Sunnah and faradh

uba

i have a question people are dabating whether for a muslim lady when paying the days she missed in the holy month of ramadhan in the month of Shawal. does a person starts with the obligatory fast first or the sunna that is the sita.

what i understand is that first you fast the obligatory fast that one missed in the Holy month then fast the sunnah cause sitah is the whole month of Shawal.

Submitter

:salam2:

Firstly, welcome to the site sister :)

You may find the following link useful:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13128#post2954

"It is permitted to fast these six days separately throughout the month, or consecutively, after Eid al-Fitr.
[ibid.]"

Based on this, I would say it is more important to first make up the fasts you missed in Ramadhan, then offer the 6 sunnah fasts in Shawwal.

Allah knows best.

:wasalam:

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

:salam2: and welcome to the site...

Na'am....a sister must make up her obligatory fast first before she preceeds to go ahead with the Sunnah fasts.

Reason being, Ramadan is a month were fasting is preccribed for all.

Allah says' in the Glorious Qu'ran: "O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous-" 2:183

"[Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] - then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] - a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]. And whoever volunteers good [i.e., excess] - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew." 2:184

"The month of Ramadan [is that] in which was revealed the Qu'ran, a guidance for people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful." Qu'ran Surah 2-Al-Baqrah Verse 185.

Insha'Allah, surely a sister can keep her Sunnah fasts in Shawwal but its best to complete first the missed ones Insha'Allah, as they were obligatory...please note however, she just makes up the fasts and not the Salah....

And Allah knows best...

Ma'Salama.....

masihuddin

If you fated the whole month of Ramzan which is fardz and there after kept six nafil fasts either consecutive or sepetately in the month of Shawal then in the light of Ahadis you have kept fast for the whole year

shaakir

is it better to fast the six days consecutively or seperated?
also, can one fast on a Friday alone?
I have heard if you fast on a friday , you have to fast Sat and sunday as well.

alhamdulillah

is it better to fast the six days consecutively or seperated?
also, can one fast on a Friday alone?
I have heard if you fast on a friday , you have to fast Sat and sunday as well.

Bismillah,

:wasalam: you can fast either consecutively or separated...as long as the 6 days are within Shawwal...

na'am...if you wish to fast on a Friday then you must fast either a day before or a day after i.e.

Thursaday and Friday
or
Friday and Saturday.

i've not heard of the Sunday... Allah Knows best.

Sahih Al-Bukhari-Number 205:
Narrated Muhammad bin 'Abbas: I asked Jabir "Did the Prophet forbid fasting on Fridays?" He replied, "Yes." (Other narrators added, "If he intends to fast only that day.")

Sahih Al-Bukhari-Volume 3, Book 31, Number 206:
Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard the Prophet saying, "None of you should fast on Friday unless he fasts a day before or after it."

Sahih Al-Bukhari-Volume 3, Book 31, Number 207:
Narrated Abu Aiyub from Juwairiya bint Al-Harith: The Prophet visited her (Juwairiya) on a Friday and she was fasting. He asked her, "Did you fast yesterday?" She said, "No." He said, "Do you intend to fast tomorrow?" She said, "No." He said, "Then break your fast." Through another series of narrators, Abu Aiyub is reported to have said, "He ordered her and she broke her fast."

If Br mu2min/Br Mabsoot or somebody else can also clarify this issue or confirm the above, that'll be great Insha'Allah!

Ma'Salama...

p.s- Just for general knowledge, the recommended (mustahabb) fasts are:

1) the day of ‘Ashura (10th Muharram), combining it with a day before, or after it;
2) the 13th, 14th, and 15th of each lunar month;
3) Mondays and Thursdays;
4) the day of ‘Arafah (9th Dhul Hijjah);
5) and the first six days of Shawwal.

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalam alaikom,

It is best to find the statements of the renowned learned scholars of Islam to answer ones questions. Insha'allah I hope the following serves to shed some light on the question.

Question:
Please could you tell me whether it is allowed for us to perform voluntary fasts on Fridays?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It was proven in al-Saheehayn in the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he said: “I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘None of you should fast on a Friday unless he fasts the day before or the day after.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1849, Muslim, 1929). Muslim narrated in his Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Do not single out the night of Jumu’ah [i.e., Thursday night] from among other nights for praying qiyaam al-layl, and do not single out Friday from among other days for fasting, unless it is a fast that one of you regularly observes.” (al-Siyaam, 1930)

In al-Saheeh it was narrated from Juwayriyah bint al-Haarith (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon her on a Friday when she was fasting. He asked her, “Did you fast yesterday?” She said, “No.” He asked, “Are you going to fast tomorrow?” She said, “No.” He said, “Then break your fast.” Hammaad ibn al-Ja’d said, “I heard Qutaadah say, Abu Ayyoob told me that Juwayriyah spoke to him and he told her to stop her fast and she did so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Sawm, 1850).

Ibn Qudaamah said: “It is makrooh to single out the day of Friday for fasting, unless that coincides with a fast which one usually observes, such as a person who fasts alternate days, and a day that he fasts coincides with Friday, or a person who has the habit of fasting on the first or last day of the month, or the middle day of the month.” (al-Mughni, vol. 3, p. 53)

Al-Nawawi said: “Our companions (i.e. the Shaafa’is) said: it is makrooh to single out the day of Friday for fasting, but if one joins it with the day before or the day after, or it coincides with a day which he habitually fasts, or he vowed to fast the day that his sick loved one was cured, or the day So and so returns, and that day happens to be a Friday, then it is not makrooh (al-Majmoo’ Sharh al-Muhadhdhab, vol. 6, p. 479)

Shaykh al-Islam (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Sunnah says that it is makrooh to single out Rajab for fasting, and it is makrooh to single out Friday (for fasting).” (al-Fataawa al-Kubra, vol. 6, p. 180)

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: “As for Friday, it is not Sunnah to fast on this day, and it is makrooh to single it out for fasting.” (See al-Sharh al-Mumti’, vol. 6, p. 465)

Excluded from this prohibition is one who fasts the day before or after, or if it coincides with days that he habitually fasts, such as one who fasts al-Ayyaam al-Beed (the 13th, 14th and 15th of each hijri month), or who has the habit of fasting a specific day such as the Day of ‘Arafat, and it coincides with a Friday. From this it may be understood that it is permissible for a person who has vowed to fast on the day when So and so returns, for example, or the day when So and so recovers from sickness, to observe that fast if that day happens to be a Friday. (See Fath al-Baari by Ibn Hajar).

The same applies to one who has fasts to make up from Ramadaan. “It is permissible for a Muslim to fast on a Friday to make up a day from Ramadaan, even if he fasts the Friday on its own.” (Fatwa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, vol. 10, p. 347)

Similarly, if ‘Ashoora’ or Arafaat coincides with a Friday, he may fast, because his intention is to fast ‘Ashoora’ or ‘Arafaat, not to fast on a Friday. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid