Salah al Ghauthiyya

abu_tamim

Lessons in Shirk: The Salat al Ghauthiyya.
Al Salamu 'Alaykum.

There are certain people who are very fond of an invented form of Salah (Namaz) called the Salat al Ghauthiyya or the Salat al Asrar.

Some salient points about this "Salah" are as follows:

It is specially offered in the month of Rabi' al Aakhir, probably because its proponents celebrate the 'Urs of Shaykh 'Abdil Qadir Gilani in this month. According to them, the prayer can be offered in other months as well.

According to them if one needs help and solutions for his problems then he should perform this 'prayer'.

The method is as follows:

After the Fard and Sunna of Maghrib, one is supposed to offer two rakahs of prayer.

In each rakah, after Sura Fatiha, the person is supposed to read Sura Ikhlas eleven times.

After Sura Ikhlas the person is supposed to read the following "dua":

<Ya Rasoola Allah hi Ya Nabi Allah hi Aghisni wa Amdidni Fi Qadi ai Hajati Ya Qadi al Hajaat>

After reading the above supplication to the Prophet (saws), the person is supposed to take eleven steps towards Iraq.

On every step, the person is supposed to supplicate to Shaykh 'Abdil Qadir Gilani in the following words:

<Ya Ghaus Saqalaini Ya Kareem-at-Tarfaini Aghisni was amdidni fi Qada-e-Hajati Ya Qaadi al Hajaat>

After this the person is supposed to make dua' using the wasila of Rasulullah (saws). The proponents of this prayer say that all needs will then be fulfilled.

May Allah guide all Muslims to Tawhid and Sunna and save them from Shirk and Bida'.

'Alaykum salam.
Taken from my blog.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

May Allah (SWT) forgive,I would have never accepted Islam,had I not discovered the way of Salafs. This form of Islam of which brother you have mentioned abstained me coming to Deen of Allah for years until one brother clarfied me of these innovations.

Regards.

abu_tamim

thnx

Assalamu Alaikum:

May Allah (SWT) forgive,I would have never accepted Islam,had I not discovered the way of Salafs. This form of Islam of which brother you have mentioned abstained me coming to Deen of Allah for years until one brother clarfied me of these innovations.

Regards.

:wasalam:
Welcome to the brotherhood of Islam, bro Sachin. May Allah keep you on the Seeraat al Mustaqim. Are you also from India? I am from Mumbai.

sachin4islam

:wasalam:
Welcome to the brotherhood of Islam, bro Sachin. May Allah keep you on the Seeraat al Mustaqim. Are you also from India? I am from Mumbai.

Walikum Assalam: Brother.

Ameen and thanks for your Du'aa. May Allah bless you.Yes I am from India.

Regards.

mahaseeb

Asalamualikum....
Allah Hu Akbar... may Allah save us from this kind of shirk.Brother i never heard of this.But these things happen only in sub-continent.May Indians cannot differentiate between Islam and india culture.They want their life to be parallel with Bollywood.Aahhh!!!! "JIDHAR CHAMATKAAR UDHAR NAMASKAAR" this is what i can say... MAy allah help us all to follow siratal musta kheem.. ameen
Asalamualikum..
Abdul Haseeb

Seeker-of-truth

Ghauthiyya? interesting word.. in my sufi parents and back home in bangladesh they call Abdul Qadir Jilani Al Ghauth Al A'zam or something like that, this salah is probably linked to that? by the way does anyone know if Abdul Qadir Jilani was a proper muslim or a sufi? is it ok to keep the name Jilani?

abu_tamim

Ghauthiyya? interesting word.. in my sufi parents and back home in bangladesh they call Abdul Qadir Jilani Al Ghauth Al A'zam or something like that, this salah is probably linked to that? by the way does anyone know if Abdul Qadir Jilani was a proper muslim or a sufi? is it ok to keep the name Jilani?

Yes, it is linked to asking for help from Shaykh Abdul Qadir Jilani. He was a Hanbali Imam and a Sufi. It is okay to keep the name Jilani, meaning someone from the town of Jilan.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
is it offered by those who claim to be upon sunnah of prophet pbuh? or is it by the deviant sects like qaadiyani etc????

Sana Shahid

JazakALLAH brother. ALLAH bless you with more knowledge and wisdom. Ameen.

He who revived a Sunnah out of my Sunan, which has died after me, for him is the reward like the reward of those who acted upon it, without any decrease in that reward. He who introduced some innovation which Allah and His Messenger did not approve has (a burden of sin upon himself and the sins of one who acted according to it, without their sins being mitigated thereby in the least.
SOURCE Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

abu_tamim

JazakALLAH brother. ALLAH bless you with more knowledge and wisdom. Ameen.

He who revived a Sunnah out of my Sunan, which has died after me, for him is the reward like the reward of those who acted upon it, without any decrease in that reward. He who introduced some innovation which Allah and His Messenger did not approve has (a burden of sin upon himself and the sins of one who acted according to it, without their sins being mitigated thereby in the least.
SOURCE Transmitted by Tirmidhi.

:salam2:

Without doubt.

abu_tamim

:salam2:

A quote from the proponents of this prayer:

"Ala hadrat, the Barelvi, was in the hand of al-Ghawth al-Azam (Abdal Qadir al-Jilani) like a pen in the writers hand, and al-Ghawth al-Azam was in the hand of the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) like a pen in the writer's hand, and the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) does not speak of his own passion in the presence of Allah."

Anwar Raza in his book Majmuah maqalat al-Barelviya- pg 270.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'alaykum warahamtu-llah

what is the meaning of Gauth al-azam?

does anybody know this?
if you knew it, you would never attribute it to a human.

wa-llahu a'lam
wassalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
What blatant, filthy shirk!

Ghauth Al-A`dham means 'the greatest/mightiest source of aid' and is used by mushriks of India, Pakistan etc. to refer to Shaykh `Abd Al-Qadir Al-Jaylani. Indeed, the title is clearly one that if used at all, should only be for Allaah for he is the greatest source of aid. Not a dead Shaykh in his grave who cannot help himself let alone others.

abu_tamim

What blatant, filthy shirk!

Ghauth Al-A`dham means 'the greatest/mightiest source of aid' and is used by mushriks of India, Pakistan etc. to refer to Shaykh `Abd Al-Qadir Al-Jaylani. Indeed, the title is clearly one that if used at all, should only be for Allaah for he is the greatest source of aid. Not a dead Shaykh in his grave who cannot help himself let alone others.

True.:salam2:

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam.

I have realised this is the Islam I was brought up on. I was encouraged by my teachers to practice this kind of Islam and yes - they think they are the only Sunnis and everyone who doesnt do what they do are Wahabi. it always sat uncomfortably with me.

My question - my father believed in all these things. I think only coz he didnt really know better. he was a simple man and very pious. He prayed all his salaah and was in constant Ibadah. Mashallah. He passed away during the Holy month of Ramadaan some years back. My question - if he didnt know the shirk associated with all this, will he be forgiven? The whole community in which I was brought up practises this way. I feel bad now that I believed and practised all these years. May Allah forgive us and show the correct way to those who do not know...

finding light

Ya Rab! Forgive me..
Salaam

I'd like to add the following from islam qa before anyone denounces the authority needed for Shayk Abdul Qadir Jilani:

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir (may Allaah have mercy on him) is one of the imaams of Islam. He attained a position of leadership over the Muslims of his time, in knowledge, good deeds, issuing fatwas and other aspects of religion. He was one of the greatest shaykhs of his time, enjoining adherence to the sharee’ah, enjoining what is good, forbidding what is evil, and giving that precedence over all else. He was an ascetic (zaahid) and a preacher, in whose gatherings many people repented. Allaah caused him to be well-liked by people and his virtue became widely-known – may Allaah bestow abundant mercy upon him.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir was a follower, not an innovator. He followed the way of the righteous salaf and in his books he encouraged people to follow the salaf; he also enjoined that upon his followers. He used to tell people not to follow innovations in religion, and he stated clearly that he was opposed to the ahl al-kalaam (“Islamic philosophers”) such as the Ash’aris and their ilk.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir agreed with Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah – the followers of truth – concerning all issues of ‘aqeedah (belief), namely Tawheed, faith, Prophethood, and the Last Day.

There are some minor mistakes and errors in his books, and some innovations which are relatively insignificant when compared with his achievements. To find out more about them, along with an explanation of where he went wrong, please see Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani wa Araa’uhu al-I’tidaaqiyyah wa’l-Soofiyyah, by Shaykh Dr. Sa’eed ibn Musfir al-Qahtaani, 440-476.

Moreover, it is not right to make one Muslim scholar, let alone anyone else, the sole source of what is true and correct, in the sense that one takes what he says as being true and what goes against that as being false – not Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir and not anyone else. Rather the truth is that which is in accordance with the Qur’aan and Sunnah, no matter who says it, and what goes against the Qur’aan and Sunnah should be ignored and avoided, even if it is said by ‘Abd al-Qaadir al-Jilaani, Maalik, al-Shaafa’i, Ahmad or anyone else.

There is a point which we must make here, which is that praising Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir does not mean praising everyone who claims to follow him. Not everyone who claims to follow a shaykh or a tareeqah or anything else is to be believed. How often has it happened that a person who is thought to be a true follower turned out to be the farthest removed from what was thought to be the case? How many misleading people don the cloak of asceticism and piety when they have nothing to do with either of them? Hence the Sufi tareeqah which is known nowadays as the Qaadiriyyah is not following the straight path which the Shaykh (may Allaah have mercy on him) followed, rather it is a deviant Sufi tareeqah which has deviated from the guidance of the Qur’aan and Sunnah; it exaggerates a great deal about Shaykh ‘Abd al-Qaadir and even attributes to him things that can only rightfully be attributed to Allaah. Some of them exaggerate concerning his grave, seeking help from it, and some of them exaggerate about his attributes and miracles (karaamah).

By comparing the actions of those who claim to follow the shaykh with what is narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah, what was narrated from the righteous salaf and even what was narrated from the Shaykh himself (may Allaah have mercy on him), we will clearly see that there is a huge gap between the two, and that the Qaadiri group has deviated from the path of its shaykh whom they claim to be following. That is because they have introduced so many innovations (bid’ahs) into the religion of Allaah, that the Shaykh would never have approved of. It has been narrated from the respectable scholars that they regarded this group as extreme, for example what was said by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) in his refutation of al-Bakri concerning the issue of ziyaarah or visiting graves (1/228), and in the fatwas of Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aal al-Shaykh, indicates that they have committed some actions of shirk.

See: Fataawa Ibn Ibraaheem, 1/276, 109

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 2/250-252

Al-Durar al-Sunniyyah, 1/74