Ruling on putting pictures of men and women in forums

:salam2: All

I came across this fatwa and thought i share with you and see what your views are? ..

Ruling on putting pictures of men and women in forums

Question:

I supervise an Islamic forum. Some members add topics or signatures that include pictures of men, women, animals and cartoons. I actually delete all these pictures, but I need a fatwa to put on the forum, which will help me implement this ruling and correct my intention.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Taking pictures of animate beings such as humans, birds and animals, and putting them in forums or keeping them for memory’s sake, is not permissible, because of the general meaning of the evidence that image-making is haraam, and the fact that the one who does that is cursed. See the answer to question no. 22660 and 8954.

No exception is made from that except cases of necessity or urgent needs, such as ID pictures and the like.

Secondly:

The prohibition on picture making also applies to drawing cartoons or distorted images of animate beings, because of the report narrated by Muslim (2107) from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came from a journey, and I had hung over my door a curtain on which there were images of winged horses, and he told me to take it down.

This hadeeth indicates that making images of animate beings is haraam, even if they are imaginary and do not actually exist, because there are no real horses with wings.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (1/479): What makes images forbidden is the fact that they are images of animate beings, whether they are sculptures, or drawings on walls or fabric or paper, or they are woven, and whether they are done with a quill, a pen, or a machine, and whether they represent something real or something imaginary, whether they are small or large, beautified or distorted, or drawn in the form of lines representing a skeleton. What makes them forbidden is that fact that they depict animate beings, even if they are imaginary like pictures of ancient people, Pharaohs, or leaders and soldiers of the Crusades, or like the pictures of ‘Eesa (Jesus) and Maryam (Mary) that are kept in churches, etc., because of the general meaning of the texts, and because that is competing with the creation of Allaah, and because it is a means that leads to shirk. End quote.

Thirdly:

Putting pictures of women in forums is a reprehensible action, because it is using haraam images and because it may cause temptation and provoke desires. You have done well to erase all the images, because denouncing and removing evil is a duty upon everyone who is able to do that.

Every Muslim has to fear Allaah and realize that he will be asked on the Day of Resurrection about everything that he writes and publishes. He should not take any haraam matter lightly; a huge fire can start from a little spark.

We ask Allaah to help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

:salam2:

Phoyage

My question is if making cartoons is haram then watching them is too because you are incourging them to make more. (By paying them money... for cable)

I don't see anything wrong with taking a picture.
Some imams say that when you take a picture it is only capturing a shadow.
What does anyone say on this.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
:salam2:

:astag: is my wrong toooo? ohhh, i guess am have to find another one:(

jazak Allahu khayra for sharing

:wasalam: