Ramadan..

poetic

mrs aisha b
I know little about ramadan, I only know that people fast and its a special time. Could I have definitions and a list of what is done? And when is ramadan ?
And I dont want to go off topic but I converted a few days ago and I am having trouble learning arabic, I havnt prayed at all because im not sure exactly when and what to say..example.. im bad ..VERY BAD at math, I feel like I cant learn it, I feel the same about arabic.. I know that there are several prayers, I need more information on them, and what about a basic prayer to allah about anything, do you pray with hands ? Please explain as simple as you can so I can understand .. :shymuslima1:

sunnahwarrior

Islam Basic

:salam2: ( Peace be upon you )

Alhamdu lillaah ( Praise to Allah) , I have one more brother/sister in Islam.

I will answer based on my understanding.

1. Prayer ( salaah)

Salaah is one of the principles of Islam after shahadah. This is compulsory practice in Islam no matter your condition , even you can't move your limbs at all. There are 5 times salaah a day. For the complete guide of prayer,
please visit http://www.abdurrahman.org/salah/index.html

The timing of those 5 prayers different in each places, you can found here: http://www.islamicity.com/prayerTimes/

I strongly suggest you to read book about basic Islams practice , principles of Islam, and those informations can be found www.abdurrahman.org
Or you can learn Islam from the mosque nearby your place.
This is important because it will be more easy for you to understand, and there will be direct sample of what we should do in salaah

2. About Ramadhan
It is a month in which Allah the Exalted has commanded us to conduct fasting.
The command is in the Quran Chapter 2 (Al-Baqarah ) verse 183:

يأَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ أَيَّامًا مَّعْدُودَتٍ فَمَن كَانَ مِنكُم مَّرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَى سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِّنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ وَعَلَى الَّذِينَ يُطِيقُونَهُ فِدْيَةٌ طَعَامُ مِسْكِينٍ فَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّهُ وَأَن تَصُومُواْ خَيْرٌ لَّكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ

"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may acquire Taqwa.) (184. Fast for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g., an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskin (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast is better for you if only you know."

The ramadhan month is in Islamic Calendar ( based on moon) . To find the corresponding date in Gregorian system ( usual calendar ) is your place's scholars. There will be convention about that. I suggest you to come to mosque to consult further.

3. What to do in fasting in Ramadhan?
The fasting starts from dawn prayer time ( Subuh prayer ) till maghrib time. This might be strange to you, so please read Islamic books or nearby mosque.
We are encouraged ( but not compulsory) to eat ( sahr ) before dawn prayer time ( subuh ).
Beside fasting, you should not do anything that abandon your fast, such as eating, drinking, (if you have married, you are not allowed to do sexual activities with your wife/husband during the fasting). You can find more informations about this.

We can break our fast at magrib time ( refer to the link before for prayer times).

During the night of Ramadhan, we are encouraged to live up the night by doing many Islamic deeds such as Taraweeh prayers

Message to you, my brother/sister: Read the Islamic books more often, or consult with the scholars nearby you. Because it is COMPULSORY for every moslem to study the knowledge of ISLAM even your age is very old.

You can ask the tips of being "fresh" moslem for other brothers/sisters here.
AND YOU should make friends with good moslem friends. because they will remind you, share the islamic knowledge with you, and help you during your times.

Allah knows best.
I pray to Allah for your eeman and Islam.

PS : IF you dont understand about Quran, visit the tafsir ( explanation) about that particular verse. http://www.tafsir.com

or

http://www.qtafsir.com

Useful links:

http://www.abdurrahman.org
http://www.troid.org

shichemlydia

help inchae allah

salam alikoum sister,
first congratulations, allah has shown you the straight path, pay allah keep you on it; ameen.
ramadhan will be in the begining of sptember this year.
what you should not do in ramadhan, basically,
you cannot eat and drink from the sunrise to the sunset( fajr prayer to elmaghrib prayer).
any relationship between husbands and wives is forbidden during the day of ramadhan only.
in fact there are some other things try to get them as well....
in this website, there is a link on the left part of the home page called step by step guide to prayer, try it...
on the net you will find it in more details i am sure.
for arabic learning, go to islamalways.com look on the right of the page, "sister register for arabic classes".
i am sure if you have the will to learn arabic, they you will do that, and allah will help you, just devote time for it, it is not impossible.
salam alikoum

sunnahwarrior

About Arabic

:salam2:

I am not a native Arabic. but Insha allah with Allah's blessing I will try to study arabic.

We don't need brilliant intelligence such as in Math ,in studying Arabic.

Maybe we can think why toddlers or babies are able to understand their mother's language in fact they can't even to count from 1 to 10000 ( general case ) ?

So May Allah bless us and gives His rahmah to ourselves and all moslems in the world.

:wasalam:

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Alakum,

Welcome to TTI

It’s nice to have u join this lovely community.

Insha Allah u benefit from us as we from u.

Enjoy ur stay Insha Allah,

Take Care,

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
The Fast of Ramadan

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]R[/SIZE]amadan is the ninth month of the Muslim calendar. The Month of Ramadan is also when it is believed the Holy Quran "was sent down from heaven, a guidance unto men, a declaration of direction, and a means of Salvation"

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]I[/SIZE]t is during this month that Muslims fast. It is called the Fast of Ramadan and lasts the entire month. Ramadan is a time when Muslims concentrate on their faith and spend less time on the concerns of their everyday lives. It is a time of worship and contemplation

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]D[/SIZE]uring the Fast of Ramadan strict restraints are placed on the daily lives of Muslims. They are not allowed to eat or drink during the daylight hours. Smoking and sexual relations are also forbidden during fasting. At the end of the day the fast is broken with prayer and a meal called the iftar. In the evening following the iftar it is customary for Muslims to go out visiting family and friends. The fast is resumed the next morning

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]A[/SIZE]ccording to the Holy Quran:
One may eat and drink at any time during the night "until you can plainly distinguish a white thread from a black thread by the daylight: then keep the fast until night"
spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]T[/SIZE]he good that is acquired through the fast can be destroyed by five things -
the telling of a lie slander denouncing someone behind his back a false oath greed or covetousness

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]T[/SIZE]hese are considered offensive at all times, but are most offensive during the Fast of Ramadan

spacer2.gif
[SIZE=+1]D[/SIZE]uring Ramadan, it is common for Muslims to go to the Masjid (Mosque) and spend several hours praying and studying the Quran. In addition to the five daily prayers, during Ramadan Muslims recite a special prayer called the Taraweeh prayer (Night Prayer). The length of this prayer is usually 2-3 times as long as the daily prayers. Some Muslims spend the entire night in prayer
spacer2.gif

[SIZE=+1]O[/SIZE]n the evening of the 27th day of the month, Muslims celebrate the Laylat-al-Qadr (the Night of Power). It is believed that on this night Muhammad first received the revelation of the Holy Quran. And according to the Quran, this is when God determines the course of the world for the following year
spacer2.gif

[SIZE=+1]W[/SIZE]hen the fast ends (the first day of the month of Shawwal) it is celebrated for three days in a holiday called Id-al-Fitr (the Feast of Fast Breaking). Gifts are exchanged. Friends and family gather to pray in congregation and for large meals. In some cities fairs are held to celebrate the end of the Fast of Ramadan.