6-8 cardamon pods, split open
3-5 cloves
1 tsp fennel seeds
2-3 small cinnamon sticks
3 black tea bags
1 vanilla tea bag
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:

In a large tea pot add the water, cardamon pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to boil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.

Add all four tea bags. Lower heat to medium low and steep for 10 minutes.

Remove tea bags. Add the condensed milk, stirring well to fully incorporate. Stir occasionally to avoid the milk scalding on the bottom of the pot. After 5 minutes, turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes longer before serving. Strain the tea upon serving.

Notes:
Use a saucepan if your tea pot doesn’t accommodate 8 cups of water.
For a more pronounced taste from the spices, use the highest suggested amount. For a subtle taste, the least suggested amount.
If you don’t have vanilla tea bags, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract at the end after you have turned off the stove.
For a less sweeter chai, do not use the entire can of condensed milk.
This also tastes really good chilled.

IMG_1627-blog-768x1024.jpg

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I make chai with cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, either cinnamon or fresh ginger, and sometimes a few dried chilli flakes, and yes quite a lot of sugar, and always in a pan, the tea needs to have very strong flavour to carry those spices.

Do you have any recipes for Russian tea? I tried so many times but couldn't get it right, eventually I decided it must be the water is wrong. Then I visited a Russian cafe in London and they made it perfect. I was sad and happy at the same time

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Russia is a huge country. What kind of tea you might mean? Mostly they drink black tea, some parts of the country also with lemon and raspberry jam.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Black tea like they would drink in St.Petersburg. With anyberry jam :)
I bought Georgian black tea even, from the Russian shop. I know it should be just add water, but it is never right. Or maybe the tea shouldn't be Georgian?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Br Hassan,

I know Russians in my city and can ask from them but have to know what kind of tea you really mean.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
It is just very normal black tea, like you would have at breakfast or if you visit someone's home.
I tried so many ways to make it taste right, and I didn't like to admit defeat.
Maybe it is too specific a request, maybe I should ask at the cafe, I'll pass there next week, in shaa Allah.

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

Never tried nutmeg in tea, that actually would be nice.

But... chilli flakes? Do people normally ever add that in?

Nureyni Amir

In my culture coffee is most popular and they usually drink it with salt and milk:mad:. However, if i were maybe to drink something hot i would prefer iced tea and Moroccan mint tea with or without sugar.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:
But... chilli flakes? Do people normally ever add that in?
Heh, I do not think it is normal, first time I tried it, it was somebody's accident, but I liked it. Just a few like 2-4 of them, not to spoil the rest of the flavours.

Coffee with salt, I couldn't understand when I saw people making coffee using seawater. I never tried it myself, but I would give it a go. I suspect I might still want sugar too, which really starts to sound too much.

fly on the wall

wa alaikum as salam wa rahmathullah!

I even don't like the smell of the tea don't know kinda hatred towards it lol.........

Salam sister,
Try some other recipe i would say.. I dont want you to hate tea..

Of course you can ask but that Kashmiri chae I have no idea what it is.

:(
Salam,
oh.. thats okay sister.. let me tell you the recipe :

INGREDIENTS :
• 6 tsp Green Tea Leaves
• 15-20 Seeds of green Cardamom plus
• 1-2 tsp. ground Cardamom
• 1-2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
• 1-2 liter Fresh Full Cream Milk
• 6 tsp. ground pistachio/Almonds
• 6 cups Water
Salt to taste
How To Cook :
• Pour water in a heavy based large pan. Add tea leaves, salt, seeds of green cardamom and bicarbonate of soda.
• Bring to boil reduce heat and simmer briskly for 4-5 minutes or until it reduces to 1/3 its quantity.
• While it is still boiling pour in it about 2-3 cups of cold water or enough water to make four cups in all.
• Bring to boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
• Remove from heat, strain and keep aside.
• Boil the milk with ground cardamom over low heat.
• Pour prepared tea water (Qahwa) in the milk.
• Bring to boil, add salt and simmer for 3-5 minutes over low heat.
• Remove from heat and pour into 6 cups.
• Pour 1 tablespoon of cream or malai. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of pistachio/almonds over it.
• Now it’s ready to serve.

It has to be pink in color and sweet in taste.. but i dont know for what reasons i dont get the required pink colour and taste is not upto the mark either.. One day In Sha Allah :)

I dont know how to reply either.. hehe.. i can see that i made a mistake.. i am new to internet and website.. il get used to the technology slowly.. hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
JazakAllah khairan

I have never used so much that it had those effects, but I thank you for the reminder Sister.

A.Abubaker

I add sugar to black tea.

High grade green tea like gyokuro, sencha dragon well when prepared properly is naturally sweet and aromatic, so there is no need to add sugar.