Tips for my first Ramadan?

Zilliz

I want to revert to Islam and I am preparing to do my first Ramadan.
I know that nothing should pass my lips during the day. I am slightly concerned about being able to do Ramadan, in general and for certain specific reasons.

I am moving to Marrakech, Morocco after the first day of Ramadan (probably Sept 2nd.) I know you do not have to fast when travelling, but what days does this apply to? Do I make up the days and when, or is feeding someone enough?

Also, I am worried because the days are very long in Marrakech and it is very hot there.

Finally, I will be starting a new job 2 days after arriving. I will be teaching kindergarten, so I expect it will be pretty hectic and I am not really sure how I can conserve energy.

I am worried about moving, starting a new job and fasting for the same time all at once.
Please offer me tips for getting through this successfully.
Peace be upon you!

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

If the circumstances do not permit, you do not have to fast during traveling.

If you miss let's say 2 days because of your flight, then you can pick 2 days after Ramadan is finished (not during Eid [the very next day after Ramadan is finished]). I generally try to do it a few days later since my body is used to fasting, so it is easier to do it sooner, rather than later.

So you did not become Muslim yet, but you want to fast?
Your willingness and effort is very admirable! Masallah.

Insallah you may become a Muslim, before Ramadan.

Ramadan is not limited to fasting only.
Prayer, reflections, DIKHR (remeberance of Allah), Taubah (repenting) Zakat, etc..are huge part of the month of Ramadan.

May Allah bring you toward his path with a strong imaan.

:wasalam:

abu'muhammad

I know that nothing should pass my lips during the day. I am slightly concerned about being able to do Ramadan, in general and for certain specific reasons.

I am moving to Marrakech, Morocco after the first day of Ramadan (probably Sept 2nd.) I know you do not have to fast when travelling, but what days does this apply to? Do I make up the days and when, or is feeding someone enough?

Also, I am worried because the days are very long in Marrakech and it is very hot there.

Finally, I will be starting a new job 2 days after arriving. I will be teaching kindergarten, so I expect it will be pretty hectic and I am not really sure how I can conserve energy.

I am worried about moving, starting a new job and fasting for the same time all at once.
Peace be upon you!

sister, Alhamdulillah, to hear from you and do shahada early.

the link could be helpful to you-InshaAllah.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21697/ramadaan

May Allah give us strength in ramadaan.

BinDre

Bored

Peace be upon you!

As a matter of fact fasting is not as hard as non muslim thought. Have you ever missed a lunch due to some circumstances. Did you feel dizziness, chronic stomach cramp and lose your consciousness, maybe but most likely not. But I have a little tips from my personal experience:
1. Do not eat too much at time of sahr, I only eat small amount of carbohydrates an drink plenty of water mix with honey
2. I've been fasting in summer which the temp may reach 38 C, but it's just me I never feels extreme thirst as I feel when I finish my jogging. I feel little weak, my lips dry and my stomach hurts around 5 pm. but that only the first three day of ramadhan
3. the first week of ramadhan for me its the hardest especially the first three day. just bear with it

On another note, it's a custom for muslim family to teach their offspring to fast although not full 30 days, I know some of them teach their 6 year old to fast, so maybe the children will not as active as it used to be.

Try to do voluntary fast in this month, Insya Allah when the time comes fasting will become easy for you.

hassana elkoussi

Dear Zilliz,
If u'r determined on reverting to Islam, then i think u should consider doing it before Ramadan, as u will definitely feel a great deal of tranquility, one that u have never felt before, Ramadan is a very special month in which u feel that all forms of worship are much easier than they are at any other time of the year. So i don't think you should be worried about fasting in the heat of Morocco , or in the company of young kids because Morocco is an Islamic country. Most of the people will be fasting there, the working hours in most Islamic countries are usually shorter and the whole atmosphere will be encouraging to you. Just ask for Allah's support and do it with great conviction that HE'll be there for you.
I wish u the best of luck and may Allah guide to the right path.:SMILY139:

a_brother

Make dua for us all
Hi Zilliz

Morocco!!!, i am from there (currently, living in US)... hope you enjoy your stay there... Marakesh supposed to be HOT, but with some AC you should be okay :p LOL... you'll see different buildings and nice people... there should be many tourists there... one advise, as usual, don't judge of some bad muslims (people trying to practice islam) with Islam (pure religion :) )... lol, be careful if a man tried to "want to get married" with you, he might be interested about ur citizenship than yourself! (unfortunately) < of course, that's not the case with majority... However, Morocco is a beautiful country and their people are sweet :D, hope you enjoy your trip :)

this is a nice ebook about fasting... you can browse the website, it has A LOT of good stuff :D
http://abdurrahman.org/ramadhan/ramadhanfastingqss.html

May Allah make everything easy for you Liz :salah:

ahmed m

asalam....
inshallah ramadan advices will com nearer to the time inshallah.
...with regards to making up your fast when on a journey.you are permitted to not fast on a journey, and inshallah after ramadan you should make it up inshallah.however the length of the journey determines whether you may skip the fast.i will find out and pass on the message to you.
and allah knows best.
may allah make your journey easy for u and may he make it a place you spiritual upliftment. whichever country we may be in, our goals are the same and that is to gain the pleasure of allah. may allah make your path to his pleasure easy for you.

aelshamy

It is not hard as you thought. I live in Medina, And I always see peopleolder than 70 years do voluntary fasting every thurthday and monday while the temperature is 45 C 113 F. here is some tips I hope will help you having easy fasting:
In the breakfast don't drink or eat much in the begining, drink small amount of water or juce but frequently.
Have your main meal after two hours or after traweeh prayer if you will do it. this will allaw your stomach to work gradually.
keep drinking water specialy in the hot weather.
if you dont have problems with blood sugar or blood pressure drink juices and eat sweets all the time and eat pickles in the first hours after breakfast. sugar will give you energy and pickles will compensate the loss of salts, but dont eat pickles late or you will feel thirsty.
Yogurt is very good in sohour (The meal before dawn).
have sohour as late as you can.

Most important, do fasting For the sake of Allah and you will have spiritual feeling you never felt.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Salam...

Mashallah the brothers and sisters have done an awesome job information and tip wise..I just would like you to know one thing...in Ramadhan...your food and water is worship...and unlike food and water which satisfy the two sensations of hunger and thirst...worship satisfies *the spirit*..no food and no water can do that!..Sobhanallah!
Allah (swt) says...*everything that my servant does (i.e. praying..making charity..etc.) is for him (reward wise)..except fasting..it is for Me*...so imagine how Allah (swt) looks at one who fasts for Him..and imagine what he/she can receive from such act!...I recommend that you take Shahada should you be that convinced of Islam..and fast for the sake of Allah as a Muslimah...and you will come through Inshallah!..don't you worry!

adam_arb

As-Salamu Alaykum

SubhanAllah, I have just came back from Marrakech last thursday. So I have spent half of Ramadan there.

The days are tough because of the heat, you will notice not that much street life during the day as evryone stays indoors, and soon after iftar everyone flood the streets.

But what I coincedence that I came back as soon as you were going to leave.

have a nice time there

D.Ahmed

Believer
As-Salamu Alaykum

SubhanAllah, I have just came back from Marrakech last thursday. So I have spent half of Ramadan there.

The days are tough because of the heat, you will notice not that much street life during the day as evryone stays indoors, and soon after iftar everyone flood the streets.

But what I coincedence that I came back as soon as you were going to leave.

have a nice time there

No brother this post was made last year it's just been bought up again :)