Sudan apostasy sentence: Islamically justified?

Cariad

I do not know what to think about this case. It is beyond sad. :( this woman was brought up by her Christian mother and considers herself a Christian. Her Muslim father having abandoned them. How then can she ever be considered a Muslim? Through her father who contributed nothing except his DNA? Is this correct thinking?

I do not know why this dear woman is still held in prison or even worse her two children... The article implies that the "witnesses" against her who claim to be family may not even be family and are motivated by personal greed and have designs on her business. If this is so.. It is a shameful miscarriage of justice. Does the concept of innocent until proven guilty mean nothing here? This dear woman and her children should be released and these ridiculous trumped up charges against her dropped, she and her family should be allowed to live their lives and worship God according to their own beliefs. I pray God will protect her and continue to strengthen her resolve in the face of this discrimination and injustice.

ProudToBeaMuslim

Here is a write up I came across: <Please note that the below is not necessarily my view, just sharing for learning purposes>

News and Comment
The Sudanese Government Does Not Represent Islam

News:
A Sudanese judge has sentenced a Christian woman to hang for apostasy, despite appeals by Western embassies for compassion and respect for religious freedom. The case, thought to be the first of its kind to be heard in Sudan, involves a woman whose Christian name is Mariam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag. "We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam," Judge Abbas Mohammed Al-Khalifa told the woman on Thursday, addressing her by her father's Muslim name, Adraf Al-Hadi Mohammed Abdullah. "I sentence you to be hanged to death." Khalifa also sentenced Ishag to 100 lashes for "adultery". Ishag, who rights activists say is pregnant and 27 years old, reacted without emotion when Abbas delivered the verdict at a court in the Khartoum district of Haj Yousef. Earlier in the hearing, an Islamic religious leader spoke with Ishag in the caged dock for about 30 minutes. Then she told the judge: "I am a Christian and I never committed apostasy." Sudan's government introduced Islamic law in 1983 but extreme punishments other than flogging are rare. (Source: Al Jazeera)

Comment:
Once again, Sudan's arbitrary Shariah laws are causing controversy. Although Sudan is a majority Muslim nation, its constitution is vague and based on secular thought as well as some aspects of Islam. Its wording is indicative of the Shari’ as the basis but its ambiguity leaves out the necessary detail required to settle inter-religious disputes, as well as modern day issues. Applying any rule of law in an inconsistent manner will always result in oppression or dhulm of another. Any government that perpetuates this is clearly serving its own agenda and not serving the best interests of society and we should be clear that all the Muslim governments today are guilty of this.
Adultery is a major sin in Islam and of course the hudood must be taken from Shari’, however along with the hudood should be the correct atmosphere and culturing of the entire society at all levels. Where the Islamic hudood is not only feared, but acclaimed and admired by Muslims and non-Muslims alike, where the society’s thinking is higher and people realise the honor of a woman and therefore the value of segregation and the Islamic dress code, as well being convinced of the evils that arise from free mixing and extra marital relationships. Also the wider effects of apostasy will be acknowledged with no need to be apologetic in the face of western secular liberalism.
Allah swt says, ﴿يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ادْخُلُوا فِي السِّلْمِ كَافَّةً وَلَا تَتَّبِعُوا خُطُوَاتِ الشَّيْطَانِ﴾ "Enter into the fold of Islam completely, and follow not the footsteps of the Shaitan." (Al Baqarah: 208). Proving there is no concept of following only some aspects of Islam, as individuals or as an ummah.
Unsurprisingly the western media in its malicious blood lust towards Islam has constant coverage of this case day and night, not due to a concern for Mariam and her children as they would have us believe, but in their desire to demonise any aspect of Shariah law and obliterate it from hearts and minds of the Muslims as a sadistic and barbaric one. Even the beautiful wisdoms of suckling a child for two years are brazenly ridiculed by the so-called educated ideologues, and all this because the Sudanese government has failed to uphold Islam in its entirety, from which the world could witness social progress, education, justice and tolerance. Instead its incorrect application of Sharia along with all the checks and balances also necessitated by Shariah, has further made Islam into a topic of ridicule, hatred and a deviation from civilization. The exact opposite of what Hukm Shara has been revealed to achieve, and did achieve for over 1400 years.
Only the return of the promised Khilafah Rashida will give protection for the Islamic Shariah Rule.

Written for the Central Media Office of Hizb ut Tahrir by
Um Mohammed

Precious Star

I am hearing more and more of this story and it sickens me. The woman is in jail because her stepbrother was jelaous that she was about to immigrate to the USA with her new husband, so he complained to the Islamic government that she married outside her religion.

She is also being held in jail in shackles, i.e metal chains around her ankles. What a wonderful way to suckle a baby! These people know nothing about Islam. They are perverting Islam for their own political gain.

Also, it is not uncommon for MALE police in Sudan to arrest women for not wearing hijab. This includes muslim and Christian women. The manner in which they do so, is they physically detain them - in other words, they hold onto the arm of the woman and take her into the police car and then the police station.

Again,another perversion of Islam -- since when are men allowed to touch women, grab them, be alone with them in a car, etc????? These muslim and non muslim women are being assaulted by so-called muslim policemen on the streets of Sudan.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Assalamu'alaikum!
Greeting,
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim:

Meriam Ibrahim were Illegitimate kid like her kids due to > marrying outside Islamic rite.
Meriam Ibrahim herself a child coming from an illegal rite marriage in Islam,her mom was not, but her father a muslim,even though Meriam’s mother did not embraced into Islam when marrying her father but Meriam’s father Ibrahim making sure his child is.By adopting Meriam Ibrahim as her name and noted her Islam as status of her religion at birth, and she is muslim since birth.

Meriam Ibrahim claimed didn’t brought up as muslim ( as her mother denied Islam)FAILED as being a practice muslim ever since as early age but never denounce Islam. She chose a Christian for husband and marrying him in Church .After the birth of her kids, she's going to the States to stay with him then that making her decide to change her status from Islam to Christian .

Now,
Meriam Ibrahim is in prison in Sudan taking her sentence.

Is this justice they ask???

Ok,
In Islam,Sudan is making the right decision in prisoning her because

1)She is confuse.

2)She can’t denouce Islam because she is a born muslim.
if she insist and still in her decision

3)She shall see death sentence if she insist.

4)Her kids too consider as muslim kid and Islam has the right for those kid
even though they have a non muslim father.

5)All other religion can denouce their religion BUT not Islam!

Islam is too so beautiful that People in those days will even volunteer to die for Islam.

Come close and understand Islam.
I bear witness that:
There is NO GOD except Allah
And
Prophet Muhammad is Allah meessenger.

~Wassalam.

Last edited:

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
And whoever does a wrong or wrongs
himself/herself but then seeks forgiveness of
Allah will find Allah Forgiving and Merciful.
Holy qur'an:Surah An-Nisa' 4:110

comeback to Islam dearest sister:SMILY252:

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
"The seven heavens, the earth and all beings there in declare Allah glory. There is not a single thing but glorifies Allah with all praises upon Allah, but you do not understand their hymns glorifying Allah.
The fact is that Allah is very Forbearing, Forgiving."
~Holy Qur'an Surah Al-'Isra' :17:44

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim
"Bad women are for bad men and bad men are for bad women. And good women are for good men and good men are for good women."
[Noble holy Quran 24:26]

and he is definitely bad for you dearest sister please realise your mistake soon.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
Bismillahirrahmanirahim:
:SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252:
"Tell My servants that I am the Most-Forgiving,
the Very-Merciful"
~Holy qur'an:Surah Al-Hijr :15:49
:SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252::SMILY252:

Aapa

Mirajmom
WOW

Sister QueenIslam,

I am in shock.

Forgive me sister but there is another way to look at the plight of the young preganat mother.
I am no scholar but the rules in Sharia are very strict. The young woman in custody does not represent soemone who will kill Muslims. And the case for adultery is very clear. Four witnessess at the time of penatration. ( I am still trying to figure out the adultery issue in this case...??? )
She is not concerned about being a Muslim. There is no compulsion in religion. There is always the hope of the Mercy of Allah swt touching the heart of this poor woman.
Islam's essence is to be merciful and compassionate. This is a mother with life in her. Unless I read the facts wrong.

Faith is so personal. She is honest. She is not Muslim. OK...Let it be.
Let us concentrate on our shortcomings. Let us make dua for the sake of fear.

This is a case of mind your own business. Interesting side-note ...what is up with these relatives and attacks on women? The poor Pakistani woman last week and now this?

Once again forgive me as this is really frightening.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
We very often judge others whose don´t follow rules of islam or whose díslike sharia etc. and claim they are not muslims any more. Why in the case of this young woman we try so strongly to prove she is a muslim (and forget is it important do she really believes, follows rules, have been taught to follow islam in hers home etc.).

If she is not muslim, how we can ask she will become judged at all? Did she committed adultery or is she married with the father of hers unborn child? If yes, where is the crime?

Precious Star

We very often judge others whose don´t follow rules of islam or whose díslike sharia etc. and claim they are not muslims any more. Why in the case of this young woman we try so strongly to prove she is a muslim (and forget is it important do she really believes, follows rules, have been taught to follow islam in hers home etc.).

If she is not muslim, how we can ask she will become judged at all? Did she committed adultery or is she married with the father of hers unborn child? If yes, where is the crime?

I know, it is almost like muslims are now insisting that muslims are a "race". Being muslim is purely about belief. It is not a biological imperative. We are not jews.

And to shackle and imprison a woman who is pregnant and breastfeeding, and imprison her child -- astaghfirullah.

Precious Star

Assalamu'alaikum!
Greeting,

By adopting Meriam Ibrahim as her name and noted her Islam as status of her religion at birth, and she is muslim since birth.

Ok,

1)She is confuse.

Assalamu'alaikum!
Greeting,

Meriam Ibrahim were Illegitimate kid like her kids due to > marrying outside Islamic rite.
Meriam Ibrahim herself a child coming from an illegal rite marriage in Islam,her mom was not, but her father a muslim,even though Meriam’s mother did not embraced into Islam when marrying her father but Meriam’s father Ibrahim making sure his child is.By adopting Meriam Ibrahim as her name and noted her Islam as status of her religion at birth, and she is muslim since birth.

Meriam Ibrahim claimed didn’t brought up as muslim ( as her mother denied Islam)FAILED as being a practice muslim ever since as early age but never denounce Islam. She chose a Christian for husband and marrying him in Church .After the birth of her kids, she's going to the States to stay with him then that making her decide to change her status from Islam to Christian .

Now,

Ok,

1)She is confuse.

3)She shall see death sentence if she insist.

4)Her kids too consider as muslim kid and Islam has the right for those kid
even though they have a non muslim father.

5)All other religion can denouce their religion BUT not Islam!

Islam is too so beautiful that People in those days will even volunteer to die for Islam.

Come close and understand Islam.
I bear witness that:
There is NO GOD except Allah
And
Prophet Muhammad is Allah meessenger.

~Wassalam.

Queenislam, it is NOT the right decision to imprison her. What are you saying??? That if a person does not admit they are muslim, then we shackle and chain them????

Queenislam, why did you not say anything about the haram father - the man who abandoned Merium Ibrahim, the "muslim" father who abandoned his daughter??? Why isn't he in prison??

Queenislam, I am sorry to be harsh, but there is no Quranic directive that says a person is muslim by reason of their biological lineage. Muslim is not about BLOOD. It is about faith, it is about SHAHADA. Did this woman say the Shahada? Did her children say the Shahada? Why are her children imprisoned?

Astaghfirullah.

MehmetHilmi

You know who should be locked away in prison? The leaders of those corrupt violent countries. They are people filled with corruption, violence, and many more.

As for the religious authorities who condone this type of behavior, they too should be locked away. Those guys think that their long beards and long thobes will purify them when in reality they are nothing but warmongering, hateful, and misogynist idiots who wrongfully use Islam to oppress the majority and gain power.

These Sudanese authorities think that they have achieved Sharia just because they put an "apostate" in prison. Meanwhile, their population is starving, they have ongoing violent conflict in Darfur, and there are even allegations of slavery in Sudan. Is this a true Islamic State? I'd say, the US is more of an Islamic State than any of those backwater "Muslim" nations.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Everyone is born Muslim. Bht It is the parents who will make them adopt Islam or other religions as children grow up as our Prophet told us. And in the case of this woman she went with what her mother taught her which was Christianity. Even if her father was/is Muslim but she was not raised by him and only her mother then it's his fault for not being in his daughters life. And his daughter is now a Christian. So how can she leave a religion she never even claimed or believed in before? This is just what's confusing me. How can people insist she was Muslim when she is saying she never was Muslim?

Maybe there is more to the story that we don't know. Allahu A'lam.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
^^ I agree with you, br MehmetHilmi.

If the judge commits crimes or if he favors the offense, can we trust the judge?

Cariad

I am pleased that the opinion of the majority of muslims on this thread can see the injustice here.

I do not believe the situation Meriam finds herself in is a reflection of Islam.. But a deviation at the hands of misguided men.. Who I think must be far from God to deal so cruelly with a women and her children... Who are all innocent of any crime. Meriam is married to her Christian husband her children are not illegitimate in the eyes of God.. Only by the rules of Islam. Which as a Christian do not apply to her, so why should she be slandered and vilified in this matter. It is sad and shameful, that others who are also sinners are so sure of their own piety to cast aspersions against her character. God will care for Meriam and her children as I know God will punish those who perpetrate such abuse in His name.

May God bless the good, the true and the honest.