To what extent does one give Dawa?

KhalidalAsadullah

Al Mujahid
Salam Aliekum Rahmatullah

Dear brothers and sisters may Allah bless us with understanding of our religion and grant us ease in our studies.

I have been attenting a university this summer and plan to continue until I graduate Insha'Allah. I was actually introduced to this university by a friend I have had since 2nd grade and he is currently my room mate. Alhamduilah I have some hope for this brother because I try to constantly give him dawa and try to teach him about islam. Alhamduilah he even said once that he was thinking of converting but wanted to "sow his wild seeds" while he was young and then maybe convert to Islam later. I still try to give dawa but astaghfirullah it seems if anything he is becoming disrespectful of the religion and does not take it seriously. He will be my room mate for 4 more months and I am not sure if I should stop giving dawa out of his growing disrespect and avoid his company, or to continue giving dawa even through his disrespect. Allah says,

"Thou wouldst only perchance, fret thyself to death, following after them, in grief, If they believe not in this message" [Surah Al Kahf 6th ayat]

and

"Therefore shun those who turn away from Our Message and desire nothing but the life of this world" [Surah Al Najm 29th ayat]

BUT, I'm not sure of the exact wording or narration of the Hadith but is there one that goes something like......
when The Prophet Muhammad SAWS was making sajood in Mekkah there was a neighbor that would come and dump trash on his back. One day the neighbor did not show up and Rasulullah SAWS asked where she was and was informed she was ill. Upon hearing that the Prophet SAWS went and visited her and gave her Dawa.
We Also know that Rasulullah SAWS spend the first 10 years as a Prophet only informing the people of Tawheed remaining steadfast even though he was often met with a most violent opposition.

So therefor, when does a person cross the line and at what point are they ineligible for da'wa? Jazak'Allah Khair Salam Aliekum

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum Salam Wa Rahmatullah,

Giving Dawah and guiding someone to Islam is one of the best gifts that Allah enables you, as a Muslim to ever give them. It is a great matter which people aught to realise. A matter between Jannah and al-Naar. Heaven and Hellfire.

It is important that you give dawah in a good and wise way and be respectful of other people, their beliefs. Kindness is also Dawah, and many people have been influenced towards Islam just by seeing the politeness, kindess and good nature of Muslims. InshaAllah, i am sure you have been doing so, and i ask Allah to help us all in this and in other matters.

This reply is not about you or anyone else, but is something i have seen generally with quite a few Muslim people, so i thought i might as well address this issue in more general terms.

Many Muslims often fall foul to wasting their time debating with non Muslims, debating with Islam haters, and you will see this especially on the internet. And it really pains me to see people do that!! because it is not beneficial at all, and it shows their lack of Islamic knowledge.

Islamically, it is better not to waste time with people who make fun of Islam. You will often see on places like Paltalk and other websites and debate chatrooms people will mix with silly people who are not sincere in talking about Islam. Those people will say hateful things about Islam, they will say racist things etc. And these people do not want to learn or know the truth, i.e. they are insincere.

Allah says in the Quran:

140. And it has already been revealed to you in the Book (this Qur'ân) that when you hear the Verses of Allâh being denied and mocked at, then sit not with them, until they engage in a talk other than that; (but if you stayed with them) certainly in that case you would be like them. Surely, Allâh will collect the hypocrites and disbelievers all together in Hell.
Surah 4(An Nisaa, Ayah 140)

These people, are foolish. They debate with losers!And this makes them fall down to the same level . They are wasting their time trying to prove points to people who only want to vent their anger and their misconceptions.

These people that people often debate with are blind to reality and normal sense. Its exceedingly unfortunate that people can not leave their childish antics in order to understand one another, and to analyse issues in a coordinated fact-finding manner.

Instead, they rely on their own biased antiIslam links and information in order to forward their own misconstrued ideas. -- So all in all, Shaytan makes the Muslims fall into the trap of debating with these people. When in its place they could be doing something a lot more beneficial to people, such as learning Islam and helping themselves and their families.. this is most important and something we must always be doing. Also, this is a bad situation, because this constant abuse will have demoralising affect and also affect the Eemaan of that person, also will affect their knowledge because they are bombarded with false information, mistranslated verses, misquotes, and various misconceptions. No matter who the person is, it is not recommended for someone who is not a well versed Scholar to go headfirst into debates, and that does not include debates with Islam haters!

Secondly, if they wish to make Dawah, they can do a 1001 different things which can be of great benefit. Such as helping on websites like this. Really we are in great need of helpful people here on this website, TurnToIslam.Com. This will strengthen our website and allow us to take greater steps in helping more people understand Islam.

Back to your question, carry on talking to him about Islam. Make sure to do it in a wise way. If he isnt sincere, meaning he really doesnt care.. then be careful, because all he will be doing is insulting you and our beautiful religion. Only speak to those people who are prepared to listen and talk to you in a good way.

Wasalam

May Allah help you

:salam2:
The propeht :saw: said to inform about him even by one verse. "baligho 'ani walaw aya".
There is no doubt that having in mind the idea to give da'wah is a gift from Allah because not all muslim think to debate with any kind of non-muslim people especialy those who are ready to know and to find the straight path.

Yet, as brother Ameer explained, some people want just to offend Islam even they know or no a lot of informations about it.
And people who continue to offend Islam, i think that it will be good to don't trying to convice them more.

Allah say in the Quran :

"And certainly We have explained in this Quran every kind of example, and man is most of all given to contention."
The Cave N°18 verse n°54

"And they do not assign to Allah the attributes due to Him when they say: Allah has not revealed anything to a mortal. Say: Who revealed the Book which Musa brought, a light and a guidance to men, which you make into scattered writings which you show while you conceal much? And you were taught what you did not know, (neither) you nor your fathers. Say: Allah then leave them sporting in their vain discourses".
The Cattle N°6 verse n°91

"If you desire for their guidance, yet surely Allah does not guide him who leads astray, nor shall they have any helpers."
The Bee N°16 n°37

May Allah help you.