Ready to Revert

ledanielson

Assalamu Alaykum,

My name is Laura and I've recently reached the decision to revert to Islam. My family is not Muslim (some are Christian, some are agnostic), and I don't think that they will be too thrilled about my decision. Because of this, I plan to say the shahada when I move, which will be in about a week. I would like to say it in front of witnesses in a mosque. I'm very excited and want to share with other people who will be excited for me as well.

I just began to learn about Islam a few months ago, and though I immediately realized it is the truth, I still struggle with the lifestyle changes that I need to make to keep Allah (swt) everpresent in my thoughts. There is so much for me to learn that I feel I've barely scratched the surfact, and I get a bit overwhelmed at times. Any advice?

rfoudil

Assalm alikum Siter

May Alla gives you the strenght and will and guides you to the right path,I congratulate you and welcome to the brotherhood and sisterhood of islam.

justmuslim

mansha allah and congrat. to you Laura that Allah guide u to the right path. remember your in the right direction. read the quran and don't hesitate asking questions. u really make me cry.

halah

Assalamu Alaykum,

My name is Laura and I've recently reached the decision to revert to Islam. My family is not Muslim (some are Christian, some are agnostic), and I don't think that they will be too thrilled about my decision. Because of this, I plan to say the shahada when I move, which will be in about a week. I would like to say it in front of witnesses in a mosque. I'm very excited and want to share with other people who will be excited for me as well.

I just began to learn about Islam a few months ago, and though I immediately realized it is the truth, I still struggle with the lifestyle changes that I need to make to keep Allah (swt) everpresent in my thoughts. There is so much for me to learn that I feel I've barely scratched the surfact, and I get a bit overwhelmed at times. Any advice?

Salam
Welcome you Laura,May Allah help and guide you,As brother Ayman said take it easy and do it step by step but don't delay taking your Shahadah because no body knows what gonna happen in the coming minute.
May Allah firm your heart on the straight path.

mohsofi_abdullah

Allahuakbar!
Allahuakbar!
Allahuakbar!
congrats to your reversion
may ALLAH HELP US ALL TO BECOME HIS HUMBLE SERVSNTS AND JANNAH RESIDENTS

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
:ma: :ma: Welcome to ISLAM sister. i would suggest don't bite more than what you can chew. whatever you read and start following be firm with that and go step by step. i would also suggest to have good muslim friends who can help you in your learning process.

May ALLAH SWT make it easy for you. Ameen. and do remember all of us in your dua.

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam
walaikumasalaam

I am so happy to hear that. Allahu akber. Welcome to TTI. and welcome to the family.

Bluegazer

Hello Laura,

I'm happy to hear you're interested in reverting to Islam. Before you pronounce the Shahaadatayn [the Two Testimonies of Faith], you have to believe in the 6 Pillars of Faith and the 5 Pillars of Islam.

To read about the 6 Pillars of Faith, click on the following link:

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-2.htm

To read about the 5 Pillars of Islam, click onthe following link:

http://www.islam-guide.com/frm-ch3-16.htm

Please click on the following link to read a post with many links that will -God willing- help you:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88428&postcount=5

Regards,

Bluegazer

carpy321

asalam alaikum!

welcome sister!! my advice to you is learn slowly!! i have been a muslim 6 months now!! and at first i tried to learn too much from the wrong people!!
becareful who you learn from and who you listen to. allah (swt) has truly guided you to the right path! welcome sister to islam, your journy has just begun!

NX01

:wasalam: ya Laura.

Alhamdullilah that Allah has guide you to the right path.

It'll be good if could drop by the local masjid, and look for the imam there to consult on matters that you are not sure of. He will help you on those matters, Insya'Allah.

It's better to practise what is right than to practise bid'ah :SMILY286: due to one's ignorance and self assumption on the religion.

Once again, welcome to the ummah.

Salaamalikum sister,

Welcome to the family. Inshallah (God willing) your reversion will come with peace, tranquility, and ease.

Don't get stressed out, there is alot to learn. Like many others, even I (a born Muslim) is still learning. Here are some tips to enhance your Islamic knowledge:

1. Prioritize

What are the priorities of the Muslim community today? What is required of me? Is it essential for me to spend 4 years isolated in a desert or some foreign country to study Islam or is it more beneficial for me to use my skills to benefit the community, while learning Islam in Canada?

2. Specialize

Young minds and scholars need to do research on contemporary issues such as entertainment in Islam (music and art), Islamic banking, media studies, etc.

3. Start with the Basics

Don't be overwhelmed by the hundreds of books and dozens of Islamic sciences to choose from. It is better to start off your journey by focusing on and mastering three things:

i) Tafsir (commentary and understanding) of the Quran,
ii) Fiqh (analysis) of Sirah (life of the Prophet and the first generation of Muslims), and
iii) Our Society (the history, culture, political system, demographics, and current events of the country).
4. Be a scholar in your profession

Look for Islamic institutions that offer workshops and training programs that train Muslim professionals on Islam, in their respected professions. Professionals need to learn the ethical issues related to their work. We rarely see Muslims sharing Islamic knowledge at their job. For some reason we feel that Islam only needs to be applied in our personal life, and not in our professions.

If you are approaching your final years of university, try doing a research project, a thesis, or internship that incorporates Islam or issues concerning Muslims.

5. Use Books/CDs/Internet/E-Mail

We are blessed with resources such as books, magazines, websites, CD's, email, etc due to the advancement of technology. We shouldn't ignore or underestimate these beneficial resources if we do not have regular access to Muslim scholar to learn from. By using these resources, when an opportunity arises to spend a day, a week, or a year with a knowledgeable Muslim, we will be better prepared to benefit from their learning.

Don't underestimate the power of books and articles! These resources let you analyze the information most effectively. Many people come to Islam because of ONE book.

6. Participate weekly, in a Halaqah

Have a halaqah (study circle), even if you have very few people available, just be regular. Halaqahs are interactive group studies where people learn from the Quran and other books together. Halaqahs are more informal and focus on real life issues.

Keep it Simple. Sometimes people get discouraged by looking at our complicated and ambitious syllabi for classes or Halaqahs. We should keep it as simple and practical as possible.

7. Be Dynamic!

Any class or halaqah you join, find out if it trains its students or members to provide leadership in the community. Does it revive the Muslim mind and spirit? Or does it focus primarily on secondary issues? Does it dwell on trivial differences most of the time? The process of gaining and imparting Islamic knowledge should be a dynamic one.

8. Take Good from Everyone

Stop using labels. No scholar has monopoly over Truth. As Ali bin Abi Talib used to say, "don't judge the Truth by a scholar (i.e. who's saying it). Know the Truth first and you will find the scholars that belong to it." Don't stop listening to a scholar because another scholar or a book says something bad about them. Be critical of everyone. Question the content and sources of your own scholar. When in doubt resort to the principles in the Quran and Sunnah.

9. Don't Judge Scholars Based on Media

Don't believe media reports about a Muslim scholar or leader in our community. The media loves quoting scholars who are vocal or controversial. Very often journalists misquote or partially quote people. Just because a newspaper has a statement by someone, doesn't mean they are either good or bad. Try to verify a controversial statement directly from the scholar or leader before launching your own criticism.

10. Learn a Little Every Day or Week

Doing a little bit regularly is the real way of learning our Deen! For example by learning one Hadith per week at a Halaqah, you can memorize 52 hadiths a year!

Source:
Taha Ghayyur. "In Pursuit of Knowledge." Aver. January 2006: p. 24
'The money that a true believer needs to support himself with is comparable to the donkey that he rides, and the carpet that he sits on - nay, rather the toilet that he relieves himself in - for he has a need for these things, but they do not occupy a status (in his heart).' Shaykhul Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah

ledanielson

Salam
Welcome you Laura,May Allah help and guide you,As brother Ayman said take it easy and do it step by step but don't delay taking your Shahadah because no body knows what gonna happen in the coming minute.
May Allah firm your heart on the straight path.

Assalaam Alaykum and thank you for your response. I wholeheartedly agree with your advice not to hesitate in taking Shahadah. Thank you for your support.

Wassalaam

dianne

Salam,

Allahuakbar!
Allahuakbar!
Allahuakbar!

May ALLah swt guide u to see the beautiful Islam.

Wassalam