The Difference between Men and Women in Islam

Flight23

The Difference between Men and Women in Islam
By Shaykh Yahya ibn Ali Al-Hajuri (may Allah preserve him)

Character and Creation:

1. Man was created from dirt and the woman was created from the rib.
2. Allah has decreed the menstrual cycle for the woman and not the man.
3. Men grow beards women don’t, but if she does it’s permissible for her to shave it.
4. Women are deficient in their intellect and religion. i.e A woman witness = ½ a man and during menses she doesn’t pray and fast.
5. The men have been given strength over women.
6. A man’s semen is white and a woman’s is yellow.
7. It’s an obligation to circumcise the man and its sunnah to circumcise the woman.
8. Ear piercing is permissible for women and not for men.

Purification:

1. The urine of the woman is stronger and more dirtier than the man’s
2. It’s legislated for man to redo Wudu if he intends to have relations with his a second time in the same setting.

Prayer:

1. The Athaan and Iqamah aren’t a must for the women and it’s incorrect for a woman to call them for men.
2. A woman prays behind a man, even if she’s alone. However if a man prays behind another man alone, his prayer is incorrect.
3. A woman can’t lead a man in prayer.
4. If a woman leads the prayer for other women she must stand in the middle. When a man leads the prayer he stands in front row all alone.
5. Congregational prayer is must for the men and not the women.
6. The best row for women in congregation is the last and the best row for the men is the first.
7. Walking to prayer at night is recommended for men, but not for woman.
8. If the imam makes a mistake in prayer the women clap and the men say “ Subhanallah”
9. The women don’t have to attend Jumu’ah; and men must attend Jumu’ah .
10. Women can’t deliver the sermon for Eid, Jumu’ah, Eclipse prayer and Rain prayer.
11. Prayer is invalid when a woman passes in front of a man. And if a man passes in front of another man during prayer, it’s still valid.
12. The Eid prayer is an obligation for men, but not for women. However it’s recommended for women to attend if they are safe from fitah.

Funeral Prayer:

1. The congregation stands at the head of the deceased man and at the middle of the deceased woman.
2. It’s disliked for women to visit the graveyard and it’s recommended for men.
3. Women can’t accompany a funeral procession, but men can.
4. Women wash and shroud each other and men wash and shroud each other; unless they were spouses.

Zakah and Sadaqah:

1. Women are encouraged more than men to give charity.
2. A woman can pay Zakah on her children’s and husband’s behalf, but a man can’t pay Zakah on his children’s and wife’s behalf.
3. Redemption is a duty for the man and not the woman. This can occur if a man intentionally had relations with his wife during daylight in Ramadan.
4. A woman can’t fast voluntarily unless she has her husband’s permission. A man doesn’t need his wife’s permission to fast voluntarily.

Hajj

1. A woman must have a Mahram when travelling.
2. A woman mustn’t raise her voice during the Talbeeyah; and a man should raise voice.
3. A woman’s Ihram is the clothes she wears for the journey.
4. A man can do Ramal-a slight jog between Safa and Marwa, and around the Ka’bah; and a woman shouldn’t.
5. It’s not recommended for the women to try and kiss or touch the black stone during crowding.
6. A man can ascend on Safa and Marwa, however a woman mustn’t.

Aqeeqah:

1. For a girl one sheep is sacrificed and for a boy two.

Jihad, Battle and Leadership:

1. There were no women Prophets or Messengers.
2. A woman can’t be a leader for the people or the military.
3. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) took the pledge from the men through a handshake and from the women by speech.
4. Women aren’t obliged to perform Jihad unlike the men. However there are certain conditions that must adhered to before the men embark on this obligation.

Marriage , Divorce, Iddah, Kulla’:

1. Women are given the Sadaq, not the men.
2. Men have the authority for divorce, marriage and giving the Mahr, not the women.
3. A man can marry a woman from Ahul Kitab if he knows she frees from Zina. A woman doesn’t have this right.
4. A man can have more than one wife. A woman can’t have more than one husband.
5. The Waleemah and wedding are the responsibility on the man not the woman.
6. It’s permissible for the women to beat the Duff at their wedding. This act isn’t permissible for the men.
7. Maintenance and support are the duty of the men not the women.
8. A woman is under the authority of her husband. A man isn’t under the authority of his wife.
9. A woman can’t have anyone visit her home unless she gets her husband’s permission first. A Man doesn’t need permission for visitors in his home.
10. The Angels curse the woman if her husband separates from her bed. The husband doesn’t receive this curse.
11. A woman must have her husband’s permission before she leaves home. A man doesn’t need his wife’s permission to leave home.
12. A man doesn’t have an ‘Idda unless he wants to marry his ex-wife’s sister or aunt. However if he divorces his fourth wife and wants to remarry, then he must wait until his ex-wife concludes her “Iddah.

Dress and Adornment:

1. It’s recommended for a woman to adorn herself in her home for her husband.
2. It’s haraam for a woman to imitate a man in his dress.
3. It’s an obligation for the women to sag their clothes below her ankles. Sagging pants and thoubs below the ankles is Haraam for men.
4. A woman can’t change her clothes unless she’s in her own home. This act doesn’t apply to the men.
5. A woman must wear Hijab: cover her face and body.
6. Women can wear jewelry.
7. Men can’t wear silk, but women can.

Taken from : Kashful Watha’I by Shayk Yahya Al-Hajuri
Translated by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Lamont Battle- Adam

Valerie

Is this all true? I mean, believed by all Muslims? I am still learning, so forgive me please, but I cringed at "Women are deficient in their intellect and religion." :(

Edit: I am being honest, not trying to pick at things... I'm just curious. I am one of those weird people that likes to know as much information as possible :)

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Is this all true? I mean, believed by all Muslims? I am still learning, so forgive me please, but I cringed at "Women are deficient in their intellect and religion." :(

peace,

there is nothing to feel sad actually. both men and women are humans in the eyes of God (muslims dont say that women are semi-humans like in many cultures).

its only that God Has given men a degree over women. men not only have more rights but more duties as well.

coming to ur question, women are deficient in intellect and religion, if we study the world history and human psychology, we'll get the answers.

u'll find that most of those who are into superstitions, black-magic, anger, screaming :D, jealousy etc are women. and most of the leaders in politics, military, economists, scientists are men.

but it does not mean that pious women will not be rewarded or unjust male rulers will go unpunished.

Valerie

u'll find that most of those who are into superstitions, black-magic, anger, screaming :D, jealousy etc are women. and most of the leaders in politics, military, economists, scientists are men.

Thank you for your post.

I don't know that the first part would be completely true. I don't think that women are more angry or jealous than men. Most of the writers in history were men as well, they could easily have just portrayed women that way (take some Christian churches, they wrote whole books on how evil women are, and falsely blamed women for magic). It's difficult to be a leader when you're not supposed to leave the house (not saying it is that way with Muslims, but in the history of my country (US) and I'm sure many others, women were expected to be in the kitchen, caring for the kids, etc).

With that statement of men being the leaders, on one hand I could say that many advances in technology, medicine, etc were due to men, BUT we could also say that the vast majority of the violence and wars were the fault of men, not women.

I have a bachelors degree in journalism and am actively searching for truth in my beliefs. My husband doesn't have a college degree and could care less about religion. I will leave it at that and not put my feelings into it.

Bedtime, and as I said earlier, thank you everyone. I appreciate reading what everyone has to say, whether I agree or not. I would rather see all sides of Islam rather than only the parts that appeal to me.

Have a great day :)
Valerie

saif

:salam2:

5. The men have been given strength over women.

Is this a difference in Islam? In which other religion the women are physically stronger than men?

6. A man’s semen is white and a woman’s is yellow.

Oh, if this is a difference IN ISLAM, then I know many other differences and the list provided by the respected sheikh is far from being complete. Another difference IN ISLAM is, that women's skin is much softer than men's skin, and on and on and on.

7. It’s an obligation to circumcise the man and its sunnah to circumcise the woman.
This topic has been discussed several times in the forum and I have recorded my protest against this understanding of the Sunnah several times. Fortunately, I am not alone.

:wasalam:

saif

1. The urine of the woman is stronger and more dirtier than the man’s

The respected sheikh is clearly intruding in the knowledge area of micro biologists. Unfortunately, the history of such intrusions is long and painful. Even in recent times some sheikhs intrude in the knowledge areas of astronomers, for example.

I am not sure, but even if he is building his opinion on the basis of a hadith, it is not correct to present it as "Islam". The prophets have come to purify us and not to teach us how to heal certain physical deseases or how to grow certain crops. On matters like these, they reflect the knowledge level of their time and society. And if we now start healing those deseases with other means and start growing those crops differently, we will certainly not be comitting a bid'a (innovation in religion), simply because these things were never a part of the religion. Look how weird it sounds, "In Islam we believe, the urine of women is dirtier than urine of men"

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member

Edit: I am being honest, not trying to pick at things... I'm just curious. I am one of those weird people that likes to know as much information as possible :)

:salam2: Sister,

Below is the explanation

SHAYKH ABDUL IBN BAAZ:

We often hear the noble Hadeeth "Women are deficient in their intelligence and in their Deen” and some men use this Hadeeth as a form of belittlement towards the women. We desire from you O noble shaykh, clarification of the meaning of this Hadeeth?

The meaning of the Hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam):

“I have never seen anyone with a deficiency of ‘Aql (intellect) and Deen (religion) who are more overpowering to men than one of you [women].”

So it was said:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what is the deficiency in her intelligence?”

He said:

“Isn’t the witness of two women equal to that of one man?”

So it was said:

“What is the deficiency in her Deen?”

So he said:

“Isn’t it the case that if she is menstruating she doesn’t pray or fast?”

So the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified that the deficiency of her intellect was from the angle of her weak memory and that her testimony is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. This is because of the preciseness of the witness (in Islaam) and because she could forget and make an addition or deletion to the testimony. Just as Allaah says:

{And bring forth two witnesses from your own men. If there are not two men (available) then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them (two women) errs then the other can remind her…} [2282]

As for deficiency in her Deen, then it is because during her state of menstruation and post-partum bleeding, she abandons the Salaat and fasting, and she doesn’t make up the salaat. This is from the deficiency in her Deen. But this deficiency is not blameworthy upon her. Rather it is a deficiency, which happens as a result of that which Allaah had decreed for her and this was done in a manner of leniency and easiness towards her. For if she were to fast in a state of menstruation or in a state of postpartum bleeding it would harm her. So from the Mercy of Allaah (towards women) He has legislated for her to abandon the fast at the time when she is menstruating or in a state of Nifaas, and to make up the fast afterwards.

As for the salaat, then without a doubt, the state of menstruation prevents her from purification. So from the mercy of Allaah, He legislated for her to abandon her prayer and likewise in the state of Nifaas. He also legislated for her not to make it up, because in making up the (Salaat) is difficulty, because the Salaat is tremendous, and repetitious, five times throughout the night and day, and the days of menstruation can be plentiful, sometimes seven or eight days or more than that. And the Nifaas could reach 40 days. So from the mercy of Allaah upon her and from His Ihsaan (doing good) towards her is that He removed the Salaat from her whether it be the initial Salaat or the make-up. And this does not necessitate that her intelligence is deficient in everything! Nor that her Deen is deficient in everything!

But indeed the Messenger (saw) clarified that the deficiency in her intelligence is from that which happens to her from the lack of precision in her memory and testimony, and that the deficiency in her Deen is from the fact that she leaves off the prayer and fasting at the time of her menses or in the state of Nifaas. Also this doesn’t necessitate that she is less than a man in everything! or the fact that the man is better in everything! Yes, generally the male gender is better than the gender of the females generally for many reasons. Just as Allaah the High and Sublime says:

{Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend their wealth (to support them)…} [434]

But she can surpass him, sometimes, in many things. And by Allaah how many women surpass many men in their intelligence, Deen and precision!

But verily that which is narrated on the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) is that the women are surpassed by men, generally, in intelligence and in the religion only. There can proceed from her many righteous actions, in which, she can surpass the men and in her Taqwah of Allaah, Azza Wa Jall, and in her station in the hereafter. There could be some affairs that she places great importance on and is precise in them more so than the precision of a man. There are many issues, which she carefully considers, and is diligent in memorizing and precise in.

She would become the foundation in Islaamic history and point of reference in many affairs and this is clear to those who ponder and reflect on the state of the women during the time of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) and after that. With this it should be understood that this deficiency should not prevent her from being treated equally in her narrations and in her testimony, if it is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. And it doesn’t necessarily mean that it (this deficiency) should prevent her from having Taqwah of Allaah and the fact that she could be from the most virtuous slaves of Allaah if she is upright in her Deen, even if the fasting and Salaat is not obligatory upon her at the time of menstruation and Nifaas rather this is a deficiency which is specific to the intellect and Deen just as the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified.

It is not appropriate that a believer should accuse her of being deficient in everything and weak in every area of her Deen, and its clarification is pertinent and important so that the speech of the Messenger is understood in it’s proper context and in the best possible manner and Allaah knows best.

www.madeenah.com

FreedomFighter

Is there any proof for that? And for what good is this?

8. If the imam makes a mistake in prayer the women clap and the men say “ Subhanallah”

Aren't the men supposed to say the verse that was not correct?

11. Prayer is invalid when a woman passes in front of a man. And if a man passes in front of another man during prayer, it’s still valid.

Is there a hadith or verse in support of this? If a child passes in front of the prayer, it is still valid though.

4. A woman can’t change her clothes unless she’s in her own home. This act doesn’t apply to the men.
5. A woman must wear Hijab: cover her face and body.

Example, what if she was in the swimming pool (for females only) and you change clothes? Is that wrong?

If a woman does not cover her face, is she doing a sin?

To sum it up, is it better to be a male since there are advantages such as travelling alone or having authority to divorce or being a leader, etc.

saif

Apparently, the respected sheikh has drawn his conclusion from the following hadith:

‘Abdullāh Ibn Sāmit reports on the authority of Abū Dharr that the Prophet (sws) said: ‘When any one of you stands for prayer he is covered [from the passers by] if there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle. In case there is no such thing before him, his prayer would be nullified if a menstruating woman, a donkey or a black dog [passes in front of him]. (Muslim, No: 510)

However, I have no clue, why he is "rejecting" (or maybe he has another explaination) the following commentary of Aisha RA, the mother of the believers, on the above hadith.

"Do you make us [women] equal to dogs and donkeys? (She is referring to the saying ascribed to the Prophet quoted above). While I used to lie in my bed, the Prophet would come and pray facing the middle of the bed. I used to consider it not good to stand in front of him in his prayers. So I used to slip away slowly and quietly from the foot of the bed till I got out of my quilt." (Bukhārī, No: 486)

'The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said: ‘The prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman [if they pass in front of the praying people].’ I said, ‘You have rendered us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qiblah. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away for I disliked facing him’. (Bukhārī, No: 489)

'I used to sleep in front of Allah’s Apostle with my legs opposite his Qiblah [facing him]; and whenever he prostrated, he pushed my feet and I withdrew them and whenever he stood, I stretched them. She added, ‘In those days there were no lamps in the houses’. (Bukhārī, No: 491)

Is there any need of my comments after this clear commentary of Aisha RA on the above hadith?

saif

protest

Instead of deleting this misleading post, which has started this discussion and which is causing so many midunderstandings, one of the moderators has chosen to delete one of my posts. I would have welcomed a short reasoning for having to take that action. I protest.

saif

protest

I have noticed, it was not only one but several posts, which got deleted. It looks like there are more to be deleted.

Please put them back because they have costed a lot of time. You certainly don't want this to end before God, where I will demand for compensation of my time and effort. If there is something wrong in them, then it is my right to get corrected. Even in that case, your case will be poor before God.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I'll look into this and someone should get back to you inshaa' Allaah. Sometimes, due to heavy activity, we may forget to inform people of deletions when necessary...

Was-salaam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

Is this a difference in Islam? In which other religion the women are physically stronger than men?

It depends on what angle the Shaykh meant with this. If he intended by it the aayah, "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other" [An-Nisaa' 4:34] then it is a valid point. It doesn't mean this is exclusive to Islaam, it means there is a text in Islaam concerning it.

Oh, if this is a difference IN ISLAM, then I know many other differences and the list provided by the respected sheikh is far from being complete. Another difference IN ISLAM is, that women's skin is much softer than men's skin, and on and on and on.

Perhaps you are true, but what have you achieved? Perhaps like the last example, the point was to demonstrate that their is some text concerning this, not that I can think of one specific enough.

The respected sheikh is clearly intruding in the knowledge area of micro biologists. Unfortunately, the history of such intrusions is long and painful. Even in recent times some sheikhs intrude in the knowledge areas of astronomers, for example.

Quite the same way you have intruded in the area of fiqh by challenging scholars and remaining ignorant about what this conclusion is based on. Tahaarah is a baby's subject. If you haven't covered this topic but instead speak about the opinions of scholars, then you're in the wrong place and need to step back a dozen levels (out of humility and saving humiliation). This topic comes up in one form or another under purification. I've seen it in many of the Hanbali books of fiqh for starts.

I am not sure, but even if he is building his opinion on the basis of a hadith, it is not correct to present it as "Islam". The prophets have come to purify us and not to teach us how to heal certain physical deseases or how to grow certain crops. On matters like these, they reflect the knowledge level of their time and society. And if we now start healing those deseases with other means and start growing those crops differently, we will certainly not be comitting a bid'a (innovation in religion), simply because these things were never a part of the religion. Look how weird it sounds, "In Islam we believe, the urine of women is dirtier than urine of men"

It is from some ahaadeeth yes, and the conclusions derived from those ahaadeeth differ. Both hadeeth are authentic, in one a baby boy urinates on the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) so he washes it by sprinkling water on his garmnet. The other, it is a female and the Prophet (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) washes his garment.

Some of the fuqahaa' have thus concluded that the urine of female is stronger. Some have concluded that the urine of female infants is stronger. Others have concluded from other narrations of the ahaadeeth, that it means that the urine of a infant who eats soluble food needs to be washed, and the urine of a infant purely on milk needs sprinkling. The details and conclusions lie in the varying narrations and wordings. It's not for you and me to conclude, though the last view does seem to make most sense. But respect the scholars differing, drop the whole attack/refutation approach and go learn. If you learn at the feet of scholars, you will come over these issues. It seems like that isn't your slightest concern here however?

It sounds weird but no one says that, yet you've gone far enough to coin a line out of it!? Ahl us-Sunnah believe in the texts from eemaan, they do not weigh something with their intellects firstly, as this is the innovation of the mu`tazilah. Having said that, the scholars have a right in concluding this statement on urine. However, it may be untrue and we need not to consult urologists for that, rather we see what the truth was concerning this from the Messenger (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam). [Perhaps by considering all narrations, the truth is the last opinion]

Your next post on divorce etc. and the verse in An-Nisaa' has been deleted. It seems to personal an opinion, and you haven't preceeded with the speech of scholars. We are not deserving of ijtihaad, we need permission and authority to do that. We have Ibn Kathir and the likes to refer to for tafseer, yet you've given whats seems to be your own tafseer and opinion. Not needed akhi... This deen is about facts and scholarly opinions, not that of laymen.

More to come inshaa' Allaah

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

Apparently, the respected sheikh has drawn his conclusion from the following hadith:

‘Abdullāh Ibn Sāmit reports on the authority of Abū Dharr that the Prophet (sws) said: ‘When any one of you stands for prayer he is covered [from the passers by] if there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle. In case there is no such thing before him, his prayer would be nullified if a menstruating woman, a donkey or a black dog [passes in front of him]. (Muslim, No: 510)

However, I have no clue, why he is "rejecting" (or maybe he has another explaination) the following commentary of Aisha RA, the mother of the believers, on the above hadith.

"Do you make us [women] equal to dogs and donkeys? (She is referring to the saying ascribed to the Prophet quoted above). While I used to lie in my bed, the Prophet would come and pray facing the middle of the bed. I used to consider it not good to stand in front of him in his prayers. So I used to slip away slowly and quietly from the foot of the bed till I got out of my quilt." (Bukhārī, No: 486)

'The things which annul the prayers were mentioned before me. They said: ‘The prayer is annulled by a dog, a donkey and a woman [if they pass in front of the praying people].’ I said, ‘You have rendered us (i.e. women) dogs. I saw the Prophet praying while I used to lie in my bed between him and the Qiblah. Whenever I was in need of something, I would slip away for I disliked facing him’. (Bukhārī, No: 489)

'I used to sleep in front of Allah’s Apostle with my legs opposite his Qiblah [facing him]; and whenever he prostrated, he pushed my feet and I withdrew them and whenever he stood, I stretched them. She added, ‘In those days there were no lamps in the houses’. (Bukhārī, No: 491)

Is there any need of my comments after this clear commentary of Aisha RA on the above hadith?

Wa`alaykum us-salaam

Perhaps I am wrong, but this post is like the others. There is a need to comment, because you seem to have missed a key point in `Aa'ishah's speech, may Allaah be pleased with her and destroy those who accuse her. The point states that if one prays without a sutrah, the invalidation of prayer doesn't take place except if a [menstruating] woman, black dog or donkey passes.

One commentary of Aa'ishah shows that the Prophet's (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) sutrah was the bed and she was on top of it. So the scenarios are different and not conflicting at all. The other commentaries/ahaadeeth show that Aa'ishah didn't pass in front of the Prophet's (sall Allaahu `alayhi wasallam) sutrah. To have your feet or some part of the body in front of you doesn't constitute the act of 'passing' does it. Is it the same as going from one side to another?

Where in the ahaadeeth did that take place? So what did the Shaykh "reject"? Consider when we pray in the masjid and someone is in front of us. They stand up and walk left or right. They don't walk from one side to another, because that is what is prohibited. Allaah knows best. Perhaps I have missed something.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

I've looked into the reasons of deletion. It is the source of the fataawa and opinions that you've pasted, paraphrased and elaborated on etc. From what it seems, they do well at explaining things away from their realities to appease to the modern West. This is what seems apparent but my investigation has been minute.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

I advise you to read Shaykh Bin Baaz's response!

It has nothing to do with being a politician a scientist or whatever ..lol, you need straighten out your thinking, what an annoying post..

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I glanced over the replies and need to add one simple thing. Allah made us different. Women, due to the heaviness of our responsibilities differ in intellect. That does not mean we are stupid. We bear children...we have to focus on raising our children. We can not be single-minded in the pursuit of knowledge because we have to think of taking care of our families. Many of us forgo studies to work and put food on the table. In the laws of Equality we are equal souls before Allah. He does not state that we will be judged for our intellect. We will be judged for that which we do with our intellect. Men have more time. The age old saying is a man works from son to son and a womans work is never done.

I say to you think of your mothers. That is the reason it is written that junnath lies at the feet of your mother.

saif

Brother Alkashmiri,

I understand that our differences are deep-rooted. You have the right to consider my sources as the ones pleasing the west and I have the right to have my opinion. It is me, who has to be answerable to God, and I am clear in my heart, that I do not prefer some scholars over the others because of pleasing anybody. You may have allergy with using the intellect but that is the only I can differentiate one interpretation from the other and choose the one which seems more truthful to me. But then again, you will say, they are not scholars and the one's you refer to are. I can only say, "to you is your understanding and to me is my understanding.

The topic is closed for me.
Wassalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
:salam2: Sister,

Below is the explanation

SHAYKH ABDUL IBN BAAZ:

We often hear the noble Hadeeth "Women are deficient in their intelligence and in their Deen” and some men use this Hadeeth as a form of belittlement towards the women. We desire from you O noble shaykh, clarification of the meaning of this Hadeeth?

The meaning of the Hadeeth of the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam):

“I have never seen anyone with a deficiency of ‘Aql (intellect) and Deen (religion) who are more overpowering to men than one of you [women].”

So it was said:

“O Messenger of Allaah, what is the deficiency in her intelligence?”

He said:

“Isn’t the witness of two women equal to that of one man?”

So it was said:

“What is the deficiency in her Deen?”

So he said:

“Isn’t it the case that if she is menstruating she doesn’t pray or fast?”

So the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified that the deficiency of her intellect was from the angle of her weak memory and that her testimony is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. This is because of the preciseness of the witness (in Islaam) and because she could forget and make an addition or deletion to the testimony. Just as Allaah says:

{And bring forth two witnesses from your own men. If there are not two men (available) then a man and two women, such as you agree for witnesses, so that if one of them (two women) errs then the other can remind her…} [2282]

As for deficiency in her Deen, then it is because during her state of menstruation and post-partum bleeding, she abandons the Salaat and fasting, and she doesn’t make up the salaat. This is from the deficiency in her Deen. But this deficiency is not blameworthy upon her. Rather it is a deficiency, which happens as a result of that which Allaah had decreed for her and this was done in a manner of leniency and easiness towards her. For if she were to fast in a state of menstruation or in a state of postpartum bleeding it would harm her. So from the Mercy of Allaah (towards women) He has legislated for her to abandon the fast at the time when she is menstruating or in a state of Nifaas, and to make up the fast afterwards.

As for the salaat, then without a doubt, the state of menstruation prevents her from purification. So from the mercy of Allaah, He legislated for her to abandon her prayer and likewise in the state of Nifaas. He also legislated for her not to make it up, because in making up the (Salaat) is difficulty, because the Salaat is tremendous, and repetitious, five times throughout the night and day, and the days of menstruation can be plentiful, sometimes seven or eight days or more than that. And the Nifaas could reach 40 days. So from the mercy of Allaah upon her and from His Ihsaan (doing good) towards her is that He removed the Salaat from her whether it be the initial Salaat or the make-up. And this does not necessitate that her intelligence is deficient in everything! Nor that her Deen is deficient in everything!

But indeed the Messenger (saw) clarified that the deficiency in her intelligence is from that which happens to her from the lack of precision in her memory and testimony, and that the deficiency in her Deen is from the fact that she leaves off the prayer and fasting at the time of her menses or in the state of Nifaas. Also this doesn’t necessitate that she is less than a man in everything! or the fact that the man is better in everything! Yes, generally the male gender is better than the gender of the females generally for many reasons. Just as Allaah the High and Sublime says:

{Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend their wealth (to support them)…} [434]

But she can surpass him, sometimes, in many things. And by Allaah how many women surpass many men in their intelligence, Deen and precision!

But verily that which is narrated on the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) is that the women are surpassed by men, generally, in intelligence and in the religion only. There can proceed from her many righteous actions, in which, she can surpass the men and in her Taqwah of Allaah, Azza Wa Jall, and in her station in the hereafter. There could be some affairs that she places great importance on and is precise in them more so than the precision of a man. There are many issues, which she carefully considers, and is diligent in memorizing and precise in.

She would become the foundation in Islaamic history and point of reference in many affairs and this is clear to those who ponder and reflect on the state of the women during the time of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) and after that. With this it should be understood that this deficiency should not prevent her from being treated equally in her narrations and in her testimony, if it is strengthened with the testimony of another woman. And it doesn’t necessarily mean that it (this deficiency) should prevent her from having Taqwah of Allaah and the fact that she could be from the most virtuous slaves of Allaah if she is upright in her Deen, even if the fasting and Salaat is not obligatory upon her at the time of menstruation and Nifaas rather this is a deficiency which is specific to the intellect and Deen just as the Messenger (sal-Allaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) clarified.

It is not appropriate that a believer should accuse her of being deficient in everything and weak in every area of her Deen, and its clarification is pertinent and important so that the speech of the Messenger is understood in it’s proper context and in the best possible manner and Allaah knows best.

www.madeenah.com

Assalamu alikum may Allah BLess you brotherfor that informative post .

I really love this hadith i like it without any explanation just as it mentioned by our prophet peace be upon him
i accept it Alhamdulillah and proud of it cause we are women not like men
Women and men act together as the (+ve) and (-ve) combined together in the battery to inform power and strength (life)

And it's Known that women is in Fetrah are weak and emotional needs the opposite Strength and wise
They're in need for the one who also lead her and protect her.
And Life is like a boat which needs only one Leadership, Alhamdulillah I am proud of this hadith.