Salaam!

Matta

Greetings, fellow Muslims. I am proud to say that I am a recent convert to Islam and am currently learning Arabic. As you can tell from my username, my actual name is Matt. I believe it's the Arabic equivalent if I'm not mistaken, but if I am then please correct me. :p

Anyway, I'm from the US. Kentucky, to be more specific. Unfortunately, there are no mosques anywhere near where I live. :( And my community is a fundamental Christian conservative town, so I hate to say it but Islam has been really put down here. May Allah Almighty forgive them.

So, yeah, that's pretty much all there is. I'm trying to make it a daily habit to perform the prayers, but it's difficult for me. :(

Matta

Salaam to you, brother Matta and welcome to the forum. Indeed, Matta is the Arabic name for Mathew, the great disciple of Christ peace be upon him.

Does your town know of your conversion? You may be the blessing God is sending to them!

Take things at your own pace but try your best to do them. Prayer, fasting and alms giving are the main mandates of prime importance. Focus on them and get them right before anything else. Keep learning and feel free to ask us here any questions you might have, however small you think they may be. It is great to have you join us. You will have plenty of good friends here.

Shukran, friend.

To be honest, no. And I'm really wanting to. But I'm afraid that they'll judge me, making false accusations about our faith and such. They're not the most tolerant and open-minded people out there. However, I could at least tell my parents. Surely they'll understand my new place in Islam. And who knows? Perhaps with some gentle, kind persuasion, they could become Muslims too!

Alright, I will, as I have many questions that need answering, especially with Ramadan just around the corner now, which I'm kind of nervous about...

elysetexel

Shukran, friend.

To be honest, no. And I'm really wanting to. But I'm afraid that they'll judge me, making false accusations about our faith and such. They're not the most tolerant and open-minded people out there. However, I could at least tell my parents. Surely they'll understand my new place in Islam. And who knows? Perhaps with some gentle, kind persuasion, they could become Muslims too!

Alright, I will, as I have many questions that need answering, especially with Ramadan just around the corner now, which I'm kind of nervous about...

Salaam brother,

Welcome on the forum. You must know that alot of brothers and sisters here have or had the same problems as you. So if you need support you can get it here:SMILY149:

wassalama

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Greetings, fellow Muslims. I am proud to say that I am a recent convert to Islam and am currently learning Arabic. As you can tell from my username, my actual name is Matt. I believe it's the Arabic equivalent if I'm not mistaken, but if I am then please correct me. :p

Anyway, I'm from the US. Kentucky, to be more specific. Unfortunately, there are no mosques anywhere near where I live. :( And my community is a fundamental Christian conservative town, so I hate to say it but Islam has been really put down here. May Allah Almighty forgive them.

So, yeah, that's pretty much all there is. I'm trying to make it a daily habit to perform the prayers, but it's difficult for me. :(
Assalaamu alaikum brother Matt!

Welcome to home sweet home! we're glad to have you join us here alhamdulillaah.
Alhamdulillaah Allaah has shown you the haq.....(truth) and has guided you through His great mercy! all praise and thanks is for Him!
and inshaAllaah, He will help you as time goes on....one thing I'll like to tell you is that. You will be tested, and its going to be HARD! but Allaah will surely reward you if you bear with patience. May Allaah help you with all the difficulties.ameen
HAPPY RAMADAN TO YOU!!

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

Assalaamu alaikum brother Matt!

Welcome to home sweet home! we're glad to have you join us here alhamdulillaah.
Alhamdulillaah Allaah has shown you the haq.....(truth) and has guided you through His great mercy! all praise and thanks is for Him!
and inshaAllaah, He will help you as time goes on....one thing I'll like to tell you is that. You will be tested, and its going to be HARD! but Allaah will surely reward you if you bear with patience. May Allaah help you with all the difficulties.ameen
HAPPY RAMADAN TO YOU!!

:salam2:
Brother Matta,
You will be tested by Allah SWT. I pray that Allah SWT make your test easy one and you pass the test with honours, Ameen.

Talib H

AsSalaamu Alaikum Brother Matta,

Matta is indeed Mathew but somewhat uncommon. I want to congratulate you for reverting...may Allah(swt) guide us all into the right path, Ameen.

We're all behind you and pray for you.

WasSalaam

Talib H

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
WelCome

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:bismillah:
:salam2:

WelCome To TTI brother.

~May Allah swt help and guide you~Amin!

Take Care!

~Wassalam :)

:SMILY206:

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

Assalamu Alaikom my brother
Welcome to Islam and welcome to our TTI family , looking forward to read your conversion story .
Yes , as brother Ayman said . Matta is the Arabic name for Matthew :)
If you need any help with learning Arabic please don't hesitate to ask ^

Feel free to ask all your questions :)

mohammed nasser

Welcome brother Matta , happy to hear you are a convert , may God help you in doing prayer & fasting , Ramadan is so close now ,
regarding your town , i understand it is difficult to live with more conservatives but anyway they are your people , i think it is good to behave as you used to in the past , just modifying what is not coping with isalm , you are Muslim & american , all this are not contradictory but instead integrated , this is my opinion
Keep in touch
:)

Matta

Feel free to ask all your questions :)

Okay, but I kinda made a thread about it last night, but it's pending, which is weird. Do all threads do that? o_O

The major thing is, I'm underweight, 109 lbs last time I checked, and if I don't eat/drink anything for several hours, I get severe migraines and stomach cramps. And not to mention my family already worries about my poor diet, and I haven't even told them I'm Muslim yet.

But I'm at a loss here, brethren. Since I just accepted Islam this year, should I just...I don't know, skip it until I'm more ready for next year? It kinda crept up on me all of a sudden, and it's just a few weeks away. Sorry for coming to you all with my problems, I just don't know what to do...

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Okay, but I kinda made a thread about it last night, but it's pending, which is weird. Do all threads do that? o_O

The major thing is, I'm underweight, 109 lbs last time I checked, and if I don't eat/drink anything for several hours, I get severe migraines and stomach cramps. And not to mention my family already worries about my poor diet, and I haven't even told them I'm Muslim yet.

But I'm at a loss here, brethren. Since I just accepted Islam this year, should I just...I don't know, skip it until I'm more ready for next year? It kinda crept up on me all of a sudden, and it's just a few weeks away. Sorry for coming to you all with my problems, I just don't know what to do...

Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

First of all, sincere congratulations for choosing Islam as your way of life. May Allah Almighty reward you immensely for your proclamation of faith in the beautiful religion of Al Islam. Ameen :)

I think new user's threads are first screened by moderators before they are visible to others. I remember something similar happening when I was a new user. You can contact a moderator (username in bold green) if you don't see your thread within 1-2 days. InshaAllah they will be able to assist you in that matter.

About your query about fasting, I would ask you check with a doctor if you suffer from low blood pressure or are anemic. You can explain to him about fasting from sunrise to sunset after having a pre-dawn meal. See if he advises against it or not. In case if he does, then we can consult an Islamic Scholar and obtain a specific ruling for your condition.

The key to preparing our bodies for fasting is keeping ourselves constantly hydrated in the hours that we don't fast. This include drinking water, electrolytes and various fruit juices. Nutrition is also important. It is essential to get in some protein and carbohydrates when you aren't fasting so that the body can survive on it while you are fasting. Fruit intake also helps a great deal.

If you decide to fast, we would be glad to suggest a good diet that would keep your body in shape and provide it the essential nutrients that it needs.

And in ramadan you experience one of the beautiful things that you ever can, assistance from Allah Almighty. Though at times I personally thought that I could not survive fasting 13-14 hours as I like to snack every now and then. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even experience a single pang of hunger or thirst in my body till I broke my fast. Allah is All Merciful and we are in need of His help and mercy to undertake and carry out our obligations towards Him.

By the way, Ramadan in the United states should be from either August 11th or 12th. It is decided by sighting the crescent moon in various parts of the world.

Please don't hesitate in asking us any questions.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Welcome Matt, Masha Allah that you've reverted to Islam. I am also a revert. I live in Georgia, and sadly I have to be careful around our Mosques because as I've found, some are affiliated with the Nation of Islam, not the TRUE Islam :eek:

I live in a Christian-dominated place too, but you will feel very isolated if not around Muslims. My advice you to is to start saying "Assalamu alaykum" to everyone, LOL. You are bound to find SOMEONE in your city who is Muslim, even if they are "on the down low" Muslim and trying to blend in with the surroundings.

Are you 100% there is no Mosque near you? Many Mosques dont look like Mosques, the ones here are usually refurnished old brick buildings and such. Very...normal looking.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Shukran, friend.

Let me step in here if I may.

"With gentle, kind persuasion" No, dont ever try to persuade someone to Islam. Your job is to tell curious people about it, tell them your experience and THAT IS IT. There is no compulsion, and if Allah (swt) does not will them, then thats just how it is.

A friend of mine, who is a Muslimah, is a good Muslimah, she is. May Allah (swt) be pleased with her. But she sugar-coats Islam to non-Muslims trying to "persuade" them or something. And I'm like "Sister, you cannot tell them that dating and sex outside Marriage is okay, that isnt true. Tell them true facts or dont say anything at all"

So yeah, as a Muslim you can give Dawah, tell the curious about Islam, but dont meet someone with the intent to convert them. That is a Christian thing, we do not imitate the Christians. Please dont let this come off as rude >____<

On my first Ramadan, I was also a new revert, unprepared!
And I ended up breaking fast all the time because I was not waking up early enough to eat, then going without ANYTHING until 4pm and would shake, dry-heave as if i was going to vomit...Not nice.

If you are honestly unprepared, have no idea where to start, I would advise you to get tips on fasting. The trick is to waking up early enough to eat a meal and get hydrated before your fast begins.

Also, your weight and such seems like an issue. Can you see a doctor and ask him if fasting is okay for you? To a normal healthy person, Ramadan is not abusive to us. It's rewarding. If it's abusive there is something wrong. Allah (swt) only wants best for you, which is why young children, elderly, and the sick do not have to participate in fasting.

Muslimgirl101

welcomee brother I am soo glad you have converted and I hope your parents are happy about your conversion peace be with you and your family inshallah :)

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam

I donno about this , you should ask the admin :)
You meant fasting Ramadhan , may Allah make it easy for you .
8 days left , try to fast one of them , at first try to fast from dawn to after noon then from dawn to sunset .
As my sister alf2 said , ask a doctor about fasting .. don't tell him you're Muslim just talk about Ramadhan for Muslims and it's coming soon and try to ask him indirectly .
Don't be sorry .. we are your family , our hearts are open for you .