Remembrance of Death

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Bismi`Allaahi Rahmaani Raheem
As salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuhu

THE REMEMBRANCE OF DEATH

There is no doubt that death ends the delights and pleasure of this life, as the Messenger of Allaah sal-Allaahu 'alayhi wa-salaam has told us:

" Increase in your remembrance of the destroyer of pleasures (ie. death). For verily, one who remembers it when enduring the hardships of like, it widens for him (ie. he no longer feels overburdened with the hardships he is experiencing). Whenever one remembers it at times of opulence, it will cause him to feel restricted and burdened (ie. he will not then be too involved with this life and will start to reflect on the serious and heavy matters awaiting him)".

- this was reported by an-Nasaa`ee, at-Tirmidi, Ibn Majaah and others. at-Tirmidhi said it was hasan ghareeb. But, Shaykh Albaani said it was sahih, as there were many witnesses

The pleasures are what prevent a tear to be shed, nor any sadness and grief to be felt by the heart. So increase in your remembrance of death, in an attempt to feel the terrors and horrors that will follow it, out of fear of Allaah. Indeed this is easy for the one whom Allaah wishes to make it easy for.

from: Weeping from the Fear of Allaah - by Shaykh Husayn al-'Awaayishah

In Imaam Suyootee’s tafseer; there was mention of a sahabee who had a grave in his house and everytime he used to feel like he was going away from Allah ta'ala, and indulging in the material things of this life, he used to go into this grave. He would tell his wife to throw sand on him, subhaanAllah, and while she did this he used to repeat the ayah in Surah Al Mu'minoon:

"My Lord! Send me back," [23:99] [Repeating this line over and over, crying out with a fervent desire to be returned back to the dunya]

So that I may do good in that which I have left behind!" [23:100] [Repeating this line over and over, hoping to be given a chance to attain more 'amal-us-saalih]

Here, he would speak to his nafs, promising all the good deeds he would do --- if only he were to be returned to the dunya.

The answer to his cries:

No! It is but a word that he speaks, and behind them is Barzakh (a barrier) until the Day when they will be resurrected. (Al-Mu'minun 23:100)

SubhaanAllah.

When he'd be about to suffocate, no more space to breathe, nor any fresh air, he would ask his wife to dig him out. He used to talk to himself, to his nafs, oh my nafs fulfill the promise you have made, fulfill these promises before you reach a day, a day when only your deeds will avail you.

When he speaks to his nafs, when he makes the dust his bed, and his only companion is the dood [worms], it is a sign, a reminder, of death, that which makes one truly ponder the horrors of death. One must hope that when the angel of death comes that we wil not be in the ma’asiyah [sin] – for this is a great loss.

SubhaanAllah.

This was part of a naseeha a brother gave with regards to tawbah in the What is Islam 1 room in PalTalk.

May Allah ta'ala save us from such a reality, those who meet Allah ta'ala on that Day and their deeds are not sufficient, those who on that day would give anything to be returned to the dunya, promising to do righteous good deeds, and may we remember death often and much and strive harder in this deen as a result. Aameen!

wa/salam

Qoseen

jazakallah

salaamz,
jazakallah for posting this ,i really needed it .somtyms im nt the best i cn be n i dont no wt to do.i try to punish myself e.g. cuttin and burning so dat i dont do it agen .but its nt my body allah created it and i have no rite to harm it .alhamdulilah i've read this post. now i can try to immitate what the sahabi did. jazakallah once agen.may the peace and blessing of allah be upon u n his mercy and forgiveness

halah

Jazakallah khair

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet(p.b.u.h.) used to say;''O Allah I seek refuge of you from the punishment of the grave and punishment of the hell fire,the trial of life and death, and the trial of false Messiah.'' (Bukhaaree)

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Death is something no one likes to talk about, but should be remembered very often. It can come at any time, :shymuslima1: .We should be all be mindful of death, subhanallah!! Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing!:hijabi: