The State of the Ummah

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi
As-salaamu'alaykum warahmatullaahi wabarakathu,

The State of the Ummah, Causes of Weakness and Means for Revival

In these times we are living in, many Muslims can see that the Muslim community (Ummah) is in turmoil and tribulation. Innocent Muslims are suffering and dying in conflicts in various parts of the world, their lands are being invaded and their blood is being split. However, this state of affairs is not something new for the Muslims.

Some Companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) complained to him whilst they were being persecuted in Makkah by the polytheists. They said to him, "Will you not seek help for us? Will you not call upon Allaah for us? The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied:
"Amongst those who came before you, a hole would be dug for him and he would be placed in it. Then a saw would be placed upon his head and he would be sawn in half, yet he would nto abandon his (Islaamic) reigion. His body would be torn with iron combs, the flesh from his bones and nerves being removed, yet that would not make him abandon his Religion. By Allaah! This Religion will prevail till a rider will travel from San'aa to Hadramaut (two cities in Yemen) not fearing anyone except Allaah and the wolf upon his sheep, but you people are hasty."
(Bukhaari no.809)

So due to the righteousness and piety of the people of Islaam, a time cam when Allaah blessed them with tranquility, safety, wealth and countless blessings, to which the books of Islaamic history bear witness. Then there occurred, due to the sins of the Muslims and their becoming distant from the true Islaamic belief, that which the Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said would happen:
"When you partake in usury transactions, hold on to the tails of the cattle, become satisfied with cultivation of the land and you abandon striving in Allaah's Cause, then Allaah will send upon you humiliation! And He will not remove it until you return back to your Religion."
(Abu Dawood no.3455)

In this Prophetic statement we can clearly see that which brings about humiliation and also the cure which will bring to the Muslims honour, self respect and glory (i.e. a return to the Islaam the Messenger was sent with).

The question now at hand is: how does one bring about rectification, removal of oppression and a revival of the Ummah, it's honour and glory?

In this short article it will be proven without doubt that this can only be achieved by returning back the to Qur'aan and the Sunnah, with the understanding and methodology of the Salaf (early generations of Muslims). This is proven itself by statement of the Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him):
"I have left you upon clear proof, it's night is like it's day (i.e. there is no darkness)! No one strays from it except that he is destroyed. Whoever from amongst you lives for long will see much differing and controversy. So you are obligated to adhere to whatever you know of my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs after me. Hold on to it with your molar teeth (i.e. cling to it, do not let go). And upon you is to show obeidience to the ruler, even if he be an Abyssinian slave, for indeed the believer (as it relates to Revelation) is like a subervient camal, he goes wherever he is led."
(at-Tirmidhee no.2676)

The term 'Sunnah' here refers to the way, path and methodology of the Prophet Muhammad and the Noble Caliphs from his Companions. So when controversy and tribulation begins, then rectification lies in the Sunnah, just as Imaam Maalik (died 179AH, may Allaah have Mercy upon him) said, "The latter part of the Ummah will not be rectifyed expcept by that whic rectifyed it's earliest part."

Now let us establish from the Qur'aanic and Prophetic guidance, four great principles that are required to bring about this desired rectification and revival.

The First Principle - Actualising Tawheed

This is the beginning and foundation of rectification - the worship of Allaah Alone.
This was the purpose of the sending of the Prophets and was the foundation of their call, Allaah said in the Qur'aan:
"And We sent to every nation a Messenger, calling them to the worship of Allaah Alone and away from the worship of the false dieties."
(Soorah an-Nahl:36)

And in the Sunnah we find that when the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to his Companion Mu'adh ibn Jabal when sending him to Yemen: "I am sending you to the People of the Book (Christians and Jews), so let the first thing you call them to be the Tawheed of Allaah, the Most High. If they acknowledge that, then inform them that Allaah has obligated upon them five prayers throughout the day and night. If they pray, then inform them that Allaah has obligated upon them Charity from their wealth..."
(Bukhaari no.7372 and Muslim no.19)

So the hadeeth clearly explains the order of importance and the order of establishing the essential obligations, that is to say that the greatest obligation is the belief of the Muslim, upon which is established the rest of the affairs of the Religion.

So it was the Tawheed of Allaah for which we were created, so this is the starting point. Allaah the Almighty has said:
"I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me Alone."
(Soorah adh-Dhaariyaat:56)

With great regret, we see that those who claim that they are rectifying and bringing about good for the Muslims and making claims to the Banner of Rectification of the Ummah, are actually the severest in opposition to this first principle. Instead they spread ideas of revolution and rebellion night and day opposing government and regimes! So they have no true adherence to this principle, except that some may claim attachment to it superficially only to decveive the population, throwing dust in their eyes whilst preparing them to embark upon political goals.

The Second Principle - Rectification Begins with Oneself

Allaah the Most High says in the Qur'aan:
"Indeed, Allaah will not change the condition of a nation until they change what is within themselves."
(Soorah ar-Ra'd:11)

And Allaah the Most Perfect has stated:
"O you who believe! Save yourselves and your families from the Fire."
(Soorah at-Tahreem:6)

So the path of rectification begins with oneself, the rectification of oneself leads to the rectification of ones family, the rectification of the family leads to the rectification of the locality, the rectification of the locality leads to the rectification of the city, and from the city to the country, and from the country to the continent, and so on until the rectification of the Ummah, and the rectification of the Ummah lead to the rectification of the World!

The Third Principle - Knowledge Before Speech and Action

Allaah's Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that the scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets. The Prophet's left knowledge as inheritence, not wealth, so whoever takes this knowledge has taken an immense treasure and whoever treads a path in search of knowledge, indeed Allaah makes easy for him the Path to Paradise! (From the hadeeth in Abu Dawood no.3641)

Allaah says in the Qur'aan:
"Say (O Muhammad): Are those who know equal to those who do not know?!"
(Soorah az-Zumar:9)

So knowledge gives an individual a discerning insight in times of calamity and allows him to act in the wisest manner in harmony with the Texts and not in opposition to them. He does not act with good intentions alone, rather he supports that with knowledge and understanding.

The Companion 'ibn Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) mentioned that the scholars teach the people the basic and most important knowledge first before teaching them the details. And this is in accordance with what the Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) commanded Mu'adh ibn Jabal with - as mentioned in the First Principle.

So, we do not find the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings be upon him) nor his Companions (may Allaah be pleased with them all) cultivating the people upon politics and revolutions! So the intent of this principle in is that the caller to rectification must exert every effort in speaking and acting upon evidences from the Qur'aan and the Sunnah, and claims of 'fixing' and 'rectifying' are not accepted from a person until it is established that he speaks with evidences and does not oppose the Sunnah.

So a preacher who stands upon the pulpit and rebukes the rulers and calls the people to revolt against them has opposed what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has commanded us with. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said:
"Whoever wishes to advise the ruler, let him not do so in public! Rather he should take him by his hand and take him into seclusion. So if he (the ruler) accepts it (the advice) from him, then it is in his favour. And if not, then he (the adviser) has fulfilled what was upon him."
(Musnad Ahmad no.3/1403 - saheeh isnaad)

To note also: Acts such as protests, hunger strikes and the like are not from the Sunnah, nor from the path of the Salaf, rather they are innovated, deviated methods. Revival and rectification are acts of worship which require textual proofs.

The Fourth Principle - The Understanding of the Salaf

This knowledge must be established upon the methodology of the Salafus-Saalih (the first three generations of Muslims, the Pious Predecessors). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
"This Ummah will divide into seventy three Sects, seventy two will be for the Fire and one will be in Paradise and that is the Jamaa'ah"

And in another narration the Messenger was asked, "Which is that one (saved) Sect?"
So he replied "Whoever is upon that which I and my Companions are upon."
(Musnad Ahmad 4/102, Abu Dawood no.4597 and at-Tirmidhee no.2641)

And in yet another narration he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
"The best of mankind are my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them (i.e the Salafus-Saalih)"
(Bukhaari and Muslim)

So the Jamaa'ah, the Saved Sect and those who understood best this Religion, it's beauty and the means of it's rectification were the Companions of the Prophet and those who followed them precisely.

Allaah, the Creator and Sustainer of all in existance said concerning the Companions:
"The first and foremost (companions) from the migrants of Makkah and the helpers of Madeenah and those who follow them precisely - Allaah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. He has promised them Gardens of Paradise under which rivers flow, to abide therein eternally and that is the Supreme Success"
(Soorah at-Tawbah:100)

And Allaah the Most High also said:
"And whoever opposes the Messenger after the clear guidance has been conveyed to him and chooses a path other than the path of the believers (i.e. the Companions), then Allaah will leave him in that path he has chosen and burn him in the Hellfire and what an evil destination!"
(Soorah an-Nisaa':115)

So whoever wishes correct knowledge, then let him stick to the path of those early believers and the Scholars of Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah (i.e. our pious Salaf). Let him not traverse the path of the people who seperate themselves from it in speech and action, those who belittle the path of the early generations with catchy slogans.

Beware from the Sects who oppose that which the Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Noble Companions (may Allaah be pleased with the all) were upon. And you may ask, "How will I know when they have opposed the Messenger?" You will know, may Allaah bless you, when you have embarked sincerely upon seeking knowledge, then you will have the tools t odistinguish between Truth and Falsehood. You will know, O Muslim, between Truth and Falsehood when you recognise the scholars of the Truth, past and present, and you recognise that their belief is one and their manhaj (methodology) is one regardless of when or where they lived!

So seek the Aid of Allaah through patience and prayer and He will aid you.

And these are the principles that will bring about rectification, and whoever claims to be from the rectifiers, yet opposes these principles - then have no doubt in your mind that he is in reality causing corruption, not rectification.

As Allaah, Mighty and Majestic has said in His Book:
"And when it is said to them: Do not cause corruption in the earth! They say: But we are the rectifiers. Indeed they are the corrupters, but they perceive it not."
(Soorah al-Baqarah:11-12)

All praise is to Allaah, Lord of all creation and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger Muhammad, his family and Companions and all thosewho follow in his Path in piety and righteousness until the Day of Resurection - ameen.

(This article was translated and complied by Abu Khadeejah 'Abdul-Waahid from most of which can be found in the excellent book written by Shaykh Muhammad ibn 'Umar Saalim Baazmool entitled "Bayraqul-Ummah fi Qadaayaa Muhimmah". This article here has been shortened by Yusuf Abdul-Aziz McNulty from the publication "The State of the Ummah, Causes of Weakness and Means for Revival", for the original contact Salafi Publications UK).

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
Asalamu alaykum

masha Allah akhi, this is indeed a beautiful and very beneficial article. Jazak Allahu khayra for sharing.:)

wasalam

Islam!!yay

:salam2:

I like to see the status of the Ummah as our Dark Age. Christians had their Dark Age and Jews even had a longer Dark age. But then later they ended up playing major roles in the world. So yea this is our Dark Age period. And Islam inshAllah will soon have an enlightenment period.

Yusuf1990

al-Inglezi

I like to see the status of the Ummah as our Dark Age. Christians had their Dark Age and Jews even had a longer Dark age. But then later they ended up playing major roles in the world. So yea this is our Dark Age period. And Islam inshAllah will soon have an enlightenment period.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam warahmatullaah,

Indeed the status of the Ummah is a sad one, but as the article points out early on - it has been this way for a long time.

To call this 'Islaam's Dark Age' then that requires further evaluation because the Ummah began to split in the time of the third Khaleefah 'Uthmaan ibn 'Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) with the appearance of the Khuwaarij, which was over 1,300 years ago. So if we go with the statement of 'Islaam's Dark Age' then it has been a very long 'Dark Age' and would have lasted from only a few years after the death of the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alaihi wasalaam) right up until now, many, many generations after the Best of the Muslims (the Salafus-Saalih, may Allaah shower them in His Infinite Mercy).

So this statement isn't correct and there is no 'Dark Age' for Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah, there will only ever be trails, for Ahlus-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah will always prevail due to being upon Haqq (Truth).

Amir_of_spain

I don't consider this the 'dark ages' for Islam/Muslims simply because theres been periods of history where it's been worse, most notably the true dark ages were at the time of the 'Mongol Catastrophe' when the mongol hordes from Asia just came in wiped out the Abbasid Khalifa and killed off entire muslim states including Baghdad, Palestine and Persia. Millions died, 1000s of libraries lost, scholars and scientists killed off, the holy sites were at risk. Today's situation is bad but there is plenty of past events which were worse.

Islam is Noor(a pleasant light) and you will find in the Quran many ayat pertaining to this.

there is no such think as DarkAges for Islam. There will always be Allah's light. Here is my proof:

يُرِيدُونَ لِيُطْفِئُوا نُورَ اللَّهِ بِأَفْوَاهِهِمْ وَاللَّهُ مُتِمُّ نُورِهِ وَلَوْ كَرِهَ الْكَافِرُونَ [٦١:٨]

[Hilali-Khan-0] They intend to put out the Light of Allah (i.e. the religion of Islam, this Qur'an, and Prophet Muhammad Sal-Allaahu 'alayhe Wa Sallam) with their mouths. But Allah will complete His Light even though the disbelievers hate (it). [61:8]

As you can see no matter what happens to the Ummah, Islam will prevail and we never need to worry about that.

so please brothers and sisters, never use the term Dark Ages to Islam.

:wasalam: