Historic Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
:bismillah1:
:salam:

How can a ruler really care for his people if he does not feel what they feel?

During the year of ar-Ramadah (year of ashes), some bread soaked in ghee was brought to Umar. He called a Bedouin man to eat with him, and the Bedouin started to wipe up extra ghee with his finger after each mouthful.

Umar said to him: “It seems that you have not had any fat for a long time.”

The Bedouin said, “I have not eaten any ghee or olive oil, nor have I seen anyone eating them, since such and such a time until today.”

Umar swore that he would not taste any meat or ghee until the famine was over and people went back to normal. The narrators unanimously agreed that Umar was very strict in fulfilling this vow.

For example, when a skin full of ghee and some yoghurt came to the market, Umar’s slave bought them for forty dirhams and brought them to Umar and said: “O Ameer al-Mumineen, Allah has fulfilled your oath and your reward will be great. Some yoghurt and ghee came to the market and I bought them for forty dirhams."

Umar said, “That is too expensive; give them in charity, for I do not want to eat something extravagant.” Then he followed that by saying, “How could I care for the people properly if I do not feel what they feel?”
[Tareekh at-Tabari, 5/78]

These words of Umar explain one of the most brilliant principles of the art of ruling that humanity has ever known: how can a ruler really care for his people if he does not feel what they feel?
[Fann al-Hukm, p.71]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 409- 410

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Abu Hurairah RA said: May Allah have mercy on Ibn Hantamah (i.e Umar). I saw him in the year of ar-ramadah, carrying two sacks on his back and a container of oil in his hand, taking turns with Aslam to carry them.

When he saw me, he said: “Where did you come from, O Abu Hurairah?” I said, “From nearby.”

I started helping him and we carried those things until we reached Dirar, where there was a group of about twenty families from (the tribe of) Muharib.

Umar said, “What brings you here?” They said, ‘Hunger.’

They brought out to us the baked skin of a dead animal that they had been eating, and some ground up bones that they had been eating. I saw Umar put down his cloak and start to cook for them and feed them until they had eaten their fill. Then he sent Aslam to Madeenah and he brought some camels which he gave them to ride until he brought them to al-Jabbanah. Then he gave them some clothes, and he kept checking on them and on others until Allah relieved them of that drought.

[Akhbar Umar, p.111; quoting from ar-Riyad an-Nadrah]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 413- 414

Peace.

Nureyni Amir

Salaam, May Allah swa bestow his mercy upon Umar ra, every time I read his story it moves you emotionally and to strive spiritually. Great kisa, jazakallahu Kheyran for sharing and may Allah jala jalalu bring the like of Umar within our Muslim nation that are going through calamities.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma
Salaam, May Allah swa bestow his mercy upon Umar ra, every time I read his story it moves you emotionally and to strive spiritually. Great kisa, jazakallahu Kheyran for sharing and may Allah jala jalalu bring the like of Umar within our Muslim nation that are going through calamities.

Walaikumassalaam.

True sister, Umar's ra story is a masterpiece. Alhamdulilah. An inspiring person. Wa iyyaki sister. :)
Ameen to your dua'a. JazakAllah Khair for reading it patiently.

Peace

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Malik ibn Aws (from Banu an-Nasr) said: In the year of ar-Ramadah, my people came to Umar with one hundred families and camped in al-Jabbanah. Umar would feed the people who came to him, and he would send flour, dates, and condiments to those who could not come to him. He used to send what my people needed month by month, and he would care for the sick among them and send shrouds for those who died. Umar himself would come and offer the funeral prayer for them, and I saw him praying for ten people at one time. When the famine was over, he said: “leave the city and go back to your way of life in the desert.” Umar gave mounts to the weak among them, until they reached their own land.

[Akhbar Umar, p.112; Ibn al-Jawzi, p.61]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 414

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Umar RA knew cooking! SubhaanAllah. Guess I have to learn cooking too. o_O

It was narrated from Hazm ibn Hashim that his father said: I saw Umar ibn al-Khattab in the year of ar-ramadah passing by a woman who was making aseedah (a gruel made of flour with butter and honey). He said, “You do not make aseedah like that.” Then he took the spoon and said, ‘Like this,’ and he showed her how, saying, “Do not put the flour in until the water is hot; add it little by little and stir it as you are adding it, otherwise it will clump together.” One of Umar’s wives narrated that Umar did not approach any of his wives (for intimacy) during the time of ar-ramadah until the famine was over, because of his worry.

It was narrated that Anas said: “The stomach of Umar ibn al-Khattab rumbled during the year of ar-ramadah. He used to eat olive oil and he forbade himself ghee. He patted his stomach and said, “You may rumble, but we have no other food until the famine is over.”

[al-Hilyah, 1/48]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 414

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

This was how Egypt was before. Now - :(

Umar hastened to write to his governors in rich lands and ask them for help. He sent word to Amr ibn al-As, his governor in Egypt, saying: “From the slave of Allah, Umar ibn al-Khattab, the Ameer al-Mumineen, to Amr ibn al-As. Peace be upon you. Do you want me and those around me to die, whilst you and those around you are living a life of luxury? Help, help!” Amr ibn al-As wrote back to him: “To the slave of Allah Ameer al-Mumineen from Amr ibn al-As. Peace be upon you. I praise Allah, beside Whom there is no other god. Help is on its way, just wait. I am sending to you a caravan the first of which will reach you whilst the last of it is still with me. I also hope to find a way to send help by sea.

[Akhbar Umar, p.115]

He sent one thousand camels by land carrying flour, and he sent twenty ships by sea carrying flour and fat, and he sent five thousand garments to him.

[Op.Cit]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 415-416

Peace.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
It was narrated from Hazm ibn Hashim that his father said: I saw Umar ibn al-Khattab in the year of ar-ramadah passing by a woman who was making aseedah (a gruel made of flour with butter and honey). He said,“You do not make aseedah like that.”Then he took the spoon and said,‘Like this,’ and he showed her how, saying,“Do not put the flour in until the water is hot; add it little by little and stir it as you are adding it, otherwise it will clump together.”

:wasalam:

Subhaanallaah, this made me smile. I know a few men in my family who do not know how to cook but they can tell you exactly what's missing from the dish before even tasting it. I sometimes want to say go cook your own food then, lol. But maashaa'Allaah good to know that `Umar radiyallaahu `anh, also, knew how to cook, more Muslim men should follow his examples.

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!

Umar RA knew cooking! SubhaanAllah. Guess I have to learn cooking too. o_O

It was narrated from Hazm ibn Hashim that his father said: I saw Umar ibn al-Khattab in the year of ar-ramadah passing by a woman who was making aseedah (a gruel made of flour with butter and honey). He said, “You do not make aseedah like that.” Then he took the spoon and said, ‘Like this,’ and he showed her how, saying, “Do not put the flour in until the water is hot; add it little by little and stir it as you are adding it, otherwise it will clump together.” One of Umar’s wives narrated that Umar did not approach any of his wives (for intimacy) during the time of ar-ramadah until the famine was over, because of his worry.

It was narrated that Anas said: “The stomach of Umar ibn al-Khattab rumbled during the year of ar-ramadah. He used to eat olive oil and he forbade himself ghee. He patted his stomach and said, “You may rumble, but we have no other food until the famine is over.”

[al-Hilyah, 1/48]

Peace.
Asalamo`Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa barakaatuh,

Every time I read about `Umer may Allah be pleased with him. I love him more.

The cooking one reminds me of what happened last night. I was having a very "knoty" stomach ache for some reason from `asr. My father came to know of it when I could get up to clean the dishes after iftaar and started giving me a hundred and 10 tips. I knew I'll be alright because I had some food and didn't bother, he took this for me being pain. May Allah bless him, he went ahead and made an awesome mint and lemon green tea for me. I was so embarrassed. I mean I could have done it myself, it's not like I was dying.

May Allah grant him the highest stations in Jannah and make him feel ever so special and loved in the company of Prophet :saw: and Abu Bakr, and Umer and Uthman and Ali. As he made me feel it.

Just thought I'd share for the "future fathers" of the ummah at least so that your daughter will pray for you from the heart with love and sincerity.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

The Death of Abu Ubaidah RA:

When the plague spread and news of that reached Umar RA he wrote to Abu Ubaidah telling him to come out of that land, saying:Peace be upon you. There is something I want to discuss with you and I urge you once you read this letter not to put it down until you come to me.”

Abu Ubaidah RA realized that Umar wanted to bring him away from the plague out of compassion for him and to save his life, and he said, “May Allah forgive the Ameer al-Mumineen.” Then he wrote to him saying: “O Ameer al-Mumineen, I understand what you said, but I am with some of the Muslim troops and I do not want to save myself and leave them until Allah passes HIS decree concerning me and them. Please excuse me from coming, O Ameer al-Mumineen, and let me be with my troops.”

When Umar read the letter he wept, and the people said: “O Ameer ul Mumineen, has Abu Ubaidah died?” He said, “It is as if he has.”

Then he wrote to him and said: “Peace be upon you, you have camped with the people in the land that is low-lying; take them up into high land where there is fresh air.”

When his letter arrived, Abu Ubaidah called Abu Moosa and said: “O Abu Moosa, this letter has come to me from the Ameer al-Mumineen with what you see. Go out and find a place for the people to camp so I can follow you with them.”

Abu Moosa went back to his camp and found that his wife had caught the sickness. He went back to Abu Ubaidah and told him the news. He ordered that a camel be prepared for him and when he put his foot in the stirrup he realized that he had become infected too. He said, “By Allah, The Exalted, The Almighty, I have caught it.”

[Tareekh at-Tabari, 5/35]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 425

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

On The Death Bed:

Note: "It" in the first sentence refers to the plague. [Mentioned in the above post]

Abu Ubaydah asked Allah to give him his share of it, and when he caught it, he called the Muslims and they came to see him, and he said to them:I will give you some advice which, if you accept it, you will be fine so long as you live and after you die: establish regular prayer, pay zakah, fast, give in charity, perform hajj and Umrah, uphold ties with one another, love one another, be sincere to your rulers and do not deceive them, and do not be distracted by this world. If a man lived to be thousand years old, he would still end up as I am now (i.e. dying). Allah has decreed death for the sons of Adam and they will surely die. The cleverest among them is the one who is most obedient to his Lord and who strives hardest for his Hereafter.

Then he said to Muadh ibn Jabal,O Muadh, lead the people in prayer.So Muadh led them in prayer and Abu Ubaydah died (may Allah have mercy on him and forgive him and be pleased with him).

[Al-Iktifa, 3/306]

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 426

Peace.

uniqueskates

Rabbe Zidni Illma

Continuation of the above post.

Muadh stood up and addressed the people:O people, repent to Allah sincerely, for if a person meets Allah repenting from his sins, it will be incumbent upon Allah to forgive him his sins. Whoever owes a debt, let him pay it off, for a person is in pledge for his debt. Whoever among you is forsaking a Muslim, let him meet him and reconcile with him, and shake hands with him, for no Muslim should forsake his fellow Muslim for more than three days. The sin involved in that is serious before Allah. You Muslims are stricken with the loss of a man. By Allah, I do not think that I have seen any of you, O slaves of Allah, who is more humble, more honest, more removed from treachery, more sincere towards the public and more compassionate towards them than him. Pray for mercy for him and attend his funeral prayer. May Allah forgive him all his sins. By Allah, no one like him will be appointed over you again.

The people gathered, and Abu Ubaydah was brought out, and Muadh led the funeral prayer for him. When he was brought to his grave, Muadh, Amr ibn al-As and ad-Dahhak ibn Qays entered his grave. When they covered him with earth, Muadh said:May Allah have mercy on you, O Abu Ubaydah. By Allah I will praise him for what I know of him and by Allah I shall not say anything false, fearing lest I incur the wrath of Allah. By Allah, as far as I know, you were the one of those who remember Allah a great deal, one of those,

“…who walk on earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them they reply back with mild words of gentleness.” [Quran – 25:63]

One of,
“…those who spend the night in worship of their Lord, prostrate and standing.” [Quran – 25:64]

And one of,
“…those who, when they spend, are neither extravagant nor niggardly, but hold a medium between those [extremes]” [Quran – 25:67]

By Allah, as far as I know, you were one of those who turn to Allah a great deal in humility, one of those who show mercy to the orphans and the poor, and who hate the harsh and arrogant.

From - Umar ibn Al-Khattab His Life & Times by Dr. Ali Muhammad as-Sallabi. p. 426-428

Peace