Umm Ayman, Barakah. One of the Greatest Women Ever!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

Umm Ayman Radhiyallahu Anha, (May Allah be pleased with her):
A Notable Muslim African Woman

If you're looking for an important Muslim African woman to talk about, look no further than the Seerah of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) , and the woman he described as his "mother after my own mother. She is the rest of my family.".

Barakah or Umm Ayman was the name of the woman whom the noble Prophet esteemed so highly. She was the first person to hold him in her arms when he was born and the only person who knew him from that point until his death. She was one of the few Muslims who the Prophet assured of a place in Paradise.

"Be a mother to him, Barakah. And don't ever leave him," Amina instructed her about her son as she lay dying.

Umm Ayman did not fail in her responsibility.
Her beginnings were more than humble. In her youth, the Abyssinian girl was put up for sale in Makkah as a slave. In pre-Islamic Arabia, slavery was no shame, and slaves were treated like animals.

But Barakah was blessed to be treated with kindness.
She was bought by a noble and gentle man: Abdullah, the son of Abdul Muttalib. The father of the Prophet.

Barakah not only took care of Abdullah's affairs as a servant in his home, but after he married the Prophet's mother, she looked after Amina as well.

It was Umm Ayman who slept at the foot of Amina's bed and comforted her when, only two weeks after her wedding, her husband was instructed to leave for that journey to Syria, after which he never came back. It was Umm Ayman who took care of Amina during her pregnancy.

It was Umm Ayman who gave Amina the news of her husband's death at Yathrib (her son, too, would one day be buried there), what was later to be known as Madinah.

As the Prophet faced tragedy upon tragedy, Umm Ayman was there for him. From the time when his mother died when he was six, to when his grandfather Abdul Muttalib died when he was eight, Umm Ayman stayed with the Prophet.

It was only after the Prophet married Khadija (may Allah be pleased with her) that she married, and that too, on their insistence.

She married Ubayd ibn Zayd from the Khazraj tribe of Yathrib and they had a son named Ayman, thus her name Umm Ayman.

When the Prophet received the prophethood, Umm Ayman was among the first Muslims, and like the others, bravely faced the punishments of the Quraish for those who dared to believe in La ilaha illa Allah Muhammadur Rasool ullah.

She and Zayd ibn Harithah, another companion who lived in the Prophet's household, put their lives on the line to find out about the plots and conspiracies of the pagan Makkans against the Prophet and the Muslims.

During the Battle of Uhud she gave out water to the thirsty soldiers and took care of the wounded. She accompanied the Prophet on some expeditions.

She tied her well-being to that of Islam. During a visit from the Prophet, he asked: "Ya Ummi! Are you well?" and she would reply: "I am well, O Messenger of Allah so long as Islam is."

Umm Ayman's husband died not very long after their marriage. When she was in about her 50s, the Prophet, when speaking to his companions said, "Should one of you desire to marry a woman from the people of Paradise, let him marry Umm Ayman."

It was Zayd who stepped forward and agreed to marry her. They had a son named Usamah who was described as "the beloved son of the beloved." In other words, the Prophet loved both he and his father.

One example of Umm Ayman's dedication to Islam and the Prophet was when she trekked across the burning desert through sandstorms on foot from Makkah to Madinah to join the Prophet. Despite the harshness of the journey though, she persisted, and was given good news when she reached her destination.

When she got to Madinah, swollen feet, dust-covered face and all, the Prophet said to her,

"Ya Umm Ayman! Ya Ummi! (O Umm Ayman! O my mother!) Indeed for you is a place in Paradise!"

She became a widow again, after Zayd was killed during the Battle of Mutah in Syria. She also lived to see her son's martyrdom at the Battle of Hunayn.

Umm Ayman lived to see her other "son" die as well: the Prophet. But it was not for him she cried. When asked, she said, "By Allah, I knew that the Messenger of Allah would die but I cry now because the revelation from on high has come to an end for us."

Umm Ayman died when Uthman (may Allah be pleased with him) was Khalifa.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
Subhanallah!!

Allahu Akbar!! What a beautiful story!! this is the first time I have read about her, mashallah!! A beautiful read, Subhanallah!! Will see her in Jannah inshallah, Jazakallahu Khairan!!

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Allahu Akbar!! What a beautiful story!! this is the first time I have read about her, mashallah!! A beautiful read, Subhanallah!! Will see her in Jannah inshallah, Jazakallahu Khairan!!

Wa alaykum salam,

BarekAllahu feeki . Its so important for us to read about the lives of the Prophet and his Companions, and also of the Prophets who came in the past. These are the best examples for us all.

Words can never describe how amazing they were. May Allah make us closer to Him and to his most loved slaves.

Wasalam

38khadj

:blackhijab: :salam2:
Jazakallah brother for sharing - I hadnt heard of this story and Marshallah it is a beautiful one, what a strong women Allhamdolilla, very inspiring.
Jazakallah
:wasalam:

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
Masha-Allah!

This is for the first time i read about Umm Ayman.
Thank you for sharing and I hope you will post more posts about the companions of the Prophet(SAW).

Jazak-Allah

qadra-sagal

masha allah

Allahu akbar masha allah jezakalah khayran for sharing this beautifull story may allah makes us those who enter the paradise ameen.

mohamedqadar

The Beloved Son of the Beloved

Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu

The Beloved Son of the Beloved

Umar bin Al- Khattab Radi-Allahu 'anhu sat down to distribute money from the treasury among the Muslims.

It was `Abdullâh Ibn `Umar's Radi-Allahu 'anhu turn, and `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu gave him his share. Then it was the turn of Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu. `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu gave him double of what he gave his son `Abdullâh Radi-Allahu 'anhu. As `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu gave people according to their merit and endeavour, `Abdullâh Ibn `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu was afraid that his position was not as highly acknowledged as he desired, to be one of the closest to Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala through his obedience, endeavour, piety, and asceticism.

Therefore, he asked his father, "You preferred Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu, although I experienced with the Messenger Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam of Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala what he did not." Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu answered, "Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu was more beloved by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam than you were, and his father was more beloved by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam than your father was.

Who was it, together with his father that was so close to the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam heart and love? It was a high position which Ibn `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu did not reach, nor did his father, `Umar Radi-Allahu 'anhu himself.

Who was it? It was Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu who has been called among the Prophet's Radi-Allahu 'anhu Companions "The Beloved Son of the Beloved".

His father was Zaid Ibn Harith Radi-Allahu 'anhu the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam servant, who preferred the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam over own his father, mother and kin. He was with him when the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam stood in front of a large group of Companions saying, "I let you bear witness that Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu is my son, inheriting from me and I inheriting from him."

His name remained Zaid Ibn Muhammad Radi-Allahu 'anhu until the practice of child adoption was abolished by the Qur'ân Al Kareem. Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu is his son. His mother was Umm Aiman Radi-Allahu 'anha, the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam servant and nurse maid. Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu physical appearance made him appear a good for- nothing. Historians and narrators described him as being dark- skinned and snub-nosed. By these two words, not more, did history summarize Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu physical appearance.

However, since when did Islâm ever care about a person's physical characteristics? Was it not the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam who said, "Maybe a Muslim's hair is unkempt and his feet covered with dust and his clothes are not neat, but, if he swore by Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala he would fulfil his oath?"

Therefore, let us set his appearance aside. Leave his dark skin and snub nose alone; nothing of that sort has weight in Islâm. Let us instead take stock of his loyalty. How was his devotion? How was his virtue? How was his honesty? How was his piety? How great was his soul? on account of the qualities of his soul, he reached a worthiness that made him eligible to receive the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam infinite love and acknowledgment: "Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu is the most beloved to me and I wish him to be one of the virtuous. I recommend you to treat him well."

Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu had all the great characteristics which enabled him to be so close to the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam heart and beloved in his eyes. He was the son of two generous Muslims belonging to the first converts to Islâm who, at the same time, were the closest and most loyal to the Messenger Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam of Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala.

As one of the true sons of Islâm, he was nurtured from his first days by Islâm's pure nature without experiencing the murkiness of the pagan period.

Despite his young and tender age, he was a firm believer and a staunch Muslim fulfilling all the duties of his faith with deep loyalty and an unbreakable will. With great intellect and humility, limits to his devotion to Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala and His Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam could not found. Furthermore, he represented the victims of all kinds of discrimination who were saved by Islâm. How could this dark- skinned, snub-nosed fellow attract the heart of the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam and Muslims to such an elevated rank! This could only be possible when Islâm corrected human norms and values dealing with discrimination against people:

Sûrah Al-Hujurât (The Dwellings) XLIX, Ayât 13:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَى وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ
O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honourable of you with Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala is that (believer) who has At-Taqwâ [i.e. he is one of the Muttaqûn. Verily, Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala is All-Knowing, All-Ware. (TMQ* 49:13).

On the day of the Conquest of Makkah, the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam Companion who was riding behind him on horseback was that dark- skinned, snub-nosed Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu. Among the most victorious days of Islâm was the day of the Conquest of Makkah. On that day, on the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam right and left were Bilal Radi-Allahu 'anhu and Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu, two dark-skinned men; however Allâh's Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala word which they carried in their pure, virtuous hearts made them deserving of all kinds of merit and elevated position.

Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu had not yet reached the age of 20 when the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam ordered him to be head of an army which had among its soldiers Abû Bakr As Siddîq Radi-Allahu 'anhu and `Umar bin Al- Khattab Radi-Allahu 'anhu. A growl spread around among a group of Muslims who were distressed by this matter and who found it too much for a youth such as Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu to command an army which included a large number of Muhaajiruun and elderly Ansâr. Their whispers reached the Messenger Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam of Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, so he ascended the pulpit, thanked and praised Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala and then said, "Some people criticized Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu army command; they criticized his father's command before him. His father deserved to be the commander as well as Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu. He is the most beloved to me next to his father, and I hope he is among the virtuous ones. I request you to treat him well."

The Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam died before the army set off towards its destination; however the Prophet Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam had left his wise testament to his Companions: "Fulfil Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu commission. Fulfil Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu commission."

Despite the new circumstances created by the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam death, Abû Bakr As Siddîq Radi-Allahu 'anhu, the first Khalifah, insisted upon fulfilling the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam testament. Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu army set off to its destination; the Khalifah only requested Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu to allow `Umar bin Al- Khattab Radi-Allahu 'anhu to stay behind to be with him in Madînah.

At the same time, the Roman (Byzantine) emperor heard the news of the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam death and that an army headed by Osama Ibn Zaid Radi-Allahu 'anhu was attacking the borders of Syria. He could not hide his astonishment and wonder about the strength of the Muslims, whose plans and potential were not affected by the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam death. Consequently, the Romans abstained from utilizing the Syrian borders as a leaping point upon Islâm's centre in the Arabian Peninsula, and thereby their power began to shrink.

Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu army returned safely without any causalities so that the Muslims said, "We've never seen a safer army than Osama's Radi-Allahu 'anhu."

It was by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam himself that Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu had been taught the lesson of his life, a very wise lesson. Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu lived according to its wisdom from the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam death until he himself left our world during the latter phase of Mu'âwiyah's Khalifah.

Two years before the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam death, Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu was sent by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam to lead a detachment which was meeting some polytheists attacking Islâm and its followers. It was the first time for Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu to be appointed head of a detachment. He accomplished his duty successfully and victoriously. News of his victory preceded his arrival and the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam was indeed glad.

Let us leave the rest of the story to be narrated by Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu himself: When I reached the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam the proclamation of good news had already reached him. The Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam face beamed jubilantly. He asked me to sit closer to him and said, "Tell me." I went on telling and narrating. I mentioned to him that at one point the polytheists were defeated and I could reach a man, at whom I pointed my spear. The man said, "There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala. Nevertheless I pierced and killed him with my lance. The Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam attitude changed. He said, "Woe unto you! How dare you do that when he said, There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala. Woe unto you! How dare you do that when he said, There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala." He continued saying that to such an extent that I wished to rid myself of all my deeds and embrace Islâm afresh on that day. No, by Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, I will never fight anyone saying, There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala, after what I have heard from the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam.

Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu was guided by the wisdom of this lesson throughout his life.

What a wise lesson! A lesson revealing the Prophet's Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam humanity, his justice, the eminence of his principles, the greatness of his faith and manners. Despite the fact that if was a polytheist warrior who had been killed by Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu, the killing was much regretted by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam.

At the same moment this warrior said, "There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala," he was holding a sword in his right hand, a sword upon which pieces of Muslim flesh were still hanging. He said it to save his soul or to give himself another chance to change his direction or resume fighting.

Nevertheless, because he said it, his blood became inviolate and his life secure and safe at the same moment and for the same reason, whatever his intention or his inward desire may have been. Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu understood the lesson fully. If the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam forbids the killing of a man in such a situation for the reason that he said, "There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala," what about the true believers and true Muslims? Therefore, Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu held a neutral position during the period of the civil strife between Ali bin Abi Tâlib Radi-Allahu 'anhu with his followers on one hand and Mu'âwiyah on the other.

He loved Ali bin Abi Tâlib Radi-Allahu 'anhu very much and could see the truth on his side. But after having been blamed by the Prophet Muhammad Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam for the murder of a polytheist who said, "There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala," how could he ever kill a Muslim believing in Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala and His Prophets Sala-llahu Alahi Wa Salam? Therefore, he sent a message to `Ali bin Abi Tâlib Radi-Allahu 'anhu saying, "If you were in a lion's jaw, I would love to enter it with you. But I've never seen a situation like this before."

He kept within doors during the whole period of the fighting and war. When some of his companions came to argue with him over his decision, he simply said, "I will never fight anyone saying, There is no god but Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala."

Once, one cited' him the Ayât:

Sûrah Al-Baqarah (The Cow) II, Ayât 193:

وَقَاتِلُوهُمْ حَتَّى لا تَكُونَ فِتْنَةٌ وَيَكُونَ الدِّينُ لِلَّهِ فَإِنِ انْتَهَوْا فَلا عُدْوَانَ إِلا عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ
And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelieve and worshipping of others along with Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala) and (all and every kind of) worship is for Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala (Alone). But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zâlimûn (the polytheists, and wrongdoers) (TMQ* 2:193).

He replied, " Those are the polytheists and we fought them until there wasn't any persecution and Allâh's Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala religion prevailed."

In A.H. 54 Osama Radi-Allahu 'anhu longed to meet with Allâh Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala. on that day the gates of Paradise opened to receive one of the most reverent and pious believers.

Veiled_Knight

Mansha Allah it was a beautiful story n i've never heard about her either. Allah bless her soul
She will be with Allah n His messenger in heaven where i wish to join them too.. May Allah grant us paradise.ameen

Barakallahu fee wa Jazaakumullahu khairan..Excellent read may Allah make us all those who strive in his cause..Ameen

Assalamu ALiekum wrwb

yoko33

Halal but is not Halal

Asalamu alaikom
I am living in Sweden. and all of Muslim we only can east halal food. I all way have a code the contain pork with me . yesterday i went to buy some food where they use ti have thing i need from Asia. I forget to tell that i am Thai- Muslim, any way bough some thing that say halal in the packet I do not to check it. and Allahumdulilah when i came back home, some thing make me to read in the packet and i find some number that contain pork, so brother and sister before you buy thing even is said halal you should have the pork containing food codes with you.
May Allah subhataallah give all muslims his love and mercy.

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
:tti_sister: :tti_sister: :salam2: Jazaka'Allah khairan, it is a wonderfull story, I red it to my daughter(she's 10) and she said that she would like to know more about her incha'Allah, jazaka'allah khairan again:tti_sister:

muna

ابنة الاسلام
Masha allaaah
Jazakalllaahu kheyral jazaa brother
itz a beautiful story that i wanted 2 know a lot about 'May Allah build a house 4 u in paradise n 4 all muslims' insh allaah