Should he respond to non-Muslims when they wish him a Happy New Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Should he respond to non-Muslims when they wish him a Happy New Year?Is it permissible for me to say to non-Muslims “And the same to you” when they wish me a Happy New Year or say Best Wishes?.
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to greet or congratulate the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas, New Year or any of their other holidays, and it is not permissible to respond to them when they greet us on those occasions, because they are not festivals that are prescribed in our religion, and returning their greeting is an affirmation and approval of them. The Muslim should be proud of his religion and its rulings, and he should be keen to call others and convey to them the religion of Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on greeting the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas and how we should respond when they greet us on this occasion. Is it permissible to go to the parties that they hold on this occasion?

Is a person sinning if he does any of the things mentioned without intending to, and he only does it to be nice, or because of or shyness or embarrassment or other reasons? Is it permissible to imitate them in that?

He replied:

Greeting the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas or any of their other religious holidays is haraam according to scholarly consensus, as was stated by Ibn al-Qayyim in his book Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, where he says:

"Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah." End quote.

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not accept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. .
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . .

This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . .

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers."

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem Mukhaalifat Ashaab al-Jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak

End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/44.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

big3qc6.gif

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
It is not permissible to eat foods that are prepared by the kuffaar for their
festivals

Is it permissible for a Muslim to eat the foods that the people of the Book or the mushrikoon prepare for their festivals or accept such foods if they are given on the occasion of their festivals?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to eat foods that the Jews, Christians and mushrikoon make for their festivals. It is not permissible either for a Muslim to accept such things that are given to them on the occasion of their festivals, because that implies honouring them and cooperating with them in manifesting their symbols and propagating their innovations and sharing their happiness on the days of their festivals. That may also lead to taking their festivals as festivals for us too, or to exchanging invitations to meals or to give gifts on one another’s festivals at the very least. This is a kind of deviation and innovation in religion. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” And it is not permissible to give them anything on the occasion of their festivals.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/398

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
This is DEEN "

The basic principle for the Muslim is that he obeys whatever Allaah enjoins upon him, and refrains from whatever He forbids him, whether the reason behind that is clear or not

It is not permissible for a Muslim to reject any ruling of sharee’ah or to hesitate to follow it if the reason behind it is not clear. Rather he must accept the rulings on halaal and haraam when they are proven in the text, whether he understands the reason behind that or not. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”
[al-Ahzaab 33:36]
The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)”
[al-Noor 24:51]
"

3.gif

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim holidays and congratulating them

Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?

Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/947/

THE FATWA IN ARABIC which arabic is the Quran Langauge

حكم تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم

ما حكم تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم ؟ .

الحمد لله

تهنئة الكفار بعيد الكريسمس أو غيره من أعيادهم الدينية حرام بالاتفاق ، كما نقل ذلك ابن القيم - يرحمه الله - في كتاب ( أحكام أهل الذمة ) حيث قال : " وأما التهنئة بشعائر الكفر المختصة به فحرام بالاتفاق ، مثل أن يهنئهم بأعيادهم وصومهم ، فيقول: عيد مبارك عليك ، أو تهْنأ بهذا العيد ونحوه ، فهذا إن سلم قائله من الكفر فهو من المحرمات وهو بمنزلة أن يهنئه بسجوده للصليب بل ذلك أعظم إثماً عند الله ، وأشد مقتاً من التهنئة بشرب الخمر وقتل النفس ، وارتكاب الفرج الحرام ونحوه ، وكثير ممن لا قدر للدين عنده يقع في ذلك ، ولا يدري قبح ما فعل ، فمن هنّأ عبداً بمعصية أو بدعة ، أو كفر فقد تعرض لمقت الله وسخطه ." انتهى كلامه - يرحمه الله - .
وإنما كانت تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم الدينية حراماً وبهذه المثابة التي ذكرها ابن القيم لأن فيها إقراراً لما هم عليه من شعائر الكفر، ورضى به لهم ، وإن كان هو لا يرضى بهذا الكفر لنفسه ، لكن يحرم على المسلم أن يرضى بشعائر الكفر أو يهنّئ بها غيره ، لأن الله تعالى لا يرضى بذلك كما قال الله تعالى : { إن تكفروا فإن الله غني عنكم ولا يرضى لعباده الكفر وإن تشكروا يرضه لكم } وقال تعالى : { اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتي ورضيت لكم الإسلام ديناً } ، وتهنئتهم بذلك حرام سواء كانوا مشاركين للشخص في العمل أم لا .

وإذا هنؤنا بأعيادهم فإننا لا نجيبهم على ذلك لأنها ليست بأعياد لنا ، ولأنها أعياد لا يرضاها الله تعالى ، لأنها إما مبتدعة في دينهم وإما مشروعة لكن نسخت بدين الإسلام الذي بعث الله به محمداً إلى جميع الخلق ، وقال فيه : { ومن يبتغ غير الإسلام ديناً فلن يقبل منه وهو في الآخرة من الخاسرين } . وإجابة المسلم دعوتهم بهذه المناسبة حرام ، لأن هذا أعظم من تهنئتهم بها لما في ذلك من مشاركتهم فيها .

وكذلك يحرم على المسلمين التشبه بالكفار بإقامة الحفلات بهذه المناسبة ، أو تبادل الهدايا أو توزيع الحلوى ، أو أطباق الطعام ،أو تعطيل الأعمال ونحو ذلك لقول النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم : { من تشبّه بقوم فهو منهم } . قال شيخ الإسلام ابن تيميه في كتابه : ( اقتضاء الصراط المستقيم مخالفة أصحاب الجحيم ) : " مشابهتهم في بعض أعيادهم توجب سرور قلوبهم بما هم عليه من الباطل ، وربما أطمعهم ذلك في انتهاز الفرص واستذلال الضعفاء " . انتهي كلامه يرحمه الله .
ومن فعل شيئاً من ذلك فهو آثم سواء فعله مجاملة أو توددا أو حياء أو لغير ذلك من الأسباب لأنه من المداهنة في دين الله، ومن أسباب تقوية نفوس الكفار وفخرهم بدينهم .
والله المسئول أن يعز المسلمين بدينهم ، ويرزقهم الثبات عليه ، وينصرهم على أعدائهم ، إنه قوي عزيز . ( مجموع فتاوى ورسائل الشيخ ابن عثيمين 3/369 ) .

الشيخ محمد صالح المنجد

ummyasiin

Striving for Janatul firdous
mashallah, ukthi this was very beneficial for me, while I work with the public I often get the "happy holidays" or such n such and I may usually say "I dnt celebrate but back at you"..woow. well inshallah Im not counted against because I didnt know that it went to that extent as well, also im the only muslim in my family so they do they thing but with the meals it seems far fetch, I cant eat woow, they usually cook the day after or I eat the day after, becuz I dont go to the functions, but I cant eat.....woow

Amir_of_spain

In my position in the UK which is largely secular, non believing, non practising, for the bulk of the population Xmas is seen as a occasion for enjoyment i.e. food, time off work, spending time with family and shopping. Theres' actually little religious conotations linked with it. So when someone says to me here, have happy xmas i know they're referring to holiday, time off work to do whatever i wish whether it be going abroad, visiting family or shopping for items so i don't see it being an issue for me to return the good will gesture and say same with you or enjoy your holiday aswell. However this may not apply to others as someone in USA or from a practising Christain community where religious emphasis is included.

rightpath_357

‘New year is celebrated by them, as Jesus (peace be upon him) birthday. When we are greeting them that’s making them feel they are right and following the correct tradition. The festivals of the Christians are part of their religion, and if the Muslims venerate the festivals of the kuffaar by expressing joy and giving gifts, this means imitating them. "

Ummm- isn't that Christmas though :confused:

abu'muhammad

:salam2: dear brother,

The first lines I took from the islamqa : The festivals of the Christians are part of their religion, and if the Muslims venerate the festivals of the kuffaar by expressing joy and giving gifts, this means imitating them. the hadith then follows.the link - http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/8375/christmas

In absence of proof, the question to ask is: What is the benefit and what is the harm? If the benefit outweighs the harm, then go for it. The benefits here are many: Being neighborly (which Gabriel and the prophet emphasized over and over, peace be upon them), spreading peace, establishing friendships instead of alienating people and making them suspicious or afraid of Muslims! And the harm: Gullible Muslims may start adopting Christian traditions. If a Muslim's faith is shadowy or volatile, it may be a good idea for him to avoid contact with non-Muslims, but if he's a grownup with an independent mind, it is ridiculous to be so scared of Christian festivals that they might yank his faith from him.

I feel that you neglected the ruling posted of shaykh on the site. you called it without opinion, logicless. The fatwa with verses, scholarly concensus, reference from Imam Jawziya and by shaykh uthaymeen. If there was any goodness in showing gratitude, mannerism, etiquettes and all islamic goodness, balance of good/harm to the christians at this particular time the shaykh would had mentioned. But he mentioned to his understanding of sources and I believe that he has correct islamic stance regarding the subject than us. And many others like him have the same understanding pertaining Christmas or new year celebration.

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
:salam2:

Jaza kallahu khair for the information on this matter but i am shocked to know that nowadays muslims are going a step too far atleast where i live they celebrate christmas with having a family meal?? and they wish other muslims happy christmas subhanaAllah is this what the muslims have come to, that they have to celebrate other festivals but when its their own they dont celebrate it properly or even show up at eid prayer because they "had to work" its sad and i am annoyed to hear these ignorant muslims celebrate the birth of isa as the christians do :astag:

May Allah guide us all on the sirat al mustiqeem and keep us on it and to die with islam in our hearts Ameen

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Another fatwa that offers opinion without proof. .

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim

holidays and congratulating them
Can a muslim celebrate a non muslim holiday like Thanksgiving?

Praise be to Allaah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden.

It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them."

Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/947/

THE FATWA IN ARABIC which arabic is the Quran Langauge

حكم تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم

ما حكم تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم ؟ .

الحمد لله

تهنئة الكفار بعيد الكريسمس أو غيره من أعيادهم الدينية حرام بالاتفاق ، كما نقل ذلك ابن القيم - يرحمه الله - في كتاب ( أحكام أهل الذمة ) حيث قال : " وأما التهنئة بشعائر الكفر المختصة به فحرام بالاتفاق ، مثل أن يهنئهم بأعيادهم وصومهم ، فيقول: عيد مبارك عليك ، أو تهْنأ بهذا العيد ونحوه ، فهذا إن سلم قائله من الكفر فهو من المحرمات وهو بمنزلة أن يهنئه بسجوده للصليب بل ذلك أعظم إثماً عند الله ، وأشد مقتاً من التهنئة بشرب الخمر وقتل النفس ، وارتكاب الفرج الحرام ونحوه ، وكثير ممن لا قدر للدين عنده يقع في ذلك ، ولا يدري قبح ما فعل ، فمن هنّأ عبداً بمعصية أو بدعة ، أو كفر فقد تعرض لمقت الله وسخطه ." انتهى كلامه - يرحمه الله - .
وإنما كانت تهنئة الكفار بأعيادهم الدينية حراماً وبهذه المثابة التي ذكرها ابن القيم لأن فيها إقراراً لما هم عليه من شعائر الكفر، ورضى به لهم ، وإن كان هو لا يرضى بهذا الكفر لنفسه ، لكن يحرم على المسلم أن يرضى بشعائر الكفر أو يهنّئ بها غيره ، لأن الله تعالى لا يرضى بذلك كما قال الله تعالى : { إن تكفروا فإن الله غني عنكم ولا يرضى لعباده الكفر وإن تشكروا يرضه لكم } وقال تعالى : { اليوم أكملت لكم دينكم وأتممت عليكم نعمتي ورضيت لكم الإسلام ديناً } ، وتهنئتهم بذلك حرام سواء كانوا مشاركين للشخص في العمل أم لا .

وإذا هنؤنا بأعيادهم فإننا لا نجيبهم على ذلك لأنها ليست بأعياد لنا ، ولأنها أعياد لا يرضاها الله تعالى ، لأنها إما مبتدعة في دينهم وإما مشروعة لكن نسخت بدين الإسلام الذي بعث الله به محمداً إلى جميع الخلق ، وقال فيه : { ومن يبتغ غير الإسلام ديناً فلن يقبل منه وهو في الآخرة من الخاسرين } . وإجابة المسلم دعوتهم بهذه المناسبة حرام ، لأن هذا أعظم من تهنئتهم بها لما في ذلك من مشاركتهم فيها .
وكذلك يحرم على المسلمين التشبه بالكفار بإقامة الحفلات بهذه المناسبة ، أو تبادل الهدايا أو توزيع الحلوى ، أو أطباق الطعام ،أو تعطيل الأعمال ونحو ذلك لقول النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم : { من تشبّه بقوم فهو منهم } . قال شيخ الإسلام ابن تيميه في كتابه : ( اقتضاء الصراط المستقيم مخالفة أصحاب الجحيم ) : " مشابهتهم في بعض أعيادهم توجب سرور قلوبهم بما هم عليه من الباطل ، وربما أطمعهم ذلك في انتهاز الفرص واستذلال الضعفاء " . انتهي كلامه يرحمه الله .
ومن فعل شيئاً من ذلك فهو آثم سواء فعله مجاملة أو توددا أو حياء أو لغير ذلك من الأسباب لأنه من المداهنة في دين الله، ومن أسباب تقوية نفوس الكفار وفخرهم بدينهم .
والله المسئول أن يعز المسلمين بدينهم ، ويرزقهم الثبات عليه ، وينصرهم على أعدائهم ، إنه قوي عزيز . ( مجموع فتاوى ورسائل الشيخ ابن عثيمين 3/369 ) .

الشيخ محمد صالح المنجد

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Another fatwa ........................ .

Firstly:
it is not permissible for anyone to discuss matters of sharee’ah except scholars of sharee’ah who are specialized and qualified to research and examine issues. The writer of this article is not a seeker of shar’i knowledge (taalib ‘ilm) so it is not permissible for him to discuss something in which he is not specialized. Hence he has made many mistakes and said many ignorant things, and spoken about Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) without knowledge. This is a sinful matter and is misguiding his readers. By the same token it is not permissible for the media – newspapers, magazines, etc – to give space to those who are not scholars of sharee’ah to discuss shar’i rulings and write about things that are not their specialty, so that the Muslims may be protected from their ideas and beliefs.

Secondly:
Nothing can benefit the deceased after his death except that which is indicated by the shar’i evidence, such as the report in which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a man dies, his (good) deeds come to an end except three: ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge and a righteous son who will pray for him.” Narrated by Muslim, 1631. As for the sins that a person committed during his lifetime, and died without having repented from them – including singing – he will be punished for them unless Allaah forgives him for them by His Grace and kindness. So it is not permissible to resurrect them and revive them after he has died, lest that sin be added to the sins that he committed during his lifetime, because the harm of that extends to others, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces a bad practice into Islam, the burden of that sin will be upon him, as will the sin of those who do it after him, without that detracting from their burden in the slightest.” Narrated by Muslim, 1017.

Remember what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever seeks to please Allaah by angering people, Allaah will suffice to protect him from people, but whoever seeks to please people by angering Allaah, Allaah will abandon him to the people.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi in Kitaab al-Zuhd, no. 2338).

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
mashallah, ukthi this was very beneficial for me, while I work with the public I often get the "happy holidays" or such n such and I may usually say "I dnt celebrate but back at you"..woow. well inshallah Im not counted against because I didnt know that it went to that extent as well, also im the only muslim in my family so they do they thing but with the meals it seems far fetch, I cant eat woow, they usually cook the day after or I eat the day after, becuz I dont go to the functions, but I cant eat.....woow

MAY Allah bless you Ukhti and increase your faith Ameen

The basic principle for the Muslim is that he obeys whatever Allaah enjoins upon him, and refrains from whatever He forbids him, whether the reason behind that is clear or not.
It is not permissible for a Muslim to reject any ruling of sharee’ah or to hesitate to follow it if the reason behind it is not clear. Rather he must accept the rulings on halaal and haraam when they are proven in the text, whether he understands the reason behind that or not. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error

The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)”

:SMILY252::SMILY252:

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
Wa Alaykum Assalaam, brother. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it cannot be forced on other Muslims who do not see it that way, not without proof from the Quran or the authentic Hadeeth. I had several Christian friends who wished me a happy Ramadhaan. Does that means they believe that Islam is the right tradition?

In absence of proof, the question to ask is: What is the benefit and what is the harm? If the benefit outweighs the harm, then go for it. The benefits here are many: Being neighborly (which Gabriel and the prophet emphasized over and over, peace be upon them), spreading peace, establishing friendships instead of alienating people and making them suspicious or afraid of Muslims! And the harm: Gullible Muslims may start adopting Christian traditions. If a Muslim's faith is shadowy or volatile, it may be a good idea for him to avoid contact with non-Muslims, but if he's a grownup with an independent mind, it is ridiculous to be so scared of Christian festivals that they might yank his faith from him.

Brother Ayman

The basic principle for the Muslim is that he obeys whatever Allaah enjoins upon him, and refrains from whatever He forbids him, whether the reason behind that is clear or not

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”
“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)”

RandyJackson

Sister Sandra,

Are you 100% sure that the website that gave you this information is 100% Islamic? I always try to imagine who typed up the fatwas while I'm reading them.

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah

Jaza kallahu khair for the information on this matter but i am shocked to know that nowadays muslims are going a step too far atleast where i live they celebrate christmas with having a family meal?? and they wish other muslims happy christmas subhanaAllah is this what the muslims have come to, that they have to celebrate other festivals but when its their own they dont celebrate it properly or even show up at eid prayer because they "had to work" its sad and i am annoyed to hear these ignorant muslims celebrate the birth of isa as the christians do :astag:

May Allah guide us all on the sirat al mustiqeem and keep us on it and to die with islam in our hearts Ameen

The same here Brother Ameen Ameen

May Allah guide them to the right Path Ameen

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum

Ok after reading this it is just different, i have to agree with brother ayman.
If you live in a non muslim country its not that easy, people are being cheerful and happy if we make a sad/mad face and dont reply to them what will they think, is islam a good religion? you have to consider many factors, i try my best that such situations dont come up but if someone says something a simple you too or Happy Holidays like i dont see any harm in that.
Many non muslim say Happy Ramadan or Happy Eid, they are even polite enough not to eat infront of me during ramadan and give us day off without question on EID, its the fault of the people themselves who want to work on EID not non muslims, like they have such nice manners and they accept us Dont force us to eat pork, alcohol, respect our needs for halal Food, During EID we are allowed to use parks, school, halls , many places and they are so polite about it.
ALl those scholars give out Fatwa but our Prophet (Peace be Upon him) also said the best among us are the best in manners and in order to bring people to islam we need to show our religion brings out peace and good nature among people.

I think a simple you too or Happy holidays is not that harm but Its very important that we all tell them about our celebrations too, Many people believe Ramadan is our celebration although our main celebration is the two EID, ramadan has its own blessing which is worth celebrating but its different from EID.

I could be wrong so feel free to correct me and what i said is just a opinion Please dont base ur decision on it

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
^^^^^^^

Im sorry- but I kind of have to agree with the bro above.
Can't we just simply say something :confused:
New Years , I don't think it's based on their religon- I don't celebrate- but I'm happy to know that it's a good new year of proving myself as a Muslim- and "Happy New Years" is for everybody- isn't it :confused:

plz correct me if I'm wrong:)

" I have seen Muslims pass Islamic revelations to people who are not Muslim, but they don't go around calling them sinners."

:lol: thats actually pretty funny!!!:D:shymuslima1:

Salam:D
:muslim_child:
:tti_sister:

Sister MAY Allah bless you
first of All our true Guidness is the Prophet peace upon
not People:hijabi:

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
aslam o aliakum

Ok after reading this it is just different, i have to agree with brother ayman.

This is A Religion not Philosphy oppinion

"Say: Bring your proof, if ye are truthful"

Remember what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever seeks to please Allaah by angering people, Allaah will suffice to protect him from people, but whoever seeks to please people by angering Allaah, Allaah will abandon him to the people.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi in Kitaab al-Zuhd, no. 2338).

I AM wondering subhan Allah Astaghfur Allah

This is a kind of deviation and innovation in religion. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” And it is not permissible to give them anything on the occasion of their festivals

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
This is A Religion not Philosphy oppinion

"Say: Bring your proof, if ye are truthful"

I AM wondering subhan Allah Astaghfur Allah

This is a kind of deviation and innovation in religion. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever introduces anything into this matter of ours that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” And it is not permissible to give them anything on the occasion of their festivals

sister i agree with u like to be honest i feel so confuse but u have to imagine what impression thatwould put the muslims in

Status
Not open for further replies.