Would you pay to buy Zamzam?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

I was hoping that Masha'Allah the more knowledgeable brothers & sisters can help on this issue.

I have travelled a bit in the Islamic world but I have never seen people selling ZAMZAM like they do here in the UK.

In Saudi Arabia and other places they sell containers for Zamzam and so on but not the water itself.

I have been looking for some evidence on this practise of selling zamzam water itself (Yay or Nay); can someone help?

Jazakullah Khairun

P.S: I know the stories of fake Zamzam going around in the UK because the supply is lagging behind demand.

:)

38khadj

Asslamo Allaikum Brothers/Sisters,

I was hoping that Masha'Allah the more knowledgeable brothers & sisters can help on this issue.

I have travelled a bit in the Islamic world but I have never seen people selling ZAMZAM like they do here in the UK.

In Saudi Arabia and other places they sell containers for Zamzam and so on but not the water itself.

I have been looking for some evidence on this practise of selling zamzam water itself (Yay or Nay); can someone help?

Jazakullah Khairun

P.S: I know the stories of fake Zamzam going around in the UK because the supply is lagging behind demand.

:)

:salam2:
I love zam zam water but as far as i was aware you have to buy it in this country , importing costs ect?
I would to know more about it any information welcome:wasalam:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I love zam zam water but as far as i was aware you have to buy it in this country , importing costs ect?
I would to know more about it any information welcome:wasalam:
If I was in Saudi, I wouldn't buy it but if your foriegn then that's common for importing costs. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable buying it. And some EVIL people might give fake ZamZam.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brothers,

Your point is well taken & my apologies for not making it clearer; I meant to ask about selling it for a profit which I know establishments in the UK are doing.

Hope it clears up the misunderstanding.

Jazakullah Khairun

umm hussain

ZamZam Water warning-Food standard Agency

I came across the article below about Zam Zam water, I don't know if it is anything to go by though but it surely makes sense I think.

The Food Standards Agency is advising consumers to be aware of the fraudulent sale of Zam Zam water that may contain high levels of arsenic. This issue was first brought to the Agency’s attention by Muslim leaders.

Zam Zam water, which is sacred to Muslims, comes from a specific source in Saudi Arabia and cannot legally be exported from the country for commercial sale.

A brand of Zam Zam formally sampled by the London Borough of Westminster has been found to contain almost three times the permitted level of arsenic, which could contribute to increasing people’s risk of cancer.

The local authority has taken action to prevent further sale of the product from the outlet.

In addition they have contacted the importer of the water to ensure that they stop importing the product. No other outlets are known to have stocked this product.

Other brands of Zam Zam water are thought to be on sale in the UK and could be similarly contaminated.

As genuine Zam Zam water cannot be legally exported from Saudi Arabia for commercial sale, any product found in the shops would have an uncertain provenance and pose a possible safety risk.

The FSA is therefore advising people not to buy or drink commercially available brands of Zam Zam water and to inform their Local Authority Environmental Health or Trading Standards Department if they come across Zam Zam water on sale.

Given that the demand for Zam Zam water is likely to increase during the month of Ramadan, the FSA has written to all Heads of Environmental Departments and Directors of Trading Standards asking local authorities to take appropriate enforcement action where the fraudulent sale of Zam Zam water is suspected.

This advice does not relate to the genuine Zam Zam water being brought into UK by returning pilgrims, as an accompanied or unaccompanied ‘personal import’.

Source
http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2005/oct/zamzam

Marwa17

Assalamu Alikum everyone,
Personnally, I think selling it is haram or at least very wrong...like, it is like selling the Qu'ran...in islam, I heard that's not permitted (someone please correct me if I am wrong)...But sometimes you just need zamzam water when all else in medicine fails and if the only way you can get it is through money then you can just tell yourself that the money is a "donation" because they had to make the plastic for the bottle and the transportation and all that....jk...that probably doesn't even work...
Personnally, my parents have purchased zamzam water before....so, i mean if I had to I might...but I still don't think it should be write for Saudia Arabia to make money off of a miracle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just my own two sentences.....

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum All,

Please correct me if I am wrong but I have NEVER found zamzam on sale in such massive quantities except in the UK. I have not found this practice in Muslim countries or even other Non-Muslim countries of the West (USA, Canada, France, Holland, Belgium, Switzerland etc.)…What’s up with British Muslims & zamzam?

:) :) :)

So I dug into the issue got some contacts who are “Sellers” of zamzam (in UK) and enquired about wholesale prices etc. and putting 2-2 together I have figured out that it is definitely profitable and the demand is out there (obviously that’s why they are importing & selling it)

I have also figured out as to how this trade works in the UK (from Saudia to UK); that's a secret & not for the forum otherwise Br Mabsoot & others will have millions of gallons of zamzam on sale on the forum!

:) :) :)

I am still looking for evidence if selling zamzam as a business (on a profitable basis) is permissible & if it is then why is it not done anywhere else so blatantly as in UK?

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Actually, I went to this Muslim Halal Meat store in Clifton in the US and they sold ZamZam. I'm not sure if there was a brand on it though but my mom said that's not right that Zamzam shouldn't be sold but I told her maybe it was for exporting costs.

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I think umm hussain is right, I read exactly the same article somewhere. I thought it was illegal to export zam zam water. Most of the water on sale isn't really zamzam water and/or very unhealthy so watch out! Even if it's the real thing it will usually cost a lot. The only times I drink it, it is when I bring it directly from the source in makkah or when relatives coming from makkah kindly bring some.

:wasalam:

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

You and the sister are absolutely right that there is a lot of fake zamzam out there; but please note that there is no law/rule applied in Saudia about exporting zamzam and the stuff that I have seen & priced is genuine because I can track the shipment back to Saudia.

While living in Saudia I helped a lot of people cargo massive quantities (for private use) & I was never asked any questions by the cargo companies.

I also recall reading something about it but if there is such a law it is not implemented.

Eyez-only

Bismillah!
Well we live in a time where everything is "for profit". Same way Evian, Springwater and other companies take simple water and bottle it and sell it to thirsty people in the middle of scorching heat, Muslims have adopted that same rational. Does it make it right? Certainly not but they will tell you that they're selling the containers not the ZamZam water. Allah knows best.

For those interested in this topic, there is an intriguing book Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water Authors: Tony Clarke and Maude Barlow. It illustrates how the potable water in the world are under the control of a handful of multinationals, so we better not be thirsty if we're poor.

Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

The Ulema' state you can not sell Zamzam. Also many people sell fake zamzam.

wasalam.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Brother Mabsoot,

Yes I had a rough idea that such was the case, if you come across some material on the subject, please pass it on (and anyone else for that matter).

Jazakullah Khairun

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum,

I'm probably missing something somewhere.... but what's wrong with buying zamzam water? I mean..when I'm out and thirsty, sometimes I buy bottled water. If I could, I'd rather spend it on zamzam water...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asslamo Allaikum Brother Mabsoot,

Yes I had a rough idea that such was the case, if you come across some material on the subject, please pass it on (and anyone else for that matter).

Jazakullah Khairun

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

I can not find anything on internet to provide as "proof" i.e. any fatwa from the Scholars.

But, most of the Scholars unanimous in saying that selling it is not allowed.

- ZamZam is totally free for all people to come and take for personal use. you can bottle as much as you want, but you should not make a business out of the water that Allah has sent as a blessing to mankind by selling it.

It is illegal in Saudi Arabia to sell Zamzam water, or to collect it and to sell it. -

Allahu A'lam, jus make sure you tell your friends to get you a some!

InshaAllah my aunt is going to get some Zamzam for me ;)

Wasalam.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
This is Interesting:

The Zamzam Mafia

[img=left]http://www.arabnews.com/2006/10/zamzam9.jpg[/img]MAKKAH, 9 October 2006 — Gangs of mainly Bangladeshis, Burmese, Africans and now even Saudis are exploiting the ignorance of pilgrims in Makkah by running a massive Zamzam water scam to make extra money.

Drinking Zamzam water is from among the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and is something Muslims drink when breaking their fast during Ramadan. Pilgrims that come to the Kingdom flock in their thousands to water stations close to the Grand Mosque in Makkah to fill their containers with the blessed water to take back home.
However, Arab News has learned that groups of people have taken up positions near Zamzam stations to sell water that is supposed to be available to people for free. In fact, these people sell empty drums in different sizes at prices higher than drums containing Zamzam to coerce pilgrims to buy Zamzam water from them. The sellers are also known to increase the price of Zamzam water extortionately during the last 10 days of Ramadan.

Pilgrims that Arab News spoke to described the scene at filling stations as a mockery. Muhammad Yusuf from Egypt described the situation as being “ugly” and expressed alarm that individuals connected to the scams would line up first with their large gallons in the morning. “They have drums, they take too much time to fill up compared to the smaller drums that pilgrims have. It’s not fair that they carry these types of scams to make money and deny the pilgrims a quick service,” he said.

The station where Zamzam water is available is divided into two sections. The first section is for the general public and has 14 taps. They are clearly not enough for the high volume of pilgrims that come to get water. Pilgrims are not allowed more than five gallons and because of this a lot of overcrowding takes place, something that more than often leads to fighting.

The fact that the authorities do not control the taps is something that in turn creates a lot of chaos. In charge of the other section of the station is a company, whose workers fill drums for pilgrims for a small fee. This section has three times more numbers of taps than the public section. Both sections are also almost always overcrowded.

Away from the filling station, lined up on the street were large quantities of drums of different sizes that were being sold by Burmese and Africans. Selling Zamzam water like this is illegal; these people fill their gallons from the free taps and also sometimes from the side that is controlled by the company. In fact, these people are taking advantage of pilgrims and visitors who do not know that they are able to fill their drums with Zamzam water for free.

The men who run the scam arrive early in the morning to be the first in line. They bring with them large-sized drums together with five smaller drums, which is the limit any individual is allowed to fill. They then go back to their locations and fill their smaller drums using the water in the larger drums and then sell the smaller drums at extortionate prices. When pilgrims arrive at the station to fill their drums they see the overcrowding and the limited number of taps and are thus coerced to buy Zamzam from the water mafia at high prices just to avoid overcrowding.

One pilgrim directed Arab News to a hidden location near the station where a number of Burmese were busy mixing normal water with Zamzam water to sell to pilgrims.
Sara Yusuf, a pilgrim from Jordan, said: “You can’t trust these people, they mix Zamzam with normal water. An expert will easily notice that the water has been mixed and that they have been cheated.”
Standing in a long line was a pilgrim from the UAE. “I was once cheated by these gangs,” he said. “The water they are selling is not pure Zamzam water. I am standing here in this long line to fill Zamzam water because I do not want to be cheated again,” he said preferring to remain anonymous.
“Where are the police? How could they ignore people and allow these people to cheat pilgrims?” he added.

Arab News approached one of the groups and asked them to fill a 20-liter drum with Zamzam water. A small Burmese man took a pump and filled the drum charging SR17. The entire filling and transaction took place over dirty ground close to a pile of rubbish. There were a lot of mosquitoes and flies at the location casting doubt on the hygiene of the water.
Fadel Hussein, a member of the gang from Burma, said that on a daily basis during Ramadan he earns anything between SR1,000 to SR1,200. “In the last 10 days of Ramadan I make between SR1,500 to SR1,800 per day. This is not illegal; this is just an opportunity to make an honest living. Those that do not want to buy from us can just wait in line. Our job is to provide a quick service to pilgrims,” he said.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Salaam Alikom

This been going for a while they sell zamzam in these bottles
zamzam.jpg

I talked to the main distributer here in U.S according to him he assured that its comes from Saudi Arabia and was willing to send me all the fax numbers for the company in saudi, no one have contacted the company in saudi, which was a big mistake.

I called the saudi embassy here in U.S and talked to couple of people in commercial department one of them said he is not sure if its prohibited he said he buy them too.

Well as I know its banned. here are couple of the link
attachment.php

zamzam_analysis.gif

all images are taken from www.iccservices.org.uk/

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Going off the tangent…

Zamzam is sold at most TAMIMI (Safeways) stores in Saudi Arabia. I have also done research and have looked at documentation like the brother that it is indeed exported out of Saudia in massive quantities and it is real.

I also know from experience that it can be shipped out of Saudia easily.

As far the fake zamzam racket is concerned anyone living in Saudia and reading daily newspapers knows that all ills in Saudi society are down to gangs of Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees, these mind manipulating buggers are able to, brainwash, manipulate, twist and cajole the innocent Saudees into doing all sorts of twisted deeds that the upright, pious and Allah-fearing Saudees will otherwise never even think of.

1) I read reports in the Saudi media while I was in Saudia that the high divorce rates in Saudi Arabia are down to immigrant women practising black magic on their master (yes this term was specifically mentioned in English)
2) I also read reports that the horrendous Saudi traffic and subsequent accidents are down to taxi drivers (Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees) who violate traffic laws
3) I also read reports that the low morals, poor education of Saudi youth is down to immigrant nannies who are not doing their job
4) And off course the high unemployment of Saudees is also due to immigrants (again mostly Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees)
5) And also the drug problem, alcohol, prostitution and the list goes on & on
6) The only problem in Saudia that the Saudi media has not pinned on the Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees is “Al-Qaida”

Conversely there are some very good writers (particularly Arab news) who have written sarcastically that is there anything that Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees have NOT done in this country? Interesting to read.

Anyone who understands that the Kaafeel (labour system and laws) system knows that immigrants can’t even BREATHE in Saudi of their free will.

My message may come as a reality check for a lot of Muslims who have not lived in Saudia or even Saudees (most of whom don’t read the media and either unaware or choose to remain unaware of what goes on in their own backyard)…

May Allah (SWT) reward the Saudees who have spoken out against blatant abuses in their own country and often paid for it with their lives.

Jzakullah Khairun

P.S: By the way Satellite Dishes and mobile phone (with cameras) are also banned in Saudi Arabia…but the unscrupulous Bangalees, Indians and Pakistanees keep supplying them at such a rate that it is in every Saudi household

Globalpeace

Banned
Bismillah!
Well we live in a time where everything is "for profit". Same way Evian, Springwater and other companies take simple water and bottle it and sell it to thirsty people in the middle of scorching heat, Muslims have adopted that same rational. Does it make it right? Certainly not but they will tell you that they're selling the containers not the ZamZam water. Allah knows best.

For those interested in this topic, there is an intriguing book Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water Authors: Tony Clarke and Maude Barlow. It illustrates how the potable water in the world are under the control of a handful of multinationals, so we better not be thirsty if we're poor.

Salam

W-Salam Brother,

Jazakullah Khairun for the reference...I will most certainly be reading this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Gold-F...ef=sr_1_1/026-3573685-7206035?ie=UTF8&s=books

:ma:

Status
Not open for further replies.