Sad!

palestine

Servant of Allah
:salam2: i just wanted to share with you all the sad reality of culture biased people. i'm so sad, so heartbroken. Let me begin. Everyday of my life i keep thinking of my future...who i'm gonna marry and how it will work out. the sad reality is that i know that every culture around the world does not want their children to get married to other cultures. so my fear is that in case i ever fall for someone out of my culture i will never be able to marry them. and so i've been told by my uncles because as they say: you're not their same culture, language or custom. but all that really matters to me is religion. i grew up in usa and dont cherish culture, rather i've chosen religion above all cultures. i understand that most of the time parents know what's best for us but why do we act upon culture rather than religion. this is one of the things that makes me never want to marry. astaghfirullah. i don't want to make my parents mad in the future but i know that i'll only be allowed to marry someone from my culture and none other....what if i may not desire someone of my culture in the future...then what...am i gonna be lonely forever then. subhanallah. i hate cultures, even my own because of it's teachings. i just want RELIGION, DEEN. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT....WHAT DON'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND?! anyways asalamu alaykum. it's not important as it seems that way now.:salam2:

elixbrody

Eli/Sister
Salam Sister:
Have you ever tried talking to your parents? I kow it's hard in your "culture" to open to them, but you shoudl explain what you think about marriage, everything you said here, that you think about it everyday, that you want it to work out well. Try telling them all of this, then if they don't understand they tell them it's your choise and they only get to tell you their opinion. After all as weird as it might sound it's your life, you will sooner or later leave your parents and marry, you are the one getting married not them, and they should consider that.
I really hope you find the right one :)

hager

well

salam sister
i suggest to talk with ur parents again
yes..
palseting..u're not alone..
I don't mind if i marry someoen from another culture..
cuz,our love would get over culture.,customs...so on

and Both Of us..'re muslim...
So nothing wrong in that...!!
that's my opinion

I'm might be strange..
yes,i'm strange..i'm so socail..but,i perfere to be alonee..
I feel that i don't need for love/...so on Now

I 'm happy with my life...
I enjoy my studies..
I love my work..
I love ...everything...

I can't deny that i get jealous..when i find lovers,couples at school..?
i wish to have one..
but,not as them..in my school..they have fun..even in love..i didn't want that ....
who's know?
may be one day..i could have someone love me..we get married...and i'll bought always flowerss..
cuz,i adore flowers..:hearts:
i love everything have relation with romantic stuff...

So,don't worry sister.palsentine...

Enjoy ur life...
u're not alone..and u'dnot be alone all the time
u'll find a good partner,..inshallah..loves u always
No worries..
inshallah u'll find the right one for u

muslimad

Asalamu Alaykum!
:salam2:

Sister i understand sometimes its hard when your parents are brought up in a way different to yourself different society but being your parents first they should understand where your coming from and accept what you are trying to say. also one of the main problems of division in islam is culture.....(hmm source: own observations:girl3:) but not everyone falls into the category you defined and there are those muslims like yourself stepping out of the culture barrier and mashallah there are the muslims that like yourself put religion first and then other qualities which are important.

Dont worry to much on this and inshallah youll find what your looking for in the meantime have patience:):):)

and pray for the ppl who are lost in this trap.

Mairo

Maryama
Asalaamu aleikum sister,

I really feel for you. That kind of thinking is so unislamic. I pray that Allah may open their eyes to this kind of injustice, and that they will take your explanations of the situation to heart. You are correct, it is a person's deen, not the culture, which really matters. It is great that you have such a good head on your shoulders, you are really a wonderful example for our youth.

Best wishes to you, God bless

sal12

I know exactly how u feel as my parents are the same but i dont think about it and will start to think about it and deal with it when the time comes insha'allah. so for now just focus on ur studies and stuff and when the time for marriage comes deal with it then.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Keep making Duah and ask Allah to help you. May Allah protect you and make things easy for you sister.

Its important that you listen to your parents and obey them, unless of course what they tell you to do is haram. - In terms of marriage, you do have a choice, but at same time your father and family should be happy with the choice and give consent.

There are many many people in similar situation to you. Whether they are from Africa, Arabia, Europe or Asia in origin. This is all coming from unIslamic thinking. -

You have to have Sabr, marry a man who is kind, caring and who follows Islam properly. - In your case, if your family is cultural and will not accept you to marry anyone from outside, perhaps it is better you have Sabr until a person who is good Muslim and from your own background is there. Afterall, if you are a Muslima who cares about Islam a lot, there will be a Muslim too, from your background who cares too! inshaAllah!

We all need to be optimistic, we often have many problems and inshaallah things will turn out Okay for us. As long as we have patience and rely on Allah (the most High) Otherwise. Allah will give us in the next life! Amin. And Allah knows what is best for us. This life is short, and its is a test from Allah.

wasalamu alaykum

dianek

Advice from a sister in a mixed culture marriage...

There is some wisdom in not marrying outside your culture. Marriage is hard enough to get through with the everyday trials, when you throw culture differences into the mix, it is overwhelmingly difficult. Especially West vs. East. The logic would be, why make it more difficult on yourself than it has to be. As a former christian, I began remembering the passage in the bible about not being married to those unequally yoked. It truly does make a difference. Believe me, I live it EVERY day! I love my husband but I will tell you sometimes I wish I had just married a "good ole boy" from my hometown. Do you know how hard it is to find things to talk about cross-culturally? You don't share similar backgrounds, experiences, etc. For instance, I like when I can talk about a movie I once saw and have that person be able to discuss it with me......or discuss a book or event in our history......I can't with my husband! I can hear a song, and please don't turn this into a music is haram debate, that returns me to a special time or place in my life or a pleasant memory and share it with him! He doesn't understand or get it! I have expectations of what a "man" means in terms of what I saw from my father. Strong, manly, can fix anything, works hard no matter what pain he suffers and my father has a lot of health issues, but keeps on moving.....to my husband who I had to SHOW how to change a car tire, I had to show how to troubleshoot car problems, how to start a generator or lawnmower, how to work a microwave, how to do just about anything!!!!! Because they didn't have it in his home. He didn't have a license there or a car to deal with. Though I understand these were not issues for him there, to me it comes across like a pansy man......because I expect what I know! Cross cultural marriages are harder than a marriage has to be. Again, from someone who knows.

najbc

sister do not worry about because when you find Mr.right and he find you, nothing is going to come between you if you two truly love each other. so pray to allah to find you great person regardless of culture. good luck sis and i hope everything works out for you.

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Salaam,

Although, we might be Muslim we are ignorant of the most important thing of being a Muslim (togethers regardless of culture or race). We live in world were culture is more important than Islam when did culture became that important? Are we saying that what the prophets & companions want through to get us this religion is more than a stupid culture? Do we divide ourself because of culture? I pray to Allah SWT to woke us all Muslim up and for ones for the sake of young gerenation to forget about culture cos culture is not what is going to get you in the paradise. But inshallah because of the young gerenation that are being rise in the Western side will change that. I seeing the change and i real hope that would correct the ignorant of our parents and their parents. May Allah SWT forgive and guide us all!!

Stay safe & peace!

Mairo

Maryama
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

You have to have Sabr, marry a man who is kind, caring and who follows Islam properly. - In your case, if your family is cultural and will not accept you to marry anyone from outside, perhaps it is better you have Sabr until a person who is good Muslim and from your own background is there. Afterall, if you are a Muslima who cares about Islam a lot, there will be a Muslim too, from your background who cares too! inshaAllah!

Asalaamu alaikum brother,

But what happens if in fact the person she should marry, the one who completes her deen and is the partner Allah intended for her, happens to be from another culture? And then if her parents forbid her to marry, soley upon the reason that he is from a different culture? That would not be a valid reason for her parents to oppose such a marriage, at all. This is not a minor problem! In fact the attempt to impose such a judgement would transgress the rules of Islam. There are hadiths which report that for those who attempt to stop a marriage without a valid reason, they will incur the anger and wrath of Allah. What advice can you give if sister Palestine should find herself in this situation? (Please note that I am genuinely interested and value any information you or anyone else can provide on the subject)

Personally, I value multi-cultural relationships highly. I am not very comfortable in homogenous environments, I feel much more at home in diverse environments. I think it is a product of the way I was raised - my mother grew up all over the world, and we spent a lot of time traveling together as a family. One of the things I love so much about Islam is the way it brings people of all different backgrounds together. It is a beautiful thing to be "related" or united with one another solely on the grounds of common belief, and rightous actions.

God bless

umm hussain

asalam alaikum warahmatullah

I agree no one has the right to force or coerce anyone into a marriage they would rather not have, parents or not. At the end of the day it is their child stuck with that marriage and they can't get divorced either because it will bring 'shame' to the family. There are instances where an Imaam can conduct a marriage if the girls parents/guardians are refusing to let their daughter marry simply on cultural issues, so I have heard anyway from some people who have had to go down that route for the sake of happiness. Obviously this should be avoided as it causes strain and breaking family relations but there are a few hadiths to consider.

It is not permissible for a woman to be made to marry someone she does not want. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A previously-married woman should not be married without being consulted, and a virgin should not be married without asking her permission.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, how is her permission given?” He said, “By her silence.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6455).

‘Aa’ishah reported that a girl came to her and said, “My father married me to his brother’s son in order to raise his social standing, and I did not want this marriage [I was forced into it].” ‘Aa’ishah said, “Sit here until the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) comes. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and she told him about the girl. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent for her father, then he gave the girl the choice of what to do. She said, “O Messenger of Allaah, I have accepted what my father did, but I wanted to prove something to other women.” (Reported by al-Nisaa’i, 3217).

It was narrated from Khansa’ bint Khizaam al-Ansaariyyah that her father married her off when she had been previously married, and she did not like that. She went to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he annulled the marriage. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4845.

The majority of scholars are of the view that if a woman is married off without her consent, then the marriage contract is invalid, because it is a forbidden contract which cannot be validated. This is the view of the Shaafa’is and Hanbalis.

The view of the Hanafis, which was also narrated in one report from Ahmad, is that the contract is dependent upon the woman’s acceptance. If she gives her consent then it is valid, otherwise she may annul it.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, concerning the matter of a father forcing his daughter to marry: It is haraam for a man to force his daughter to marry a man whom she does not want to marry, and what is haraam cannot be validated or implemented, because implementing it or validating it goes against the prohibition that has been narrated. When sharee’ah forbids a matter, then we should not be involved in it or do it. If we validate it, that means that we have becomes involved in it and done it, and we have made it equivalent to the contracts that are permitted in sharee’ah.

Based on this, the correct view is that the marriage arranged by the father to a man whom his daughter does not want as a husband is an invalid marriage, and the contract is invalid, and should be examined by the court.

Anyway parents should also consider that with regard to the conditions and qualities that should be present in the husband, the most important of these is religious commitment. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If there comes to you one with whose religious commitment and character you are pleased, then marry [your daughter or female relative under your care] to him, for if you do not do that there will be fitnah (tribulation) on earth and much corruption.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1005) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1084.

Question:
What are the most important factors for a woman in choosing a husband? If she rejects a righteous man for some worldly reasons, will she be punished by Allaah?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The most important factors for a woman in choosing a husband are his attitude/behaviour and his commitment to religion. Wealth and lineage are secondary matters. The most important thing is that the potential husband should be religious and have a good attitude, because if a man has religious commitment and a good attitude, a woman has nothing to lose: if he keeps her (remains married to her), he will keep her on a reasonable basis, and if he divorces her, he will set her free on a reasonable basis. Moreover, a man who is religious and has a good attitude will be a blessing to her and her children, for they will learn good manners and religion from him. But if the prospective husband is not like that (is not religious), she should keep away from him, especially those who take the matter of prayer lightly or who are known to drink alcohol. We seek refuge with Allaah.

As for those who do not pray at all, they are kuffaar and it is not permissible for them to marry believing women. It is important for the woman to focus on the matter of attitude and religious commitment. With regard to the matter of lineage, this is a bonus. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If there comes to you (to propose marriage to your daughter etc.) a man with whose religious commitment and attitude you are pleased, then marry (your daughter) to him.”

But if you can manage to ensure compatibility (in terms of lineage and socio-economic status, etc.) as well, then this is better.
Islam QA