Ruling on Poetry in ISLAM

shaik rais

Assalamualaiykum wa rahamatallahi Wa barakatuhu

plz can any1 explain me the "ruling on poetry in islam ",,.
i mean now a days most of the youth and users are so much involved in this sher o shayari,.i personally get irritated 2 see dere retared love poems and even though dey are not about love(rarely.,,.den dey will be frivolous,,of no benefit)but 99.99% its has a boy or a girl talking about other gender in der poems.,,couplets(romantic.,,,broken hearted),.,.etc ,i just wanted 2 know.,.,about the ruling of islam with respect 2 dis issue.,
i did some research on net and found out this

h t t p://w w w.iium.edu.my/deed/hadith/muslim/028_smt. h t m l

now could u plz tell me.,,which things are good and which are bad cuz.,.,its about da content of poem ,.,so.,.,if dats gud its allowed and if its bad its haram(i think so).,.,so what comes under bad.,.,and what comes under good ?,.i wil be thankful 2 u.,.if u give me a clear picture.,.,

Example:-
i knw dis is a stupid couplet.,,.and a futile.,useless .,,.thing of explanation which it carries.,.,so under which category will it fall.,.,halal or haram.,?

ham rashk ko apne bhii gavaaraa nahii karte

marte haiN vale un kii tamannaa nahii karte

1) we don't approve of envy/jealousy, not even/also our own

2) we die, but we don't {long for her / 'do her longing'}

He says,,,,,, in passion for her, ,,,,we've come to feel envy/jealousy even over ourself. Thus we've accepted the sacrifice of our life, but we've given up longing for her.. That is, if we long, then she will come or will call us there, and in both those situations my eyes will see her, and we'll feel envious;,, our hands will touch her hands,,, we'll burn with envy;.... our feel will fall on the earth of her street; we'll be jealous. Thus we've left off longing for her.,,,,

in another inference,, ,,,We have so much envy/jealousy that not to speak of the Rival, it doesn't even please us that we ourself would long for her. Although we're dying, we don't long to meet with her,,

, the way avarice for one's own wealth is the extreme of avarice and deprivation, so the same is true of the extreme of envy/jealousy: when we feel a longing for union, we ourself become jealous of our self.
-------end of example---
so plz help me by .,,.,.jazakALLAHU khair

shaik rais

and in my previous message by the word "users" i meant "facebook" users.,,.well its not the main thing wer im concentrating.,..the main issue is about poetry in islam,.,.

shaik rais

no one is helping me out here..i guess..i must have posted this question elsewhere.or its the policy of the site i have 2 wait for weeks.for the answer..??.sorry for being so rude..

MutlekM

:salam2:
I write poems and I don't really write any poems about love etc. But I am sorry I do not know the rulings. InshaAllaah somebody will be able to help you.
Peace:)

JenGiove

Brother, I don't mean to be rude but you first posted your question mere HOURS before accusing TTI of forcing you to wait "weeks" for an answer. Where is your patience as taught in the Qur'an and Sunnah? This is a world wide site not a regional one. We are not here at anyone's beck and call to jump when a question is posted. What about other people's prayers? Or work? Or spending time with family? What if the people who might know are asleep? Should they wake up simply because a question was posted? No. Have patience and allow Allah to guide the information you require to you.....even if it is not the information you were seeking. Sometimes, the answer to a prayer is no.

JenGiove

I was able to find this for you. I hope it helps to answer at least part of your question. Read it carefully and slowly because while the question posed is not what you asked about, withing the ruling is part of what you asked about.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/105316/poem
Ruling on writing the Basmalah at the beginning of poems, stories and articles
ar - en
What is the ruling on writing Bismillaah il-Rahmaan il-Raheem at the beginning of articles, reports, stories and poems?.

Praise be to Allaah.

If the subject matter of the articles, reports, stories and poems is good, such as calling people to adhere to Islam and good attitudes and the like, or the subject matter is permissible and is free of haraam and evil things, there is nothing wrong with starting them with the Basmalah, rather that should be done, seeking blessing by mentioning the name of Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, and following the example of the Holy Qur’aan, for Allaah started it with the Basmalah.

But if the subject matter of these articles, reports, stories and poems is haraam, then it is not permissible to write them or publish them, and it is not permissible to read them except for one who will denounce the falsehood contained in them; and it is not permissible to write Bismillaah il-Rahmaan il-Raheem at the beginning of them, because mentioning the name of Allaah, may He be exalted, in the context of something sinful is contrary to the respect and veneration of Allaah that is enjoined, and it may even lead to a kind of disrespect and mocking the name of Allaah, may He be exalted.

Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd said:

Anything that is haraam or makrooh, whether it is words or actions, it is not permissible to start it with any mention of Allaah, may He be exalted, because that is disrespectful, and is starting sin with an act of obedience.
An example of that is writing the Basmalah at the top of a poem that is not good, or at the beginning of a haraam game, or a haraam bet, or starting a misguided program with recitation of the Qur’aan or with praising Allaah or sending blessings and peace upon the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and so on.

The people have gone so far in messing about and deceiving the simple-minded people by giving the impression that these haraam things are permissible, and it has got so bad that they do a prostration for sin when one betting party wins over another, the winner prostrates for winning the haraam bet! This prostration is something that incurs the wrath and anger of Allaah. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

It was narrated that Mak-hool al-Azdi said: I said to Ibn ‘Umar: What do you think if the murderer, drinker, thief and adulterer remember Allaah? Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying). I will remember you” [al-Baqarah 2:152]. He said: If such a person remembers Allaah, Allaah will remember him by cursing him until he falls silent.

Shaykh Ahmad Shaakir (may Allaah have mercy on him) commented on this report in ‘Umdat al-Tafseer (1/273) where he said: What Ibn ‘Umar said is true, and applies fully to what the evildoers and promiscuous people do nowadays, when they remember Allaah at times of committing evil and in evil and immoral songs and acting, which they claim are educational, and in their fabricated stories, which they regard as literature, and in their toying with religion which they call religious poetry and nasheed, and they sing these nasheeds at times when they should show dignity and devotion to worship, to the point that they have confused the masses with regard to the rituals of Islam. All of them mention Allaah but Allaah will mention them by cursing them until they fall silent. End quote from Tas-heeh al-Du’aa’ p. 49.

Islam Q&A

shaik rais

jazakALLAHU khair sister.,.,,.ya.,,.,i knw dat was bad of me.,,.2 say like dat.,.,.i was kind of in need of urgent answer.,,ya i shud have had patience.,.,..,.., jazakALLAHU khair for ur reply.,.,regarding my question.,.and for explaing about patience.,,,