Spousal Abuse

justoneofmillion

fox lazy news

:salam2:
It isn't clear if the increase in calls is due to more abuse or whether more immigrant women, exposed to America's open culture, have felt the freedom to seek help
This is nothing new it exists in all cultures and it is wrong... well if they wanna denounce this then they need to addresse it to all the communities it is strange how some medias who pretend to be of universalistic and humanist ideologies tend to reduce their visions to anecdotism when the lab rat underneath happens to be the Muslim community

and of course they love statements like this
"In my culture there are men like this, even well-educated men, who call women ignorant and backwards," she says. "But they are the ignorant ones."
But many are reluctant to quantify to what degree Muslim faith perpetuates the problem.

Practicing Muslims, even battered women, do not want to portray Islam as an abusive religion or demonize all Muslim men.
yeah beautiful i wonder if everytime they interview an alcoholic or a drug addict s beaten wife the faith of her husband is questioned..

what a finish they should have finished with an article like this for example (the one below) to put things into the wider environmental context in which those particular individuals live i believe and not as if it was something so uncommon and strange to their experience as snobby sophisticated minds....

however this is my own opinion and allah swt knows best thanks for sharing sister

Abuse In America

* 4 million American women experience a serious assault by a partner during an average 12-month period. 1

On the average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day.2

92% of women say that reducing domestic violence and sexual assault should be at the top of any formal efforts taken on behalf of women today.3

1 out of 3 women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime.4

1 in 5 female high school students reports being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. Abused girls are significantly more likely to get involved in other risky behaviors. They are 4 to 6 times more likely to get pregnant and 8 to 9 times more likely to have tried to commit suicide.4

1 in 3 teens report knowing a friend or peer who has been hit, punched, slapped, choked or physically hurt by his/her partner.5

Women of all races are equally vulnerable to violence by an intimate partner.6

37% of all women who sought care in hospital emergency rooms for violence–related injuries were injured by a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend.7

Some estimates say almost 1 million incidents of violence occur against a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend per year. 8

For 30% of women who experience abuse, the first incident occurs during pregnancy.9

As many as 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during their pregnancy. 10

Violence against women costs companies $72.8 million annually due to lost productivity.11

74% of employed battered women were harassed by their partner while they were at work.12

Ninety-four percent of the offenders in murder-suicides were male.13

Seventy-four percent of all murder-suicides involved an intimate partner(spouse, common-law spouse, ex-spouse, or boyfriend/girlfriend). Of these, 96 percent were females killed by their intimate partners.13

Most murder-suicides with three or more victims involved a "family annihilator" -- a subcategory of intimate partner murder-suicide.Family annihilators are murderers who kill not only their wives/girlfriends and children, but often other family members as well,before killing themselves.13

Seventy-five percent of murder-suicides occurred in the home.13

1. Issues and Dilemmas in Family Violence: Report of the American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family . Washington, DC: American Psychological Association; 1996.

2. Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001, February 2003.

3. Progress & Perils: New Agenda for Women, Center for the Advancement of Women. June 2003.

4. Silverman, Jay G., Raj, Anita, and Clements, Karen. “Dating Violence Against Adolescent Girls and Associated Substance Use, Unhealthy Weight Control, Sexual Risk Behavior, Pregnancy, and Suicidality.” Pediatrics, August 2004.

5. Teenage Research Unlimited. Findings from study commissioned by Liz Claiborne Inc. to investigate the level of and attitudes towards dating abuse among American teenagers aged 13 to 18 [online] 2005 Feb [cited 2006 Mar 20]. Available from: URL: www.loveisnotabuse.com/statistics_abuseandteens.htm

6. US. Department of Justice, Violence-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments, August 1997.

7. US Department of Justice.

8. The Commonwealth Fund, Health Concerns Across a Woman’s Lifespan: 1998 Survey of Women’s Health, May 1999.

9. Helton et al 1987.

10. Gazmararian JA, Petersen R, Spitz AM, Goodwin MM, Saltzman LE, Marks JS. “Violence and reproductive health; current knowledge and future research directions.” Maternal and Child Health Journal 2000; 4(2):79-84.

11. Costs of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women in the United States. 2003. Center for disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Atlanta, GA/

12. Family Violence Prevention Fund. 1998. The Workplace Guide for Employer, Unions, and Advocates, San Francisco, CA.

13. Violence Policy Center (VPC), American Roulette: Murder-Suicide in the United States, April 2006.
jameel

Quratulaine

thanks for the article sister. fox news makes me sick.....actually almost all news makes me sick. i NEVER watch the news on TV and occasionally i will read the paper....the other day i went to borders just to browse the magazines and the first thing i saw was a picture of a mosque and in big letters: "A WORLD WITHOUT ISLAM" i briefly opened the magazine, and it seemed so unbelievably ignorant....there was even articles bashing germans/french saying how they learn in the universities that capitalism is EVIL and CORRPUT or something.

i know that its best not to get angry about these things...but it can be hard. and i don't shop at bookstores anymore like borders, since the "bestsellers" usually feature a "liberated woman" who has come to america from saudi or wherever and her story. hmm....anyways. this is what the american public has to learn about islam..and in the religion section there are some books about islam (very few) and ALOT of books titled "why i left islam" and "what's wrong with islam"

ok.....i'm sure alot of us living in countries in america have seen similar things....it just saddens me...and no wonder americans have a negative picture of islam! you have to really dig deep to find any info about it.

sorry i went off topic....its just that this newpaper article reminds me of this problem....:girl3::girl3::girl3:

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Brother Justone,

Salaam, could you please provide the link to the information you posted? It would be invaluable when I am argueing the very point you made. If I had a dime for everytime someone tried to link Islam with domestic violence I woud be rich.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

dianek

I think that they often associate Islam with "wife-beating" because it is perceived that Islam embraces such behavior........and like another sister said, they can't find easily correct information on the topic to know what is really said. But honestly, I can see where the man being the keeper of women allows others to see it as a free card to treat them as they wish. From an outsider's view that is.

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty

thanks for the article sister. fox news makes me sick.....actually almost all news makes me sick. i NEVER watch the news on TV and occasionally i will read the paper....the other day i went to borders just to browse the magazines and the first thing i saw was a picture of a mosque and in big letters: "A WORLD WITHOUT ISLAM" i briefly opened the magazine, and it seemed so unbelievably ignorant....there was even articles bashing germans/french saying how they learn in the universities that capitalism is EVIL and CORRPUT or something.

i know that its best not to get angry about these things...but it can be hard. and i don't shop at bookstores anymore like borders, since the "bestsellers" usually feature a "liberated woman" who has come to america from saudi or wherever and her story. hmm....anyways. this is what the american public has to learn about islam..and in the religion section there are some books about islam (very few) and ALOT of books titled "why i left islam" and "what's wrong with islam"

ok.....i'm sure alot of us living in countries in america have seen similar things....it just saddens me...and no wonder americans have a negative picture of islam! you have to really dig deep to find any info about it.
sorry
:wasalam:

:salam2: sister, I know it does make you feel disgusted the way they portray Islam.
There is usually two options people take concerning Islam.
They live it or attack it. :girl3:

Kayote

Salam,

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. But I have to raise a point about FOX News. Why surf their channel/website? All we end up doing is increasing there viewer statistics & trust me when I say this, it counts a lot how many people watch/view their channel/sites etc.

Fox News is well known for its bias against muslims and pro republican (think McCain) side.

Just thought I'd saw what was on my mind. :D

Salam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
I think that they often associate Islam with "wife-beating" because it is perceived that Islam embraces such behavior........and like another sister said, they can't find easily correct information on the topic to know what is really said. But honestly, I can see where the man being the keeper of women allows others to see it as a free card to treat them as they wish. From an outsider's view that is.

there are so many things that say men must treat their Wife/wives with kindness:

God instructs men to be nice to their wives and to treat them well to the best of their ability:

“…And live with them in kindness…” (Quran 4:19)

The Messenger of God said, The most perfect of believers in belief is the best of them in character. The best of you are those who are the best to their women.’[1] The Prophet of Mercy tells us that a husband’s treatment of his wife reflects a Muslim’s good character, which in turn is a reflection of the man’s faith. How can a Muslim husband be good to his wife? He should smile, not hurt her emotionally, remove anything that will harm her, treat her gently, and be patient with her.

The Messenger of God said, “A believing man should not hate a believing woman. If he dislikes something in her character, he should be pleased with some other trait of hers.”[2] A man should not hate his wife because if he dislikes something in her, he will find something he likes about her if he gives it a chance.

A companion asked the Prophet of God what is the right of a wife over her husband?’ He said, “That you feed her when you eat and clothe her when you clothe yourself and do not strike her face. Do not malign her and do not keep apart from her, except in the house.”[3]

Footnotes:
[1] Al-Tirmidhi
[2] Saheeh Muslim.
[3] Abu Daud.