Question: Tooth paste

Eman Yousuf

:salam: Please this thing is always on my mind and considering ,reconsidering, watching videos
islamic programmes yet I am always confused.

Can a person use tooth paste while he is fasting. Some say yes as long as it does not enter the throat
some say no.

I know about miswak it is yes, but toothpaste i am confused everytime.

helppppppppppp

have a nice day

ma salaam

Sent

The last time I read about it, it was makruh. But maybe they changed their minds again :) No, I think it really is makruh. Technically allowed but it's not recommended because a drop of water might go down your throat and even though it's unintentional you'd be guilty for it because you didn't really have to use toothpaste. And not to mention the thirst.

The use of toothpaste whilst fasting is Makruh Tahrimi. There is an increase chance of a person swallowing the paste, which will result in the fast breaking. Try to use other alternatives such as Miswak or a toothbrush (without the paste) and brush at regular intervals during the day to stop the bleeding and pain.
However, if the aforementioned alternatives come to no avail then Mufti Khalid Saifullah Rahmani (DB) has said that it will be permissible to use toothpaste if there is a need (uzr). Care should be taken that you do not swallow the paste. (Jadeed Fiqhi Masail p.102 v.1)
Finally, I would like to stress this is a specific ruling for this particular situation and is not applicable for every individual.
http://daruliftabirmingham.co.uk/using-toothpaste-whilst-fasting/

SonOfAdam

Staff member
Differences of opinions as you pointed out. I personally don't use it, I just brush with water and my teeth still feel clean afterwards.