The challenge of fasting over 18 hours in Sweden

noor aldeen

Stockholm Mosque

Sweden's long summer days are presenting a challenge to Muslims fasting for Ramadan. Religious leaders say the long hours of daylight are not a good excuse to skip the fast.

Things are set to get even more challenging in 2015, when the fast will fall in June.

During the month-long fast, Muslims refrain from eating, drinking and sex between daybreak and sunset. While this is a challenge for people everywhere, in Sweden it presents particular challenges.

In northern Sweden, where dawn on Wednesday broke at 2:46 am, Muslims are expected to fast for over 18 hours, compared to only 13 hours in Mecca, for instance.

Mikael Sundin, a board member of the Association of Muslims in Umea, said living so far north presented certain challenges:

"It's even more extreme here that it is in Stockholm. But most Muslims up here are following the official times. I'm going to follow the times and see how it goes," he told The Local.

In many Muslim countries, the fast is often broken in the evening with long and elaborate meals. But with some Swedish Muslims experiencing only a few hours of darkness, this becomes harder to do.

Imam Mahmoud Khalfi at Stockholm Mosque told The Local that the principles of fasting at Ramadan were clear:

"There is still day and night, so Muslims should follow the rule that you fast during the hours of daylight."

Ads by Google:
Advertisements not controlled by IslamiCity

He pointed out that Sweden's Muslims had to take the rough with the smooth:

"Sometimes Ramadan falls in the winter, and then the hours of daylight are very short."

Indeed, in 2005, the month of fasting stretched from October to November, when daylight hours are short. But in coming years the fast will be even longer than this year - in 2015, it begins on 18th June, when many parts of Sweden don't get dark at all.

In those circumstances, says Mahmoud Khalfi, Muslims are allowed to follow the patterns of nearest city in which it gets dark.

"There are also those who say you should follow the patterns of Mecca," he said, and pointed out that there were different schools of thought within Islam on exactly how the fast should be observed.

The young, the sick and the elderly are absolved of the duty to fast, Khalfi points out.

While insisting on the strict observance of the rules might sound a bit tough on Swedish Muslims, Mahmoud Khalfi points out that the fast can be tough for people in Muslim countries too:

"In very warm countries, such as those in the Sahara, it isn't easy, but people fast the whole day anyway," he said, adding that there were advantages other than the knowledge that people were observing their religious duties:

"It strengthens your will and strengthens your patience. You learn to control your inner desire. It also teaches solidarity with the poor - those who have nothing to eat," he said.

James Savage

arzafar

18 hour fasts must be so tough. I admire the muslims who in sweden, denmark, Netherlands and norway.

mabera

Assalaamu alaikum

Allah is great! Allah is great!! Allah is Great!!!
Really is challenging But more challenge better reward. May Almighty Allah reward all of us.
Here in Nigeria is less than 14hrs with 25mins

fatima1994

ƒ3!RY $p!r!T
:salam2:

15 hours in Pakistan.....3 more Subhannallah. May Allah(swt) accept there fasts and reward them :)

:tti_sister:

dunno

im doing ramadan for the first time outside my country saudi arabia
doing it in paris for the purpose of studying it's really different
here ti's about 16-17 hours i dont mind it
it's not tough at all alhamduallah allah makes it easy the things i miss isnt short fasting in saudi it's family and friends :)
so if people in sweden have that then ramadan will inshallah be easy :)

salahdin

. It may be tough for those who live in this part of the whole but remember that ALLAH AZA WAJALLAH is Ar-Rahman Ar-Rahim - the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Ar-Rahim is exclusively for the believers.'' In which sense? In the sense that, come winter time ALLAH AZA WAJALLAH has compensated For the believers by making the night time longer and the day time shorter and that is the opposite in the summer time ,night time shorter and day time longer.
For instance when you fast say the month of december you will the morning prayer is around 6.50 (06.50) in the morning that means you can eat your suhur around 6 in the morning and when is maghrib its around 3.30 in the evening (15.30) and thats iftar, when one can break hisor her fast . That around 8 hours of fasting and its gets better if you live up north . So why complain of the long hours in the summer time and yet forget the shorter time in the winter time SUBHANALLAH that is the bounty of ALLAH AZA WAJAH . Only a true believer can reflect this without complaining .THATS THE TRUE JUSTICE FROM THE KNOWER OF THE VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE to his
ALAMIN. So dont take a vacation when june comes Instead , we stay and perform our duty and be grateful .

Al-Adiyat

Al-Adiyat

Lo! man is an ingrate unto his Lord (6) And lo! he is a witness unto that; (7) 100:6-7

Miss Aaliyah

Assalamo alaykom,

Fasting in Sweden isn't very tough. Last year, my first Ramadan, was tougher and I didn't fast all Ramadan (because I was hiding I was a Muslim by then too). This year everything goes fine as long as you try not to pity yourself. You never say to yourself "oh this is so difficult, why do we have so long days and other Muslims don't". Instead we say alhamdolillah we will manage this inshaAllah and also there will be more reward the longer day it is inshaAllah. Sure it's difficult, but not impossible. More difficult for sick ones or pregnant women though, may Allah s.w.t. strengthen them, ameen.

Also don't forget, in the winter time in Sweden the fasting day is only 9 hours long. Everything compensates, and in the winter time some complain that the fasting day feels too short. SobhanAllah.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Assalamo alaykom,

Fasting in Sweden isn't very tough. Last year, my first Ramadan, was tougher and I didn't fast all Ramadan (because I was hiding I was a Muslim by then too). This year everything goes fine as long as you try not to pity yourself. You never say to yourself "oh this is so difficult, why do we have so long days and other Muslims don't". Instead we say alhamdolillah we will manage this inshaAllah and also there will be more reward the longer day it is inshaAllah. Sure it's difficult, but not impossible. More difficult for sick ones or pregnant women though, may Allah s.w.t. strengthen them, ameen.

Also don't forget, in the winter time in Sweden the fasting day is only 9 hours long. Everything compensates, and in the winter time some complain that the fasting day feels too short. SobhanAllah.

:salam2:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu...

can't say it any better mashallah.

may ALLAH accept our ibadah and good deeds.

Abdul25

Logical Believer
:wasalam:

Here in Germany also we have almost 17 and half hour long fast but we normally dont feel it as it is cold here and we sleep all the day , furthermore, we are habitual to this routine , means not eating as long as 30 hours and it doesn't feel much , but in Pakistan fasts were too tough for me because there we used to eat three times a day and here it is our like routine that we eat in normal days after 20 or 24 hours, so it feels like normal days except that now we eat according to some time table :D

but the thing is that we dont get such spirituality that we used to get in Pakistan , it seems as if we r spending another day as normal one. and it feels as if we are just living , not that kind of fun and special environment we had back in Pakistan.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum wa rahmatu-llah

Allah is never unjust to anyone. inshaa'Allah
May Allah help you al and reward you, ameen
wassalamu alaikum

Ibn Uthaymin

Bro Kashmiri is right. Uk is 17 hours, but in some parts of Wales its 15 minutes more than England. Well, it is in my hometown.

noor aldeen

jazakoom allah kerin my borthers and sisters than;s for passing by
allah give you gana insha allah keep you well in ramadan

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi,

So our muslims brethren in Sweden are overtaking us all in ibadah of Allah subhaanaho waa taala. The more the hardship they face the more reward they earn from Allah Almighty. :)

We fast for just under 15 hours here in Texas. But it does get really hot (around 40 Celsius) in the afternoon here. We try to stay indoors as much so as to not sweat and dehydrate.

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

They should look at the bright side..at least they have cooler weather in general..unlike the Iraqis..who experienced average temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit)..in the *NORTH* of Iraq (which is considered *cooler* than the *rest of the country*)...and they STILL fasted..imagine fasting with that heat for 12-15 hours!..and you have no electricity or water!..may Allah help them wallahi!..I think they'd rather take the 18 hour fast in Sweden any day!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

They should look at the bright side..at least they have cooler weather in general..unlike the Iraqis..who experienced average temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit)..in the *NORTH* of Iraq (which is considered *cooler* than the *rest of the country*)...and they STILL fasted..imagine fasting with that heat for 12-15 hours!..and you have no electricity or water!..may Allah help them wallahi!..I think they'd rather take the 18 hour fast in Sweden any day!

60 degrees ? I never knew that Iraq hits such high degrees on the mercury in the summer.. May Allah azz zawajal make their fasts easy for them & improve their condition. Ameen