Swiss Right Campaigns Against Minarets

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
There are currently only two mosques with minarets in Switzerland.

ZURICH — The far-right in the Western European country of Switzerland is spearheading a campaign for a legal ban against building minarets, towers attached to mosques, despite opposition from government officials and the Muslim minority.
"We have no doubt that we'll reach the goal," Ulrich Schlueer, a Swiss National Party MP for Zurich and the main champion of the campaign, told Reuters.

The campaign, co-sponsored by the Federal Democratic Union, seeks to collect 100,000 signatures by November 2008 to force the government to put the issue for a referendum.

If approved by a majority vote, the initiative would then be written into law.

"We've now been collecting for a week and we've already got 10,000 signatures," Schlueer said.

The campaigners are basing their drive on article 72 of the Swiss constitution entitling the authorities to take necessary measures to maintain the peace among different religious communities.

The right-wing Swiss People's Party, which campaigns to protect Christian values and Swiss traditions from strange cultures, claimed that minarets are a symbol of power and threaten law and order in Switzerland.

There are currently only two minarets in Switzerland, in both Zurich and Geneva.

The Muslim call to prayer is not raised from these minarets.

Last November, the Administrative Court in the canton of Solothurn upheld a project to build a mosque with a minaret in the northern town of Wangen.

It ruled that plans to add a six-meter minaret to a prayer center respected existing and relevant laws.

"The liberty to practice a religion is guaranteed in Switzerland,"Calmy-Rey insisted.

The campaign drew reprimands from both Swiss officials and Muslims.

Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey, a Social Democrat, rebuked the ban proposal, saying it would have a negative impact on the country's stability.

"Such an initiative endangers Swiss interests and the security of Swiss people," she said.

The top diplomat, who is this year's Swiss president, also underlined that the ban would contradict the country's constitution which enshrines religious freedoms.

"The liberty to practice a religion is guaranteed in Switzerland."

Defense Minister Samuel Schmid, a member of the Swiss People's Party, said the campaign was "going down the wrong road."

"We would not solve any problems with such a move," he told the SonntagsZeitung newspaper.

The Muslim minority, estimated at nearly 340,000, was stunned by the Islamophobic move.

"As an organization that is helping Muslims to integrate and become model citizens, we are shocked by this initiative," Adel Méjri, president of the League of Swiss Muslims, told swissinfo.

Islam is the second religion in the country after Christianity.

source: islamonline.net

abou haytam

Surah/Chapter 009 - At-Taubah. Verse 32.
Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah disdaineth (aught) save that He shall perfect HIS LIGHT, however much the disbelievers are averse.

Surah/Chapter 061 - As-Saff. Verse 8.
Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect HIS LIGHT however much the disbelievers are averse.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I will say it. Allah forgive me. These people wonder why they can't have children and we Muslims just have to look at each other and pop...another Muslim..
Switzerland needed the immigrant population. Now, deal with it.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
:salam2:

Show me only one Arab or Muslim country, which they call "radical" and "extremist" and "undemocratic", that has such aggresive and sick attitude towards Churches. I've seen myself too many churches in Arab countries built near mosques and no one ever thought of offending the church in such manner.

Sick people.

who cares!

allah will not show them if they dont let to build minarets or will also not show them the right path if they let to build minarets.

allah will only show them the right path if they want.
and minarets doesn´t matter for islam.(according to my weak knowledge)

allahu aalim

kayleigh

Maybe I just skipped over it, but what is their objection to the minarets if they don't do the call for prayer from them? I could understand if they did have the call to prayer since that could be considered disturbing the peace and would be very annoying if you lived nearby, weren't Muslim, and worked the night shift!

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

Maybe I just skipped over it, but what is their objection to the minarets if they don't do the call for prayer from them? I could understand if they did have the call to prayer since that could be considered disturbing the peace and would be very annoying if you lived nearby, weren't Muslim, and worked the night shift!
This is their reason for doing so
The right-wing Swiss People's Party, which campaigns to protect Christian values and Swiss traditions from strange cultures, claimed that minarets are a symbol of power and threaten law and order in Switzerland.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam sister,

I read an article on www.islamonline.net. In summary, the objections stem from a conservative right wing party. They feel the minarets are in effect contary to the culture of the Swiss. They want to protect their culture.

The call to worship Allah can never be disturbing. It is the call of Ultimate Peace. It is disturbing only in the sense to those who deny the existence of the Almighty. It stirs up their souls.