The levels of the early Muslims with regards to Night Prayer

MuslimUmma22

:salam2: my dear brother and sister of islam i just come accross this information link shareislam.com i hope you benifit Inshallah amiin
:wasalam:

The levels of the early Muslims with regards to Night Prayer

Imam Ibnul Jawzi said: You should know that the early Muslims were at one of seven levels with regards to night prayer:

Level one: These would stay up the entire night. Some of them would pray Fajr with the same wudu as Isha.

Level two: These would pray half of the night.

Level three: These would pray one-third of the night. The Prophet peace be upon him) said: " The most beloved salah to Allah The Exalted is the salah of Dawud. He would sleep half of the night, pray one-third, and sleep one-sixth". [Agreed upon].

Level four: These would pray one-sixth of the night or one-fifth.

Level five: These would not specify an amount of the night. He would only pray until he became sleepy, and would then sleep. When he woke up, he would pray.

Level six: These would pray two or four rakah.

Level seven: These would stay awake between the two Isha times [the early time for Isha and the later, recommended time], and they would sweeten their mornings [with dua]. This way, they would join the night and morning. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: " Indeed in every night is a time wherein if the worshipper asks Allah for something good, He will give it. And this is in every night." [Narrated by Muslim]

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Jazakallaahu Khayr. Very beneficial. Hmmmm I'd love to try all levels Insha Allaah especially Level 3 when I don't have work.