Swines and Apes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazk

Banned
Which translation of the Quran into English would you recommend?

Dr. Muhsin Khan's translation is pretty good. it contains the arabic words for which there are no substitutes in the english language but then in the brackets it gives the english words that come closest to meaning.

the translation you're using is very very odd. from my vocabulary of arabic, its striking me as bizarre.

Rashadi

Not at all. It is clear that Mohammad did not believe that Jesus was the son of God. But it is also clear that when it comes to Jesus there are inconsistencies. For example, was Jesus crucified?

There are no inconsistencies in the Quran about the matter. The troubles comes from the Bible and from followers of Pauline theology. The Quran is clear in chapter 4:157-159, Jesus (as) was not crucified nor was he sent for this purpose but he was the Messiah who would bring his people back to the original and correct path. It was Pauline theology that Jesus was crucified for the sins of mankind and the inventors of this idea used the ambiguous verses in the Jewish Bible to make it seem like Jesus was really crucified. All you have to do is read the books written by Jewish rabbis, scholars and teachers who wrote a great deal about this and what they actually believe about those verses which are misquoted and misused for Jesus Christ(pbuh).

The Quran says the following:

"That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-" (157).

It is clear that it appeared so and they thought they (Romans and the disbelieving Jews) thought they crucified him. Paul came to the scene after Jesus was already gone and this entire idea is based on conjecture, misconception, and, as stated above, using Old Testament ambiguous verses. This idea was not accepted by the true followers of Jesus nor was this the only idea around. There were other beliefs and views that existed prior to Paul's idea. There was much persecution of the true followers of Jesus(Nasara or "people of the way") and much of their works were destroyed or systematically removed. Christianity is the idea of Paul and it was this view that was accepted by the later emperor Constantine who used this religion to unite his empire and made it the only acceptable faith eventually.

So the inconsistency is not in the Quran but in the New Testament. This idea of Jesus being "lamb of God" is not something revealed by God and this was not in the Injeel(Gospel of Jesus) but this is purely the teachings of Paul and his later supporters.

Peace be with you and may God guide us all to the straight path, Ameen.

sazk

Banned
alright i m out. time to hit the sack. by the time i wake up i assume the conversation would have moved on to a totally different subject so please don't respond to my posts now. i won't be able to answer them. all the recommended translations are correct, none are wrong but ofcourse in order to come closest to original meaning is a difficult task.

before you do put down the bible as the final word of god you should probably read Bart Ehrman's book: Misquoting Jesus. it gives a scholarly review of the collection of the bible. a point you ought to know is that the author is a distinguished professor at the university of north carolina, not just some layman from the street and after his exhaustive research into the bible, he has become agnostic because of what he found out about the bible.
g'nite all my brothers n sisters

salam alaikum

shichemlydia

peace....

salam alikoum
welcome to the website, hope you will find it good.
yes, the story you have talked about is correct and it happened with the jews, the story is in the quran, and started when allah swt told them do not fish on saturday and they used their intelligence to disobey allah, and allah swt punished them with that.
this is actually very easy to allah to turn anything to the shape he wants, he is verily able to do what he wills, he is the most powerfull, the most knowledgeable.....
hope this helps.
wa salam alikoum

Bluegazer

Hello followeroftheway,

Thank you for visiting this forum.

There are two points I'd like to address here:

1- We Muslims believe that the previous Holy Scriptures given to former prophets [such as Moses -peace be upon him-] were corrupted, and we do not believe that the Gospels contain a 100% accurate description of the life of Jesus Christ [peace be upon him]. Therefore, whenever anything in the Bible conflicts with a verse of the Qur'an or an authentic saying of prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him], then we believe that conflicting Biblical verse is a fabrication.

For your benefit [as a believing Christian] I will provide evidence [from Christian Bibles and other Christian sources] proving that corruption has occurred in the Bible.

For example, you have the famous Story of the Adulteress [John 7:53-8:11]. I will post the text of the story and then some commentaries. The text itself is from the Catholic New American Bible as well as footnote no. 17. The websites I referred to under them are official Vatican websites:

Then each went to his own house, while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. They said to him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She replied, "No one, sir." Then Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more."

Sources:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXF.HTM
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXG.HTM

17 [⇒ 7:53-⇒ 8:11] The story of the woman caught in adultery is a later insertion here, missing from all early Greek manuscripts. A Western text-type insertion, attested mainly in Old Latin translations, it is found in different places in different manuscripts: here, or after ⇒ John 7:36 or at the end of this gospel, or after ⇒ Luke 21:38, or at the end of that gospel. There are many non-Johannine features in the language, and there are also many doubtful readings within the passage. The style and motifs are similar to those of Luke, and it fits better with the general situation at the end of Luke 21:but it was probably inserted here because of the allusion to ⇒ Jeremiah 17:13 (cf the note on John ⇒ John 8:6) and the statement, "I do not judge anyone," in ⇒ John 8:15. The Catholic Church accepts this passage as canonical scripture.

Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PXF.HTM

Let's look at what other versions of the Bible had to say about the Story of the Adulteress [from the biblegateway.com website]:

((The earliest and most reliable manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.))

John 7:53-8:11 (New International Version)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=31;

a. John 7:53 Later mss add the story of the adulterous woman, numbering it as John 7:53-8:11

John 7:53-8:11 (New American Standard Bible)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=49;

a. John 7:53 John 7:53 to 8:11 is absent from most of the older manuscripts, and those that have it sometimes place it elsewhere. The story may well be authentic. Indeed, Christ's response of compassion and mercy is so much in keeping with His character that we accept it as authentic, and feel that to omit it would be most unfortunate.

John 7:53-8:11 (Amplified Bible)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=45;

[The most ancient Greek manuscripts do not include John 7:53–8:11.]

John 7:53-8:11 (New Living Translation)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=51;

[The earliest manuscripts do not include 7:53–8:11.]

John 7:53-8:11 (English Standard Version)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=47;

[The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:53-8:11.]

John 7:53-8:11 (Today's New International Version)

Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 7:53-8:11;&version=72;

So, this story was a later addition to the Gospel of John, and therefore a fabrication. And I'll admit that not all versions of the Bible mention this point. The King James Version [and others] are silent, and you can check them out in the biblegateway.com website.

I have already posted the above information in other posts in this forum, so I could have just typed a link and referred you to these posts. However, I feared that if you saw a link, you'd be tempted to ignore it. Therefore, I retyped the information here [with the links to original Christian sources].

My other posts on other instances of fabrication in the Bible are of the same type [i.e., I always prove my quotes from original Christian sources]. I hope that now you'll be more inclined to click on the links below and read them:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153172&postcount=126
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153173&postcount=127
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153174&postcount=128
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153175&postcount=129
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153176&postcount=130

2- In post #11 on page 2 of this thread, you wrote:

My point is, if this is what we believe, it will affect how we see others. Do we see people as swine and apes? If so it will affect how we interact with them. I am not a swine or an ape.

I have heard Muslims call Jews as sons of swines and apes, but I don't like that. I believe in what's in the Qur'an, but does that mean that modern Jews are descendants of those who were turned into apes? I don't believe it's the case, and therefore these terms shouldn't be used.

The following is a fatwa [religious opinion] of Shaykh Muhammad Saalih al-Munajjid. It's numbered 14085, and the topic is entitled "Are the monkeys and pigs that exist nowadays humans who have been transformed?". Please note the sections I set in bold type, like so:

The question was:

Could you please tell me about monkeys. Are they humans who were turned into monkeys for disobeying Allahs commandments? if so which people were they and what did they do?

And the answer was:

Praise be to Allaah.

Maskh (transformation) refers to the changing of a person’s exterior appearance. Allaah has told us in more than one place in the Qur’aan that He transformed some of the Children of Israel into monkeys as a punishment for their disobedience towards Allaah. Allaah says, addressing the Children of Israel (interpretation of the meaning):

“And indeed you knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e. Saturday). We said to them: ‘Be you monkeys, despised and rejected.’

So We made this punishment an example to their own and to succeeding generations and a lesson to those who are Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Baqarah 2:65-66]

And Allaah tells us their story in more detail in Soorat al-A’raaf, where He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And ask them (O Muhammad) about the town that was by the sea; when they transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e. Saturday): when their fish came to them openly on the Sabbath day, and did not come to them on the day they had no Sabbath. Thus We made a trial of them, for they used to rebel against Allaah’s Command (disobey Allaah)

And when a community among them said: ‘Why do you preach to a people whom Allaah is about to destroy or to punish with a severe torment?’ (The preachers) said: ‘In order to be free from guilt before your Lord (Allaah), and perhaps they may fear Allaah.’

So when they forgot the reminders that had been given to them, We rescued those who forbade evil, but with a severe torment We seized those who did wrong because they used to rebel against Allaah’s Command (disobey Allaah).

So when they exceeded the limits of what they were prohibited, We said to them: ‘Be you monkeys, despised and rejected’”

[al-A’raaf 7:163-166]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do you criticize us for no other reason than that we believe in Allaah, and in (the Revelation) which has been sent down to us and in that which has been sent down before (us), and that most of you are Faasiqoon [rebellious and disobedient (to Allaah)]?’

Say (O Muhammad to the people of the Scripture): ‘Shall I inform you of something worse than that, regarding the recompense from Allaah: those (Jews) who incurred the Curse of Allaah and His Wrath, and those of whom (some) He transformed into monkeys and swines, and those who worshipped Taaghoot (false deities); such are worse in rank (on the Day of Resurrection in the Hell-fire), and far more astray from the Right Path (in the life of this world)’”
[al-Maa’idah 5:59-60]

This transformation was a punishment from Allaah to them for their doing that which Allaah had forbidden to them. This punishment was not exclusively for the Children of Israel, rather the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that the Hour will not begin until such transformation happens among this ummah too. He issued this warning to those who disbelieve in the divine decree (al-qadr), and those who drink alcohol and listen to singing – we seek refuge with Allaah from that.

Ibn Maajah (4059) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Shortly before the Hour begins, people will be transformed into monkeys and pigs, swallowed up in the earth, and pelted with stones.” (Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 3280).

Being swallowed up in the earth means that the earth will split open and swallow up a person, house or city, just as Allaah caused the earth to swallow Qaaroon and his household. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“So We caused the earth to swallow him”

[al-Qasas 28:81]

Pelting with stones is the same as Allaah did to the people of Loot. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and rained down on them stones of baked clay”

[al-Hijr 15:74]

Al-Tirmidhi (2152) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Among this ummah those who disbelieve in the divine decree (al-qadr) will be wallowed up by the earth, transformed into monkeys and pigs or pelted with stones.” (Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1748).

And al-Tirmidhi (2212) narrated from ‘Imraan ibn Husayn that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among this ummah, people will be transformed into monkeys and pigs, swallowed up in the earth, and pelted with stones.” A man among the Muslims said, “O Messenger of Allaah, when will that be?” He said, “When singing-girls and musical instruments become widespread and wine is drunk.” (Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1802).

These ahaadeeth indicate that such transformations will happen in this ummah as a punishment for some sins. So let the Muslim beware of doing anything that Allaah has forbidden. Woe be to the one who provokes the anger, wrath and vengeance of Allaah. May Allaah keep us all safe from the things that incur His punishment.

But these monkeys and pigs that exist nowadays are not the people from the earlier nations who were transformed, because Allaah does not enable those who have been transformed to have offspring, rather He causes them to die after being transformed, so they have no offspring.

Muslim (2663) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: “A man said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, are the monkeys and pigs those who have been transformed?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah does not enable those who have been transformed to have offspring or children. The monkeys and pigs existed before that.’” al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Prophet’s words ‘The monkeys and pigs existed before that’ means that they existed before the Children of Israel were transformed, which indicates that they are not from among those who were transformed.”

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/14085

Furthermore, Allah the Almighty ordered us Muslims to call on the People of the Book/Scripture in the following way:

And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 29:46]

And Allah the Almighty has allowed Muslim men to marry chaste Jewish or Christian women:

This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. And [lawful in marriage are] chaste women from among the believers and chaste women from among those who were given the Scripture before you, when you have given them their due compensation, desiring chastity, not unlawful sexual intercourse or taking [secret] lovers. And whoever denies the faith - his work has become worthless, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers.

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 5:5]

So, do you believe a knowledgeable Muslim would think of Jews and/or Christians as apes and swine when he is allowed to marry a chaste Jewish or Christian woman?

And one last point. According to the Bible, Jesus [peace be upon him] said:

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Matthew 7:6 (King James Version)

The following commentary is on the above verse, taken from the Catholic New American Bible:

4 [6] Dogs and swine were Jewish terms of contempt for Gentiles. This saying may originally have derived from a Jewish Christian community opposed to preaching the gospel (what is holy, pearls) to Gentiles. In the light of ⇒ Matthew 28:19 that can hardly be Matthew's meaning. He may have taken the saying as applying to a Christian dealing with an obstinately impenitent fellow Christian (⇒ Matthew 18:17).

Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PVG.HTM

Do you [followeroftheway] consider us Muslims as dogs and swine, or are these terms reserved for an 'obstinately impenitent fellow Christian' as the commentary suggests?

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Again, it was not and is not my intention to offend anyone. I am since in seeking more info on this subject. Are their more explict references to this than is found in the Quran?

Adam was created from the dust and God breathed into him the breath of life. Jesus has a father, God. Transforming people into these animals literally would seem to contradict the orderly nature of God since man is made in the image of God.

My reason for this question had more to do with the context that I originally heard it in. In the context the person who said this seemed to think of the nation of Israel as swine and apes and was waiting for Alaah's deliverance for the Arabs.

My point is, if this is what we believe, it will affect how we see others. Do we see people as swine and apes? If so it will affect how we interact with them. I am not a swine or an ape.

Peace

That's fine, I wasn't sure if you meant the issue was comical or what you heard on the radio. Thanks for clarifying.

shichemlydia

help

salam alikoum,
when refering to quranic verses, you should bear in mind that the translation to english is not sufficient, you should refer to the explanation of the quran (tafssir), for example the word VERSE in english is the equivalent of AYAT in arabic, but ayat in arabic does not always mean verse, it may mean a sign , a revelation or other things...
the quran is only one book, the one that prophet mohamed recited 1400 years ago, it is not adequat to say I PREFER this version of the bible or that one, it is not about preferences it is about authenticity and origins, the book that was written in 2000 surely is not from got whether you like the ideas or not. we muslims believe in the bible that was with jesus, the original one.
tell us what do you think about the prophet mohamed pbuoh. because someone who believes in one god is 50% a muslim, but still missing the second part .....
wa salam alikoum

BigAk

tell us what do you think about the prophet mohamed pbuoh. because someone who believes in one god is 50% a muslim, but still missing the second part .....
wa salam alikoum

Don't be fooled... All Christians say they believe in only one god.. Then when you really talk to them, it turns out they still believe in three gods but they view them as one god.. It is part of the mysterious mystery of the trinity which no one can explain. Somehow they justify it in their heads but no one can truly comprehend it. They have god, god, and god... they are not three gods but one god.. not even that... one of these gods died on the cross... god dies???

Astagfiru Allah Al Aliu Al Azeem.

BigAk

Correction: Jesus could read and write. It was very common for Jews of the first century to read and write. In the gospels accounts are give of him reading from the scrolls.

Correction:
"The most influential study of literacy in ancient times, by Columbia University professor William Harris, indicates that at the very best of the times and places -- for example , Athens at the height of the classical period in the fifth century B.C.E -- literacy rates were rarely higher than 10-15 percent of the population. To reverse the numbers, this means that under the best conditions, 85-90 percent of the population could not read or write. In the first century, throughout the Roman Empire, the literacy rate may well have been lower" (Dr. Bart Ehrman. Misquoting Jesus P:37-38)

As far as your inquiries about the when and how the bible has been changed and corrupted, we have been (until we're blue in the face as the americans say LOL) repeatedly urging you to obtain a copy of Dr. Ehrman's book; Misquoting Jesus. Dr. Ehrman in his book shows you many things that are documented in actual history.

BigAk

followeroftheway

One thing you need to know is that in Islam; and according to the Quran and Hadith, we believe that Jesus the son of Mary did not die on the cross. He did not die at all as a matter of fact. Jesus (pbu) will have a second coming closer to the day of judgment; when he would come back then. He will afterwards die a normal death. During this time, Jesus will confront those Christians who believe wrongly about him. Many of the Christians at that time will believe in him as a messenger of Allah before his demise finally.

So, now if you review the verses you quoted in the Quran about Jesus which you call contradictory, you'll notice that they are consistent with the fact above I mentioned about his second coming.

hana*

assalaku alaikum brothers and sisters, mashaAllah im very impressed with the replies i have read, Allah reward you all abundantly. i notice that bigak and sakz post replies at 5 am mashaAllah!

the question i pose to followeroftheway is how can you believe in a book that is filled with clear-cut errors and contradicitions? how can you then claim that this is the word of God? also where in the bible does jesus say i am God, so worship me? jesus was seen to be praying, as stated in the bible, where he put his forehead down on the ground (like the muslims do). if he was god, who is he worshipping? also i want to know who witnessed jesus 'being crucified' as all his disciples fled the scene.

Allah challenged man to produce a verse similar to that of the quran and to this day nobody has fulfilled the challenge. Allah also challenged man to find an error in the Quran and once again, no single person has found an error or contradicition. additionally, as we all know, the Quran contains accurate statements which modern scientists have only recently in the past few decades discovered. many scientists give testimony to the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE for man to have known such statements 1400 years ago and that these statements must be from a devine source. if you research on the embryologist keith moore, and many others, you will see how convinved these intellectuals were of islam, leading many to be guided to the truth.

ProudToBeaMuslim

Peace be upon you, Followeroftheway.

Mashallah, I have to say, from what I observed from your replies, you are very patient and sincere in your questions. And my dear brothers and sisters, may Allah bless you for your efforts, but please be more patient.

There are many brothers and sisters here who are willing to help and clarify your questions, please keep asking :)

I didn't get a clear picture of what you exactly want to know, so let me ask certain questions

What do you know about Islam? What do you think about that which you know? Which part of it dont you agree with?

I will try to help you to the best of my abilities Inshalllah...
Looking forward to your reply :)

Salaamalikum.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

I have read the bible cover to cover many times. And I am currently reading it cover to cover. I will read more of the Quran, in English, but I do have a problem. I cannot read Arabic and I do know that the translations are not equal to reading in the original language. It is the reason I prefer to read the bible in the original language.
Peace

REVEREND i welcome,
because quran says that nearest in faith to you will you find the christians who cry for fear and love of Allah.

if u r wondering about Allah,
He is the same jesus cried to on the cross ellah ellah why have you forsaken me,

econdly i dont doubt your intentions over here unless you do something that shows otherwise ,Allah knows best.

lastly we cannot and will not tolerate jesus to be called as the begotten son of god.
is it not strange that christianity denies to u the comfort and human longing for intimacy and fatherhood ......................................and yet ascribes the same to Almighty God .

terrible is the idea and also the fate of those who carry it.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

I answered esle where that I prefer the Koine Greek for the New Testament. I have a Hebrew of the Old Testament, but I prefer a New King James, although I do have several versions.
Peace

several versions of the WORD OF GOD.
dont you feel like laughing................
dont you feel like crying..................
dont you realize u cant have another version unless the first is --improvred added substracted -or simply tampered with.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

I answered esle where that I prefer the Koine Greek for the New Testament. I have a Hebrew of the Old Testament, but I prefer a New King James, although I do have several versions.
Peace

sir may i know what is ur opinion on the accuracy of bible.

wht is ur opinion on the quran.

all it would take is a link to dr zakir naik or mr ahmed deedats book or lectures to take strip the bible fantasies.

i leave it to a brother to do it.or interested people can search on you tube.

why dont you marry.can u answer this question.
since we hv a dialogue suppose someone wants to know about christianity u see we have many christian people non muslim people viewing this.
CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE CONCEPT OF TRINITY.

BigAk

Brother SIDDIQUI..... I get the feeling that followeroftheway has left the building about a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.