Reciting Salaat and Salaam to our Prophet

imarshad

:salam2: ,
Recently I have been listening to some Nasheeds/Naats. In many of these Naats/Nasheeds the Salat - us - Salam to our beloved prophet is being recited in the following way
Ya Nabi Salam Alaika Ya Rasul Salam Alaika
I know Arabics and the Ka at the end and Ya at the start is used when we are directly talking to some person.

1) If one recite this Salam having the Niyaa that Our Prophet is directly listening this salam then is this Shirk?
2) If one recite this having the Niyaa that our Prophet cant listen to this Salam directly from us but Allah will present this Salam to our beloved prophet then is it ok or still Shirk?​
Is there any verdict given by our four Imams regarding this matter? What are the arguments of those who say it is shirk and those who say it is OK to say this way?
Note: I am asking this question to only increase my knowledge on this subject.

almanar

Seeking Allah's Love
assalamualaikum
hope u r having a nice time there.

i hope somebody will answer ur question.
inshaallah.

D.Ahmed

Believer
:salam2: ,
Recently I have been listening to some Nasheeds/Naats. In many of these Naats/Nasheeds the Salat - us - Salam to our beloved prophet is being recited in the following way
Ya Nabi Salam Alaika Ya Rasul Salam Alaika
I know Arabics and the Ka at the end and Ya at the start is used when we are directly talking to some person.

1) If one recite this Salam having the Niyaa that Our Prophet is directly listening this salam then is this Shirk?
2) If one recite this having the Niyaa that our Prophet cant listen to this Salam directly from us but Allah will present this Salam to our beloved prophet then is it ok or still Shirk?​
Is there any verdict given by our four Imams regarding this matter? What are the arguments of those who say it is shirk and those who say it is OK to say this way?
Note: I am asking this question to only increase my knowledge on this subject.

:salam2:

yeah I too would like an explanation on this, from what I have heard the Ya Nabi bit is like almost saying the Prophet (saw) is like here in the presence of us but again I dont know.
On Friday during Jummah there are a few Masjid's down my ends that actually stand up and fold their arms and do Salat - us - Salam on the prophet which to be seems totally wrong so I neevr part take and I avoid them Masjids now, I hear that it is mainly the south asian Deobandi Nashbandi groups that do it.

:wasalam:

weakslave

Shaykh ibn-baaz allowed anasheed as long as they do not mention the names of Allaah or the prophet. I also stopped listening to those because I feel Allaah and His messenger are more deserving than a song or a nasheed.

Prophet SAAWS said:
Among the most excellent of your days is friday; on it Adam was created, on it he died, on it the last trumpet will be blown, and on it the shout will be made, so invoke more blessings on me that day, for your blessings will be submitted to me. The people asked: Apostle of Allah, how can it be that our blessings will be submitted to you while your body is decayed? He replied: Allah, the Exalted, has prohibited the earth from consuming the bodies of Prophets.

But to say it in the way you are saying, that could be dangerous. We always ask Allaah to send peace and blessings on the prophet, but for you to do it directly as if Muhammad (SAAWS) can hear you... Well we know some facts:

- Prophet SAAWS cannot hear you, and if you believe he can this is definitely shirk. Only Allaah can hear your prayers when you are alone.
- Your salam is not as good as the one presented by Allaah. So saying what you mention is just like saying salaam to any other person and is not specific to the prophet.

And Allaah knows best.

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Asslam'u Alykum,

It's indeed a very fragile topic, Subhan Allah. May Allah guide us all.

Has anyone else heard the hadeeth where the Prophet :saw: said that whoever sends blessing upon him on Jummah his blessings are sent to him by angels etc. I know the hadith in brief but don't know the reference, so I'll be thankful if someone can provide it, Insha'Allah.

weakslave

A short question for all wahabis/salafis/deobandis/all other creeds who think that Prophet Salla Allahu 'alayhi wa Sallam is dead *Astagfrullah*

Why do they still translate the kalima this way : There is No God but Allah and Muhammad (Salla Allahu 'alayhi wa Sallam) is His Prophet (Salla Allahu 'alayhi wa Sallam).

This one is easy inshaAllaah.

Firstly, regarding the Kalima:

Muhammad was sent for all of humanity from his time until the end of time, the day of judgement. No other prophet will replace him in that time, he was the seal of the all previous prophets and is the final messenger and prophet from Allaah with a message for all of humanity.

Secondly:

Refer to the incident when these verses were revealed:

Indeed, you are to die, and indeed, they are to die
[39:30]

Muhammad is not but a messenger. [Other] messengers have passed on before him. So if he was to die or be killed, would you turn back on your heels [to unbelief]? And he who turns back on his heels will never harm Allah at all; but Allah will reward the grateful.
[3:144]

The companions wept because they realized that yes indeed Muhammad (SAAWS) will pass and that he will not live forever, and the issue was brought up while he was alive for Allaah to make it clear to everyone in that time and in our time and for every time: he is just a man, and he will die.

The Prophet (SAAWS) also said:

"Do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians praised the son of Mary, for I am only a Slave. So, call me the Slave of Allah and His Apostle."
[55:654 bukhari]

Then recall the incident, if you will, of the passing of the prophet SAAWS. Upon hearing of his death, Omar (RA) one of the greatest companions of the prophet said "If anyone was to say Muhammad is dead, I will cut off his head!" and after this everyone remained silent..

Imagine this scene, everyone is heart broken, everyone knowing the truth but people too scared to hear it said, those people who loved the prophet more than they loved themselves found it so difficult. And yet what happened. Abu-Bakr, may Allaah be pleased with him, stood up and he said: "Whoever used to worship Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead. And whoever worships Allaah, then Allaah is Ever-living and shall never die!".

Understand who Abu-Bakr is. Abu-Bakr is the one who the Messenger (the past, current, and future messenger) Muhammad (SAAWS) said about:

"The person who has favored me most of all both with his company and wealth, is abu bakr. If I were to take a khalil other than my Lord, I would have taken abu bakr as such, but (what relates us) is the Islamic brotherhood and friendliness. All the gates of the Mosque should be closed except the gate of abu bakr."[57:6 bukhari]

Abu-Bakr understood Islam better than anyone after the Prophet, and he will be the first to enter paradise after the messengers and prophets.

Call me wahabi, salafi, whatever you wish, but Muhammad was a man, a slave of Allaah, and he is now dead just like any other man. He cannot hear your prayers, and he cannot answer your calls. If you were to invoke Muhammad (SAAWS) you would be invoking the wrath of Allaah and you would be committing clear shirk.

Guidance is in the hands of Allaah, and may Allaah guide us all to His straight path.

If you insist on invoking Muhammad after you have been informed, then I fear what you practice cannot be called Islam. Islam came with the message of One God, and this is how Allaah wants us to be towards Him.

And Allaah knows best.

weakslave

Surah Ahzab 33, Verse 6: The Prophet is closer to the Muslims than their own lives, and His Wives are their Mothers

This is a clear case of misunderstanding the verse. Read Tafsir ibn-Kathir regarding this verse:

http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1871&Itemid=89

The word "closer" in the interpretation of Yusuf Ali is not physical or spiritual proximity.

In fact, if you understood arabic, the word "closer" is a poor interpretation of the original arabic word "Awlaa", and it makes it even more confusing without context. A more accurate word translation is:

"The Prophet is more worthy of the believers than themselves, and his wives are [in the position of] their mothers. And those of [blood] relationship are more entitled [to inheritance] in the decree of Allah than the [other] believers and the emigrants, except that you may do to your close associates a kindness [through bequest]. That was in the Book inscribed."

And Allaah knows best.

imarshad

I am more confused about the subject then I was earlier....
From what I have gathered so far
When we say Salaam to our beloved Prophet (Sallalahu Alaihi Wassalam) it is definitely transmitted to our prophet.(Form the Hadith of Jumma quoted above by weekslave) and many other narrations like
Abu Dawud, 2041, with a hasan (good) <>isnad from Abu Hurayrah
“There is no one who sends salaams upon me but Allah will restore to me my soul so that I may return his salams.”
But what about my two questions?

imarshad

I am even more confused after reading this hadith....
It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah said: “When we prayed with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) we used to say, ‘Peace be upon Allaah from His slaves and peace be upon So and so.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Do not say “Peace (salaam) be upon Allaah”, for Allaah Himself is al-Salaam. Rather say, “Al-tahiyyaatu Lillaahi wa’l-salawaatu wa’l-tayyibaat. Al-salaamu ‘alayka ayyuha’l-Nabiyyu wa rahmat Allaahi wa barakaatuhu. Al-salaamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ibaad-illaah il-saaliheen (All compliments, prayers and pure words are due to Allaah. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings. Peace be on us, and on the righteous slaves of Allaah).” If you say this it will be for all the slaves in heaven and between the heavens and the earth. [Then go on to say] “Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha ill-Allaah wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa rasooluhu (I bear witness that there is no god except Allaah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger).” Then choose whichever du’aa’ you like and recite it.’”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 835)

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Brother,

I hope this clears it up.

Link --> http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/21524/darood on prophet

Can the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) hear those who call upon him when he is in his grave?
Some people believe that the Prophet Muhamamd [(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] is "Shaheed" and is in BArzakh where he can hear us if we send 'darood' on him and also if we ask his 'wasta' [by virtue of his closeness to Allah]in praying to God.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is alive in his grave in the sense of the life of al-barzakh, so he enjoys the blessings that Allaah has prepared for him as a reward for his great good actions that he did in this world. But the life in the grave is not like the life of this world, or the life in the Hereafter. Rather it is the life of al-barzakh which comes in between his life in this world and his life in the Hereafter. Hence we know that he died as other Prophets and other people before him died. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We granted not to any human being immortality before you (O Muhammad); then if you die, would they live forever?”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:34]

“Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish.

And the Face of your Lord full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever”

[al-Rahmaan 55:26,27]

“Verily, you (O Muhammad) will die, and verily, they (too) will die”

[al-Zumar 39:30]

And there are other verses which also indicate that Allaah caused him to die. Moreover, the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) washed him, shrouded him, offered the funeral prayer for him and buried him; if he had been alive in the worldly sense, they would not have done the same as is done for others who die.

Faatimah (may Allaah be pleased with her) asked Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) for her inheritance from her father (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because she was convinced that he had died, and no one among the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) differed with her concerning that. Rather Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) responded to her request by saying that nothing could be inherited from the Prophets.

The Sahaabah agreed unanimously to choose a khaleefah for the Muslims to succeed the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and that was done with the appointment of Abu Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with him) as khaleefah. If the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have done that. So this indicates that there was consensus among them that he had indeed died.

When the tribulations (fitan) and problems increased during the time of ‘Uthmaan and ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with them both), and before and after that, they did not go to his grave to consult him or ask him for a way out of those tribulations and problems, or the way to solve them. If he had been alive in a worldly sense, they would not have overlooked that when they were in such great need of someone to save them from the trials that surrounded them.

With regard to the soul of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it is in the highest part of ‘Illiyyeen, because he is the best of creation, and because Allaah has given him al-waseelah which is the highest position in Paradise.

The life of al-barzakh is a special life. The Prophets and the shuhada’ (martyrs) are alive in al-barzakh as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Prophets are alive and they pray in their graves.” (Narrated by al-Mundhiri and al-Bayhaqi who classed it as saheeh because of corroborating reports in al-Saheehayn.)

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And say not of those who are killed in the way of Allaah, ‘They are dead.’ Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not”

[al-Baqarah 2:154]

This is a special life, the nature of which is known to Allaah. It is not like the life of this world in which the soul remains with the body.

The basic principle concerning the dead is that they do not hear the words of the living sons of Adam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“but you cannot make hear those who are in graves”

[Faatir 35:22]

Allaah confirmed that those whom he (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)) was calling to Islam could not hear, by likening them to the dead. There is nothing in the Qur’aan or in the saheeh Sunnah to indicate that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) can hear every du’aa’ or call from human beings. Rather it is proven that the only thing that reaches him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the blessings and salaams of those who send blessings and salaams upon him. This was narrated by Abu Dawood, 2041, with a hasan isnaad from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no one who sends salaams upon me but Allaah will restore to me my soul so that I may return his salaams.” This does not mean that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams. Rather it is possible that he comes to know of those salaams when the angels convey that to him. If we assume that he hears the words of the one who sends salaams, this is an exception from the general rule, as in the case of the dead hearing the footsteps of those who carry his bier, and as in the case of the slain kuffaar in the well at Badr who heard the call of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) when he said to them: “Have you found your Lord’s promise to be true? For we have found our Lord’s promise to be true.” (See Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/313, 318, 321).

With regard to calling upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and asking him directly, this is the essence of shirk which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was sent to forbid and to fight against its people. For more details on the ruling on that, see Question no. 10289, 11402, 1439. We ask Allaah to bring the Muslims back to the right path. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon his Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

imarshad

:salam2: brother abubaseer,
I am not asking about calling/asking Rasullulah (Sallalahu alaihi Wassalam) for help or any other thing. I am asking about saying Salaam to Rasullulah (Sallalahu alaihi Wassalam) which is an obligation to every muslim. The Fatwa that you have quoted states:
1) Generally no one in grave can hear anything from the sons of Adam.
2) There are some exceptions to this general rule which are
  1. The Kaffirs of Ghazwa Badr to whom Rasulullah (sallalahu alaihi wassalam) spoke and it is established by the same hadith that they heard him better then the Sahabaa that were around Rasulullah.
  2. When we pass by some grave and say "Assalam u alaikum ya Ahlil Quboor" and the complete dua.
But it doesn't deal with my questions which were
* Is it Jaiyz to say Ya Nabi Salam Alaika having the Niyaa that Rasulullah (Sallalahu alaihi Wassalam) is directly listening to this?
* Is it Jaiyz to say Ya Nabi Salam Alaika having the Niyaa that Rasulullah (Sallalahu alaihi Wassalam) can't directly listen to our Salaam but Allah transmitts our Salam to him?

imarshad

I am sure that our Salaf definitely must have dealt with this issue but I cant find any reference from the early scholars or even Sahabaa?

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
assalamo alaikum, dear brother D. Ahmed, for your kind information, deobandi's dont follow this practice, as u mentioned in your text. they think this is SHIRK.

ovomer

salam from pakistan!
Then recall the incident, if you will, of the passing of the prophet SAAWS. Upon hearing of his death, Omar (RA) one of the greatest companions of the prophet said "If anyone was to say Muhammad is dead, I will cut off his head!" and after this everyone remained silent..

Imagine this scene, everyone is heart broken, everyone knowing the truth but people too scared to hear it said, those people who loved the prophet more than they loved themselves found it so difficult. And yet what happened. Abu-Bakr, may Allaah be pleased with him, stood up and he said: "Whoever used to worship Muhammad, then Muhammad is dead. And whoever worships Allaah, then Allaah is Ever-living and shall never die!".

yes i fully agree with this!!

genie

Sending salaam to the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace)
qa.*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=8762&CATE=1431

Reception of Salat and Salam by the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace)
qa.*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=1854&CATE=108

Was The Tashahhud Changed After The Prophet’s Death?
qa.*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=4586&CATE=120