To generalize!!! is it a human problem?

septithol

Banned
How is it that Violent wasting, is a sin and not a crime? ?.

Dear, it is a literary reference. In the book written by Dante, The Inferno, which is set in Hell, there was a particular circle of Hell which was for the punishment of people who committed the sin of being a 'Violent Waster'. What this was, was a tradition that existed in Europe at the time (when Dante wrote the book), in which wealthy people, in order to sort of brag about how wealthy they were, would take some of their money and goods, and publicly burn them in a large fire. In order to sort of brag via this act about how wealthy they were, that they could afford do this.

Septithol, one of most serious crime is to waste. Developed countries do it in excess, even now, right now at this moment. There is no second positive opinion about that. Ask the rest of the 4 billion humans. Another crime , is to manufacture and invest time and money on weapons. That alone has been the biggest shot in arm of Developed countries, to bully rest of world. Yes the developed countries can be proud of these crimes and nothing more.

You'll get no argument from me about the wasting. In fact, I'm probably far more aware of the wasting of food and goods in the US than you are. I have, in fact, gotten into trouble a few times with the police for 'stealing' the precious garbage of people and stores, and either using it myself, or giving it to poor people, because the asshats would rather have their precious garbage wind up in a landfill and be destroyed, than let anyone else get some use out of it.

Regarding weapons, there are good uses for some weapons. Guns are often used to fend off criminals. A nuclear bomb could possibly be used to divert a large asteroid from hitting the earth.

As for your assertion that waste and weapon making are the sole accomplishments of developed countries, shall I take it that you don't have any lightbulbs in your house? Thomas Edison was an American.

Septithol, so by stating that muslims go out and pray at certain times of day in same para, what are you trying to convey? Are you not generalizing?? The Christians too go to pray at certain times of week. The devout do it more often.

I am not trying to 'convey' anything, in the negative sense that you seem to be using. It is a fact that some behaviors, criminal or otherwise, are more likely if you are from a certain culture. If someone goes out and prays at certain times of day, which are the prayer times for Muslims, it's a fairly safe assumption (though not 100% certain) that they are a Muslim. If someone is written about as being a violent waster, then they are probably either a medieval European.

Septithol, The topic is - "generalization, a human problem". How did the word crime creep in??, are you suffering from same problem?? An assumption cannot be safe, its mischief.

As I said, certain behaviors are far more likely to be committed by people from certain cultures, and this includes certain types of crimes. Violent wasting, in the form of publicly burning goods and money, was something done mainly in medieval Europe. It is no longer done, at least in that particular form, though I agree, as you said, that there are many other forms of wasting going on in developed countries. But 'violent wasting' in the sense that Dante wrote about, is pretty much obsolete, it is not a sin that very many people commit any longer. It is not 'mischeif' to assume that someone written about in a book as a violent waster is a Medeival European. It's generalization, but it's a very *likely* (though not 100% certain) generalization. It is certainly physically possible for someone today to commit the sin of being a violent waster, if they decide to do so. But most people no longer do so.

What would be a BAD generalization, is not assuming that a violent waster is probably a Medieval European, but rather, making the opposite generalization; that since almost ALL violent wasters were medieval Europeans, this therefore means that almost all Medieval Europeans were therefore violent wasters. And this second generalization is not at all true. MOST medieval Europeans were NOT violent wasters.

Another crime that seems to be becoming obsolete is that of being a cut-purse, or someone who cuts the pocket (or purse) of someone with a razorblade, in order to steal. I read an article about it yesterday, it said that in the entire city of New York, there are exactly 109 cutpurses, and the police there know who each of them are, because it is such a rare crime nowadays (it's becoming obsolete). Apparently it requires a great deal of skill to do this, nearly on par with that of a surgeon, and theives nowadays just aren't interested in learning it, when there are easier ways to steal. In fact, all the known cutpurses were born before 1950 (the oldest one is in his 80's!). This being the case, assuming that this particular crime continues to become obsolete, it would be a fairly accurate generalization for someone from the future to assume that if someone is described in a book as a cutpurse, that they were born before 1950, but it would be a wrong generalization on the part of future people to assume that because of this, most people born before 1950 were cutpurses.

The same is also true for Muslims. Although there are certain crimes today which are committed mainly by Muslims, such that it is very likely that if such a crime is committed, the perpetrator is probably a Muslim (or thinks he is a Muslim), the opposite generalization, which many people tend to make, is not true, it does not mean that MOST Muslims commit that particular crime.

All of these wrong generalizations are actually a logical fallacy, known as 'affirming the consequent'. This logical fallacy takes the following form:

Explanation
The fallacy of affirming the consequent is committed by arguments that have the form:

(1) If A then B
(2) B
Therefore:
(3) A

The first premise of such arguments notes that if a state of affairs A obtained then a consequence B would also obtain. The second premise asserts that this consequence B does obtain. The faulty step then follows: the inference that the state of affairs A obtains.

Examples

(1) If Fred wanted to get me sacked then he’d go and have a word with the boss.
(2) There goes Fred to have a word with the boss!
Therefore:
(3) Fred wants to get me sacked.

This argument is clearly fallacious; there are any number of reasons why Fred might be going to have a word with the boss that do not involve him wanting to get me sacked: e.g. to ask for a raise, to tell the boss what a good job I’m doing, etc. Fred’s going to see the boss therefore doesn’t show that he’s trying to get me fired.

Another example:

1. If Fred is a violent waster, then he is a Medieval European.
2. Fred is a Medieval European!
Therefore:
3. Shame on Fred! He is a violent waster!!

This is obviously a fallacious argument, most Medieval Europeans were not violent wasters, most of them were far too poor to waste anything!

Yet another example:

1. If Ahmed wants to stone women to death, then he is a Muslim
2. Ahmed is a Muslim.
Therefore
3. Ahmed wants to stone women to death.

And this again is fallacious, most Muslims do not want to stone women to death.

This being the case with many of your comments, there are also certain crimes (or acts which many people regard as crimes) which are committed mostly by Prejudiced mind, so when hearing about someone commenting thus most of times in this forum, it's a natural and safe assumption that the person who always tend to do so, is probably a Hater?.

Is it a safe assumption that someone who has their house lit by a lightbulb invented by an American, but asserts that the sole accomplishments of all Americans are wasting and weapons building, is probably a 'hater' of America, and is 'prejudiced' against that country?

strive-may-i

Generalization in a way saves time and effort and negative side to it is that it constrains and puts a limit on how far you can take that generalization. When a person refrain from stretching beyond the limits, its sign of a wiser, sensitive human.

Generalization is a way of abstracted classifying, that we humans need, and comes with clear defined boundaries.When a generalization is done incorrectly, its not generalization its wrong conclusion. To take an Abstraction and apply it in right context needs skill, time and careful observation and that is where the human nature comes in, errors can creep and wrong conclusions follow...

Appears to me , we try , want and end up with a summary of another person, from moment we encounter, to a few words or phrases. Out comes a word or a phrase, and we assign it to that person, like a label. [Infact we apply this process to ourself also]. So next time that person appears [in discussion, topic or before us], up comes the labels too, and should one choose to stick these labels against this person once again then the process of confine the person within these labels has begun. The person might have outgrown the labels, or a person might have another side, a completely different human there not fitting the generalization. Then its a fault, an error, defying the human spirit of observation, reasoning ... possibly the seeds of slander is getting sown!

Here is a very interesting quote
“All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.”
― Alexandre Dumas

So the reply to title of thread--
I find it useful, but comes with a risk. One should be mindful when generalizing and extra careful while making use of generalization, When in doubt refrain, ask and without letting personal prejudice hijack our thoughts.... (Ameen)

septithol

Banned
Generalization is a way of abstracted classifying, that we humans need, and comes with clear defined boundaries.When a generalization is done incorrectly, its not generalization its wrong conclusion. To take an Abstraction and apply it in right context needs skill, time and careful observation and that is where the human nature comes in, errors can creep and wrong conclusions follow...

True, which is much what I said, the logical fallacy of 'affirming the consequent' is a form of generalization which will likely lead to the wrong conclusion.

septithol

Banned
I think generalization is one of those things which MAY be useful in dealing with all the rest of the universe, but not necessarily with people. For instance, suppose every type of mushroom that grew in your immediate area was known, for a fact, by you, to be poisonous.

One day, you see a new species of mushroom growing. Probably you would generalize and say to yourself: "Oh-oh, there's a new mushroom. It's probably poisonous like all the others. Better not eat it."

And this is very useful when dealing with mushrooms, because if it is poisonous, you've just saved your life by not eating it. In the event that it is NOT poisonous, not eating it still hasn't killed you, and you have plenty of time to investigate the matter further, if you are curious about it.

However, this does not do well when dealing with people, because it will cause you to commit injustices against people who may have done nothing wrong.

Oh, and a safety point here: I strongly recommend that unless you are an expert in the field, that you do NOT pick or eat any mushrooms you find growing wild, with the notable exceptions of puffballs and morels. In all other species, it is EXTREMELY difficult to tell safe species from poison ones. If you aren't sure whether you are an expert in this matter, you're not.

Bubbybobble

Well, like some have already said it is a survival instinct. It's what you do with it that becomes a problem.

I do find it hypocritical when Muslims criticize others...but...I coulda sworn that most people do this too. All I think.

Muslims are humans. Humans think they're right. They fight tooth an nail to defend this. It's why there are so many religions in the world and everybody thinks that THEIR belief is right. If I feel like I'm right, it's bad to generalize me. But I can do it to others to no problem (Yes, I do this all the time). I

Imagine if everything done wrong said to be done by Muslims was done by Jewish people. Imagine how so many perceptions would change.