Role in Domestic Violence Dispute

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam alaikum wa rahmatullah,

If you see a family member engaging in domestic violence with his wife and children, is it your responsibility to tell them to stop? Will you be accountable for not having done so before Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala on the Day of Judgment?

Or can you desist from doing so based on the fact that this person does not want your opinions on the matter, you will be interfering in the private life of a married couple and it can lead to a potential drift between you and that person?

Please provide references from the Quran and Sunnah. I understand that people have their opinions on this matter but I really just need daleel right now.

Precious Star

Domestic violence is prohibited in Islam.

So if you see someone committing a heinous sin, one that involves HARMING another human being, it us your moral duty to protect the vulnerable person. You cannot be motivated by concerns of a "drift" -- the other person's protection is more important!

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu Alaykium,

I believe it is your responsibility to stop violence despite whether it is your family member or not especially violence against women and children. What if it was you and your children, would you want someone to step up to the plate and help u guys?

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Walaykum Salaam,

I know you do not want personal opinions so the daleel is that Allah says in numerous ayahs to enjoin good and forbid evil. Also there is the hadith which says if you can stop an evil deed with your hand, do so, if you can stop it with your words do so and if you have no power to stop it, hate and dislike that evil in your heart. I am just summarizing the hadith. There was also another hadith relevant to this but cant remember it at the moment. InshaaAllah I will get all of that for you when i get time, inshaaAllah.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Like I said I need daleel.

Yes, we all know Islam prohibits domestic violence and no sane person would ever condone it but there are those who simply do not grasp the severity of the situation until you present them with proof that they must interfere in such a situation.

Additionally, and I repeat, the other significant issue at hand is the question of whether or not the person will be answerable to Allah for their lack of interference. Logic and common sense support the affirmative, but like I said, actual daleel can speak more volumes sometimes to those who have been deaf up until now.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
So I'm going to assume there's no daleel on the actual subject and that this is simply an issue where common sense intervenes.

JazakAllah khair to everyone for their responses.