Tahajud

wantobeMumin

Asalamu alykum

Brothers and sisters, i am a new member from new York and i love this place, kina Addicted to this site (i guess that wud be not halal thing to be addicted to something :)

i have been toing with the idea of staying longer time in tahajud, see all i can recite is shorter surahs. i was thinking maybe i can make use of technology like download longer surahs on ipod and use them while i am offering tahajud. Again its just a thing i am not sure if i shud do. i am not seeking fatwas but considering the presence of proper minded muslims here its more like an Ijtihad.isnt it? whats ur stance on that?

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Asalamu alykum

i have been toing with the idea of staying longer time in tahajud, see all i can recite is shorter surahs. i was thinking maybe i can make use of technology like download longer surahs on ipod and use them while i am offering tahajud. Again its just a thing i am not sure if i shud do. i am not seeking fatwas but considering the presence of proper minded muslims here its more like an Ijtihad.isnt it? whats ur stance on that?

i have a question, can you listen to your mp3 or ipOd (qur'an of course) while praying and reading the translation from the Qur'an??
I hope you understood me, otherwise say so, i'll re-phrase it inshallah

:wasalam:

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
i have a question, can you listen to your mp3 or ipOd (qur'an of course) while praying and reading the translation from the Qur'an??

:salam2:

When you`re listening to your MP3 or ipod, you do not move your tongue.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Is it obligatory to move the tongue when reciting Qur’aan in prayer or is it sufficient to say it in one's heart?

He replied:

Recitation must be done with the tongue. If a person recites it in his heart when he is praying, that is not sufficient. The same applies to all other adhkaar; it is not sufficient to recite them in one's heart, rather it is essential to move one's tongue and lips, because they are words to be spoken, and that can only be achieved by moving the tongue and the lips. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 13/156

Regarding reading a translation during prayer, I wasn`t able to find a fatwa, but I will ask. If you really want to comprehend what you`re reading during your prayer, read the translation of the surah`s you are going to read BEFORE praying.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

I think using a Ipod or MP3 player is pointless. I say that because it feels better when you put the effort in to memorize Surahs and when reciting the Surahs in your Salah it feels great. Alhamdulilah.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
i am not seeking fatwas but considering the presence of proper minded muslims here its more like an Ijtihad.isnt it? whats ur stance on that?

:salam2: Brother,

Jazak Allahu khayran for your trust in your Brothers and Sisters on this site, but your question is definitely a request for a fatwa. Ijtihad is only by people who are qualified with sound Islamic knowledge. We should not encourage people to give their opinions or guesses on such matters (esp. prayer).

Asalamu Alykum,

I think using a Ipod or MP3 player is pointless. I say that because it feels better when you put the effort in to memorize Surahs and when reciting the Surahs in your Salah it feels great. Alhamdulilah.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

I totally agree. I didn`t find any specific fatwas on MP3s or ipods, but read this:

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (15/213): can a Muslim – especially women – pray following a prayer that is being transmitted via TV or radio without seeing the imam?

He replied:

It is not permissible for anyone to follow the imam via radio or TV, because prayer in congregation means being together in the same place, so it has to be in one place and the rows should be connected to one another (i.e. immediately behind one another). It is not permissible to pray via radio or TV because they do not meet these criteria. If we were to allow that, anyone could pray all five prayers in his house, and Jumu’ah too. This goes against the wisdom behind the prescription of Jumu’ah prayer and prayer in congregation. Based on this, it is not permissible for women or anyone else to pray following the radio or TV. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

The Standing Committee (9/218) was asked:

Is it permissible for women to pray Jumu’ah prayer in their houses, and all the other prayers, following the loudspeakers in the village? Is it permissible for a sick person who cannot pray in the mosque to follow the imam from his house through the loudspeaker?

They replied:

It is not permissible for men or women, weak or strong, to pray in their houses, individually or in groups, following the prayer of the imam in the mosque via the loudspeakers, whether that is an obligatory prayer or supererogatory (naafil), Jumu’ah or any other prayer, whether their houses are behind the imam or in front of him, because the obligatory prayers must be offered in congregation in the mosque by men who are strong and in good health, but women and men who are weak and in poor health are excused from that duty.

The Standing Committee was also asked about a woman praying in her house, following the radio or TV, if she can hear the recitation and takbeer, if that is an obligatory or naafil prayer.

They replied: She is not permitted to do that, regardless of whether it is an obligatory prayer or a naafil one, even if she can hear the recitation and takbeer of the imam.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Ifta’, no. 6744.

Islam Q&A

Again the answer is found above. Regarding reading the translation, again I wasn`t able to find a specific fatwa in that issue,but read this:

Question: What is the ruling on the one who wishes to hold a mushaf whilst praying behind an imam during the tarâwîh prayer, so that he can better understand and follow along with what is being recited?

Answered by Sheikh Muhammad b. Sâlih al-`Uthaymîn

A worshipper can hold the Qur’ân to follow the reading of the imam in prayer if there is a need for it. This would be because the imam has a weak memory and has to delegate one of the worshippers to follow along with his reading in case he makes some mistake.

Otherwise, I do not think that a worshipper in prayer should follow the imam’s recitation by reading from the Qur’ân. This is because, by doing so, he has to leave out certain desirable practices in his prayer and engage in other things that are undesirable. For instance:

1. Holding the Qur’ân in prayer prevents the worshiper from placing his right hand over his left while standing, though this is a Sunnah act of prayer.

2. It prevents him from looking at the place of prostration while he is standing in prayer, which is also a Sunnah act.

3. It forces the worshipper to make many extraneous and unnecessary movements, such as opening and closing the Qur’ân and putting it somewhere, like under his arm, when he bows, prostrates, and the like.

Scholars say that any movement in prayer that is unnecessary is something disliked, since it detracts from the worshipper’s humility and concentration.

Some scholars have even said that the unnecessary movements of the eyes are enough to invalidate the person’s prayer. The eyes have to follow along with the recitation, moving from right to left and from line of text to line of text. Due to the amount of words he will have to read, this adds up to a lot of unnecessary movement, enough to invalidate the prayer.

Therefore, my advice to my fellow Muslims is to avoid this practice, and instead, concentrate on improving their concentration and their humility in prayer.

I hope you got the message.