revert not convert...

MSHH

Salam all,

i'm new to this site, i found about it when i was watching a beautiful quran recitation for Shk. Mushari Rashed...

I would like to thank you all for what combine us here is the love of allah and islam :D

i just want to highlight on something.. alhamdolellah i was born muslim but for those who where not i think they should not say convert but they should say REVERT cuz we all are born muslims and our parents whom made us what ever religion they r on...

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
:salam2:

I'm still getting used to the whole revert/convert concept. I still say I am a convert because that is the Western non-Muslim perspective, and that is what I am used to.

JenGiove

I'm still getting used to the whole revert/convert concept. I still say I am a convert because that is the Western non-Muslim perspective, and that is what I am used to.

Brother, I know what you mean. Think of it this way. when you get baptized into Christianity, they say that your past sins are washed away and you start anew. It is the same in Islam. When you say your Shahada, you 'revert' back to a state of innocence and you get a second chance at earning a place in Jannah.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself

Brother, I know what you mean. Think of it this way. when you get baptized into Christianity, they say that your past sins are washed away and you start anew. It is the same in Islam. When you say your Shahada, you 'revert' back to a state of innocence and you get a second chance at earning a place in Jannah.

It makes sense.

So I'm double reverted then. I was baptised as a Christian when I was 9 or so, and then I just took shahada 6 weeks ago.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

All humans are born Muslims. That is the reason the word revert is correct. You go back to the original state.

A_Happy_Convert

Assalamo alaikum,

While it's true that we revert back to the original form we are born in, there is also a reason behind the word "convert."

con·vert/kənˈvərt/
Verb: Cause to change in form, character, or function.

Islam is not just a religion, it's a complete lifestyle. I am not the same person as I was before saying the Shahada. Therefore, I have converted my entire lifestyle to align it with the beliefs of this beautiful deen. My form is different on the outside as you can no longer see my shape, my character is different since Allah's light is flowing within my heart, and my function is different because my goals on this earth are not what they once were.

So to me, revert and convert both have special meanings.

Brother, I hope as a born Muslim you can understand where I'm coming from :)

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Around Muslims I say revert.

But with other non-Muslims I say convert because its hard for me to explain to them....

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

I call myself born muslim who has returned back to Islam.

I don´t need to say it to muslims here; to them I am just a muslim but to non-muslims sometimes.