Say Something Nice about (or to) the person above you ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakiyah

muslim sis
:salam2:

i like ur avator brother.that girl is so cute mahsallah:hearts::hearts::hearts:

o my god im next.b good who ever it is....lol....kidding:lol::biggrin::tongue:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

Let me begin by saying that it is better to speak good of the people, and find excuses for our Muslim brothers and sisters as best we can. However, what I have seen in this thread is such that it won't remain open anymore. I have read one too many posts wherein one praises another member, or worse than that, someone praises themselves! If you are thinking, "that is the point in the thread, to praise our brothers and sisters and be rewarded inshaa' Allaah for our speech!", then think again... after reading these ahaadeeth.

Abu Bakr reported that a man was mentioned in the presence of the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and someone praised him. The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Woe to you! You have cut off the head of your companion!" and he repeated that several times. He went on, "If one of you must praise someone, he should say, 'I consider that so-and-so is such-and-such.' Allah is the One who will take account of him if he thinks that he is indeed like that, No one can appropriate Allah's right to attest to someone's character."

Abu Musa reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, heard a man praise another man and he was using exaggeration in his praise of him. The Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "You have destroyed or broken the man's back."

Ibrahim at-Taymi reported that his father said, "We were sitting with 'Umar and one man praised another man to his face." He said, "You have wounded the man. May Allah wound you."

Zayd ibn Aslam reported that his father heard 'Umar state, "Praise is slaughter." The transmitter added, "He meant when it is accepted."

Abu Ma'mar said, "A man began to praise one of the amirs. Al-Miqdad began to throw dirt in his face and said, 'The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, commanded us to throw dust into the faces of those who praise people.'"

'Ata' ibn Abi Rabah reported that a man was praising another man in the presence of Ibn 'Umar. Ibn 'Umar began to throw dust towards his mouth. He said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, 'When you see those who praise people, throw dust in their faces.'"

Raja' said. "One day Mihjan and I went to the mosque of the people of Basra. Burayda al-Aslami was sitting there by one of the mosque doors. Inside the mosque there was a man called Sabka who used to make the prayers long. We came to the mosque door which had a fringed woollen cloth over it. Now Burayda was someone who made jokes. He said, 'Mihjan, don't you pray as Sabka prays?' Mihjan did not answer and went back. Mihjan said, 'The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, once took me by the hand and we went together to the top of Uhud. He looked down on Madina and said, "Woe to a town whose people will abandon it when it becomes very prosperous. Then the Dajjal will come to it and find two angels at each of its gates, so he will not enter it." Then he went down until we reached the mosque and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, saw a man praying, prostrating and bowing. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, asked me, "Who is this?" and I began to praise him, saying, "Messenger of Allah, this is so-and-so and so-and-so." "Stop!" he said, "Do not let him hear or you will destroy him."'"

Raja' continued, "He began to walk until he reached his rooms and then he began to shake the dust off his hands and said, 'The best part of your deen is the easiest of it.' and he repeated that three times."

All the above ahaadeeth were taken from Imaam Al-Bukhaaree's, rahimahullaah, Kitaab Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Some of the ahaadeeth could be weak, but the point is clear! When the salaf saw people praising others, they would throw dirt on their faces, and it is even worse to do so in the presence of that person, as it may very well destroy him or her (via pride and/or vanity). The hadeeth of `Umar indicates that this is the case, when the one being praised accepts that form of praise. How many times do we hear people praise us and we smile and get happy, but is it a situation to be happy of? No not at all! Our hapiness may very well be a form of vanity, or even pride, may Allaah remove such filth from our hearts. Imaam Bukhaaree, in the same book has a chapter titled, "Someone who praises his companion when he feels safe about him*". Under the heading, the translation I'm (currently) reading says, "* He is certain that his praise will nor produce pride or vanity." Then another hadeeth is mentioned,

Abu Hurayra reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The best of men is Abu Bakr. The best of men is 'Umar. The best of men is Abu 'Ubayda. The best of men is Usayd ibn Hudayr. The best of men is Thabit ibn Qays ibn Shammas. The best of men is Mu'adh ibn 'Amr ibn al-Jamuh. The best of men is Mu'adh ibn Jabal." Then he said, "The worst of men is so-and-so. The worst of men is so-and-so," until he had named seven men.

And I'm very sure that none of us are anywhere near to these companions of the Messenger, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam, in our religion. So if it is known that they were free of pride, of vanity and very well wouldn't have smiled upon being praised (due to their humbleness), then I don't think that any of us should even feel happy about being praised; after all what's the point? Have we been promised Paradise like some of them? Are we free of pride like all of them? I didn't think so, and thus, due to the ill-nature of this thread (truely, it is one of the most disgusting threads I've come across due to some/many of the posts), it needs to be closed.

Was-salaam.

Status
Not open for further replies.