reform islam?

should islam be reformed?

• reform in islam is needed

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • islam doesn't need to be reformed

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • i'm not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what's reform? ( i didn't know people wanna change islam )

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

something just came to my mind. i once heard a conversation on television and the discussion was about the reformation of islam. and they were wondering if a reformation of islam was necessary. i am of the opinion that islam is perfect and that muslims aren't. therefore, the need for reform is none. there was a muslim man that was there and labeled himself as a " moderate " muslim. i was wondering if there is such a thing. what would this muslim be moderating? would he be making something that is haram into something that is halal? i'm not sure, but i think that if he is moderating islam he must be taking something away from islam. quite frankly, if any muslim is doing something like that, then is he or she really practicing islam? the only reform that we muslims need to make are within ourselves. and those reforms can only be done or should be done for pleasing ALLAH SWT. i think we are all aware that not all muslims are doing the right thing when it comes to their deen. some of us aren't praying, fasting, or are doing things like selling alcohol. the followers return to the implementation of the quran and sunnah is the only reform that we muslims need to make.

despite all of this, i am very much interested in hearing the opinions of the members here at TTI about the need for reform in islam. should we reform it or not. i think this is an important topic, because there are muslims that are a little ashamed about islam and are trying to change our deen to please the rejecters of our deen.
:wasalam:

justcelebre

Salam,

Definitely not reform Islam! Why should we change just so that we can please others? I don't see anyone changing just to please us ):

The word "moderate" muslims is commonly used in Singapore and like brother Nyerekareem, I wonder what it means as well. I thought it is whether you are a practising muslim or not. No such thing as in between right?

salahdin

SUBHANALLAH if we reform AL- ISLAM then we are doing just like the jews & christians did so as to please human being. I say No way 1400 years IT has STAYED CLEAN AND IT WILL STAY CLEAN with no human interference.

(5) Show us the straight path, (6) The path of those whom Thou hast favoured. Not (the path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray. (7) Al-Fatiha 5:7

(5) Lo! man is an ingrate unto his Lord (6) And lo! he is a witness unto that; Al-Adiyat 5:6

(5) Nay, but verily man is rebellious (6) That he thinketh himself independent! (7) Lo! unto thy Lord is the return Al-Alaq 5:7

(3) Surely We created man of the best stature (4) Then we reduced him to the lowest of the low, (5) Save those who believe and do good works, and theirs is a reward unfailing. (6) So who henceforth will give the lie to thee about the judgment? (7) Is not Allah the most conclusive of all judges? (8) At-Tin 3:8

cmelbouzaidi

:salam2: no reform of Islam is needed, this is the word of ALLAH, subhanahu wa ta'ala and the teachings from the best of men, through guidance of ALLAH, our beloved prophet, Mohammed, peace be upon him.

Reform the Ummah, sure :) We Muslims need to be united in worship of ALLAH and caring for one another regardless of ethnicity or social status, etc. Here, we human beings err time and time again but if we followed Islam better, this would not be necessary either. The only way to "reform" Muslims is for us to get back to the original teachings of Islam as it was laid out for us 1400 years ago, :ma:

palestine

Servant of Allah
Islam is the perfect way of life. it needs no reformation, it's the muslims who need reformation because they've left the deen back home. and they need to stick to their faith. however islam does not need reformation, whoever thinks or wants islam to be reformed they're just wasting their time or either they're hallucinating. Islam was, is, and will always be the moderate deen. it's not extreme nor is it low but it's moderate that we are able to abide by it. you know who needs to be reformed? all the people out there who only know how to talk but have no clue what real islam is about. they need to open their eyes. asalamu alaykum wrwb and jazakaAllahu khayran for the post. its interesting.

Salem9022

how many Muslims pray 5 times a day without doing shirk and bidah? how many muslim brothers have beards and how many sisters are wearing hijab(not tight clothing)? it is us muslims that need to reform Islam is Perfect. but Muslims are not.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
salam

A'udu bilahi mina shaydhani Ar-rajim

first of all, no matter how hard we try or some other folks try, no one can reform ISLAm but the creator. such looser believe that he/she can reform islam. we are not the ones' who are taking care of islam, but Allah subhana wata'ala is. so no one can harm or protect islam except with the premission of Allah, and those loosers think like the way an ant would think.

thanks for this nice discussion ya akhi

wasalam

:hijabi:

hassana elkoussi

I do agree that it's the moslems who need reform, but i strongly believe as well that this simple question of " should Islam be reformed ?" -even if we express our disapproval of it - shows extreme disrespect to Allah swt.
Allah the Exalted says in his Holy Book in Surah Al Ma'ida "This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed my favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion."How can we then discuss, or even think about, reforming what Allah has perfected ?

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
All Muslims will say 'Islam is perfect' however Muslims are not and that is why I believe certain elements of 'reform' are necessary. Reform is a very broad term, thus it is better to specify what we mean by reform.

I certainly do not believe in the way they talk about reform, similar to 'Reformation of Christianity'.
To me, spreading knowledge, building institution, getting rid of Shirk and Bidah, etc... are all elements of Reform. If we are to organize and institutionalized these concepts on a political level then it is certainly reform, however we are not creating anything new Islam.

Let me give you a quick example. If the government in a Muslim country outlaws making sujood to graves, they are not creating anything new and are only implementing an existing principle based on Sharia.

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

This particular quote is often seen/heard nowadays.
islam is perfect and muslims aren't.

It gives the reader/listener the impression that we muslims seem to be apologetic of what is happening around us. (I am sure none of us mean it that way). It is we muslims who are imperfect while others are 'perfect 10's'.

NO! It is the nature of human beings to err and muslims being human beings err just like other people do.

Have we not come across any other community of people in history who has made mistakes, changed their religion according to their whims and desires?

Have we not come across countries whose state of affairs were in a complete mess about hundred years ago?

Have we not come across countries/communities who mercilessly massacred others due to their ethnicity/belief/race?

Did we not have leaders who stated that it was the right of the 'worldly wise' race to rule over the less 'worldly wise' ones?

I would prefer the usage 'human beings are not perfect'

It is not meant to be a personal attack on nyerekareem, my brother in Islam.:astag:

I fully agree that muslims need to reform, but not Islam!

This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. 5:3

Salam

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
LOL NOT!

Islam is perfect, it needs no reformation. However, muslims and shaykhs might need a little reformation to drop the tribal and cultural influences and stick with only the Quran, sunnah and hadith.

If you take out all the cultural influences, you will have pure Islam.

abu'muhammad

The thing missing is knowledge and its dispersal. The importance of knowledge can be understood from the first revelation “ iqra…” to prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wasallam). If correct knowledge is anticipated and executioned, inshaAllah the problems would be resolved.Some of the people we find, theoretically are 100 % ,but practical implementation is not that much. And What counts ? I met many people who knew shuyookhs and their talk, bayaanaats etc. and when we discuss with them on certain matter, they talk with full wisdom , but occasionally to one of them talk resumed upto “asr –salaat” ,then it was a time to salaat. I asked let’s go together. He nodded and said hesitantly – “no, you go !!!”. And I knew he’s among theoretical. May Allah bless and give us all understanding. A two hour deen talk ended in such a manner ! This is the case when mustahabb is given more importance than fards. Imam Jawziyyah has written on such matters of heart diseases. To also see the reasons by which , the people leave/miss salaat then further who talk of sunni , salafi and so on. Most of the people lose that in shopping, markets , other affairs etc. the reasons – excuses by which females leave that are also many ,and remian unworried of left salaats. Although all know as-salaat is fard upon both. Such are the affairs of muslims. me too included. May allah set our affairs correct. The terms that are mostly misunderstood not among non-muslims but also among muslims that I think -“ Kaafir , fatwa and jihad” . those terms are simple and plain to understand yet muslims misunderstand them , so what they could give understanding to those who are not muslims ? This misunderstanding is bringing detrimental effect in muslim world , which we see. So a lot redressal needed. May Allah guide us.Another , is lack of unification among the muslims. The people are compounding/joining themselves with surnames, regions etc. unaware or may be aware of the fact that sahaabahs and other leading figures of ummah were from diverse origins. may Allah give muslims a correct understanding of islam as prophet (Sal Allahu Alayhi wasallam) came with.

tolgatemur

Winds of change

I dont understand the question well..

a) Does reform in Islam means reform in Kuran? on the other hand changing the words of ALLAH?

b) Does reform in Islam means reform in the conduct of the life of Islam society to adapt us for the changing world?

if it is a it is not debateable and not even imagineable.

if it is b :
I think as the world turns we always have to change to adapt to the changing worlds in the light of Kuran . Kuran is a good guide to adapt ourshelf to be more competitive in the changing worlds.

The world is changing so we all have to change to live on

HIJAB_86

:salam2: am new comer here i want to say something about this that reform of Isl am is needed or not... m agree with this point that islam is perfect we should try to perfect ourselves .... any i think everyone know that where muslims are going they,re going towrads modernism and saying that Islam is backward religion but i think Islam is one religion that is modern in this world we ,re not perfect and why we,re not perfect because we dont like to read Quran and if we read then just as a cram lesson ....we should try to read its tafseer and also the sayings of Holy Prophet(pbuh) then we can become perfect ....and if a muslim ,ll become perfect then this question ,ll never ever arise because a perfect muslim knows that reformation of islam is needed or not.thank u

abu'muhammad

JazakAllahu khair, Abdul Musa’ir. (and for PM too. )

Allah knows about the people and their states.

The thing is : the people follow that what they have seen from cradle, accepts the culture of their surroundings or community ; and think that this is islam. Although Islam is following Quran , sunnah and ijmaa of predecessors. Leaving these will not help muslims To look, See how many muslims have good relation – attitude towards their neighbours and relatives, amazing are the issues of quarrels among them. In some cases, Look into distribution of property of parents. When such issues come ; brother is not of brother or sister, and none ready to solve- compromise the matter, Giving wrong and incomplete information to mufti to seek fatwa on their way and so on . Then issues goes in court and they get economically finish. It would had been wise , if someone has leaved that which is bringing differences and animosity. Muslims not keen to give their children education of deen and dunya, thinking they have tongue of kalimah and Allah is oft merciful and forgiving. So isn’t necessary to have knowledge of quran and sunnah to obey upon orders of Allah . may Allah protect and guide us. Some people do celebrate mawlid ( prophet’s birthday) thinking this is right !!! . on a discussion site on net that I visited, people officalised mawlid . I don’t know how ? but they wrote their opinions of love and reminder nad so on. Although this is sin and bidah. People lament on Husayn’s (radhiAllah anhum) martyrdom , thinking doing good to ahlal-bayt. Although we are forbidden to do . Is this the way of showing love - condolence to ahlul bayt ?. people have fallen in beliefs which suits their interests and understanding, leaving some and following some. .Although Allah commanded us to enter the religion perfectly .When something is against their belief and understanding, they quote irrelevant religious matters and examples to defend their wrong understanding. May Allah guide me and all with correct knowledge. May Allah guide muslims.

Abu.Amirah

Assalamu aleikum,

ISLAM IS PERFECT BUT MUSLIMS ARE NOT!!!
We dont need to reform Islam but we need to reform ourselves.This religion is complete and its a way of life,whoever hold tight to the Quran and the sunnah of the Prophet then for sure you are on the right track.

In the Quran 5:3
Allah is telling us in the end of this Ayyat....(Today I have perfected your religion for you,completed my favor upon you and approved Islam as a deen (way of life for you ) ....(translation of Malik)

And the Prophet (s.a.w) in his last sermon said,

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and TAKE THESE WORDS TO THOSE WHO COULD NOT BE PRESENT HERE TODAY.

O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your LORD, and that HE will indeed reckon your deeds. ALLAH has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity. Allah has Judged that there shall be no interest and that all the interest due to Abbas ibn 'Abd'al Muttalib (Prophet's uncle) shall henceforth be waived...

Beware of Satan, for the safety of your religion. He has lost all hope that he will ever be able to lead you astray in big things, so beware of following him in small things.

O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your wives only under Allah's trust and with His permission. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People, listen to me in earnest, worship ALLAH, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

Remember, one day you will appear before ALLAH and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.

O People, NO PROPHET OR APOSTLE WILL COME AFTER ME AND NO NEW FAITH WILL BE BORN. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray.

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O ALLAH, that I have conveyed your message to your people".

So brothers and sisters Islam dont need to be reform we need to think alot of this last sermon of the Prophet (s.a.w) and for your you will learn alot!!

May Allah guide us all to the right path.

Jazakallahu kheir!!

shichemlydia

for those who voted...yes reform..

salam alikoum,
i was amazed to see that there are people who believe that islam should be reviewed to adjust for this time, i am telling them check out this verse of the quran:
اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتى ورضيت لكم الإسلام دينا " سورة المائدة "
who said that reform is needed, means that he is looking for invention in islam (bidaea) which is the perfect way to stray (dalala).
we should follow islam, islam is not supposed to follow us.
wa salam alikoum