This question is harrasing me. please help

muhammadin

assalamu alaikum

One of my non muslim friend asked me this

Prophet Muhammed S.A.W. (PBUH) had a son named Ibrahim from Mariah who was not her wife. And as per Islamic law, it is not permissible. So how come this was done by him?

I m sure, I will get answer from here. I would be really grateful if I can get a proper answer of this question as I cant think of anything except this all the day

thanks

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
w/salams,
Miriah was the slave girl of the Prophet(S.A.W) who was given to him as a gift, In Islam you are allowed slaves althought these days it does not exist.
Salams

sorry had to edit my mistake .salams every one

saffanah

speak good or silent
Wa'alaikumussalam
This is the truth about Mariah (radiallahu anha):

Maria al-Qibtiyya (may Allah be pleased with her) is said to have married the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and certainly everyone gave her the same title of respect as the Prophet's wives, 'Umm al Muminin' 'Mother of the Believers'. Maria was born in upper Egypt of a Coptic father and Greek mother and moved to the court of the Muqawqis when she was still very young. She arrived in Medina to join the Prophet's household just after the Prophet returned from the treaty with Quraish which was contracted at al-Hudaybiyya. Maria gave birth to a healthy son in 9 AH, the same year that his daughter Zaynab died, and the Prophet named his new son Ibrahim, after the ancestor of both the Jews and the Christians, the Prophet from whom all the Prophets who came after him were descended. Unfortunately, when he was only eighteen months old, Ibrahim became seriously ill and died.

Maria was honored and respected by the Prophet and his family and Companions. She spent three years of her life with the Prophet, until his death, and died five years later in 16 AH, (may Allah be pleased with her) For the last five years of her life, she remained a recluse and almost never went out except to visit the grave of the Prophet or her son's grave. After her death, Umar ibn al Khattab led the prayer over her and she was buried in al Baqi.

http://anwary-islam.com/women/pwife_maria.htm

A Kashmiri

First of all brother , you have to understand the times and traditions of that time what was allowed and what wasnt allowed.

It was perfectly all right to have kids from slave women at those ( 1400 years ago) times so there is nothing wrong with Prophet Mohammed S.A.W having a son with Marya Al Qibtiyyah.

Was Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah one of the Mothers of the Believers?
There is no doubt that Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah was the concubine of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she bore him his son Ibraaheem. Can the title of “Mother of the Believers” be given to Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah or not?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah, rather she was a concubine who was given to him by al-Muqawqis, the ruler of Egypt. That took place after the treaty of al-Hudaybiyah. Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah was a Christian, then she became Muslim (may Allaah be pleased with her).

Ibn Sa’d said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lodged her – meaning Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah and her sister – with Umm Sulaym bint Milhaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (S) entered upon them and told them about Islam. He took Mariyah as a concubine and moved her to some property of his in al-‘Awaali… and she became a good Muslim.

Al-Tabaqaat al-Kubra, 1/134-135

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said:

Mariyah died during the caliphate of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab, in Muharram of 16 AH. ‘Umar gathered the people himself to attend her funeral, and he led the funeral prayer for her. She was buried in al-Baqee’.

Al-Isti’aab, 4/ 1912

Mariyah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was one of the Prophet’s concubines, not one of his wives. The Mothers of the Believers are the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The Prophet is closer to the believers than their ownselves, and his wives are their (believers’) mothers (as regards respect and marriage)”

[al-Ahzaab 33:6]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had four concubines, one of whom was Mariyah.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Abu ‘Ubaydah said: He had four (concubines): Mariyah, who was the mother of his son Ibraaheem; Rayhaanah; another beautiful slave woman whom he acquired as a prisoner of war; and a slave woman who was given to him by Zaynab bint Jahsh.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/114

For more information of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – the Mothers of the Believers – please see the answer to question no. 47072

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/47572/Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
salams, sister thank you for the post on Miriah, but she was a slave of the phophet, and yes she was very honoured then and now. By giveing birth to her son , it gave her her freedom.
Barakallahufik for the information

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam Alaikum

Please do not trouble yourself in Islam there is a answer. When you dont know it. It can be found. Allah gave us guidance accordingly Alhumdulilah.
Insha'Allah this will give some guidance. This is from Islam Question and Answers.

fatwa#10382

This is a Question asked by someone:

Ruling on having intercourse with a slave woman when one has a wife
Could you please clarify for me something that has been troubling me for a while. This concerns the right of a man to have sexual relations with slave girls. Is this so? If it is then is the man allowed to have relations with her as well his wife/wives. Also, is it true that a man can have sexual relations with any number of slave girls and with their own wife/wives also? I have read that Hazrat Ali had 17 slave girls and Hazrat Umar also had many. Surely if a man were allowed this freedom then this could lead to neglecting the wife's needs. Could you also tell clarify wether the wife has got any say in this matter.

Here is the Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam allows a man to have intercourse with his slave woman, whether he has a wife or wives or he is not married.

A slave woman with whom a man has intercourse is known as a sariyyah (concubine) from the word sirr, which means marriage.

This is indicated by the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and this was done by the Prophets. Ibraaheem (peace be upon him) took Haajar as a concubine and she bore him Ismaa’eel (may peace be upon them all).

Our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also did that, as did the Sahaabah, the righteous and the scholars. The scholars are unanimously agreed on that and it is not permissible for anyone to regard it as haraam or to forbid it. Whoever regards that as haraam is a sinner who is going against the consensus of the scholars.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphan girls then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (slaves) that your right hands possess. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injustice”

[al-Nisa’ 4:3]

What is meant by “or (slaves) that your right hands possess” is slave women whom you own.
And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet (Muhammad)! Verily, We have made lawful to you your wives, to whom you have paid their Mahr (bridal‑money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), and those (slaves) whom your right hand possesses — whom Allaah has given to you, and the daughters of your ‘Amm (paternal uncles) and the daughters of your ‘Ammaat (paternal aunts) and the daughters of your Khaal (maternal uncles) and the daughters of your Khaalaat (maternal aunts) who migrated (from Makkah) with you, and a believing woman if she offers herself to the Prophet, and the Prophet wishes to marry her a privilege for you only, not for the (rest of) the believers. Indeed We know what We have enjoined upon them about their wives and those (slaves) whom their right hands possess, in order that there should be no difficulty on you. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:50]

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts).

Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess for (then) they are not blameworthy.

But whosoever seeks beyond that, then it is those who are trespassers”
[al-Ma’aarij 70:29-31]

Al-Tabari said:

Allaah says, “And those who guard their chastity” i.e., protect their private parts from doing everything that Allaah has forbidden, but they are not to blame if they do not guard their chastity from their wives or from the female slaves whom their rights hands possess.

Tafseer al-Tabari, 29/84

Ibn Katheer said:

Taking a concubine as well as a wife is permissible according to the law of Ibraaheem (peace be upon him). Ibraaheem did that with Haajar, when he took her as a concubine when he was married to Saarah.

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 1/383

And Ibn Katheer also said:

The phrase “and those (slaves) whom your right hand possesses — whom Allaah has given to you” [al-Ahzaab 33:50] means, it is permissible for you take concubines from among those whom you seized as war booty. He took possession of Safiyyah and Juwayriyah and he freed them and married them; he took possession of Rayhaanah bint Sham’oon al-Nadariyyah and Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah, the mother of his son Ibraaheem (peace be upon them both), and they were among his concubines, may Allaah be pleased with them both.

Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/500

The scholars are unanimously agreed that it is permissible.

Ibn Qudaamah said:

There is no dispute (among the scholars) that it is permissible to take concubines and to have intercourse with one's slave woman, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts).

Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess for (then) they are not blameworthy.”

[al-Ma’aarij 70:29-30]

Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah was the umm walad (a slave woman who bore her master a child) of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she was the mother of Ibraaheem, the son of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), of whom he said, “Her son set her free.” Haajar, the mother of Isma’eel (peace be upon him), was the concubine of Ibraaheem the close friend (khaleel) of the Most Merciful (peace be upon him). ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) had a number of slave women who bore him children, to each of whom he left four hundred in his will. ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) had slave women who bore him children, as did many of the Sahaabah. ‘Ali ibn al-Husayn, al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad and Saalim ibn ‘Abd-Allaah were all born from slave mothers

Al-Mughni, 10/441

Al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Except from their wives or the (women slaves) whom their right hands possess for (then) they are not blameworthy.”

[al-Ma’aarij 70:29-30]

The Book of Allaah indicates that the sexual relationships that are permitted are only of two types, either marriage or those (women slaves) whom one’s right hand possesses.

Al-Umm, 5/43.

The wife has no right to object to her husband owning female slaves or to his having intercourse with them.

And Allaah knows best.

fatwa#45645
Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry Maariyah al-Qibtiyyah, rather she was his concubine. The Muqawqis, the ruler of Egypt, gave her as gift to him after the Treaty of al-Hudaybiyah.

It is permissible to have intercourse with a slave woman, even if she is not Muslim, because she is part of “what one's right hand possesses,” and Allaah has permitted “what one's right hand possesses” without stipulating that the slave woman be a Muslim. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts)

6. Except from their wives or (the slaves) that their right hands possess,.. for then, they are free from blame”

[al-Mu’minoon 23:5-6]

:tti_sister: And Allah Knows Best

Sister (Okti) Amirah80

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam

I think we must have all posted at the same time. But read all in the post to completion, if you do not I will highlight something in my post that I did not see mentioned.

"A slave woman with whom a man has intercourse is known as a sariyyah (concubine) from the word sirr, which means marriage. "

And Allah Knows Best
Sister Amirah80

um_mustafa

sister in Islam
First of all brother , you have to understand the times and traditions of that time what was allowed and what wasnt allowed.

It was perfectly all right to have kids from slave women at those ( 1400 years ago) times so there is nothing wrong with Prophet Mohammed S.A.W having a son with Marya Al Qibtiyyah.

Was Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah one of the Mothers of the Believers?
There is no doubt that Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah was the concubine of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she bore him his son Ibraaheem. Can the title of “Mother of the Believers” be given to Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah or not?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not marry Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah, rather she was a concubine who was given to him by al-Muqawqis, the ruler of Egypt. That took place after the treaty of al-Hudaybiyah. Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah was a Christian, then she became Muslim (may Allaah be pleased with her).

Ibn Sa’d said:

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lodged her – meaning Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah and her sister – with Umm Sulaym bint Milhaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (S) entered upon them and told them about Islam. He took Mariyah as a concubine and moved her to some property of his in al-‘Awaali… and she became a good Muslim.

Al-Tabaqaat al-Kubra, 1/134-135

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said:

Mariyah died during the caliphate of ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab, in Muharram of 16 AH. ‘Umar gathered the people himself to attend her funeral, and he led the funeral prayer for her. She was buried in al-Baqee’.

Al-Isti’aab, 4/ 1912

Mariyah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was one of the Prophet’s concubines, not one of his wives. The Mothers of the Believers are the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The Prophet is closer to the believers than their ownselves, and his wives are their (believers’) mothers (as regards respect and marriage)”

[al-Ahzaab 33:6]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had four concubines, one of whom was Mariyah.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Abu ‘Ubaydah said: He had four (concubines): Mariyah, who was the mother of his son Ibraaheem; Rayhaanah; another beautiful slave woman whom he acquired as a prisoner of war; and a slave woman who was given to him by Zaynab bint Jahsh.

Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/114

For more information of the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – the Mothers of the Believers – please see the answer to question no. 47072

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/47572/Mariyah al-Qibtiyyah

Barakallahufik brother for the information, it goes to show we have to be very careful where we get our information from !

cmelbouzaidi

Assalamu alaikum

Jazak Allahu Khair, I did not know about taking concubines at that time and always thought Maria the Copt was a wife of Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him. Thank you for clarifying this matter.

As I understand that once the complete revelation of Qur'an was complete that slavery was forbidden in Islam, was this practice of concubines also forbidden from then on?

Wassalam

Amir_of_spain

From what i heard Maria was given (gift) to the prophet as a slave girl from the ruler of Egypt, and that the prophet freed and married her, so i doubt she was a concubine at all.

cmelbouzaidi

I got this from islamonline - I am not sure the origin of this site (as sometimes it isn't clear) but for our discussion, here is what it says:

"Maria (may Allah be pleased with her) was not a concubine; she was a slave owned by Egypt’s Christian governor, who offered her and her sister Serine—among other presents—as a “gift of good will” to the Prophet in reply to his envoys inviting him to Islam. On her way from Egypt to Madinah, she was curious to learn about “her new master” and listened to his Companions talk about him. As a result, she became Muslim before meeting Muhammad. Scholars’ opinions vary of her status afterwards; here is the opinion I support:
One of the prominent Al-Azhar scholars, Sheikh Abdul Majid Subh, states:
“Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), instead of taking concubines, entered into lawful marriages based on reason and wisdom. Maria the Copt was given to him as a present, but rather than taking her as a concubine, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) married her, thus elevating her status by marriage.”

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Lets examine what the word concubine means I will present the definition:

Main Entry: con·cu·bine
Pronunciation: \ˈkäŋ-kyu̇-ˌbīn, ˈkän-, -kyü-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin concubina, from com- + cubare to lie
Date: 14th century
: a woman with whom a man cohabits without being married: as a: one having a recognized social status in a household below that of a wife b: mistress 4a

Notice it has more than one meaning. In this case #2 applies.

"One having a recognized social status in a household below that of a wife"

If it says Maariyah was a slave woman wasnt her status lower than Prophet's (PBUH) other wives? Was she on the same level as Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) or Khadija (May Allah be pleased with her)?????

And I posted in my post twice this:

"A slave woman with whom a man has intercourse is known as a sariyyah (concubine) from the word sirr, which means marriage. "And Allah Knows Best
Sister Amirah80:tti_sister:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Oh forgot and in my post I explained Maariyah as being a gift? I know its lengthy but its there. Alhumdulilah
And Allah Know Best
Sister Amirah80

palestine

Servant of Allah
she was also a christian- and muslim men allowed to marry from the people of the book (jews and christians). she was a coptic christian and had a son for the prophet named ibrahim, who died at a young age. she was from egypt and was given to the prophet as a gift. salam.

muhammadin

Strange!

From all replies by u ppl, i conclude that she became prophet saw's concubine after whole Quran was sent. So it means that this tradition is permissible today also!?!?!

By d way, thnks for ur response

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:

Honestly, even though I've wondered about this question myself, I think it's heading towards a dangerous path. There are people presenting proofs that say she was either a concubine or a wife and I'm kind of finding this discomforting. Either way, as a result of my very humanistic limitation that Allah has given all of us, unfortunately the image of a concubine today is not a positive one and associating that with the Prophet PBUH isn't something I feel comfortable with. I have heard in various places that she was a wife of his so I think I'll just stick with that as that is the most respectful way of considering it. I know that whatever she was, the Prophet PBUH never acted without Allah's Blessings so he was right in whatever case. However, as I said, in today's world the word carries a different meaning and unfortunately that's the only meaning I can fathom and therefore I'm going with the benefit of the doubt and maintaining the idea that she was a wife based on many proofs, some of which were posted in this thread.

I hope I made sense.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

In case I was misunderstood I did not intend to be. I just want to clairify one thing because I have said enough on this topic. But I never disputed that Mariyah was the wife of the Prophet (PBUH) and that this was of course legal for the time. What I am doing is giving the definition of a concubine and which one should be taken into consideration and where it originated which comes from marriage. So no one can dispute that this was legal and a marriage. I'm trying to help my brother explain to a non muslim so no one can try to disgrace our Prophet (PBUH) Just to give an example of how this conversation could go with a non muslim could be like this:

non muslim: I heard that your Prophet (PBUH) had a concubine
(trying to imply the Prophet (SAW) committed adultry)

Muslim: No our Prophet (PBUH) or other Prophets (peace be upon them) have never committed sin such as adultry.

non muslim: Whatever then explain

What if you cant explain like this situation. This non muslim could want to know Islam in order to convert or just try to prove to us it's not right. You need to know how to explain it to them properly and accordingly. People may not like the word concubine and it is what it is. But like I said all words come with several meanings. Thats why when Iman's say things they say in these instance this means such and such. Now because people want to use the word only one way is their business that shows there ignorance. To be intelligent you must seek knowledge. This isnt attended specifically to anyone so dont be offended I just dont want anyone to ever think I would think less of our Prophet (SAW) when I know he could never do such a thing as take a concubine and it not be lawful. As far now I dont know if its permissable I am not sure so I will not speak on that. Inshallah you guys understand me.
If you are coming in on the last part please read through all post so you do not misunderstand the postings. Because I posted Several. :)

muhammadin

i dnt know to whom above reply was posted but just in general i wanna say that watever replies came in this, all were satisfactory but the only thing that is still harassing me is how to explain this to a non muslim

our iman is on la ilaha illallah muhammadur rasulullah and we know that Allah subhanu wa ta'la says that all prophets are innocent. they cant do anything wrong. But wen we explain this to non muslim, they think that we are trying to prove a wrong thing 'right'. just because its done by our prophet, we are saying that oh that was allowed in THAT period of time. They ask that, oh ur prophet had so many wives then y he needed a concubine ( :astag: ) and i just dont feel going in arguments wid them. i feel that allah forbid, i will weaken my iman in discussing wid them. so just forget it

But then...
in such situations, they feel that they won and that i gave up because i dont have answer to give n bla bla bla..

And at that time, i feel soooooooooooo down. i feel like, oh.. i cant make ppl respect my religion n let them speak anything. i feel guilty inside.

n so i thot let me get a proper explanation from u ppl. but now i think, i sud not go in details further.

i m really thankful to all of u for ur quick responses. i get replies on watever query i submit here. n im going to send some more and hope to get answers of them too. thanks again

PS: I M NOT A MUSLIM BROTHER, I M A SISTER. I DONT KNOW HOW COME MY ID DESCRIBES THAT IM A MALE.. :shymuslima1: