Te quran says the world is flat, so why does it look round as science people say?????

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
there are many many verses in Quran that says that the shape of the Earth is flat, so why does it look round? i mean why do science people and all that refer to the world as its round shape / global world

Verse 50:7
"والارض مددناها والقينا فيها رواسي وانبتنا فيها من كل زوج بهيج "
Translation: And the earth- We have spread it out, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and produced therein every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs)

Verse 51:48 والارض فرشناها فنعم الماهدون
Translation: And We have spread out the (spacious) earth: How excellently We do spread out!

Verse 71:19 والله جعل لكم الارض بساطا
Translation: And Allah has made the earth for you as a carpet (spread out),

Verse 88:20 والى الارض كيف سطحت
And at the Earth, how it is spread out?

Verse 2:22 الذي جعل لكم الارض فراشا والسماء بناء وانزل من السماء ماء فاخرج به من الثمرات رزقا لكم فلا تجعلوا لله اندادا وانتم تعلمون
Translation: Who has made the earth your couch, and the heavens your canopy; and sent down rain from the heavens; and brought forth therewith Fruits for your sustenance; then set not up rivals unto Allah when ye know (the truth).

Verse 79:30
والارض بعد ذلك دحاها

my sharia teacher explained it once to me but i didnt understand it still and told him yes i do understand coz i felt stupid.

my father once told me that the earth is spread and there is no such thing that its round those who say that are lying and making it up

please explain as if your explaining it to a child because i really am slow.

arzafar

let me attempt to explain

1) the quran doesnt say the earth is flat

2) the earth is not flat

3) It is impossible to describe the shape of the earth. It is not a sphere, it is from a the family of spheroid/ellipsoid so they invented a new word for it geo-spherical.

4) it is possible to get a very good approximation for the shape of the earth using advances mathematical equations in both, Cartesian and polar coordinate systems. However, the vast majority of people do not know them nor can they comprehend them.

5) The Quran does not refer to the shape of the earth for that would require advanced mathematics and then the relevant equations must be derived to arrive at the shape of the earth. Even after that, vast majority of people wont understand it.

6) The Quran uses simple and precise language to describe the earth and indirectly it shape. It says that the earth "is spread out (like a carpet)". This is statement doesnt mean that the earth is flat. even smoke/smell/fragrance spreads out, does that mean it's flat? things can spread out in 3D like sound, light from a point source etc.

7) spread out basically means that the earth has no end or no edge that you will fall over into space i.e. at all points on the surface of the earth, it is spread out in every direction you look. you can travel across the surface of the earth forever in any direction you want, but you will never hit an edge or wall to stop you from going further. The surface of the earth will always be spread out in all directions at any location on the earth whether you are on mount Everest or inside marina's trench. This indicate that the earth is rounded. any other shape in 3d would have an edge; like you would see the ground disappear and there would be space below.

8) even the surface of a sphere is spread out in all directions. However, earth is NOT a sphere; calling it a sphere would be wrong and that is why Quran doesn't use that term.

9) finally, taking the Quraan literally (unless other wise stated) and objectively helps a lot. If it says that the earth is spread out just say that and dont seek far fetched interpretations. i know some people translate the relevant word as egg or something spherical but i dont buy that.

10) i still dont understand how spread out implies flat. Spread out means spread out. This is perhaps the most precise way of describing the shape of the earth without getting math involved. If Allah wanted to say flat He would have said just that (not carpet or spread out) and in that case the earth would have been flat!

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
Yes Quran says that ALLAH AZZAWAJAL has spread the earth..

BUT THE TERM SPREAD DOES NEVER BECOME EQUAL TO THE WORD FLAT...

it does mean, that the surface is spread...

let me straightly copy a page from Dr. Zakir Naik's book...
"THE QURAN AND MODERN SCIENCE COMPATIBLE OR INCOMPATIBLE ?"

SHAPE OF THE EARTH IS SPHERICAL

In early times, people believed that the earth was flat. For centuries, men were afraid to venture out too far, for fear of falling off the edge! Sir Francis Drake was the first person who proved that the earth is spherical when he sailed around it in 1597.Consider the following Qur’anic verse regarding the
alternation of day and night:

“Seest thou not that Allahmerges Night into Day and He merges Day into Night?” [Al-Qur’an 31:29]

Merging here means that the night slowly and gradually changes to day and vice versa. This phenomenon can only take place if the earth is spherical. If the earth was flat, there would have been a sudden change from night to day and from day to night.

The following verse also alludes to the spherical shape of the earth:
“He created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): He makes the Night overlap the Day and the Day overlap the Night.”[Al-Qur’an 39:5]

The Arabic word used here isK a w w a r a meaning ‘to overlap’ or ‘to coil’– the way a turban is wound around the head. The overlapping or coiling of the day and night can only take place if the earth is spherical.

The earth is not exactly round like a ball, but geo-spherical, i.e. it is flattened at the poles. The following verse contains a description of the earth’s shape:

“And the earth, moreover,hath He made egg shaped.”
[Al-Qur’an 79:30]

The Arabic word for egg here isd a h a a h a a1 which means an ostrich-egg. The shape of an ostrich-egg resembles the geo-spherical shape of the earth.

Thus the Qur’an correctly describes the shape of the earth, though the prevalent notion when the Qur’an was revealed was that the earth was flat.

You can find the book over here..:)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10030165/Quran-and-Modern-Science-by-Dr-Zakir-Naik-Book

Hope that benefited..

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Lol. Please don't go round saying the Earth is flat in public, and worse, attributing it to the Qur'aan. Please do not do this.

Wa-alaykum assalam

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam!
spread mean flat?
I thought it meant large/wide. Hope this answered your question

Ask more if you need help

islamdonlyway

walikumsalam,

brother the quran doesnt say the earth is flat rather the bible says it !, and scientifically we know that the earth is geo-spherical, and allah mentions it that the earth is like the egg of a ostrich, and the egg of an ostrich is spherical.

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
walikumsalam,

brother the quran doesnt say the earth is flat rather the bible says it !, and scientifically we know that the earth is geo-spherical, and allah mentions it that the earth is like the egg of a ostrich, and the egg of an ostrich is spherical.

Mashallah! Allah is great.

Thank you for sharing this

WithAllahsPowers

WE ARE PROTECTED
salam to all.

i posted this thread a few days ago, i've looking for it and the answers for days and never found the thread. probably didnt notice it.

i found it now. and im glad to read all the posts from everyone and thank you all for your great knowledge and posts.

i know i said 'there are many many verses in Quran that says that the shape of the Earth is flat, so why does it look round? i mean why do science people and all that refer to the world as its round shape / global world

i honestly used the word flat because i assumed it was similar to spread and spread was not in my head at the time i was typing. so that was my error and i dont go around saying the world is flat lool, i only said this as i was typing and didnt know the right word to use so thats my appology.

i havent viewed the video yet but that my priority tomorrow morning inshallah because its late now.

when brother amen1 said 'The misunderstanding many people fall into is when they do not realize how large the globe of the earth is. If you try to walk on a beach ball, you will make one step before the ball rolls and realize that you're walking on a sphere. But when you walk on the earth, you can walk for miles and you still have covered only a tiny distance, so you never feel that you are walking on a sphere.'

this is exactly exactly what im trying to understand. why is it we can fall off a beach ball when walking on it and yet we dont on the earth and the earth is round but spread?

i use to think loooool, when i was young, loool, do people live upside down and thats how Allah created them. looool but till now i do not get it. subhan allah its not clicking in my head.

i read everyones post, everyones post, i didnt leave anything out but im so slow and still dont understand just why its round and yet the earth is spread as in we can walk and not fall off. thats really my question.

sorry about using the word flat, it was not necessary to use but at the time i did not know the right word and flat was in my head so i typed it in. i do have speech problems so im so sorry. i always cause these misunderstanding.