The language or in the Shade of Quran ?

sweetshaama

Assalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb my dear brothers and sisters,

Hope each and everyone of you are doing well by the grace of Almighty Allah. I have recently decided to study the book In the Shade of Quran or Fi-Zilal al-Quran by Sayyid Qutb. Skimmed through it and MashAllah does look very useful. Don't know whether any of you would be familiar with it or not. I could only read the Quran and other than that I have no knowledge of Arabic, so I was wondering should I learn Arabic as a language first and then read the Quran with understanding (meanwhile reading it as I always do) or is it okay to start off with something like the Fi-Zilal al-Quran at one go ?

Idris16

Wa alaykum salam warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Why not read Fi Dhilal al-Quran in your language and at the same time learn Arabic?

sclavus

Assalaamo alaykum,

Welcome to the forums good sister.

In every field of knowledge, a student must start by learning the basics. In the deen of Islam you should start with the basics of belief. All you need is a small booklet like "The Fundamentals of Islamic belief" or "The shine of the Creed", along with a couple hours of explanation. Search the forums.

After that you'll be more fit to learn some Jurisprudence and tafseer. You should do all of that learning in your mother language, learning Arabic will take the time of learning a language...

And while I'm at it, I have to caution you about Sayyed Kutb rahimahu'Llah and his books. He was a revolutionary man of letters more than a regular scholar and he is considered to be the father of modern-time Islamic terrorism because of his views on governments and Muslims living under these governments. Stay away from his books for the moment, Nihilism is not what you need.

May Allah preserve you.

Assalaamo alaykum.

Mazhara

I could only read the Quran and other than that I have no knowledge of Arabic, so I was wondering should I learn Arabic as a language first and then read the Quran with understanding (meanwhile reading it as I always do) or is it okay to start off with something like the Fi-Zilal al-Quran at one go ?

:mashallah: You can read the Arabic Text of Qur'aan. Your intention is now to understand what is stated therein since you do not have the basic knowledge of Arabic language.

Allah the Exalted has emphatically pronounced that the Qur'aan has been made easy for understanding and comprehension in the language of our Guide Lord Muhammad [Sal'lallaa'hoalaih'wa'salam. Cant we perceive from this statement that the Arabic which is the used medium for making Qur'aan easy to comprehend is itself easy to learn for this purpose?

Arabic of Qur'aan is the only language, the grammar of which can be learnt by non natives exactly in the manner they learnt grammar of their own language without taking classes in school. The grammar of native language is learnt from infancy without conscious effort and gets stored in the non declarative memory.

Arabic grammar is also learnt by same method of listening and seeing.

If you read not the opinions and thoughts of the Exegetes, you will not find much of difference in the translations. You can see many translations of an Ayah at this site and see for yourself if there is much difference therein.

http://www.islamawakened.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=10