To become a Muslim or Not?(1 )

fboutiche

Re: I wanna be muslim but i`m confused

I am not a Muslim………………..yet but I may become one. Someone suggested I was hearing the call, perhaps .But there are few issues I have that I wonder if you guys and gals can help with. So this could be the first in a long line of posts .If I become a Muslim I want to be a good one

Whilst I like mostly what I see and read on this site and similar ones, I go to local mosques and I get the complete cold shoulder not the warm welcome. Local Imams dont speak English .

I enjoy reading the Holy book ( in English ) but then I look at the countries that are supposed to be Islamic ,Pakistan ,Saudi Arabia ,Iran etc I don’t think I would want to live there . It says ‘let there be no compulsion in religion ‘ yet I spend my working days with refugees from so called Islamic countries who seem afraid because they could not choose there own religion or fleeing corrupt rulers .

There is supposed to be one Umma but they cannot even agree when Ramadan starts round here .It seems more about Culture than faith .

It says in the Holy Qu’ran in many ways many times that in unity in belief there is strength ,yet all I see is disunity and chaos .

I don’t see the point of looking at my personal doubts if this big stuff still confuses me .
What do you think?

peace upon who ever want to follow the guidance

Dear brother or sister may Allah guide us all to his path, fist i want to say if you are really looking and seeking the right path and the truth be sure that Allah will guide you to the path, and all what you mentioned in your e-mail is true there is confusion but to let you know there is one Islam not many, and we never judge something by what the people of that organization are doing so Islam is clear, clean and so logical but unfortunately many muslims are not practicing or some of them are innovating mixing culture with the religion and call it Islam, so if you wanna know Islam then don`t look at what the muslims but seek knowledge from the sources and follow what Allah and his prophet said and brought to us, many muslims don`t pray, many are dong wrong things but all this they will be asked for in the judgment day, yet all this won`t change what Islam is, Islam is a religion of peace, love, stability, you may say but look at all what happen within the muslims and i will tell you yes go and ask this individuals are they practicing Islam is Islam is saying that and ask them to show you with proof where it says that, they won`t, trust me they won`t, so what i can advice you is seek knowledge and ask god the guidance.
My name is Fouad and I will be so happy to talk to you inshallah, my e-mail is
fboutiche*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!, I will try my best to help you understand the religion and clear the stuff for you with the help of Allah.
Take care and Allah guide us all the right path.
Peace upon who ever is seeking the truth.

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Thanks for that quick reply. But how does one recognise the straight path when the other 72 say ours is the straight path, the original one . Do I trust my heart and hope (pray?) for a message?
To go back to basics would mean reading the Holy book as it was written in Arabic not practical in the short term as I suspect translating such documents is a life times work so I have to trust someone else ;-(

But who? I am sure that the world is full of sincere and unfortunately not sincere people. I can see the straight path is not necessarily the quickest or the shortest or easiest. I fact I would instinctively distrust anyone who said it would be easy

It is based on the condition if the truth had really reached the person or not ?

And what was his/her reaction after truth became clear to him/her?
If accepted the truth then he will be among the ones who will be counted among successful in the hereafter...

For example, if there is someone in this World to whom the truth of Islaam never reached him...Will he be sent directly to hellfire?
No, according hadith(I don't remeber the refernce)...He will be tested on the day of judgement(similiar to how we are being tested in this world) and if passes that test, we will be among the succesful ones. If he rejects at that time he will go to hellfire.

And brother, remember Allah is going to judge us and he knows perfectly well our circumstances and he is not unjust in the least bit.

So brother the bottomline is, what was our reaction after truth became clear to us...

AllahuAa`lam..Allah knows best.

Sir David

Optimist and Saladin
I always feel sorry for victims .Are we not enjoined to be merciful?
It was the idea of further punishing a victim that I could not understand.
Yes things are not perfect here in the UK and yes there are too many prostitutes I hope UK can soon follow the lead of Sweden and punish the users of prostitutes rather than the pitiful ,pathetic, druggy wretches usually punished. Are they not victims also ? Could this not be a good idea worldwide ?I have worked with such sad people in social services and know what I am talking about .
As for American news stories that has been a host of lies and not even very good ones from day one in Iraq. Any one seen any weapons of mass destruction lately?
Massi
Thanks for your interesting replys and information however I will need to study them carfully as they are not totally clear to me . A victorious group is only know as that after the battle its not clear before.
THanks to everyone for their support and interesting replies

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Hello, Sir David

You've got to be a really big thing in SS to be knighted for it ;)

Of course we should have mercy on victims ... but then ... that's begs the question: who is the victim ?

If you speed with your car and have an accident that leaves you paralysed then you will get lots of sympathy and will be considered a victim. However, this will not reduce your legal responsibility. It is only worse if the accident involved others. On a society level, too much sympathy for "victims" can actually turn in cruelty. Justice is a form of mercy. The woman in that case was execused in the end and rightly so. However, the judiciary was also right to give a signal to the society that irresponsible behaviour will not be tolerated.

The problem in the west is that the woman's modesty and honour is no longer seen as one of her biggest assets so any measure that endeavor to protect them is seen as "oppression". Think about it, prostitution is legal, adultery is promoted (I'm sure a lot of day time TV would fall foul of a "glorifying adultery law" if it existed), promiscuity is seen as "fun" ... etc, etc. I'd argue thaty even rape is tacitly approved and promoted. Think about it, if I raped a woman in a city centre at night then I can provide good defense: I paid her money. The chances are her dress code would be fairly similar to those of prostitutes and giving that she is likely to be drunk she is unlikely to put much physical resistance. The law (and the society) is structured in a way to make women extremely vulnerable while making it extremely difficult to catch a rapist. It is not a surprise that conviction rates for rape are less than 5% in the UK.

I'm all for punishing men who "buy sex" although I don't think this will change much in the current society structure. What is needed is for modesty and honour to be again seen as important and valuable for both men & women. I doubt this will happen soon and I don't even see the efforts for it.

but hang on a second .... all this is actually a diversion ... let's talk about the basics. Faith comes before morals in my book and I think this is the right way to see things. We need to establish the correct faith in ourselves and this will take care of our morals. I will therefore encourage you to look at the basics of faith: the Belief in the one god - Allah (glorified He may be), the belief in the prophets (peace be upon all of them), and the belief in the hereafter. When you are comfortable with these points everything else will fall in place and you will be able to see the overall picture ...

All the best

umm hussain

hie

I understand your frustrations especially with the people not welcoming in the Mosque and I can relate to it as it happened to me and many others but what attracted me and many others to Islam was not politics or the situation of Muslims. The message, doctrine of Islam attracted me to it.

There is a saying amongst some reverts that goes something like 'thank Allah I did not meet/ or come across Muslims before I became Muslim otherwise I probably would have never been one' because of the attitude and state of some of these people however Allah puts people in different situations and there are people who have met Muslims, practising or not so 'practising' ones and have still accepted Islam because their search has more to do with how people are or the politics of Islam but more to do with the oneness of Allah. Once a person understands that in most cases I have come across one does not even go deeper into things they do not understand or concern them because that person begins to understand that Allah indeed is the creator and therefore the lawgiver.

People who do wrong in this life are punished/convicted by the Judge/Jury and can be sentenced to prison or lethal injection and if the lethal injection is not available in that state/country they are punished according to the law of that area they are in. Therefore the same crime done in 2 different places can be judged differently. In this case who is right and who is wrong. I guess Allah as our creator knows what is right and what is wrong therefore he has prescribed certain punishments for certain crimes.

Anyway I hope this following article helps you in your search
FRUSTRATIONS OF A MUSLIM CONVERT
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Dear sir David i really do admire your courage to search for the truth.Truth cant be hidden and i hope that you find the truth.
Dont judge a book by its cover by this i mean the ill-practices of some Muslims and some muslim goverments should not hinder a Person from seeking the truth. There is one path and that is the straight path.Read not only the QURAN but also the life history our beloved prophet(peace be upon him)and his companions and you will understand islam from another perspective

And why should we not believe in Allah and in that which has come to us of the truth (Islamic Monotheism)? And we wish that our Lord will admit us (in Paradise on the Day of Resurrection) along with the righteous people (Prophet Muhammad SAW and his Companions radhiallahu'anhu)." So because of what they said, Allah rewarded them Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise), they will abide therein forever. Such is the reward of good-doers.But those who disbelieved and belied Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they shall be the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire) 5:83-86

I leave you with this

Here are some quotes about Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) as described by some Non-Muslim Intellectuals of their time.

W. Montgomery Watt in 'Muhammad at Mecca,' Oxford, 1953. "The lies (Western slander) which well-meaning zeal has heaped round this man (Muhammad) are disgraceful to ourselves only."
"A silent great soul, one of that who cannot but be earnest. He was to kindle the world, the world’s Maker had ordered so."

A. S. Tritton in 'Islam,' 1951
The picture of the Muslim soldier advancing with a sword in one hand and the Qur'an in the other is quite false.

De Lacy O'Leary in 'Islam at the Crossroads,' London, 1923.
History makes it clear, however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myths that historians have ever repeated.
Gibbon in 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' 1823

The good sense of Muhammad despised the pomp of royalty. The Apostle of God submitted to the menial offices of the family; he kindled the fire; swept the floor; milked the ewes; and mended with his own hands his shoes and garments. Disdaining the penance and merit of a hermit, he observed without effort of vanity the abstemious diet of an Arab.

Reverend Bosworth Smith in 'Muhammad and Muhammadanism,' London, 1874.
"Head of the State as well as the Church, he was Caesar and Pope in one; but he was Pope without the Pope's pretensions, and Caesar without the legions of Caesar, without a standing army, without a bodyguard, without a police force, without a fixed revenue. If ever a man ruled by a right divine, it was Muhammad, for he had all the powers without their supports. He cared not for the dressings of power. The simplicity of his private life was in keeping with his public life."
"In Mohammadanism every thing is different here. Instead of the shadowy and the mysterious, we have history....We know of the external history of Muhammad....while for his internal history after his mission had been proclaimed, we have a book absolutely unique in its origin, in its preservation....on the Substantial authority of which no one has ever been able to cast a serious doubt."

Edward Montet, 'La Propagande Chretienne et ses Adversaries Musulmans,' Paris 1890. (Also in T.W. Arnold in 'The Preaching of Islam,' London 1913.)
"Islam is a religion that is essentially rationalistic in the widest sense of this term considered etymologically and historically....the teachings of the Prophet, the Qur'an has invariably kept its place as the fundamental starting point, and the dogma of unity of God has always been proclaimed therein with a grandeur a majesty, an invariable purity and with a note of sure conviction, which it is hard to find surpassed outside the pale of Islam....A creed so precise, so stripped of all theological complexities and consequently so accessible to the ordinary understanding might be expected to possess and does indeed possess a marvelous power of winning its way into the consciences of men."

Alphonse de LaMartaine in 'Historie de la Turquie,' Paris, 1854.
"Never has a man set for himself, voluntarily or involuntarily, a more sublime aim, since this aim was superhuman; to subvert superstitions which had been imposed between man and his Creator, to render God unto man and man unto God; to restore the rational and sacred idea of divinity amidst the chaos of the material and disfigured gods of idolatry, then existing. Never has a man undertaken a work so far beyond human power with so feeble means, for he (Muhammad) had in the conception as well as in the execution of such a great design, no other instrument than himself and no other aid except a handful of men living in a corner of the desert. Finally, never has a man accomplished such a huge and lasting revolution in the world, because in less than two centuries after its appearance, Islam, in faith and in arms, reigned over the whole of Arabia, and conquered, in God's name, Persia Khorasan, Transoxania, Western India, Syria, Egypt, Abyssinia, all the known continent of Northern Africa, numerous islands of the Mediterranean Sea, Spain, and part of Gaul.
"If greatness of purpose, smallness of means, and astonishing results are the three criteria of a human genius, who could dare compare any great man in history with Muhammad? The most famous men created arms, laws, and empires only. They founded, if anything at all, no more than material powers which often crumbled away before their eyes. This man moved not only armies, legislations, empires, peoples, dynasties, but millions of men in one-third of the then inhabited world; and more than that, he moved the altars, the gods, the religions, the ideas, the beliefs and the souls.
"On the basis of a Book, every letter which has become law, he created a spiritual nationality which blend together peoples of every tongue and race. He has left the indelible characteristic of this Muslim nationality the hatred of false gods and the passion for the One and Immaterial God. This avenging patriotism against the profanation of Heaven formed the virtue of the followers of Muhammad; the conquest of one-third the earth to the dogma was his miracle; or rather it was not the miracle of man but that of reason.
"The idea of the unity of God, proclaimed amidst the exhaustion of the fabulous theogonies, was in itself such a miracle that upon it's utterance from his lips it destroyed all the ancient temples of idols and set on fire one-third of the world. His life, his meditations, his heroic revelings against the superstitions of his country, and his boldness in defying the furies of idolatry, his firmness in enduring them for fifteen years in Mecca, his acceptance of the role of public scorn and almost of being a victim of his fellow countrymen... This dogma was twofold the unity of God and the immateriality of God: the former telling what God is, the latter telling what God is not; the one overthrowing false gods with the sword, the other starting an idea with words.
"Philosopher, Orator, Apostle, Legislator, Conqueror of Ideas, Restorer of Rational beliefs.... The founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?"

Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in 'Young India,'1924.
I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind.... I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet's biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.

Sir George Bernard Shaw in 'The Genuine Islam,' Vol. 1, No. 8, 1936.
"If any religion had the chance of ruling over England, nay Europe within the next hundred years, it could be Islam."
“I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capacity to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. I have studied him - the wonderful man and in my opinion for from being an anti-Christ, he must be called the Savior of Humanity."
"I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness: I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today.”

Sir George Bernard Shaw in 'The Genuine Islam,' Vol. 1, No. 8, 1936.
"If any religion had the chance of ruling over England, nay Europe within the next hundred years, it could be Islam."
“I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capacity to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. I have studied him - the wonderful man and in my opinion for from being an anti-Christ, he must be called the Savior of Humanity."
"I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much needed peace and happiness: I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today.”

Arthur Glyn Leonard in 'Islam, Her Moral and Spiritual Values'
It was the genius of Muhammad, the spirit that he breathed into the Arabs through the soul of Islam that exalted them. That raised them out of the lethargy and low level of tribal stagnation up to the high watermark of national unity and empire. It was in the sublimity of Muhammad's deism, the simplicity, the sobriety and purity it inculcated the fidelity of its founder to his own tenets, that acted on their moral and intellectual fiber with all the magnetism of true inspiration.

Philip K. Hitti in 'History of the Arabs'
Within a brief span of mortal life, Muhammad called forth of unpromising material, a nation, never welded before; in a country that was hitherto but a geographical __expression he established a religion which in vast areas suppressed Christianity and Judaism, and laid the basis of an empire that was soon to embrace within its far flung boundaries the fairest provinces the then civilized world.

Rodwell in the Preface to his translation of the Holy Qur'an
Mohammad's career is a wonderful instance of the force and life that resides in him who possesses an intense faith in God and in the unseen world. He will always be regarded as one of those who have had that influence over the faith, morals and whole earthly life of their fellow men, which none but a really great man ever did, or can exercise; and whose efforts to propagate a great verity will prosper.

W. Montgomery Watt in 'Muhammad at Mecca,' Oxford, 1953.
His readiness to undergo persecution for his beliefs, the high moral character of the men who believed in him and looked up to him as a leader, and the greatness of his ultimate achievement - all argue his fundamental integrity. To suppose Muhammad an impostor raises more problems that it solves. Moreover, none of the great figures of history is so poorly appreciated in the West as Muhammad.... Thus, not merely must we credit Muhammad with essential honesty and integrity of purpose, if we are to understand him at all; if we are to correct the errors we have inherited from the past, we must not forget the conclusive proof is a much stricter requirement than a show of plausibility, and in a matter such as this only to be attained with difficulty.

His readiness to undergo persecution for his beliefs, the high moral character of the men who believed in him and looked up to him as a leader, and the greatness of his ultimate achievement - all argue his fundamental integrity. To suppose Muhammad an impostor raises more problems that it solves. Moreover, none of the great figures of history is so poorly appreciated in the West as Muhammad.... Thus, not merely must we credit Muhammad with essential honesty and integrity of purpose, if we are to understand him at all; if we are to correct the errors we have inherited from the past, we must not forget the conclusive proof is a much stricter requirement than a show of plausibility, and in a matter such as this only to be attained with difficulty.

Washington Irving 'Mahomet and His Successors'
He was sober and abstemious in his diet and a rigorous observer of fasts. He indulged in no magnificence of apparel, the ostentation of a petty mind; neither was his simplicity in dress affected but a result of real disregard for distinction from so trivial a source.
In his private dealings he was just. He treated friends and strangers, the rich and poor, the powerful and weak, with equity, and was beloved by the common people for the affability with which he received them, and listened to their complaints.
His military triumphs awakened no pride nor vain glory, as they would have done had they been effected for selfish purposes. In the time of his greatest power he maintained the same simplicity of manners and appearance as in the days of his adversity. So far from affecting a regal state, he was displeased if, on entering a room, any unusual testimonials of respect were shown to him. If he aimed at a universal dominion, it was the dominion of faith; as to the temporal rule which grew up in his hands, as he used it without ostentation, so he took no step to perpetuate it in his family.

James Michener in ‘Islam: The Misunderstood Religion,’ Reader’s Digest, May 1955, pp. 68-70.
"No other religion in history spread so rapidly as Islam. The West has widely believed that this surge of religion was made possible by the sword. But no modern scholar accepts this idea, and the Qur’an is explicit in the support of the freedom of conscience."
“Like almost every major prophet before him, Muhammad fought shy of serving as the transmitter of God’s word sensing his own inadequacy. But the Angel commanded ‘Read’. So far as we know, Muhammad was unable to read or write, but he began to dictate those inspired words which would soon revolutionize a large segment of the earth: "There is one God"."
“In all things Muhammad was profoundly practical. When his beloved son Ibrahim died, an eclipse occurred and rumors of God 's personal condolence quickly arose. Whereupon Muhammad is said to have announced, ‘An eclipse is a phenomenon of nature. It is foolish to attribute such things to the death or birth of a human being'."
“At Muhammad's own death an attempt was made to deify him, but the man who was to become his administrative successor killed the hysteria with one of the noblest speeches in religious history: ‘If there are any among you who worshiped Muhammad, he is dead. But if it is God you Worshiped, He lives for ever'.”

Lawrence E. Browne in ‘The Prospects of Islam,’ 1944
Incidentally these well-established facts dispose of the idea so widely fostered in Christian writings that the Muslims, wherever they went, forced people to accept Islam at the point of the sword.

K. S. Ramakrishna Rao in 'Mohammed: The Prophet of Islam,' 1989
My problem to write this monograph is easier, because we are not generally fed now on that (distorted) kind of history and much time need not be spent on pointing out our misrepresentations of Islam. The theory of Islam and sword, for instance, is not heard now in any quarter worth the name. The principle of Islam that “there is no compulsion in religion” is well known

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Hi Sir David,
Thanks for your good questions.

I enjoy reading the Holy book ( in English ) but then I look at the countries that are supposed to be Islamic ,Pakistan ,Saudi Arabia ,Iran etc I don’t think I would want to live there . It says ‘let there be no compulsion in religion ‘ yet I spend my working days with refugees from so called Islamic countries who seem afraid because they could not choose there own religion or fleeing corrupt rulers .

First of all, who placed them this dictator leaders?
The countries which are so called democratic(I mean western). They are the ones who place these dictator leaders in the muslim world. Either direct or indirect. I will give an example, who are the allies/closet friend of Saudi Arabia? Ofcourse the is America. Why America, democratic country and who also(America) wants other countries to be democratic, is the big friend of Saudi Arabia dictator government?
May be western or America need the oil thuswhy they have to be close friends.I can allow that and I can say is OK for the sake of oil. Wot about Eypt(Husni Mubarak)? Wot about Pakistan(Musharaf)? Why america are supporting these goverments?
What is amazing is that, despite these dictators leaders the muslims in these countries(muslim world) are able to practise sharia law.

Yes, there are many groups who called themselves ''muslims'' who promote clanism, tribolism, etc. These brothers and sisters are ignorant(not fully emboied in their religion. They are emboied in there culture they grew up with). Islam is a belief to every race. It doesnt mean you say you are a muslim that is it and you earn the paradise. No, brother we have to work for it and passes many test from the Creator. And this is your test, will you follow His Words or will u follow people's unislamic cultures?

Even though there are groups in Islam who divide theselves. There are many things which unity us more than those which divide us.Eg
1.Pray to one God Allah
2.Believe in Prophet Mohammad(saw) and all messengers(peace be upon them all)
3.Believing in Angels
4.Believing in Koran
5.believing in the Day of Judgement.
6.Praying together
7.Reading Quran and praying in the same language that is Arabic.
8.We all face Mekkah when praying
9.Giving charity
10.Going to pilgrimage
11.We all fast
12.We all greet each other in Islamic greetings and that is Assalam aleikum.
13.We all eat halal food.
14.We all dont gamble,taking bank interest, drinking alcohol
15.We can pray in any mosque.
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc
So brother, there are many things which unite us and there things which disunite us, and they need to be address. Some muslims leaders have already address this issue and they are also addresing this issue of disunite. You may not aware of this but I heard many speech from muslim leaders addresing this.

Thank you and Wasalaam.

massi

hi
:SMILY259::SMILY259::SMILY259:

The merits of Islam

Question:
There are many religions.

Why do Muslims think that Islam is true. Is there any factual basis?

Answer:
Praise be to Allah.

This is a reasonable enough question for one who has not entered Islam, but one who believes in and practices this religion already knows the blessings which are his because of this religion. There are many reasons for this, which include the following:

(1) The Muslim worships One God, Who has no partner, and Who has the most beautiful names and the highest attributes. Thus the Muslim’s focus and aim is concentrated, focused on His Lord and Creator; he puts his trust in Him and asks Him for help, patience and support; he believes that Allaah is able to do all things, and has no need of a wife or son. Allaah created the heavens and earth; He is the One Who gives life and death; He is the Creator and Sustainer from Whom the slave seeks provision. He is the All-Hearing Who responds to the supplication of His slave, and from Whom the slave hopes for a response. He is the All-Merciful and All-Forgiving, to Whom the slave turns in repentance when he has committed a sin or fallen short in his worship of Allaah. He is the Omniscient and All-Seeing, who knows all intentions and what is hidden in people’s hearts. The slave feels ashamed to commit a sin by doing wrong to himself or to others, because his Lord is watching over him and sees all that he does. He knows that Allaah is All-Wise, the Seer of the Unseen, so he trusts that what Allaah decrees for him is good; he knows that Allaah will never be unjust to him, and that everything that Allaah decrees for him is good, even if he does not understand the wisdom behind it.

(2) The effects of Islaamic worship on the soul of the Muslim include the following:
Prayer keeps the slave in contact with his Lord; if he enters it in a spirit of humiliation and concentration, he will feel tranquil and secure, because he is seeking a "powerful support," which is Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted. For this reason, the Prophet of Islaam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say: "Let us find relaxation and joy in prayer." If something distressed him, he would hasten to pray. Everyone who finds himself faced with disaster and tries prayer finds strength, patience and consolation, because he is reciting the words of his Lord, which cannot be compared to the effect of the words of a created being. If the words of some psychologists can offer a little comfort, what do you think of the words of the One Who created the psychologist?

Now let us look at zakaat, which is one of the pillars of Islaam. Zakaat purifies the soul from stinginess and miserliness, and accustoms people to being generous and helping the poor and needy. It will bring a great reward on the Day of Resurrection, just like other forms of worship. It is not burdensome, like man-made taxes; it is only 25 in every thousand, which the sincere Muslim pays willingly and does not try to evade or wait until someone chases him for it.

Fasting involves refraining from food and sex. It is a form of worship, and a way in which one can feel the hunger of those who are deprived. It is also a reminder of the blessings of the Creator, and it brings rewards beyond measure.

Hajj is the Pilgrimage to the sacred House of Allaah, which was built by Ibraaheem (Abraham, upon whom be peace). By performing Hajj one is obeying the command of Allaah and the call to come and meet Muslims from all over the world.

(3) Islaam commands all kinds of good and forbids all kinds of evil. It encourages good manners and proper treatment of others. It enjoins good characteristics such as truthfulness, patience, deliberation, kindness, humility, modesty, keeping promises, dignity, mercy, justice, courage, patience, friendliness, contentment, chastity, good treatment, tolerance, trustworthiness, gratitude for favours, and self-control in times of anger. Islaam commands the Muslim to fulfil his duty towards his parents and to uphold family ties, to help the needy, to treat neighbours well, to protect and safeguard the wealth of the orphan, to be gentle with the young and show respect to the old, to be kind to servants and animals, to remove harmful things from the road, to speak kind words, to forgive at the time when one has the opportunity to take revenge, to be sincere towards one’s fellow-Muslims, to meet the needs of the Muslims, to give the debtor time to repay his debt, to prefer others over oneself, to console others, to greet people with a smiling face, to visit the sick, to support the one who is oppressed, to give gifts to friends, to honour his guest, to treat his wife kindly and spend on her and her children, to spread the greeting of peace (salaam) and to seek permission before entering another person’s house, lest one see something private that the other person does not want one to see.

Some non-Muslims may do these things out of politeness or good manners, but they are not seeking reward from Allaah or salvation of the Day of Judgement.

If we look at what Islam has prohibited, we will find that it is in the interests of both the individual and society as a whole. All these prohibitions serve to safeguard the relationship between the slave and his Lord, and the relationship of the individual with himself and with his fellow-man. The following examples demonstrate this:

Islam forbids the association of anything in worship with Allaah and the worship of anything other than Allaah, because this spells doom and misery. Islaam also forbids visiting or believing soothsayers and fortune-tellers; magic or witchcraft that may cause a rift between two people or bring them together; belief in the influence of the stars on events and people’s lives; cursing time, because Allaah is directing its affairs; and superstition, because this is pessimism.

Islam forbids cancelling out good deeds by showing off, boasting or reminding others of one’s favours; bowing or prostrating to anything other than Allaah; sitting with hypocrites or immoral people for the purposes of enjoying their company or keeping them company; and invoking the curse or wrath of Allaah on one another or damning one another to Hell.

Islaam forbids urinating into stagnant water; defecating on the side of the road or in places where people seek shade or where they draw water; from facing the qiblah (direction of prayer) or turning one’s back towards it when passing water or stools; holding one’s penis in one’s right hand when passing water; giving the greeting of salaam (peace) to one who is answering the call of nature; and putting one’s hand into any vessel before washing it, when one has just woken up.

Islaam forbids the offering of any nafl (supererogatory) prayers when the sun is rising, when it is at its zenith, and when it is setting, because it rises and sets between the horns of Shaytaan (Satan); praying when there is food prepared that a person desires; praying when one urgently needs to pass water, stools or wind, because that will distract a person from concentrating properly on his prayer.

Islam forbids the Muslim to raise his voice in prayer, lest it disturb other believers; to continue offering supererogatory prayers at night when one feels drowsy - such a person should sleep then get up; to stay up all night in prayer, especially one night after another; and to stop praying when there is doubt as to the validity of one’s wudoo’ - unless one hears a sound or smells an odour.

Islaam forbids buying, selling and making "lost and found" announcements in the mosque - because it is the place of worship and remembrance of Allaah, where worldly affairs have no place.

Islam forbids haste in walking when the iqaamah (call immediately preceding congregational prayer) is given, and prescribes walking in a calm and dignified manner. It is also forbidden to boast about the cost of building a mosque; to decorate a mosque with red or yellow paint or adornments which will distract the worshippers; to fast day after day without a break; and for a woman to observe a supererogatory fast when her husband is present without his permission.

Islaam forbids building over graves, making them high, sitting on them, walking between them wearing shoes, putting lights over them or writing on them. It is forbidden to disinter the dead or to take graves as places of worship. Islam forbids wailing, tearing one’s clothes or leaving one’s hair unkempt when a person dies. Eulogizing the dead in the manner of the times of Ignorance (Jaahiliyyah) is also forbidden, although there is nothing wrong with informing others that a person has died.

Islaam forbids the consumption of riba (interest); all kinds of selling which involve ignorance (of the product), misleading and cheating; selling blood, wine, pork, idols and everything that Allaah has forbidden - their price, whether bought or sold - is haraam; najash, which is offering a price for something one has no intention of buying, as happens in many auctions; concealing a product’s faults at the time of selling; selling something which one does not own or before it comes into one’s possession; undercutting, outbidding or out bargaining another; selling produce before it is clear that it is in good condition and free of blemish; cheating in weights and measures; and hoarding. A partner who has shares in a plot of land or a date palm tree is forbidden to sell his share without consulting his partners. It is forbidden to consume the wealth of orphans unjustly; to bet or gamble; to take anything by force; to accept or offer bribes; to steal people’s wealth or to consume it unjustly; to take something for the purpose of destroying it; to undermine the value of people’s possessions; to keep lost property which one has found, or to keep quiet about it and not announce it, for it belongs to the one who recognizes it; to cheat in any way; to ask for a loan with no intention of repaying it; to take anything of the wealth of a fellow-Muslim, unless it is given freely, because what is taken because of another person’s shyness is haraam; and to accept a gift because of intercession.

Celibacy and castration are forbidden, as is marrying two sisters, or a woman and her aunt (paternal or maternal), whether he marries the aunt after marrying her niece or vice versa, for fear of breaking the ties of kinship. It is forbidden to make deals in marriage, such as saying "Let me marry your daughter and I will give you my daughter or sister in marriage." Such reciprocal deals are a form of oppression and injustice, and haraam. Islaam forbids mut’ah (temporary marriage), which is a marriage contract for a period of time agreed by the two parties, at the end of which the marriage expires. Islaam forbids intercourse with a menstruating woman, until she has purified herself (by taking a bath after her period ends), and also forbids anal intercourse. A man is forbidden to propose marriage to a woman when another man has already proposed to her, unless the other man withdraws his proposal or gives him permission. It is forbidden to marry a previously-married woman without consulting her, or a virgin without seeking her permission. It is forbidden to wish (a newly married couple) "Bi’l-rafaa’ wa’l-baneen (a joyful life and many sons)," because this is the greeting of the people of Jaahiliyyah, who hated daughters. The divorced woman is forbidden to conceal what Allaah has created in her womb (if she is pregnant). A husband and wife are forbidden to speak (to others) about the intimacies of married life. It is forbidden to turn a woman against her husband or to take divorce lightly. It is forbidden for a woman to ask for another’s divorce, such as asking a man to divorce a woman so that she can marry him. A wife is forbidden to spend her husband’s money without his permission, or to keep away from his bed without good reason, because the angels will curse her if she does that. A man is forbidden to marry his father’s wife, or to have intercourse with a woman who is pregnant from another man. It is forbidden for a man to practise ‘azl (coitus interruptus) with his free wife without her permission. It is forbidden for a man to return home from a journey late at night and startle his family, unless he has previously notified them when he will arrive home. A man is forbidden to take anything of his wife’s mahr (dowry) without her consent, or to keep annoying his wife so that she will give up her wealth.

Islaam forbids women to make a wanton display of themselves (tabarruj). It also forbids extreme forms of female circumcision. Women are forbidden to admit anyone into their husband’s home without his permission; his general permission is acceptable so long as they stay within the limits of sharee’ah. It is forbidden to separate a mother and child (in case of divorce); to let one’s womenfolk behave foolishly (in an immoral fashion) and not say anything; to let one’s gaze wander everywhere; and to follow an accidental glance with an intentional glance.

Islaam forbids the eating of dead meat, regardless of whether it died by drowning, strangulation, shock or falling from a high place; eating blood, pork and anything slaughtered in a name other than that of Allaah or for idols; eating the flesh or drinking the milk of beasts that feed on filth and waste matter; eating the flesh of every carnivorous beast that has fangs and every bird that has talons; eating the meat of domesticated donkeys; killing animals by keeping them and throwing stones at them until they die, or detaining them without food until they die; slaughtering with teeth or nails; slaughtering one animal (for food) in front of another; or sharpening the knife in front of the animal to be slaughtered.

In the area of clothing and adornment, men are forbidden the extravagance of wearing gold. Muslim are forbidden to be naked or to expose their thighs; to leave their clothes long (below the ankles) and trail them on the ground for the purpose of showing off; and to wear clothes that will attract attention.

It is forbidden to bear false witness; to make false accusations against a chaste believing woman; to accuse someone who is innocent; to utter lies; to slander and backbite; to call people by offensive nicknames; to spread gossip and malicious slander; to make fun of the Muslims; to boast about one’s status; to shed doubts on a person’s lineage; to utter slander, insults and obscenities; to speak in an indecent or rude manner; or to utter evil in public, except by one who has been wronged.

Islaam forbids telling lies; one of the worst kinds of lie is to lie about dreams, like fabricating dreams and visions in order to prove one’s virtue, or make some material gains, or to frighten an enemy.

Muslims are forbidden to praise themselves, or to talk in a secret way: two may not converse secretly to the exclusion of a third, because this is offensive. It is forbidden to curse a believer or someone who does not deserve to be cursed.

Islaam forbids speaking ill of the dead; praying for death; wishing for death because of some suffering that one is passing through; praying against one’s self, one’s children, one’s servants or one’s wealth.

Muslims are told not to eat the food that is directly in front of others or to eat from the centre of the dish or platter; rather they should eat from what is directly in front of them or thereabouts, because the barakah (blessing) comes in the middle of the food. It is forbidden to drink from a broken edge of a vessel, because this could cause harm; or to drink from the mouth of a vessel; or to breathe into it. It is forbidden to eat while lying on one’s stomach; to sit at a table where wine is being drunk; to leave a fire burning in one’s house when one sleeps; to sleep with Ghamr in one’s hand, like an offensive smell or the remainder of food (grease); to sleep on one’s stomach; or to talk about or try to interpret bad dreams, because these are tricks of the Shaytaan.

It is forbidden to kill another person except in cases where it is right to do so; to kill one’s children for fear of poverty; to commit suicide; to commit fornication, adultery or sodomy (homosexuality); to drink wine, or even to prepare it, carry it from one place to another, or sell it. Muslims are forbidden to please people by angering Allaah; to offend their parents or even to say "Uff" (the slightest word of contempt) to them; to claim that a child belongs to anyone but his real father; to torture by means of fire; to burn anyone, alive or dead, with fire; to mutilate the bodies of the slain; to help anyone commit falsehood; or to cooperate in wrongdoing and sin.

It is forbidden to obey any person by disobeying Allaah; to swear falsely; to swear a disastrous oath; to eavesdrop on people without their permission; to invade people’s privacy or look at their private parts; to claim something that does not belong to one or that one did not do, for the purpose of showing off; to look into someone’s else’s house without permission; to be extravagant; to swear an oath to do something wrong; to spy on others or be suspicious about righteous men and women; to envy, hate or shun one another; to persist in falsehood; to be arrogant or feel superior; to be filled with self-admiration; to be pleased with one’s arrogance. Islam forbids taking back one’s charity, even if one pays to get it back; employing someone to do a job without paying him his wages; being unfair in giving gifts to one’s children; bequeathing everything in one’s will and leaving one’s heirs poor - in such a case the will should not be executed; writing a will that concerns more than one third of one’s legacy; being a bad neighbour; or changing a will to the detriment of one or some of one’s heirs. A Muslim is forbidden to forsake or shun his brother for more than three days, except for a reason sanctioned by sharee’ah; to hold small stones between two fingers and throw them because this could cause injury to eyes or teeth; to include his heirs in a will, because Allaah has already given heirs their rights of inheritance; to disturb his neighbour; to point a weapon at his Muslim brother; to hand someone an unsheathed sword, lest it harm him; to come (walk) between two people except with their permission; to return a gift, unless there is some shar’i objection to it; to be extravagant; to give money to foolish people; to wish to be like someone to whom Allaah has given more of something; to cancel out his charity by giving offensive reminders of his giving; to wilfully conceal testimony; or to oppress orphans or scold one who asks for help or money. It is forbidden to treat with evil medicines, because Allaah would not create a cure for this ummah which includes something that He has forbidden. It is forbidden to kill women and children in warfare; to boast to one another; or to break promises.

Islaam forbids betraying a trust; asking for charity that one does not need; alarming a Muslim brother or taking away his possessions, whether jokingly or seriously; changing one’s mind after giving a gift, except in the case of a gift from a father to his child; practising medicine without experience; or killing ants, bees and hoopoe birds. A man is forbidden to look at the ‘awrah (private parts) of another man, and a woman is forbidden to look at the ‘awrah of another woman. It is forbidden to sit between two people without their permission; or to greet only those whom one knows, because the greeting is to be given to those whom you know and those whom you do not know. A Muslim is forbidden to let an oath come between him and good deeds; he should do what is good and make expiation for the oath. It is forbidden to judge between two disputing parties when one is angry, or to judge in favour of one party without hearing what the other has to say. It is forbidden for a man to walk through the market-place carrying something - like a sharp weapon - that could harm the Muslims, unless it is properly covered. A Muslim is forbidden to make another person get up, so that he can take his place.

There are more commands and prohibitions which came for the benefit and happiness of individuals and mankind as a whole. Have you ever seen any other religion that can compare to this religion?

Read this response again, then ask yourself: is it not a great pity that I am not one of them? Allaah says in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): "And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

Finally, I hope that everyone who reads this will be guided to the correct way and to follow the truth. May Allaah protect you and us from all evil.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

palestine

Servant of Allah
salam sir david. from reading your post you want to become a muslim, yet you are shocked by the acts of the people who claim to be Muslims. Firstly the Muslim countries are lead by many leaders who are not righteous. They are Muslim by name but have not followed the law of Allah the way it's supposed to be. The muslims who give you a cold shoulder are probably just afraid or not used to people of your culture. you're definitely right that many are disunited and quarrel about ramadan and many other things. to be honest whether Muslim or non muslim people have the title of a Muslim, yet they don't practice the religion, rather they practice culture which is wrong. There are however those kind muslims who try to be welcoming, and who try to unite the ummah....but it has not happened yet. Just a suggestion...don't look at the Muslims, Look at the religion. what i mean is don't study the Muslims, study Islam. If you like what Islam says then take it, but don't follow the Muslims. Because like christians or jews many Muslims are not practicing or are either ignoring the call of Allah which they might not of have realized yet. If you truly believe that there is one God and that Muhammad is his messenger than go ahead and become a Muslim. Also study the days of prophet Muhammad, i can assure you ...you will be surprised. anyways i hope you will see the truth of Islam and i hope you won't hestitate because of the actions of Muslims. May you see the truth of Islam. ameen. salam sir david.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The bottom line of becoming Muslim is your soul. Life is eternal. Islam is logical and rational, it makes sense.
Once you have reverted Allah subhana talla will fill your life with the brothers and sisters so some of the strangeness will vanish.
Islam is more than language. Once you start praying with others the barriers of language will lessen.
The call is from Allah subhana talla and none other. Take the first step and we will all join you for the second.

cup of islam

Dear Brother

Being a revert into islam just this past New years of 2008 i know what your going through it can be very Challenging and discourging when you feel like no one is there to help. Be patient it only gets better one day i went to the mosque and was sitting on the side when one of the sisters came up to me and said... sister ive never seen you here before did you just move here? I said no "Im new to islam" ( not thinking i was going to find anyone that spoke english or even lectures that were in english) and Mashallah theres more than i could of asked for hamdillah

I live in a non muslim country and hamdillah Im doing fine
Embrace islam one thing at a time... and inshallah you will see and feel the difference I know how alone you can feel and you wish you had all the answers to your questions but allah will make things easier on you inshallah he already opened your heart in learning about islam . You take one step closer you allah he takes a thousand steps closer to you.

your sister,
Amanda

najbc

:SMILY259: I hope you are doing well. I understand where you are coming from in away but i am born Muslim. Anyway, as perfect as Islam and its teaching are Muslims are not. You have keep in mind that Muslim are the same as everyone else, act the same as everyone. But that does not mean Islam teach that. I love my religion and something some of the Muslims I see I question what part of the Muslim they are. And not everyone is going to be friendly to you. It is true that it is more culture than Islam with some Muslims. But it is up to you, if you are going to let those people or things confusing you and stop you from seeing what is right or believing in the right religion. Hey, good lucky with everything and I deeply hope that everything works out for you and that soon insuallah Allah will guide you to the right path.

Bye and look answer in the qurran and deep in your heart and not your surrounding!

cup of islam

Dear Brother

Being a revert into islam just this past New years of 2008 i know what your going through it can be very Challenging and discourging when you feel like no one is there to help. Be patient it only gets better one day i went to the mosque and was sitting on the side when one of the sisters came up to me and said... sister ive never seen you here before did you just move here? I said no "Im new to islam" ( not thinking i was going to find anyone that spoke english or even lectures that were in english) and Mashallah theres more than i could of asked for hamdillah

I live in a non muslim country and hamdillah Im doing fine
Embrace islam one thing at a time... and inshallah you will see and feel the difference I know how alone you can feel and you wish you had all the answers to your questions but allah will make things easier on you inshallah he already opened your heart in learning about islam . You take one step closer you allah he takes a thousand steps closer to you.

your sister,
Amanda

Min-Fadhli-Rabii

Salaam,

The bottom line of becoming Muslim is your soul. Life is eternal. Islam is logical and rational, it makes sense.
Once you have reverted Allah subhana talla will fill your life with the brothers and sisters so some of the strangeness will vanish.
Islam is more than language. Once you start praying with others the barriers of language will lessen.
The call is from Allah subhana talla and none other. Take the first step and we will all join you for the second.

thanks sister Mirjamom...Mash'Allah for your welcome.

user expired!

Hi Sir David,

Brother dont Judge Islam by Muslims, But Islam is Islam and Muslims are Muslims.

Many of the Muslims countries have their own Problems from Poverty to injustice to racism but this doesnt reflect Islam. ISlam is perfect but the muslims are not!

Islam is a way of life, and its core being submitting ones will to Allah! We should act by trying to please Allah and Him alone, our Creator, Our Lord and Sustainer.

The questions you should be asking is not 'why muslims are so disunited ?' but why have i not submitted to the Islam?' is Shaytan trying to deter you?

i say this because it sounds like you are already Muslim by believing in Allah but just lacking that extra edge to go the whole way! Just be sincere and Ask Allah for Guidance! and rely on Him!

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Hi there,

Don't judge a book by its cover. In this case we the Muslimare the cover of Islam(THE BOOK). I leave this to the other sisters and brothers who are doing good job but i do wish you the best of luck.

massi

You have to do it: do it and don’t hesitate

Question:
Hello, I'm a 27 year old student from Bloomington, Indiana in the United States. I have discovered through many months of careful study and furious debate with the Christianity I was raised with that Islam is no doubt the clear, complete, and true word of the Almighty God. I had a furious struggle with Jesus but as I began to look upon his actual words in my new testament I found that they were completely, 100% in line with the Qur'an! I have not taken shahada and to be honest, I'm still a bit hesitant to. It is hard to describe the feeling one has toward the Christian faith after it's been drilled into you from the time of your birth for a solid quarter of a century. I am taking arabic classes this summer and am planning to enroll at Cales in sana'a in Yemen next summer for further study. My question is do I really need to take the final step because the Qur'an says that Christians who are dutiful will receive their reward. I question my ability to adhere to all the elements of Shari'a. The prayers, the mannerisms, the relationships with women, diets, etc. Is it necessary that I take this step and if I did, would I have to take an Islamic name, or is that simply receomended? Following that, would the name Ishmael be appropriate? Thank you

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We appreciate your question and your efforts in studying and researching very much, especially since you have achieved such great and true results. Although we believe most strongly that it is essential to become Muslim and that Islam is the only religion which Allaah will accept, because He revealed it as the final religion and way, we do understand something of the difficulty involved in leaving that which one is used to. But the wise person knows that he has to follow the truth even if it becomes clear to him after many years and even if he grew up in a different way. Hence Allaah condemned those who refused to follow the truth because they were following the ways of their forefathers. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"And when it is said to them: "Come to what Allaah has revealed and unto the Messenger (Muhammad for the verdict of that which you have made unlawful)." They say: "Enough for us is that which we found our fathers following," even though their fathers had no knowledge whatsoever and nor guidance" [al-Maa'idah 5:104]
"And when it is said to them: "Follow that which Allaah has sent down", they say: "Nay, we shall follow that which we found our fathers (following)." (Would they do so) even if Shaytaan (Satan) invites them to the torment of the Fire?" [Luqmaan 31:21]
"And similarly, We sent not a warner before you (O Muhammad) to any town (people) but the luxurious ones among them said: "We found our fathers following a certain way and religion, and we will indeed follow their footsteps." (The warner) said: "Even if I bring you better guidance than that which you found your fathers following?" [al-Zukhruf 43:23-24]

The matter will not be too difficult for you - in sha Allaah (if Allaah wills) - for indeed if you believe in Islaam you will be believing in all of the previous Prophets, and you will be believing in the Divine Books. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"O you who believe! Believe in Allaah, and His Messenger (Muhammad), and the Book (the Qur'aan) which He has sent down to His Messenger, and the Scripture which He sent down to those before (him); and whosoever disbelieves in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, then indeed he has strayed far away" [al-Nisa' 4:136]

If you become Muslim, you will not be cut off from the sound roots, for every Muslim believes in the Messiah 'Eesa (Jesus) - peace be upon him - as a Prophet and Messenger, and he believes in the true Gospel - before it was distorted - as a Book that was revealed by Allaah. Maybe it will encourage you to know that everyone who used to believe in 'Eesa and then believes in Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) will have the reward twice. Hence when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent his letter to Heraclius, the Christian ruler of Byzantium, inviting him to Islam, he said:
"In the Name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. From Muhammad the slave and Messenger of Allaah, to Heraclius the ruler of Byzantium. Peace be upon those who follow true guidance. I invite you with the call of Islam. Become Muslim and you will be safe. Become Muslim and Allaah will give you your reward twice, but if you refuse, then the sin of the husbandmen will be upon you. 'Say (O Muhammad): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allaah (Alone), and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allaah. Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims." [Aal 'Imraan 64 - interpretation of the meaning]." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 2723)

The Prophet of Islam, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "There are three who will be given their reward twice: a man from among the People of the Book who believed in his Prophet, then when he comes to know of the Prophet [Muhammad] (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then he believes in him and follows him; he will have two rewards…" (The hadeeth was narrated by Muslim, 219).

On the basis of the above, the answer to your question is: yes, it is very important, indeed essential, for you to take this step which will change your life, bringing you a life of joy and tranquillity through being close to Allaah and believing in His Oneness (Tawheed), having the pleasure of worshipping and remembering Him, and earning reward by obeying Him and saving these rewards for the Day when man will need every single reward:
"On the Day when every person will be confronted with all the good he has done, and all the evil he has done, he will wish that there were a great distance between him and his evil. And Allaah warns you against Himself (His punishment) and Allaah is full of kindness to (His) slaves" [Aal 'Imraan 3:30 - interpretation of the meaning]

With regard to your name, if it has no meanings that involve Shirk (associating others with Allaah) or Kufr (disbelief), then it is permissible for you to keep your name. The name Ismaa'eel (Ishmael) is very suitable; how could it be otherwise when Ismaa'eel was a Prophet of Allaah of whom Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"And mention in the Book (the Qur'aan) Ismaa'eel (Ishmael). Verily, he was true to what he promised, and he was a Messenger, (and) a Prophet. And he used to enjoin on his family and his people As-Salaat (the prayers) and the Zakaat, and his Lord was pleased with him" [Maryam 19:54-55]

We ask Allaah to help us and you to do that which He loves and which pleases Him, and to guide us to the Straight Path, for Allaah guides whom He wills and He knows best those who are guided.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

:lol::lol::lol:

mezeren

Thanks for that quick reply. But how does one recognise the straight path when the other 72 say ours is the straight path, the original one . Do I trust my heart and hope (pray?) for a message?
To go back to basics would mean reading the Holy book as it was written in Arabic not practical in the short term as I suspect translating such documents is a life times work so I have to trust someone else ;-(

But who? I am sure that the world is full of sincere and unfortunately not sincere people. I can see the straight path is not necessarily the quickest or the shortest or easiest. I fact I would instinctively distrust anyone who said it would be easy

i think the point is one should never stop questioninig.islam is not afraid of questions becouse it has all the correct answers.most people who go astray are those who never use their own brain.they follow someone and never question what they say.u should question any opinion according to Quran and Sunnah.
72 looks big in number but most muslim follow the straight path.that does not mean they are doing good enough.İslam is perfect but muslims are not.the more knowledge anyone gets about islam the better he/she gets.our problem as muslims all over the world is lack of knowledge.being sincere is not enough you should use your brain that Allah has given you as well.
so read,read and read.
if you are open minded and sincere you will find the straight path.i hope you find some one with knowledge who speaks english also you can get the information via internet.

al-muslimah

Hello sir David!

Welcome to this site. You'll find it benificial and informative. Hope you find what you are looking for and may Allah bless you.

Islam is perfect, muslims are not!

May Allah guide you to the right path.
Wish you all th best!

massi

At whose hand should change be wrought at a time when the situation of the Muslims contradicts the greatness of their religion?

Question:
This is universal truth that islam is the only religion which is based on justice and solves the problem of humanity especially in the present scenario it is the duty of all muslims to struggle and implement this so that humanity can prosper but unfortunately the muslims have gone to the lowest of the ladder don,t u think ALLAH can choose some other nation to bring the reqd changes because we muslims are behaving hypocritically.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is no doubt concerning the universal truth that you have mentioned. Justice between people is a general principle of sharee’ah which applies to everyone, both believer and non-believer, those whom we love and those whom we hate. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allaah as just witnesses; and let not the enmity and hatred of others make you avoid justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety; and fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is Well‑Acquainted with what you do”

[al-Maa'idah 5:8]

“So unto this (religion of Islam alone and this Qur’aan) then invite (people) (O Muhammad), and stand firm (on Islamic Monotheism) as you are commanded, and follow not their desires but say: “I believe in whatsoever Allaah has sent down of the Book [all the holy Books, this Qur’aan and the Books of the old from the Tawraat (Torah), or the Injeel (Gospel) or the Pages of Ibraaheem (Abraham)] and I am commanded to do justice among you. Allaah is our Lord and your Lord. For us our deeds and for you your deeds. There is no dispute between us and you. Allaah will assemble us (all), and to Him is the final return”

[al-Shoora 42:15]

There is also no doubt that mankind has no hope of being saved from its problems or of being guided and saved from misguidance except through this religion. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Such is Allaah, your Lord in truth. So after the truth, what else can there be, save error? How then are you turned away?”

[Yoonus 10:32]

“And if the people of the towns had believed and had the Taqwa (piety), certainly, We should have opened for them blessings from the heaven and the earth, but they belied (the Messengers). So We took them (with punishment) for what they used to earn (polytheism and crimes)”

[al-A’raaf 7:96]

It is not only that mankind will not prosper if they follow this religion and will be corrupted if they forsake it, because of its justice which encompasses all creatures, rather the most fundamental principles that will enable mankind to prosper is the principle of pure Tawheed, the belief that the Lord of the Worlds is One, on which this religion is based. So there is no submission to any angel or jinn, or to any human being or rock. Just as there cannot be more than one creator for this universe, so too there cannot be more than one controller, who is Allaah, may He be glorified. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed, your Lord is Allaah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He rose over (Istawa) the Throne (really in a manner that suits His Majesty). He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His Command. Surely, His is the creation and commandment. Blessed is Allaah, the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!”

[al-A’raaf 7:54]

“Had there been therein (in the heavens and the earth) aalihah (gods) besides Allaah, then verily, both would have been ruined. Glorified be Allaah, the Lord of the Throne, (High is He) above all that (evil) they associate with Him!”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:22]

Mankind’s deviation from this great principle is the greatest cause of the confusion and misguidance in which they are living and the misery that has overtaken them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘Shall we invoke others besides Allaah (false deities), that can do us neither good nor harm, and shall we turn back on our heels after Allaah has guided us (to true Monotheism)? — like one whom the Shayaateen (devils) have made to go astray in the land in confusion, his companions calling him to guidance (saying): Come to us.’ Say: ‘Verily, Allaah’s Guidance is the only guidance, and we have been commanded to submit (ourselves) to the Lord of the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)’”

[al-An’aam 6:71]

“But whosoever turns away from My Reminder (i.e. neither believes in this Qur’aan nor acts on its teachings) verily, for him is a life of hardship, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Resurrection.”

125. He will say: ‘O my Lord! Why have you raised me up blind, while I had sight (before).’

126. (Allaah) will say: ‘Like this: Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) came unto you, but you disregarded them (i.e. you left them, did not think deeply in them, and you turned away from them), and so this Day, you will be neglected (in the Hell‑fire, away from Allaah’s Mercy).’

127. And thus do We requite him who transgresses beyond bounds [i.e. commits the great sins and disobeys his Lord (Allaah) and believes not in His Messengers, and His revealed Books, like this Qur’aan], and believes not in the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of his Lord; and the torment of the Hereafter is far more severe and more lasting”

[Ta-Ha 20:124-127]

By Allaah’s wisdom, there are two types of people: believers and disbelievers, obedient and disobedient, and by His wisdom the one is checked by means of the other. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if Allaah did not check one set of people by means of another, the earth would indeed be full of mischief. But Allaah is full of bounty to the ‘Aalameen (mankind, jinn and all that exists)”

[al-Baqarah 2:251]

“For had it not been that Allaah checks one set of people by means of another, monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, wherein the Name of Allaah is mentioned much would surely, have been pulled down. Verily, Allaah will help those who help His (Cause). Truly, Allaah is All‑Strong, All‑Mighty”

[al-Hajj 22:40]

Allaah is most wise in that, for He distinguishes the sincere from the liar, so that Allaah may know who will support Him (His cause) and His Messengers, and who will oppose Him and wage war against Him. This is the reason behind trials in this life:

“but if it had been Allaah’s Will, He Himself could certainly have punished them (without you). But (He lets you fight) in order to test some of you with others. But those who are killed in the way of Allaah, He will never let their deeds be lost”

[Muhammad 47:4]

What you have referred to, the fact that many Muslims have gone astray from the teachings of their religion, is true of most Muslims today, except for those on whom their Lord has mercy, the saved group who adhere to the truth. This is the greatest trial that we are faced with at this time, and it is the cause of the weakness and humiliation that the Muslims are suffering from, and their being dominated by their enemies. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When you enter into the ‘aynah transaction, hold onto the tails of oxen, are content with agriculture, and give up jihad, Allaah will cause disgrace to prevail over you, and will not withdraw it until you return to your (true) religion.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 3462; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Saheehah, 11.

Allaah has warned His slaves in more than one verse of His Book, of the punishment for being negligent with regard to their religion and of being careless with regard to the trust that He has placed on their shoulders. He has warned them that the consequences of that will come back on them, and the loss will be theirs. As for the religion of Allaah, it is protected by Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Muhammad is no more than a Messenger, and indeed (many) Messengers have passed away before him. If he dies or is killed, will you then turn back on your heels (as disbelievers)? And he who turns back on his heels, not the least harm will he do to Allaah; and Allaah will give reward to those who are grateful”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:144]

When the lazy generation moves on, those who away from the battlefield and neglected their trust, then will come the turn of those who are chosen for this mission, whom Allaah has honoured by entrusting them with His religion:

“O you who believe! Whoever from among you turns back from his religion (Islam), Allaah will bring a people whom He will love and they will love Him; humble towards the believers, stern towards the disbelievers, fighting in the way of Allaah, and never fear of the blame of the blamers. That is the Grace of Allaah which He bestows on whom He wills. And Allaah is All‑Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All‑Knower”

[al-Maa'idah 5:54]

“Behold! You are those who are called to spend in the Cause of Allaah, yet among you are some who are niggardly. And whoever is niggardly, it is only at the expense of his ownself. But Allaah is Rich (Free of all needs), and you (mankind) are poor. And if you turn away (from Islam and the obedience to Allaah), He will exchange you for some other people and they will not be your likes”

[Muhammad 47:38]

But we reiterate that this new generation will be from among the Muslims themselves, not from any other nation. There will not be angels who come down to take up the mission that people have neglected.

There will not be a miracle that makes lazy people victorious. And there will never be a generation among the kuffaar who support the religion of Allaah. Allaah and His religion have no supporters and helpers except the pious. When that generation comes, then will come the help of Allaah:

“O you who believe! If you help (in the cause of) Allaah, He will help you, and make your foothold firm”

[Muhammad 47:7]

It is up to us to renew ourselves, to train our children and families, to call others, so that we will be part of this generation or at least a step in the right direction.

We ask Allaah to help us to do that which He loves and which pleases Him and to support His religion through us. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A:):):)