Religions based on Angelic revelation

Ladybug3478

Hello,

Please understand that no disrespect is intended with this question and in fact, I hold the Islamic way of life and the Quaran in great esteem. My Quaran is kept on a high self in a cabinet with other religions texts dedicated to the one God.

So, with that being said...

If anyone is familiar with such religions as the Shakers and Mormons and the fact that these religions began with a person stating an Angel appeared to them and told them to start these religions either by assisting with deciphering stones or in other fashions etc... can you please tell me how Muhammed and Islam stand apart?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rashadi

Hello,

Please understand that no disrespect is intended with this question and in fact, I hold the Islamic way of life and the Quaran in great esteem. My Quaran is kept on a high self in a cabinet with other religions texts dedicated to the one God.

So, with that being said...

If anyone is familiar with such religions as the Shakers and Mormons and the fact that these religions began with a person stating an Angel appeared to them and told them to start these religions either by assisting with deciphering stones or in other fashions etc... can you please tell me how Muhammed and Islam stand apart?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Greeting sister ladybug and no offense taken by your question. In Islam, the Prophet Muhammad(saaws) is the last and final prophet to mankind. He confirmed what came before him and the Quran clarifies that he is the seal of all prophets. Another thing is, a revelation from God has to be perfect, with no contradictions or errors. If you study these newly invented religions and cults carefully, you'll notice that there are difficulties with them and they most of the time fall quickly. As for the Quran, it unique because at the time it was revealed mankind was in darkness, the Arabs were living horrible and they were not unified but hostile tribes. After the revealtion of the Quran and within 25 years, these very same people changed from a hostile and barbaric people to a mercyful and kind people. They became the leaders of science, technology, education, arts, philosophy, etc. They put an end to persecution and injustice in places where it went. Conquerers of Muslim lands who for centuries persecuted Muslims ended up many times embracing Islam. Countries which never were a part of the huge Islamic empire have some the largest Muslim populations in the world.

The Quran is free of contradictions or errors. A rational and open minded person who examines the Quran with reason will come to notice that it is truly from God. For Example the Mormons or Jehovas Witness, don't get me wrong there are kind and generous people among them but one will easily notice flaws and things which contradict with logic. And please don't get me wrong my sister because I do not hate Christian or anyone for that matter. The Christians and the Jews are the closest to us(Muslims) and I have many friends that are Christians and others. In fact, my family except for my 2 brothers are all Christians and they don't speak to me of course because of my Islam but I have to pick truth over family tradition. I would advide that the next time you decide to read the Quran, pray to God to show you the truth, ask Him for guidance and read it with care and reflection or at least with an open mind.

Ladybug3478

Hello Rashadi,

First, thank you for the information. You're right, so far I've seen the contratradictions in the other religions. Ex. From my understanding - the man who founded Jehovah Witnesses ( no disrespect intended) predicted the end of the world only to find out that the world carried on after his prediction. Sorry, can you help me to understand one more thing? Miracles. I am not exactly sure what were the criterion set for Prophets but, I do believe that preforming miracles was essential. Now, I understand that the Quaran in its self a Miracle but, it's not clicking in my head. How can this definition of miracle be set apart from someone putting a twist on the term 'Miracle'? Again, I want to make it clear that no disrespect is intended. And, in fact I'm trying my best to ask questions that constantly pick at me without saying anything negative towards your Prophet.

Oh yes, everynight I ask God to lead me down the right path.

Thanks for taking the time.

Rashadi

Hello Rashadi,

First, thank you for the information. You're right, so far I've seen the contratradictions in the other religions. Ex. From my understanding - the man who founded Jehovah Witnesses ( no disrespect intended) predicted the end of the world only to find out that the world carried on after his prediction. Sorry, can you help me to understand one more thing? Miracles. I am not exactly sure what were the criterion set for Prophets but, I do believe that preforming miracles was essential. Now, I understand that the Quaran in its self a Miracle but, it's not clicking in my head. How can this definition of miracle be set apart from someone putting a twist on the term 'Miracle'? Again, I want to make it clear that no disrespect is intended. And, in fact I'm trying my best to ask questions that constantly pick at me without saying anything negative towards your Prophet.

No problem and good points you brought up about miracles. The prophets of God were supported with miracles or signs so that their people would see the proof. For example, during the time of Moses(Pbuh), sorcery and this sort of stuff was very popular among the people in Egypt. God supported Moses with miracles such as his stick turning into a snake and more. The sorcerers who were gathered by Pharaoh recognized that the miracles performed by Moses(pbuh) were real and from God while theirs were just tricks before the eyes of the people. The sorcerers acknowledged Moses as a true prophet from God and they testified that his God was the only one and true. Of course Pharaoh became angry and chased after them; I am sure you know the rest of the story, lol. The same thing with other prophets such as Solomon who could understand the speech of animals and other things.

In the time of Jesus Christ(pbuh), the people were fascinated with healing and that sort of stuff. Jesus was given the ability to perform amazing miracles such as cure illnesses, raise the dead, etc. These miracles were signs given by God and it was by God's permission that they were able to do these things so that people would have assurances. As for Muhammad(pbuh), the skill and pride of the Arabs was poetry and their language was it its peak. The Pagan Arabs took great pride in their poetry, they use to hang them up inside the Kaaba and even make money during competition. The Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) piece by piece over a period of approximately 23 years. The Quran, although is not a book of poetry, put the proud Arabs to shame. It challenged them to produce a chapter like it and they were unable. They gathered all their bests poets and they all were fascinated and could not explain it or defeat it. They began making assumptions like he is a skilled sorcerer but they knew him well and knew that he was no poet.

They thought that a demon had taken control over him but they realized that was not the case either. Nevertheless, all the great miracles that the prophets performed were amazing but were not there to witness them but we can only imagine how nice they were. The biggest miracle given to Muhammad(pbuh) is the Quran and it is still with us. What makes the Quran a miracle? First, as I said above, it it is not a book of poetry yet it is the most beautiful book in the Arabic language. Its style, rimes, elequense, and unmatched verses makes it special. The Quran is in Arabic and it has not changed since day one. Today there are millions of Muslims of all ages who have memorized the entire Quran in the original language. This tradition goes back to the time of the Prophet himself and it has been passed on from generation to generation until this day. It has gone for 1,400 years without change, deletions, additions or corruptions. If one were to get rid of all the Qurans, Muslims would bring it back the same day without a word missing.

Of course a translation is not the actual Quran but I am referring to the original which is still here and preserved. God Himself promised to preserve it and it has passed the test so far. The Quran also makes references to scientific facts which only recently were discovered, yet it is not a science book. There are no different versions of the Quran but all Muslims read the same Quran and every Muslim has some portions of the Quran memorized because we recite them daily during our 5 daily prayers. Besides that, as I already stated above it is memorized in totality by millions of Muslims of all ethnic groups and young and old, male and female. In my own opinion, this is my favorite miracle about it because it can never be lost. When the author of the Quran challenges mankind to produce a scripture like it, it means a book like it. A book that is unique and special like the Quran. something the best poets can't match, a scripture that will never be corrupt and will be memorized by millions. A scripture which will give guidance, be free of errors and contradictions and over a billion people will live their life around the text of this scripture.

Another amazing thing I have discovered about this book is the way the author recounts an incident. The Quran hardly even gives too much detail or take up space with irrelevant issues but it gives important information which we can take, verify and get a decent idea of what went wrong. I find this unique and interesting how it won't go into much detail yet at the same time give important information. It is also interesting that even harsh critics of Islam such as Sir William Muir, and others have admitted and testified to the authenticity of the Quran and how it has remained uncorrupted. They may not like it or want to accept it as the word of God but they at least are honest enough to admit and verify the fact that to this day the Quran is unchanged and preserved. The Quran is not only a written script but it is also oral and it is the most recited/read book. According to Will Durant, another non-Muslim historian, the Quran is the most influential book ever on the face of the earth which is written by one man. Of course we don't believe it was written or made by Muhammad(pbuh) but these are his statements.

The Quran is a direct revelation/dictation from God to the prophet through the agency of the angel Gabriel. There was one western scholar I can't remember his name, but he stated that "if Muhammad authored the Quran and did the things that others accuse him of, he would have to have been the greatest genius that ever lived". It is a well known fact that Muhammad(saaws) could not read nor write and the way the Quran is matchless also proves that it couldn't be the work of another person. If it were the works of many people, there would have been errors, contradictions and it would have been a big mess yet we see consistency in it and free of it. Over the centuries many books have been written against the Quran and believe it or not, I read many of them and not one of them actually proves anything. There was one book I read which was kind of huge and all the author could say was "Muhammad must have" "likely" "possibly" etc. There was nothing concrete or for a fact. It was all assumption and and no proof.

Before I end, I wanted to come back to the point of miracles. Today there are people and ministers on tv who claim to be performing miracles and even claim to be leaders or prophets but don't fall for it. They are tricks and scandals. Before I embraced Islam, the last church I went to was a United Pentecostal Church. The funny thing was my best friend always bragged about miracles supposedly his pastor could perform but I never saw him do anything when I was there except scream, dance, sing, fall and do funny stuff. After I stopped going to the church, I happened to find out he was caught in a financial scandal. He had his own church burned in order to get insurance money and they got over 500,000 dollars but he didn't even purchase a new church with it. A lot of these actors pretent to be doing miracles and even if they appear so it is bogus. Another one was Jim Jones of Peoples Temple. He supposedly healed people and performed miracles yet his entire cult(over 900 people) ended up committing suicide and drank poison.

I hope I was able to help in anyway InshaAllah(God willing) and sorry if I wrote too much. No offense taken by any of your questions, feel free to ask if you have more and I am sure there are others that can assist you as well. Take care and may God guide us all ameen.

shichemlydia

trial to help...

salam alikoum,
Actually, if you read through the quran, you will find the answer to all of your questions,
the idea is simple, since the time of the first messenger ADAM, allah swt always sent prophets to warn the people, and tell them to worship the one god who created them and tell them about the last day,

it is said that allah swt sent some thousands of prophets, some of them are mentioned in the quran and some are not, and allah swt states this very clearly in the quran.

we muslims believe that all the religions came from the one god allah swt, and people changed them, we believe in the book of jesus, moses; david...we believe in all of them. we believe that the message has been always the same since the time of ADAM, "worship allah swt alone". and this is the message of all the prophets.

we do not believe in a bible that was issued in 2007 because there was no prophet in 2007. we have the unique quran which mohamed pbuoh recited and we still have it in its original language. it is one, so it must have come from allah swt.
the angel gabriel who visited all the prophets, also visited mohamed pbuoh and inspired to him the words of allah swt. mohamed also is mentioned in the bible and the christians at his time recognised him, some of them believed in him, and some did not.
concerning the fasting in islam, we have the month of Ramadhan, which is abligatory to fast by muslims, and we have some days which are good to fast and not compulsory....
wa salam alikoum

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Peace be with you...

Brother Rashadi has explained the topic very well. JazakAllah khair.

I will just try to mention few points to keep in mind while you research.

1) Muhammad (peace be upon him) had been with Arabs for a complete 40 (forty) years. However, he did not even say a word regarding a new Shariah. If it was invented by him (pbuh), he must have told someone (may be family members or friends like Abu Bakr (r.a)). Allah mentions in Quran Surah Yunus (Jonah), "Say, "Had GOD willed, I would not have recited it to you, nor would you have known anything about it. I have lived among you a whole life before this (and you have known me as a sane, truthful person). Do you not understand?""(Yunus 10:16),

2) If Quran was written by him, he must know how to read and write. Allah says in the Quran. In Sura Al-`Ankaboot, we read: "And thou (O Muhammad) wast not a reader of any scripture before it, nor didst thou write it with thy right hand, for then might those have doubted, who follow falsehood." (Al-`Ankabut 29:48).

3) Mu'jizah (Signs to prove the truth) has given to the prophets to challenge the people in the field which they were best in. Example; Quran to challenge Poetry with Arabs, Stick of Prophet Musa (Moses) to challenge Black majic, Power over all Jinn and other creations (eg; wind, animals and birds which Allah wished to Sulaiman (a.s) to challenge the powerful Kings and Queens who had power over Jinn by using black majic etc etc etc......

I would also like to advice you to read History books to confirm the truth which we are saying about. Always try to be open minded. May God (Allah) help you to find Truth.

Always feel free to ask any Question that may arise on your mind.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
salaam

welcome to TTI

If you look at mormonism which developed for the christains belief system it still upholds many christain ideas eg Jesus pbuh is still being God.

Islam as muslims see it is a religion that calls people back to what all the propehts preeched - Worship one God with no partners.

Islam means - sumbission to the will of God therefore muslims believe all the prophets were muslims as they were sumbitting to the will of God.

we dont see this as a new religion but a continuition of the belief in one God given to all the prophets

peace

BigAk

Hello Rashadi,

In addition to our brother Rashadi's excellent post and explanation, I may add something that is written in the christian bible; a quote of Jesus himself (pbu). Jesus is talking about John the baptist.

"For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he." (Luke 7:28)

Yet, John the baptist (pbu) performed absolutely no miracles. This is an indication that miracles are not prerequisite for a great prophet of God. A prophet of God does not have to prove himself by miracles.

Also, in the bible:

"For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect." (Matthew 24:24)

Therefore, miracles don't always mean a true prophet.

Reason I'm quoting the bible; it's in case you're a christian and consider the bible your book.

LadyBug; I appreciate your presence here in our community. May Allah guide you and guide all of us to the right path. Ameen.

Ladybug3478

Wow, this is so great - thank you all!

Rashadi,
I am understanding your words (or would like to believe I am <smile>) and, have a question. I have always heard how the Arabs were challenged to create at least one verse (I believe it was one verse - correct me if I'm wrong) that attempts to mirror the Quaran but, I never understood what that meant. In fact, I was thinking to ask it only to come across your definition - cool! Moving forward - my question is this...you stated that the completed text (or something to that effect) and what the completed text has done and stands for but, wasn't this challenge put forth before the completed text? If so, can you also tell me what a few verses may contain that an ordinary/ exquisite poet or someone else would have difficulty producing? Thanks for taking the time to provide so much information!

BigAK,
John the Baptist is a great example of a prophet without miracles. It makes me think about my faith in him and how did it come to be. First, I was taught to believe and him, then made aware of the circumstances with his conception and the blessing to his parents, prophecy that he was to be born and to pave the way for Jesus, his family relation to Jesus, and Jesus attesting to his Prophethood, Jesus submitting to God and desiring John the Baptist's baptism. I constantly refer to (in my mind) how there were two Prophet's at this each with their own followers (Just realized/ thought about how Islam states each Prophet has its own followers) and realize that it's obviously okay with God...something that has given me great confusion in the past. And that fact, with MANY others has definitely showed me that I cannot rely on my own knowledge. Anyway, thank you for mentioning as I can use it as a guideline while researching the Islamic Prophet's life.

Oh yeah, thanks for having me. :)

Rashadi

Wow, this is so great - thank you all!

Rashadi,
I am understanding your words (or would like to believe I am <smile>) and, have a question. I have always heard how the Arabs were challenged to create at least one verse (I believe it was one verse - correct me if I'm wrong) that attempts to mirror the Quaran but, I never understood what that meant. In fact, I was thinking to ask it only to come across your definition - cool! Moving forward - my question is this...you stated that the completed text (or something to that effect) and what the completed text has done and stands for but, wasn't this challenge put forth before the completed text? If so, can you also tell me what a few verses may contain that an ordinary/ exquisite poet or someone else would have difficulty producing? Thanks for taking the time to provide so much information!

BigAK,
John the Baptist is a great example of a prophet without miracles. It makes me think about my faith in him and how did it come to be. First, I was taught to believe and him, then made aware of the circumstances with his conception and the blessing to his parents, prophecy that he was to be born and to pave the way for Jesus, his family relation to Jesus, and Jesus attesting to his Prophethood, Jesus submitting to God and desiring John the Baptist's baptism. I constantly refer to (in my mind) how there were two Prophet's at this each with their own followers (Just realized/ thought about how Islam states each Prophet has its own followers) and realize that it's obviously okay with God...something that has given me great confusion in the past. And that fact, with MANY others has definitely showed me that I cannot rely on my own knowledge. Anyway, thank you for mentioning as I can use it as a guideline while researching the Islamic Prophet's life.

Oh yeah, thanks for having me. :)

Greetings again sister, you can check out this link about the unique Quran and the how it has not been matched:

http://www.theinimitablequran.com/uniquelitform.pdf