Saudi men arrested for 'flirting'

muselman

:salam2:

Prosecutors in Saudi Arabia have begun investigating 57 young men who were arrested on Thursday for flirting with girls at shopping centres in Mecca.
The men are accused of wearing indecent clothes, playing loud music and dancing in order to attract the attention of girls, the Saudi Gazette reported.

They were arrested following a request of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

The mutaween enforce Saudi Arabia's conservative brand of Islam, Wahhabism.

Earlier in the month, the authorities enforced a ban on the sale of red roses and other symbols used in many countries to mark Valentine's Day.

The ban is partly because of the connection with a "pagan Christian holiday", and also because the festival itself is seen as encouraging relations between the sexes outside marriage, punishable by law in the kingdom.

The Prosecution and Investigation Commission said it had received reports of such "bad" behaviour by 57 young men at a number of shopping centres in the holy city of Mecca, the Saudi Gazette said.

The guardians of some of the men defended their actions, however, saying they would regularly get together at the weekend to have fun without ever violating laws governing the segregation of the sexes, it added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7260314.stm

:wasalam:

hager

OH:(:(

I don't have comment
:astag:
IN Mecca
I'll make Dua for them,may allah guide them to the right Path..

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I read this earlier today. Anyway, whether they were flirting in the haram or not, they needed that! They should start behaving like men, not sissies... There's nothing Islamic about their actions; thread moved to News Forum.

May Allaah reward the Mutaween!!!

was-salaam

muharram23

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

I read this earlier today. Anyway, whether they were flirting in the haram or not, they needed that! They should start behaving like men, not sissies... There's nothing Islamic about their actions; thread moved to News Forum.

May Allaah reward the Mutaween!!!

was-salaam

salamu alaykum

i really didnt like the wahabism behind the mutaween. Was close to delete the thread but alhamdulillah ameen to ur duahs.

wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
salamu alaykum

i really didnt like the wahabism behind the mutaween. Was close to delete the thread but alhamdulillah ameen to ur duahs.

wasalam

The BBC are scum. Everytime the Saudi's uphold the rites of Islaam, they call it Wahhabism; from no shrines and tombs when burying the dead, to banning the sale of red to prevent a foolish pagan holiday spreading in the kingdom, to segregating the sexes, you name it. They will hasten to call the Saudi's conservative, wahhabis, puritans and whatever else. And some Muslims shamefully mock at themselves when they join in with these attacks, being ashamed of the teachings of Islaam because the West picks on them!

muharram23

Staff member
The BBC are scum. Everytime the Saudi's uphold the rites of Islaam, they call it Wahhabism; from no shrines and tombs when burying the dead, to banning the sale of red to prevent a foolish pagan holiday spreading in the kingdom, to segregating the sexes, you name it. They will hasten to call the Saudi's conservative, wahhabis, puritans and whatever else. And some Muslims shamefully mock at themselves when they join in with these attacks, being ashamed of the teachings of Islaam because the West picks on them!

Jazakallahu khair akhi

wasalam

croatian/jewconv

slave_of_Allah
flirting is a bad sin ,but to me whats going on in saudi is too oppressive
islaam is about surrendering to Allaah(subhanahu wa ta'ala) through ones own free will...
not someone shoving how to behave down your throat..

as AllaaH(subhanahu wa ta'ala) says in the quran(interpertation of the meaning)
"There is no compulsion(force, exertion ect.) in religion.................

wa selaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
flirting is a bad sin ,but to me whats going on in saudi is too oppressive
islaam is about surrendering to Allaah(subhanahu wa ta'ala) through ones own free will...
not someone shoving how to behave down your throat..

as AllaaH(subhanahu wa ta'ala) says in the quran(interpertation of the meaning)
"There is no compulsion(force, exertion ect.) in religion.................

wa selaam

You're right (to an extent), but that doesn't mean you let them openly and shamefully sin and cause harm. Rather that behavior needs to be dealt with, especially if it is public! Islaam is about fighting your desire and submitting to Allaah with your own will, but when you sin publicly then you need to be cautioned, for Allaah doesn't forgive the one who advertises his evil deeds (who in their right mind doesn't know that flirting is haraam, in the haram as well). Also, we have been commanded to change evils with our hands, tongue, and heart depending on our ability (I believe this in Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree). Now the mutaween, it is their job to be sorting things like this out (they are those who can use their tongues and to some extent their hands to alter evils). And inshaa' Allaah, in this is a lesson for others who immitate such stupidty.

Was-salaam.

dianek

Glad to see men finally get punished for something even if I do think government policing religion is wrong.

muharram23

Staff member
Glad to see men finally get punished for something even if I do think government policing religion is wrong.

salamu alaykum

I dont get what u mean sister? Islam is equal to a man as it is to a woman. If a woman commits a crime that needs punishment, then she is punished as a guy would be.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Just a reminder, in Islaam, Law and Religion are one. So the police or in this case the mutaween should be policing anything that warrants a prescribed punishment in Islaam and other foul conduct. The companions "policed" innovations. Obviously all this should be done by necessary means. Be it advising/admonishing, reminding, cautioning and if they have to using minimal force (enough to remove the problem).

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

A lot of the Mutawwa are ignorant and dont know much about Islam, others are sensible and good. Just as there may be good or bad police officers.

"Enjoining the Good and Forbidding the Evil"is something every Muslim should be doing.

What is needed is total education shakeup and little bit of humility and sincerity -starting with the young !! so they do not grow spoilt and arrogant. They need proper Islamic education, not just it being forced upon them, but they really wanting and appreciating it.

wasalamu alaykum

rayhanm

fight for right
Mutawaa, and the young Saudis

Dear all,
Assalamu Alaikum

Mutawaa are doing what they have learnt to do or brain washed to do. It is their level of education. I was in Saudi for four years and had seen what was going on there. I had seen the way young ones behaved and acted....

In my opinion, Islamic laws are not only to punish but also prevent and cure the society from getting even nearer to sin.

I blame media, uncontrolled and misused of wealth etc. for this situation. Media is playing a big role in Saudi society. People have over 300 -400 TV channels to view without any restrictions. Once there was news in one of the top Saudi English newspaper quoting from a mother complaining to cut those channels. She was surprised to see the telephone bill at the end of the month as it was over 30000 SR. Later on she realized those calls were by her young son to some adult channel for a phone thingy...[I don't want to say it here]

I don't want to talk about the internet, smuggled pirated DVD, X rated film etc... Very easy to get hold of them anytime...

I used to go to local telephone shop to make international calls and the lad in his early 20 behind the desk was getting very friendly to me and one day he told me that he was in the UK and some other countries for holidays and he loved vodka there. I was shocked because we had just finished our noon prayer.

My wife used to teach in an International school for the girls. She experienced those young lads from different neighborhood used to flock behind the school bus whenever they used to go outside for project work. She was surprised to see the way girls and boys exchanged their mobile numbers.

I am not criticizing anyone or making fun of anyone. These are all happening because of the continuous slow poisoning from Hollywood films, western, Arabic and Indian indecent channels.

Have you ever heard Halal beer? Even you can get them in Saudi. J This is not a solution by giving something a twisted Islamic name. [Barbican, halal beer, funny]I’m not a scholar here to talk about those tricky, complex fatwas. I am talking about the environment that we are living in. If we can create it the way Allah wants us to create, then there won’t be any need of Mutawaa. Our self consciousness will stop us doing something which we shouldn’t be doing. We need education to develop our young minds not brute force.

Once a guy was caught stealing during Omar (RA) time and he was brought to justice. Later on the court found out that there wasn’t any food in that person’s area. Omar ordered enough food for that area and forgave him.

There you are…May Allah guide us…

Massalam,
Rayhan

ShyHijabi

Salaam Brother Rayhanm,

Mashallah, that was a very cogent and incisive post. You brought up many good points and clarified some issues.

For those who say we should't obsess over SA law and politics, there is a reason we do this. SA is the symbol to the closest thing we can observe when it comes to Sahriah law, and even they don't have it perfect. They have the heart of our religion there..Mecca and Medinah. So when they stumble or issue a controversial fatwa we watch to see how things will unfold.

Some of the most knowledgable scholars live there and we look to them to give us understanding when it comes to interpretation of Shariah. Do I think these men should've been arrested? If they knew the law and knew they were breaking it then I don't have a problem with them being arested. It's not like they are being flogged...just embarrassed for doing something they knew they shouldn't be doing. <shrug>

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Abel213

^^quoted for truth

I'm really tired of all this "Religion shouldn't interfere" stuff because we all KNOW that the Prophet, Caliph Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman and Ali all governed like this. Do we know more about Islam than theM? Do we know more about Islam than the scholars and imams of Mecca and Medina? You don't have to answer this, we all know the answers deep inside our hearts!!!

q8penpals

Salam

I had a page long dialog about this whoel subject and it got lost. So I guess I stick to my main thought - I am happy to see that the men got arrested. Too many times, women get punished (or punished worse) for "joint" crimes like this. I hoped they get lashed as a punishment for themselves and a deterent for other young men.

Lana

warda A

Sister
PARENTING

I would like to make one glaring observation.
The problem lays with the parenting, if those young people are taught the islamic values by their parents (both) they would know that what they are doing is wrong but, unfortunately every thing western is modern to them through following reel life on screens (they should see what real life is)
mark you they are taught islamic education in schools, but they will not implement them in their lives without the examples of their parents (good parenting)
Those kids (not all) are arrogant and spoilt, i know i have seen them.
So PARENTS wake up and do your duty towards your offsprings.