Segregation of sexes are springing up in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

arzafar

It all breaks down when muslim women are not ready to accept that niqaab is obligatory (despite clear evidence from quran and hadith) and yet they want to pray in the mosque (allowed but not encouraged by hadith).

the only solution to this problem is that
1. women dress in the correct islamic manner (including covering face when facing men, no perfume, no noisy jewelery and no gossiping)
2. there are separate entrance and exits for women and men OR men leave the mosque before women to ensure that there is minimum mixing.
3. Men wear proper clothes, lower their gaze and avoid greeting and talking to women.

So let all the muslim women who are sincere in praying in the mosque adopt proper islamic dress code and in return, assume their rightful place in the mosque.

Valerie

Okay so now I'm really confused. Hijab? Niqaab? Behind a wall? In another room? Not allowed at all? In the back? Different doors? Stay home?

I think my brain is going to fall out of my ear now :)

ximkoyra

Okay so now I'm really confused. Hijab? Niqaab? Behind a wall? In another room? Not allowed at all? In the back? Different doors? Stay home?

Maybe you should just pray in your car to be safe :p

Anyways, the masjid I usually go to has been around for almost forty years now and we've had it where the men and women pray in the same room, with the women standing behind the men. It's only recently, with a leadership change at our masjid, that the women got moved to a different room. I don't like it because of various community related reasons here, but there isn't anything that says that the genders must absolutely be segregated in prayer, especially when that is not how it was during the Prophet's time.

Everybody has different opinions on this

Kakorot

:salam2:

Hmm, don't you find it strange of how it's always reverts that have an issue with the whole segregation thing? :rolleyes:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
I find it strange that life-long muslims have zero problems with segregation :)

I think it has more to do with the environment someone has been brought up in. Alhamdulillah some of us have spent most of our childhood in muslim countries, where the interaction with non-mahram women was minimal. Therefore, we find it repulsive or feel uneasy in a situation where men-women are encouraged to speak to eachother freely (and at times for no particular reason!) .

At the same time, our parents made sure that it was ingrained in our minds to show lot of respect and kindness to our sisters in faith. It is a great balance and I think the muslim women appreciate it.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
As-salamu 'Aleykum

Subhanallah- This is unbelievable. I've seen sisters begging the Imaams to do fundraising, so the masjid can be widened and the sisters could get their own area to pray, instead of being in a crowded room with the brothers- But I don't really understand why these women are protesting against praying WITH the sisters IN the sisters side. I, personally, have neveR prayed on the broTher's side at any mosque i've been to and I certainly would NeveR want to subhanallah. We sisters need to look out for the brothers, and help them learn how to contro their temptations by keeping our distance, because wallahi I'm definetly sure If a sister(wearing perfume, make-up, and tight clothes) passes by brothers or is in the same area as them, at least 1 of them would be distracted from his intention of doing good in the Allah's house, so why these sisters want to cause fitnah into a peaceful Masjids is something i'd never get.
May Allah forgive our sins and Guide us All subhannalh.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
okay i havent read everyone's response but Abdul Hasibs response was amazing! really, Allah does not command anything in Islam but that it is for our best and for our protection. whilst complete segregation in salah is not a must, what Abdul Hasib mentioned is very effective- do we really want shaytan distracting us during salah? shaytan is highly cunning and knows our weaknesses, casting doubts in our mind...

there is so much fitnah around that i dont see how its a major issue if we prayed in another room or behind a barrier- it in no way diminishes our rights as women.

i think there are more important issues that require greater attention.
Subhanallah! (May Allah (SWT) be Praised and Glorified) Because it's only from him that I have learned all this. And Jazakillahu Kyran bi Alfin sister Hana for that important conclusion that you gave (as to what is right and wrong, which depends on Allah (SWT)'s Wisdom ALONE), Ameen. :)

saif

My only problem is the same as sister Asja pointed out, that mosques are not a place for protest. Just like hajj is not a place to protest against americans (I am knowingly drawing that analogy to to remind about the sad events, which were the results of the politicization of Hajj).

Another rather smaller issue is, that I dont personally like their leader Asra Nomani and likes. But I understand, that my personal likes and dislikes should not become an argument in the discussion.

Otherwise, I think the arguments of sister Samiha are quite shallow. When we take our deen from the Prophet and the salaf, we never alter it to fit our state of imaan. Neither did the Prophet tell us any formula, how to dimension the laws of Islam according to the level of imaan of the society. I am sorry sister Samiha, I dont buy that.

:wasalam:

kayleigh

Samiha - You're bringing up a specific example which has nothing to do with the general point being made. Every community should evaluate their own space and capacity in order to accommodate as many people as possible.

I completely agree with Saif. He said it much better than I could. It has been said that women are not the same as women were back when, so the rules should be changed. Well, men aren't the same either. Muslims in general are nothing like the Prophet and the Muslim men around at that time. Does that mean we change every rule and every example to fit what we THINK is proper for today? If so, we have a lot more to change than just what room people are in when they pray.

Channa - Perhaps reverts are bothered by it because we haven't been raised to see segregation as acceptable, so we're better able to point out what we see as unjust :)

Valerie - Don't be discouraged! I know exactly how you feel. The worst thing you could do is listen to Muslims online and take them seriously, including myself lol.

samiha

---------
Staff member

Aww, I hope it doesnt sis! Let's make it easy okay inshaAllaah?

1) Are women allowed to go to the masaajid of Allaah to pray? -- Yes

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667)

2) Should they attire themselves properly when going to pray? -- Yes
--- This can be hijaab or niqaab inshaAllaah and everyone is of different positions, but whilst in Salaah we know women should wear proper clothing yes? Alhamdulillah.

3) Does it have to be behind a wall/barrier? -- No.
--- I have no idea why it seems that it is presumed in this thread here thinking that I demand a wall? It's not that I believe it is fard - as in obligatory, but I do in many cases believe it is better only because yes it is the Masaajid of Allaah and for women the more privacy they have the better they will be able to concentrate. And it also seems to be presumed that I'm blaming the women and not even glancing at the males, but the thing yes -- men will be accountable if they wrongly look at women, inside the Masjid or outside. However, whilst inside why bother being that distraction for lewd or wayward minded guys, or give shaytaan a chance to attack others?

So yes, being such that it was in the time of the Messenger of Allaah it doesnt matter what anyone says - it is definitely allowed.

4) Can it be in another room? -- Yes it can be however that is at times difficult only because you cannot have anyone see the Imaam if needed. Now some people put a sliding barrier which they open up slightly in times of Salaah, or have a way to see the Imaam which makes things easier but again it all depends on the situation at the masjid itself. Certain places don't have the space or accommodations to be able to do such a thing so they do have scrumpy places for women, and that's something that needs to be worked out inshaAllaah within the individual communities if possible.

5) In the back? -- Yes, there is always a certain order to things in Islaam. At first glance feminists might feel like this is a back of the bus degrading sort of thing to women - but truly it's not at all. Various places have various designations for different people, not for purposes of discrimination, but rather ease and order. In a masjid the women pray towards the back of the masjid going forward and the men from the front coming backwards. That leaves spaces in between for filling in, and the men wont be tempted to look, or wont see the backsides of the women.

6) Different doors? -- Some people say this is good and better as again it lets women and men go their ways without bumping into each other, having issues getting through and by etc. Is it required? Not necessarily - does it make things easier many times? Yes.

7) Stay at home? -- If you wish. For women it is not required that they come to the masjid. If they want to, then that is fine inshaAllaah, but we have many responsibilities and duties which at times prevent us from being able to attend the masjid, so Allaah has lifted the burden of obligation from us, and has given us the ability to gain the same reward in our own homes as long as we pray with sincerity.

Otherwise, I think the arguments of sister Samiha are quite shallow. When we take our deen from the Prophet and the salaf, we never alter it to fit our state of imaan. Neither did the Prophet tell us any formula, how to dimension the laws of Islam according to the level of imaan of the society. I am sorry sister Samiha, I dont buy that.

:wasalam:

wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah

I am sorry you find my words shallow, May Allaah grant me more knowledge so that I am able to express myself in a more understandable manner. I have not much more to say about this matter and leave you with the words of our mother 'Aisha radiAllaahu anha :

It was proven that ‘Amrah bint ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: I heard ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), say: “If the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had seen the way the women are behaving, he would have forbidden them to go to the mosque as the women of the Children of Israel were forbidden.” It was said to ‘Amrah: Were the women of the Children of Israel forbidden to go to the mosque? She said: Yes.
Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh.

The only thing I have been trying to say is that behavior, comportment, hayaa' is all part of the conditions of being in and around the masjid, and sometimes I feel it is better if people cannot adhere to them - be they men or women - that there is a separation to prevent any consequences thereof.

Samiha - You're bringing up a specific example which has nothing to do with the general point being made. Every community should evaluate their own space and capacity in order to accommodate as many people as possible.

I completely agree with Saif. He said it much better than I could. It has been said that women are not the same as women were back when, so the rules should be changed. Well, men aren't the same either. Muslims in general are nothing like the Prophet and the Muslim men around at that time. Does that mean we change every rule and every example to fit what we THINK is proper for today? If so, we have a lot more to change than just what room people are in when they pray.

The example I gave was not directly related to the topic, but merely pointing out that it wasn't a case of disrespect in many circumstances but rather often lack of ability or capacity which prevents women getting better accommodations. I was trying to show it wasn't disrespect, because it was a personal case.

Does that mean that in some places they don't disrespect women? No... I've seen in Bangladesh myself when I went some people found the idea of a woman going to a masjid as preposterous or ridiculous. However I am not the owner of such people, we have the Qur'aan and Sunnah and the allowance for women to go so Alhamdulillah we stick with that. If we can teach others - use hikmah and understanding that's wonderful... but to go on a feminist parade about it? I don't see it as correct.

As for the final point, are men the same? Of course not. I apologize that I did not mention the men in my previous posts. It was only because it was the women who were protesting that I mentioned them mainly. But of course it also applies to the men, and if they know the conditions of the masaajid, and how to behave when there are women around. It is a responsibility on either end, not solely for the women and not only for the men, a cooperation on either spectrum. Now I suppose the real questions come to us.

Do we understand the conditions of the masjid? If the answer is yes, then walhamdulillah then may Allaah bless all of you and increase you in khayr, for whatever part of the masjid you pray in, as you will adhere to what is correct. Be it in the same room or otherwise.

If we dont understand or know them then this gives us a chance or opportunity to inshaAllaah ... so that we will be able to hold our heads high with dignity as Muslims where ever we pray inshaAllaah.

A post was made before outlining some of them: Going to Masjid

BarakAllaahu feekum for all of everyone's input. We should not put anyone down because of things they may or may not be used to, and we ourselves should look to our own actions and evaluate them. I pray Allaah guides us all to the truth and what is good. Again forgive me for any misgivings that may have transpired.

wasalam

Status
Not open for further replies.