' needs that the quran is the word of god is in the challenge that is posed in the quran itself. namely that it is not possible for anyone else to recreate a passage from the quran.

My question for the forum today is if anyone was to take up the challenge who would judge the passage created. there is no independent means of doing so because it is entirely subjective. I assume some islamic scholars would be tasked with judging the passage and enivitably the response would be that the passge does not compare to the quran.

it seems it a very tenious challenge and a classic example of a circular argument used by christians and muslims alike. ie the passage cannot be compared to the quran as the quran says it is not possible.

regards

mhamzah

Hello,

He advised me that the proof 'he' needs that the quran is the word of god is in the challenge that is posed in the quran itself. namely that it is not possible for anyone else to recreate a passage from the quran.

First of all that is not the only challenge (or falsification test) that is mentioned in the Quran. There are many challenges offered in the Quran. Some of them are old [in the sense that circumstances have changed now], other exist till today. To give you an example of each;

The Islamic point of view is that when a man embraces Islam, his past is forgiven from the very beginning. This has been the invitation to Islam: come to Islam and all is forgiven from the past. But consider this. There is only one enemy of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, who is mentioned by name in the Qur'an: one Abu Lahab. In a short chapter of this book, he is condemned to punishment for his sins.

This man hated Islam to such an extent that he used to follow the Prophet around in order to discredit him. If Abu Lahab saw the Prophet (peace be upon him) speaking to a stranger, he would wait until they parted and then would go to the stranger and ask him, "What did he tell you? Did he say, 'Black.'? Well, it's white. Did he say, 'Morning.'? Well, it's night

As it happens, the man himself was alive for many years after this revelation. He could therefore have finished Islam very easily. He needed only to go to the Muslims to announce his conversion. They had in their hands the revelation which said that this man is doomed to punishment. He could have gone to Muslims and say: "I accept Islam, am I forgiven or not?"

He could have confused them so much as to finish this small movement because he would have been pointing out to them that they were now in confusion. The policy was instant forgiveness of the past, but their own revealed scripture announced that he was not forgiven. That is exactly the kind of behaviour one would have expected from him since he always sought to contradict Islam. As it was, Abu Lahab died without accepting Islam.

An example of a challenge that stands still date;

Do they not consider the Qur'an (with care)? Had it been from other Than Allah, they would surely have found therein Much discrepancy. (4:82)

My question for the forum today is if anyone was to take up the challenge who would judge the passage created.

First of all it’s interesting to note that the pagan Arabs at the time of the Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him], didn’t even take up the challenge. Coming to your question;

You can judge the passage created for yourself. However one has to be honest, to examine the Quran you have to at least examine the original [i.e. Quran in Arabic] as so much is missing in translations very often. And to examine Quran from a linguistic point of view, one need to know Arabic.

I assume some islamic scholars would be tasked with judging the passage and enivitably the response would be that the passge does not compare to the quran.

Arthur J Arberry ,

"Briefly, the rhetoric and rhythm of the Arabic of the Koran are so characteristic, so powerful, so highly emotive, that any version whatsoever is bound in the nature of things to be but a poor copy of the glittering splendour of the original."

Stubbe:

"The truth is I do not find any understanding author who controverts the elegance of Al Qur'an, it being generally esteemed as the standard of the Arabic language and eloquence."

Dawood (Iraqi Jewish Scholar)

"The Koran is the earliest and by far the finest work of Classical Arabic prose. It is acknowledged that the Koran is not only one of the most influential books of prophetic literature but also a literary masterpiece in its own right. Translations have, in my opinion, practically failed to convey both the meaning and the rhetorical grandeur of the original."

Zammit:

"Notwithstanding the literary excellence of some of the long pre-Islamic poems, or qasaid, the Qur'an is definitely on a level of its own as the most eminent written manifestation of the Arabic language."

Hirschfield:

"The Qur'an is unapproachable as regards convincing power eloquence and even composition."

Sells,

"There is a quality to the sound of the Qur'an which anyone familiar with it in Arabic can recognize. Qur'anic commentators have discussed the power and beauty of this sound. Is one of the key aspects of the science of analysing ijaz al-Qur'an (the inimitability of the Qur'an)."

Palmer:

"That the best of Arab writers has never succeeded in producing anything equal in merit to the Qur'an itself is not surprising"

They were all Non-Muslims.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Holy Qur'an, Surah Al-Massad

Perish the two hands of Abu Lahab (an uncle of the Prophet) and perish he!
His wealth and his children (etc.) will not benefit him!
He will be burnt in a Fire of blazing flames!
And his wife, too, who carries wood (thorns of Sadan which she used to put on the way of the Prophet or use to slander him).
In her neck is a twisted rope of palm fibre.

The above verses of the Qur'an was revealed 10 years before the man call "Abu Lahab" died. Abu Lahab is an arch-enemy of Islam during that point of time, he will do the exact opposite of what The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) had preached. Now when the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) informed Abu Lahab that Allah has revealed (via Surah al-Massad) and condemned Abu Lahab will go to hell 10 years before Abu Lahab died. In other word Qur'an confirmed that Abu Lahab will die as non believer. This is a great opportunity for Abu Lahab to prove Qur'an is not authentic and not word of Allah, he should have done the exact opposite by declaring himself to be muslim and deny what the Qur'an has revealed. Did he did that? No. 10 years after he died as non believer and so his wife.

The above is one of the good example to prove Qur'an is really the word of Allah.

Now you are asking who will judge if you create a passage like Qur'an. Go ahead and create the passage. No muslim need to judge your passage, show them to non-muslim first. You post it at a websites and ask for respond. Tell everyone this is a passage created similar to Qur'an. You may receive an award or medal for writing good poem but no one will acknowledge this is "word of God".