Spelling test

Discussion in 'TurnToIslam Lounge !' started by umm hussain, Jul 10, 2007.

1. umm hussain

umm hussain Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0
    They've been campaigning for a century to make the spelling of the English language easier and recently picketed a spelling bee in the US to make their point. Welcome to the Simplified Spelling Society.

Masha Bell, a member of the society and author of Understanding English Spelling, believes that reform of the spelling of the English language could help children learn to read and make life easier for some adults too.

Simplified spelling glossary
    Here are a selection of reformed spellings as envisaged by the Simplified Spelling Society.

Addicted - adicted

Anyone - ennywun

Are - ar

Beautiful - butiful

Becoming - becumming

Benefit - bennefit

Couple - cupl

Difference - difrence

Have - hav

Health - helth

Learn - lern

Low - lo

Memory - memmory

Money - munny

More - mor

Most - moast

One - wun

Only - onely

People - peeple

Phonic - phonnic

Poor - por

Single - singl

Simple - simpl

Slow - slo

Still - stil

Therefore - therefor

To - tu

Very - verry

Were - wer

Worse - wors

You - u

Young - yung

Your - yor

Prof Vivian Cook, a linguist, expert in second language learning and author of Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary, believes changing spellings would be unnecessary, expensive and could harm children's ability to read.

We pitched the two, spelling reformer and spelling traditionalist, into a battle to persuade the other. Here they debate the merits of spelling systems, in the form of short e-mails.

Some of Ms Bell's entries are partly-written in simplified spelling.

Some comments from the general Public I find to be Hilarious

Making the English language even simpler is a big mistake. I managed to learn it in half a year while living in America. But her idea is already happening in internet chatrooms where making words shorter is top priority. English pronunciation is tough but I would not be helped by saying ennywun. Also as a high speed reader this would definetly slow me down. And it doesnt make children more literate it just makes them put speech on paper. Look at this classic Shakespeare qoute: Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. Translates to: Som r born grate{or greight?}, Som achiv gratenes, and som hav greightnes thrust upon tem. Poetic no?

2. Ms. Bell's reasoning definitely shows that she has not taken into consideration the universality of the English language. In a country like Uganda, where I come from and where English is the official language, the word "becoming" can be rendered pronunciations like: "bikaming", "bekkaming" and "bikaamingi" depending on the tribal and linguistic background of the speaker. Does that mean that we should have a pronunciation that makes learning easier for every English speaking child, whether native or non-native? English has already gone through the evolution of American and British spellings, let that be enough. English is a universal language and we should let it preserve its common denominator, i.e. its universal spelling.

3.During a recent holiday in the UK I found myself behind a coach full of teens. As with all teens, they must have amused themselves writing graffiti on the sooty back of the coach. Irrespective of the nature of the comments (we had a good laugh over most of them) my partner and I were mortified to notice that not a single graffiti had been spelled correctly. Having learnt English from my father and from reading books (raised abroad), I wondered if the British education system is failing its pupils or whether the pupils are simply not trying hard enough. It's not rocket science, for crying out loud, it's just spelling!

To read many more comments

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6250184.stm
  2. jabba

jabba Salafi Dawah is the best

free from work inshAllah for 5.5 months
    Ratings Received:
    +1 / 1
    :salam2:

The dumbing down of society....like society isn't dumb enough already :rolleyes:
    :wasalam:
  3. amyaishazouaoui
    Goofy

amyaishazouaoui Junior Member

athrawes
    Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0

changing spellings to become like this would only help a certain part of society. By this i mean that in different areas, we pronounce things differently.

I grew up in wales, and alhamdulillah leant welsh. I used to spell things like boot, like bwt, because in welsh w makes the oo sound.

It is hilarious, we were only laughing how dumb the gcse have become.....especially in science. Where has the nitty gritty stuff gone. They are developing a generation of people who can describe things very well but who know nothing!!

Oh well swings and roundabouts

:wasalam:

AAZ
  4. Proud2BeHumble

Proud2BeHumble Seek Truth, Be Happy

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0

There are many other word like:

your - ur

are - r

dont know - dunno

we - v

ok - .k

how is - howz

etc

I have really very difficult time in swallowing these words when someone use them in chating/ email etc. This trend simply indicate how people have gone lazy, impatient and disrespectful.

Wasalam
  5. jabba

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 1

Ahh it hurts my eyes to see all these abbreviations :SMILY47:
  6. diamond

diamond Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    salam

i think its ridiculous wanting to change the spelling of words. words which have double letters become single and words with single letters are doubled!! wheres the logic in that?? it will do nothing but confuse youngsters and adults, everything will become simply mumbo jumbo and it will take many years to sort out if implemented.

ws
  7. alhamdulillah

alhamdulillah Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0
    Bismillah,

Assalamualaykum dear all,

interesting thread Masha'Allah, but with due respect - i like to spell 'beatiful' like this:

B-YOO-TI-FUL

lol sMiLe, its good for health...but even more so? you're right, a form of charity :hijabi:

Alhamdulillah

Wassalamualaikum

your sister in Islam
  8. IslamIsLight

IslamIsLight Islam is my life Staff Member

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0
    :SMILY335:

so now we can just write whatever,forget about spelling ,or grammar,lets just be all dumb
  9. jabba

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 1

Ahhh no all these spelling shortcuts make me dizzy
  10. muslimad

muslimad Asalamu Alaykum!

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0
    There actually making some of these words harder to spell such as becumming* and Phonnic* but the rest are so ridiculous they make us learn grammer and spelling for 12years at school and then decide we dont have to use the correct spelling anymore after all the stress of making all this soo important!:SMILY309:
  11. Jihan

Jihan Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    i understood this but i felt i was speakking with a strong accent where you turn all th in z.
  12. farhopes

farhopes No God but Allah

Teacher of English
    Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Assalamo alikom

I like my job as a teacher of English. However, I think if it turns to be like that, GOD FORBID, I may resign and search for something else to do ...LOL. That's horrible!!!
  13. sumaya_graham

sumaya_graham Junior Member

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0
    Spelling

Assalam alaikum,

I think that the reason behind shortening words in text messages is so that the message doesn't cost so much to send and because people are lazy. I shortenn words down but not because I'm lazt because it takes much more energy thinking about what I can shorten!!! jajajaja

However, I don't use that language with people that I don't think will understand it.

Just my two pennies worth, :)

Fi amanillah,
    Sumaya