Reading Quran for the Dead

mommymuslimah

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters,

I have two questions (as of now, maybe more by the time I'm done typing this!). #1. What is the ruling for gathering in the masjid and reading Qur'an for the dead? Here's the situation: A brother's father died a year ago, may Allah forgive his sins and grant him Jannah. The brother wants to gather at the masjid around the anniversary of his death and read Qur'an for his father. Isn't this bidah?

#2. How do you deal with a community who is full of bidah and "modernization of Islam"? They are so hard-headed and go against anybody who speaks up against their practices. I have no other options, either be with them or be alone. Isolating oneself, I know, is dangerous but it's either that or be around bidah, backbiting, etc. How do you deal with this?

I pray that you are all in the best health and iman, safe and sound insha'Allah.

:salam2: :hijabi:

Parvaiz

:salam2:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no indication in either the Qur’aan or the Sunnah that would prescribe the actions described in the question. Based on this fact, these actions are bid‘ah (a reprehensible innovation) which is not permitted; we should avoid it and warn others not to do it. The Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) used to say in his khutbahs (sermons): "The truest of speech is the Book of Allaah, the best guidance is that of Muhammad and the worst of things are those which are newly invented. Every newly-invented thing is a bid‘ah, every bid‘ah is a going astray, and every going astray will end in the Fire of Hell." (Reported by al-Nisaa’i, may Allaah have mercy on him, in al-Sunan, Kitaab salaat al-‘eidayn, no. 1560).

It is permissible to pray for the deceased, without arranging a formal gathering, and without setting a specific date for doing so. We ask Allaah to help us and you to do that which He loves and which will please Him. Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

The situation is same everywhere these days people simply don't listen. Even if you give them Ayah from Quran or even Hadith. what their peer or wali said is the last word for them ,its not an easy task but a person can try to challenge them on this behalf ,but in order to do that the person try to clear the things in the first place should be knowledgeable.If a person has some knowledge of the religion he can gather all the info on this matter and collect also what they present that are weak hadith etc and refute them but it may not be as easy as said ,the only thing which always works is ask Allah to give our brother and sisters guidance.Ameen.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters,

I have two questions (as of now, maybe more by the time I'm done typing this!). #1. What is the ruling for gathering in the masjid and reading Qur'an for the dead? Here's the situation: A brother's father died a year ago, may Allah forgive his sins and grant him Jannah. The brother wants to gather at the masjid around the anniversary of his death and read Qur'an for his father. Isn't this bidah?

:wasalam:

Yes, it is bid'ah to gather people around and read it for the dead. Recitation can not be done on the behalf of the dead. Also, to carry out actions specifically to benefit the dead on their anniversary (1 week, 40 days, 1 month or yearly anniversary) is also a bid'ah.

One should supplicate for the dead to Allah azz zawajal that He forgives their sins and elevates their rank in Jannah, give sadaqah on their behalf and perform Hajj/Umrah on their behalf ( The scholars have differed with regards to performing Hajj and Umrah on behalf of the dead).

#2. How do you deal with a community who is full of bidah and "modernization of Islam"? They are so hard-headed and go against anybody who speaks up against their practices. I have no other options, either be with them or be alone. Isolating oneself, I know, is dangerous but it's either that or be around bidah, backbiting, etc. How do you deal with this?

Firstly, it would be important to educate yourself about the correct Aqeedah, proper understanding of Tawheed and learning about performing acts of ibadah according to the Sunnah of Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam.

For this, you would need to read and/or hear from authentic and reliable sources. With regards to books, Darussalaam is usually reliable with it's collection of titles offered in English language. As for the internet, sites like these would be a good start. There is some good information in the 'Islamic Articles and Important Information' subforum of this website. Also, there are websites and youtube channels that have beneficial information available for free that also are of benefit. Some of these channels include 'OnewaytoParadise', 'KhalifaKlothing', 'Shaykha' and if you are from the Indian Subcontinent 'cal2tawheed' and 'marketm'.

With regards to dealing with people who stringently hold on to their incorrect beliefs/actions, I do understand that it is a very difficult situation to be in. The best you can do is to convey what you have learned with kindness and good manners and then pray that Allah azz zawajal guides them.

WaSallamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

alf2

Islam is a way of life

Yes, it is bid'ah to gather people around and read it for the dead. Recitation can not be done on the behalf of the dead. Also, to carry out actions specifically to benefit the dead on their anniversary (1 week, 40 days, 1 month or yearly anniversary) is also a bid'ah.

One should supplicate for the dead to Allah azz zawajal that He forgives their sins and elevates their rank in Jannah, give sadaqah on their behalf and perform Hajj/Umrah on their behalf ( The scholars have differed with regards to performing Hajj and Umrah on behalf of the dead).

I have heard of people making supplications for the dead, but I was not sure if this was Bidah too or not. Thank you for adding this to the answer. Jazakallha khair!

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaaamu'Alaykum,

BrotherInIslam7, Masha'Allaah excellent succinct advice.

What I would add is this.

While learning about the deen, ensure you keep good relations with close kin and anyone else that is close. This is because you might notice differences in belief's. However, make sure that you maintain the ties of kinship and do not break them. Sometimes this can happen where one family group can be alienated because they follow the Qur'aan and Sunnah while the others maintain the status quo (can create a really powerful indirect type of pressure upon you to conform). Insha'Allaah, be soft with them and by the Almightys Will they will listen.

I don't think I can add anymore than that. I pray that Allah keeps you steadfast.

Walaykum Salaam.

Abu Talib

Feeling low

Firstly, it would be important to educate yourself about the correct Aqeedah, proper understanding of Tawheed and learning about performing acts of ibadah according to the Sunnah of Rasool SallAllahu Alleihi Wa Sallam.

For this, you would need to read and/or hear from authentic and reliable sources. With regards to books, Darussalaam is usually reliable with it's collection of titles offered in English language. As for the internet, sites like these would be a good start. There is some good information in the 'Islamic Articles and Important Information' subforum of this website. Also, there are websites and youtube channels that have beneficial information available for free that also are of benefit. Some of these channels include 'OnewaytoParadise', 'KhalifaKlothing', 'Shaykha' and if you are from the Indian Subcontinent 'cal2tawheed' and 'marketm'.

With regards to dealing with people who stringently hold on to their incorrect beliefs/actions, I do understand that it is a very difficult situation to be in. The best you can do is to convey what you have learned with kindness and good manners and then pray that Allah azz zawajal guides them.

WaSallamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Assalamu`alaykum

You framed it in the most lovely manner. I once said the same about being bi'dah and it was argued if you can do Hajj/Umrah on behalf of the dead then why can't you read Qur'aan on behalf.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
Assalamu`alaykum

You framed it in the most lovely manner. I once said the same about being bi'dah and it was argued if you can do Hajj/Umrah on behalf of the dead then why can't you read Qur'aan on behalf.

as i was reading BrotherInIslam7 post, mashallah well said, but i also thought the same 'if you can do Hajj/Umrah on behalf of the dead then why can't you read Qur'aan on behalf'

so really if we can make supplication for Allah to forgive the dead etc, then why cant we read quran for them. i heard when someone dies we should play surah yaseen on their behalf. my auntys husband recently died. she goes to the grave yard with her son once a week depending on her strength and she recites surah yaseen for him. so is this haram?

i feel, whatever the person did in life, why should people read quran on him when he dies. once someone dies, thats it, they have turned over to Allah and nothing people can do can give the person extra rewards. if allah wants to forgive him, he will, if he wants to punish him, he will. so our duas are more important in this regard. so in saying this, does this mean the actions of a person doing hajj on behalf of a dead still gives the dead that reward or what does the dead get out of it? why cant they get the same when someone reads quran?

so do people read quran so the person can be less punished in the grave? or do they read quran in the hope the person can get that reward? or do they read quran to remind the person of Allah and the quran and the dinyah?
why do people these days read quran to the dead?

plus, some people make a certain amount of tasbih of not sure what they say but they have to say it thousands of times and when they do do this on behalf of the dead, the dead gets its rewards and some of his sins are forgiven. so is this true. my mum did it for my uncle.

Abu Ameerah

When Bani Aadam dies, his/her deeds are finished, except for three (3)...
1) Sadaqatun Jaariyah (Like if he/she has built a Masjid/Madrasah)..
2) Knowledge that benefits others
3) Children that makes du'aa for him/her)
أو كما قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم

It is also a good practice to perform Umrah or Hajj on her/his behalf...

Allah knows best.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
When Bani Aadam dies, his/her deeds are finished, except for three (3)...
1) Sadaqatun Jaariyah (Like if he/she has built a Masjid/Madrasah)..
2) Knowledge that benefits others
3) Children that makes du'aa for him/her)
أو كما قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم

It is also a good practice to perform Umrah or Hajj on her/his behalf...

Allah knows best.

mashallah i didnt know of these 3 steps. as for the 3rd one, is duas for the dead only accepted by children? is this what it means or have i misunderstood? if i understood it right, that means duas and our supplications to the dead is haram or just not accepted?

Kakorot

Du'aas for the dead are accepted from everyone; not just limited to children.

It's haraam to make du'aa to the dead because that will be shirk. We can only make du'aa to Allaah for the dead.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
Du'aas for the dead are accepted from everyone; not just limited to children.

It's haraam to make du'aa to the dead because that will be shirk. We can only make du'aa to Allaah for the dead.

okay, so i can say for example 'oh allah, please forgive my uncle, grant him Jannah' like that.

so how do you make dua to the dead person? is this meant like eg: 'oh uncle, please forgive me, i miss you so much. please forgive your wife and kids and be pleased with them' like this? or whats an example of making dua to a dead person. i mean how is this done.

sorry, just need some kind of picture in my head so i can understand the difference of making dua to allah for the dead and not to the dead himself.

Kakorot

We don't ever make du'aa to the dead person, we can only make du'aa for them. Du'aa is an act of worship, so we can't make du'aa to anyone besides Allaah, as He's the only one capable of answering supplications.

If we wronged someone and want to ask forgiveness from them then it should of been done whilst they were alive. But say we didn't and they died, then we should ask Allaah for forgiveness. On judgement day the person will come up to the one who wronged them and claim all their good deeds.

There are ways to compensate, like giving charity on the person's behalf, and talking good of them to others, even if there is exaggeration but mostly seeking forgiveness and asking Allaah to forgive them too for their sins.

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
We don't ever make du'aa to the dead person, we can only make du'aa for them. Du'aa is an act of worship, so we can't make du'aa to anyone besides Allaah, as He's the only one capable of answering supplications.

If we wronged someone and want to ask forgiveness from them then it should of been done whilst they were alive. But say we didn't and they died, then we should ask Allaah for forgiveness. On judgement day the person will come up to the one who wronged them and claim all their good deeds.

There are ways to compensate, like giving charity on the person's behalf, and talking good of them to others, even if there is exaggeration but mostly seeking forgiveness and asking Allaah to forgive them too for their sins.

thank you, i understand now.

being 27, i havent ever had anyone die that is really really close to me. my aunty's husband died a few months ago but his really really old, and he was sick, everyone expected his death so it wasnt really a shock when he died. subhan allah, he use to hate visitors, this made made so many people keep their distance. i wish i knew him more. im sure his great person from the inside.

i feel sorry for my aunty, she goes to his grave every friday or when she is free and recites surah yaseen for him. im sure she poors her heart and feelings to him too like talks to him because she told my mum how much she misses him and that he wasnt what everyone thought. she regrets being rude and backchatting to him and realised how much he means to her now.
her children are not really reliable so my parents are helping her to do things and get her shopping etc.

my uncle died 2 years ago. his about 45years old. that was a shock to all, no one expected it at all. his a healthy man beautiful and so fun and always loved us. his wife kept him away from the family, she told him he wasnt allowed to visit his brothers and sisters other wise she will divorce him. he was such a quiet and good man, he did anything his wife said. he wasnt strong enough to make his own decisions but he always snuk to visit us at my parents house. mum would cry when she saw him at the door.

my mum took it hard when he died. we all did. it was so sad.

i asked all the questions in my posts because of what i hear people do when someone dies and was curious. and when they said 'its haram for someone to make dua to a dead' i didnt know people do this, and didnt understand how they do it like what are things they say.

but besides that, i understand totally. thank you and jazakahllah kheir.

its hard giving advice to people, especially when they have a partner thats passed away and all their life they were brought up learn that people read quran on dead, there is nothing wrong with that.

people dont care about authentic and haram and sunnah these days, they believe and trust what they've been brought up to do. they think whats 'owdat' i think its tradition is the haram and halal without looking at it the right way not from tradition but from quran and hadiths.

thank you.