Tatoo

allmuslimsrequal

Salaam alikoum brothers and sisters.

I have a question I feel shy to ask, but I must ask it.

But first- let me explain my situation...

I became Muslim 3 years ago. I know that the Prophet (pbuh) said that converting to Islam erases all previous sins.

When I was 15 my friend and I got on a bus and went to Montreal Canada.
We wanted to get tatoos, and knew that you didnt need to have the permission of a parent or be 18 to get one in Montreal (like the laws in the US). So we paid 50 dollars a piece and got matching tatoos.

Now: I am Muslim and I hate this tatoo. it is a constant reminder to me of how I used to live my life. And I am ashamed of it.

It is on my collar bone- near my shoulder.
Would it be haram to have it removed?
It is a painful process, but if it is considered halal- I want to get it done right away.
I hope someone can help me. Thankyou so much.
:girl3:

:wasalam:

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
I feel its better to get it removed brother.Insha Allah check how you can get it done without much of pain.
May Allah bless us all and give us hidayah to be in the path of Righteousness always...

BintMuhammad

Staff member
She has a tattoo from before she was Muslim

Hope this helps....

Question:
When I was kafir I got a tattoo on my shoulder.Alhumdillah I am now Muslim, My husband is fine about it Alhumdillah, however we would like it removed. To have it removed by laser is expensive and I believe it requires burning of the skin and I do not want to rule out for myself being of thoes who will enter Jena without account. Inshallah
I have repented, is there anymore I really need to do?
Jazak Allah Khair.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Praise be to Allaah Who has guided you to His Straight Path. I ask Allaah to make you steadfast in following it. As for this tattoo which cannot be removed except through this kind of surgery, you do not have to do this, because it is too difficult and will cause pain and hurt. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“… and [Allaah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship…” [al-Hajj 22:78]. Your regret and dislike of that, and your determination never to do it again is sufficient. Also, Islam wipes out what came before, so in this case leaving it as it is should not cause you any harm, in sha Allaah. May Allaah help you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Marwa17

It is not haram sister....I pray for you that the surgery goes well inshallah, if you decide to do it...Allah is with you...Pray for him to help you in making the right decision inshallah.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

May Allah (SWT) grant you patience and growth in Islam (Ameen).

I am surprised at your statement, "It is a painful process"…are you also aware of the fact that it “is a long and potentially dangerous process”? Pain is actually not that great (from what I have heard) it’s more like a stinging sensation…

I am assuming that you have consulted a surgeon about Laser treatment and are aware of the intricacies of the procedure.

Most tattoos are deep into the skin and will require many treatments (10-12) and needs to be carried out by a good cosmetic surgeon to ensure that no damage is done to the surrounding tissue and there may be permanent discoloration of skin and pigmentation around the tattoo. In the future it may result in formation of cysts.

Professional tattoos are hard to remove and require many treatments…

I believe that to the best of knowledge it will NOT be Haram; by the same token it is NOT REQUIRED in Islam for you to get it removed…you do have a choice on the matter…

I am certain you have considered all the medical facts about the laser surgery (cost, time, pain, long-term affects like discoloration, formation of cysts etc…); Insha’Allah we will pray that whatever decision you make is the most suitable for you.

Marwa17

From what globalpeace has said, that just scared me...if I were you I wouldn't do it...unless if it really bothers you...but allah does not judge us for the sins we made before we learned of him...take everything into account before choosing what to do and ask allah to help you in making the best decision....Allah knows what is best...

allmuslimsrequal

Thankyou Global Peace. I did not take into account the formation of cysts and you are absolutely right- It will take 8-10 treatments I just found out yesterday. I am just ashamed of it. I dont think good muslim women should have them. Allah forgive me. It can be hard converting to Islam- ALlah is so merciful on us, even more than we are on ourselves.
I would go through any amount of pain to remove it.
My husband asked me "Why remove it when Allah (swt) has already forgiven you for it when you came to Islam"
And I think that I just see it as a sign of someone who cares nothing for what Allah demands of our bodies- and it will be there even when I am put into the ground.
Thank you all for your comments.
Peace be with you all.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Sorry Sisters; didn’t mean to scare you…

Just in case all are wondering about my background and source of information. I was a Medic in the Military and worked at Plastic Surgery clinic during my training where my job was to get the patients to sign the paper-work, talk to them and answer questions etc before the Nurse and the Surgeon had another briefing and I was often present at all of these briefings.

You will find that Plastic (Cosmetic, Reconstructive) surgery is a private affair in the West (not covered by most medical Insurances) so a lot of these surgeons are biased & are selling a product to a customer; unfortunately. There are steps being taken at least in Britain to bring tighter controls to this area of medical science.

Off course I haven’t done this for years so Brothers/Sisters with recent medical background may be able to provide more relevant information but from some reading of the Net...the procedure hasn't changed much.

I fully understand your reasons and commend your intention; Masha'Allah.