Historic Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Bismillah.
AssalaamuAlaikum

The difference between a Caliph and a King:

Umar said:By Allah, I do not know if I am a caliph or a king. If I am a king this is a serious matter.Someone said to him:There is a difference between them. A caliph does not take anything except rightfully, and he does not five anything except rightfully, and you – praise be to Allah – are like that. A king oppresses the people, taking from one and giving to another.And Umar fell silent.

[Ash-Shaykan Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq wa Umar ibn al-Khattab min Riqayat al-Baladhuri p.257.]

According to another report, Umar asked Salman al-Farisi:Am I a king or a caliph?Salman said:If you collect from the land a dirham, or less or more, and put it where it does not belong, then you are a king and not a caliph.” And Umar wept. [Ibid]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 181

Peace.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Wa-alaykum-us-salaam,

Jazaaka'Allahu khayr. The narrations never cease to amaze.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Bismillah,
Assalaamualaikum,

The Egyptian and Umar RA: [Justice]

A man from Egypt came to complain about the son of Amr ibn al-As, who was Umar's governor in Egypt. He said: " O Commander of the Faithful, here is a man running to you from oppression."

He (Umar RA) said, "I will offer you protection."

He said, "I raced with the son of Amr ibn al-As and beat him, and he started hitting me with a whip and saying, "I am the son of noble people."

Umar wrote to Amr RA, telling him to come to Madeenah and bring his son with him. Amr came and Umar said: "Where is the Egyptain? Take the whip and hit him." So he started hitting him with the whip, and Umar was saying, "Hit the son of noble people!"

Anas said He hit him, and by Allah we liked that hitting, and he did not stop until we thought that it was enough. Then Umar said to the Egyptain, "Hit the bald head of Amr."

He said, "O Commander of the Faithful, his son is the one who hit me, and I am satisfied.

Umar said to Amr, "Since when did you enslave people whose mothers bore them free?"

He said, "O Commander of Faithful, I did not know about (this incident) and he did not come to me."

[Wasatiyah Ahl as-Sunnah bayna al-Firaq by Muhammad Bakareem, p.170]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 192

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Bismillah,
Assalaamualaikum,

“Who are these people who give themselves precedence over their servants?"

It was narrated that Ibn Abbas said: 'Umar ibn al-Khattab came for Hajj, and Safwan ibn Umayyah made food for him. They brought a vessel that was carried by four men. The food was placed before the people for them to eat, and the servants remained standing.

Umar said: “ Don’t you want them to eat with you?” Sufyan ibn Abdullah said: ”No, by Allah, O Commander of the Faithful. We want to keep this food for ourselves.” Umar became very angry and said: “Who are these people who give themselves precedence over their servants? May Allah Punish them!”Then he said to the servants: ”Sit down and eat.” So the servants sat down and ate, and Umar did not eat.

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 194

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam:
:subhanallah:

Abdur Rahman ibn Umar ibn al-Khattab and Punishment for Wine Drinking:

Ibn al-jazwi narrated that Amr ibn al-As carried out the punishment for wine-drinking on Abdur Rahman ibn Umar ibn al-Khattab when he was his governor in Egypt. Such punishments were usually carried out in the public square of the city, so as to teach a lesson to the masses, but Amr carried out the punishment on the son of the caliph in his house. When news of that reached Umar, he wrote to Amr ibn al-As saying:

“From the slave of Allah, Umar the Commander of Faithful to the sinner Ibn al-As. I am amazed at you, O son of al-As and your audacity towards me in doing something other than what I told you to do. I gave you precedence over the people of Badr who are better than you, and I chose you so that you would do what I tell you to do. But you have betrayed me and sunk to this low level. I think that the only thing I can do is dismiss you in the most humiliating manner. You beat Abdur-Rahman in your house, and you know that this is against my instructions. Abdur Rahman is just of your people, so do with him what you would do with any other Muslim. But probably you thought that he was the son of caliph, when you know that I accept the had punishments prescribed by Allah. When this letter of mine reaches you, send him wearing a cloak on a mount so that he will realize how bad his action was.”

[Manaqib Ameer al-Mu’mineen by Ibn al-jazwi. p. 235]
He was brought to Madeenah and the had punishment was carried out publicly. This was narrated by Ibn Sa’d and referred to by Ibn Az-Zubayr, and it was narrated by Abdur-Razzaq in a lengthy report with a saheeh isnad from ibn Umar.
[Al-Khilafah ar-Rashidah wa ad-Dawlah al-Umawiyah by Yahya al-Yahya p.345]
Here we can see equality before shariah in the clearest way. The accused was the son of the caliph, but the governor did not exempt him from punishment. However Umar noticed that his son enjoyed some special treatment, which upset him greatly, so he punished his governor – the conqueror of Egypt – severely and carried out on his son the punishment that he deserved, out of keenness to carry out the had punishment prescribed by Allah and to discipline his son and straighten him out. If this was the way in which he dealt with the closest of people to him, how do you think he dealt with others?
[Fann al-Hukm fee al-Islam, by Dr Mustafa Abu Zayd, Pp. 475, 476]
From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 196-197

Peace

afrarzk

احبك ىارب
Subhan Allah!!! Indeed they are the best generation of this Ummah and am wondering where are we when compared to these pious people?

Ya Allah, grant us a heart that yearn to follow and practise what exactly our prophet(saw) and companions taught us....Allahumma ameen

Between, jazzakallah khairan akhi for sharing this hadeeths with us

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Subhan Allah!!! Indeed they are the best generation of this Ummah and am wondering where are we when compared to these pious people?

Ya Allah, grant us a heart that yearn to follow and practise what exactly our prophet(saw) and companions taught us....Allahumma ameen

Between, jazzakallah khairan akhi for sharing this hadeeths with us

Ameen for your dua sister.
Wa iyyaki. May Allah SWT keep us firm on the path, because there is too much evil out there. Phew!

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Jizyah From A Jew:

In Kitab al-Amwal, Abu Ubayd states that Umar passed by the door of some people and saw there an old blind man who was begging.
He tapped him on the shoulder and said: “From which of the people of the Book are you?”

He said: ”(I am) a Jew."

He said: “What forced you to do what I see (i.e., begging)?”

He said: “I am begging because of the jizyah and needs of the old age.”

Umar took him by the hand and took him to his house, where he gave him something from his house.

Then he sent for the keeper of the bayt al-mal and said: “Check him and others like him, for by Allah we have not been fair to him if we benefited from him (from his jizyah) when he was young and abandon him when he is old”.

And he let him and others like him off from paying the jizyah.

[Al-Amwal by Abu Ubayd, p.57; Ahkam Ahl adh-Dhimmah by Ibn al-Qayyim, 1/38.]

And he wrote to his agents issuing this command to all of them.
[Nasab ar-Rayah by az-Zayla’i, 7/453]

Such actions point to the justice of Islam and Umar’s keenness to establish his state on a basis of justice and kindness to its people, even if they were not Muslim. Religious freedom remained a prominent feature of the era of the Rightly –Guided Caliphs, guaranteed by the state and protected by the rulings of Shari’ah.

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Umar stood up and delievered a speech in which he said: “O people, who among you sees crookedness in me, let him straighten it.”

A man stood up and said: “By Allah, if we see any crookedness in you, we will straighten it with our swords.”

Umar said: “Praise be to Allah who has put in this ummah people who wil straighten the crookedness of Umar with their swords.”

[Akhbar Umar, Pp.331, 332, quoting from ar-Riyad an-Nadrah.]

And how many of us today would like to listen to truthful advise from out companions? How many of us have the capability to accept our faults and improve them?
:(

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

The Calendar:

It was narrated that Uthman ibn Ubaydullah said that he heard Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib say: Umar RA gathered the Muhajireen and Ansar together and said, “From when should we date our History?” Ali ibn Abi Talib RA said to him, “From the time when the Prophet SAW came out of the land of shirk” i.e. from the day he migrated. So Umar ibn al-Khattab RA adopted that date for the beginning of the calendar.

And it was narrated that Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib said: “The first one to establish the calendar was Umar ibn al-Khattab RA, two and half years into his caliphate. He reached a decision in consultation with Ali ibn Abi Talib RA.”

[Tareekh al-islam by adh-Dhahabi. Pg 163]

Ibn Hijr narrated the reason why they chose Muharram for the beginning of the calendar and not Rabee al-Awwal, the month in which the Prophet SAW actually migrated: the Sahabah who advised Umar suggested four events that could be used as the starting point for the calendar: the Prophet’s birth, the beginning of his mission, his Hijrah and his death. But they found that there was some dispute as to the year of his birth and the beginning of his mission, and they abandoned the idea of dating the calendar from his death because that would provoke grief and sorrow in the Muslims. So there was no other option left but the Hijrah. And they put it back from Rabee al-Awwal to Muharram because the initial resolve to migrate came in Muharram. The second pledge of al-Aqabah, which was the precursor to the Hijrah, had taken place in Dhu al-Hijjah; the first new month to begin after that pledge and resolve to migrate was Muharram, so it was apt that this month should be chosen for the beginning of the calendar… Then Ibn Hajar said: “This is the most appropriate event to be regarded as the beginning, which took place in Muharram.”

[Fath al-Bari, 7/268; al-Khilafah ar-Rashidah by Yahya al-Yahya pg.286]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 226-227

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
Wa'alaikumussalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

MashaAllah! TabaarakAllah! JazakAllahu khairan for sharing, my beloved brother.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Wa'alaikumussalam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

MashaAllah! TabaarakAllah! JazakAllahu khairan for sharing, my beloved brother.

aslam o alaikum wa rahmatuALlahi wa barakatuhu

JazakAllah khair bhai very nice thread keep it going inshAllah

Walaikumassalaam wa re. wa barakatuhu.

Wa iyyaki to both of you. JazakAllah Khair for words of encouragement. InshaAllah I shall post snippets everyday. :)

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Bedouin and Umar RA:

One day a Bedouin came to Umar RA and said: “O good Umar, may you be rewarded with Paradise. Give me something to support my daughters and their mother. I adjure you by Allah to do it.”

He (Umar) said, “If I do not do it, what then, O Bedouin?”

He said, ”By Allah you will be questioned about it… and there will only be either Hell or Paradise.”

Umar wept until his beard became wet with his tears, then he said, “O slave, give him this shirt of mine because of that Day, not because of his words, for by Allah I do not own any other shirt.”

Umar wept greatly because he was moved by the words of this Bedouin which reminded him of the Reckoning on the Day of Resurrection, even though there is no mention that he ever wronged anyone; rather it was due to his great fear of Allah that he wept before everyone who reminded him of the Day of Resurrection.

[At-Tareekh al-Islami, 19/46]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 230

Peace.

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Good thread. Keep it up!

Let's follow the life of the pious predecessors as we try to increase our taqwa and imaan, even if we may not reach up to their level. Inshaa Allaah.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

The Man and Umar RA:

One day Umar RA was busy dealing with some public matter when a man came to him and said: “O Ameer al-Mu’mineen, come with me and help me deal with so and so, for he has wronged me.”

Umar raised his stick and hit the man on the head and said, “You ignore Umar when he comes and checks on you, then when he is busy dealing with the Muslims affairs you come to him!”

The man went away complaining, then Umar said, “Bring the man to me!”

When they brought him back, Umar threw the stick to him and said, “Take the stick and hit me with it as I hit you.”

The man said, “No, O’ Ameer al-Mu’mineen. I give it up for the sake of Allah SWT and for your sake.”

Umar said, “Not like that. Either give it up for the sake of Allah SWT and seeking the reward that is with HIM, or give it up for my sake.” The man said, “I give it up for the sake of Allah, O Ameer al-Mu’mineen.

The man went away, and Umar went into his house, accompanied by some people among whom was al-Ahnaf ibn Qays, who narrated what he saw. He started to pray and he prayed two rak'ahs and then sat.

He said, “O son of al-Khattab, you were lowly and Allah raised you in status; you were astray and Allah guided you; you were humble and Allah honoured you, then He put in charge of the Muslims. Then a man came asking for your help and you hit him. What will you say to your Lord tomorrow when you meet HIM?" And he(Umar) started to criticize himself in a manner that made me think that he was the best of the people on earth.

[Mahd as-Sawab, 2/503]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 231

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

:allahuakbar:,:subhanallah:

Keep a Check on Yourself:

Umar RA used to say, when he was checking himself; “Take stock of yourselves before you are brought to account; weigh yourselves before you are weighed, and prepare yourselves for the great judgement.”

“That Day shall you be brought to Judgement, not a secret of you will be hidden.” [Quran 69:18]

Because of his great fear of Allah and his strictness in taking stock of himself, he would say: “If a lamb were to die on the banks of the Euphrates, I would fear that Allah might call Umar to account for it.”

[Manaqib Umar, Pp.160, 161]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 232

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Umar RA runs for Camels:

It was narrated that Ali RA said: “I saw Umar ibn al-Khattab RA rushing on a camel" and I said, O Ameer al-Mumineen, where are you going?”

He said, “One of the zakah camels has run away!”

I said, “You have caused humiliation to the caliphs who come after you.”

He said, “O Abu al-Hasan, do not blame me, for by the One Who sent Muhammad SAW as a Prophet, if a female kid were to die on the banks of Euphrates, Umar would be taken to task for it on the Day of Resurrection.”

[Manaqib Umar, p. 161]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 232

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

"This Verse is Referring to Me":

It was narrated that Abu Salamah said: I came to Umar when he was hitting men and women in the Haram at a sink where they were doing wudoo, in order to separate them.

Then he said, “O so and so!” I said, “Here I am”.

He said, “I am displeased with you. Did I not tell you to designate one sink for men and another for women?”

Then he went away and was met by Ali RA and he said to him, “I fear that I may be doomed.”

He asked, “Why would you be doomed?”

He said, “I hit men and women in the Haram of Allah.”

Ali said,O Ameer al-Mumineen, you are a shepherd (in charge of the people); if you did that out of sincerity and in order to set things right, Allah will never punish you, but if you hit them for no reason then you are the wrongdoer.”

[Musannaf Abdur-Razzaq, 1/75, 76, its isnad is hasan; Mahd as-Sawab, 2/623]

It was narrated that al-Hasan al-Basri said:Whilst Umar RA was going around in the lanes of Madeenah, he thought of this verse:

“And those who annoy believing men and women undeservedly… “[Quran 33:58]

He went to Ubayy ibn Ka’b and entered his house when he was sitting on cushion. He took it beneath him and said, “Take it O Ameer al-Mumineen.” He kicked it away with his foot and sat down, and recited the verse to him, and said, “I am afraid that I am the one referred to in this verse, and that I have annoyed the believers.”

He said, “You cannot but keep an eye on your people, and issue commands and prohibitions.”

Umar said, “I see what you mean, but Allah knows the best.”

[Manaqib Umar, p.162; Mahb as-Sawab, 2/623]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 233
Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Couldn't resist myself from posting this one. One of the best!! SubhaanAllah.

Fire and Umar RA:

Sometimes Umar would light a fire and put his hand over it and say: “O son of al-Khattab, can you bear this?”

[Op. cit, p.62]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 234

Peace.