'UN Sanctions against Iraq question.

truthseeker63

'UN Sanctions against Iraq question many Right Wingers in America I talk to tell me that the millions of deaths caused by the U.S. UK lead UN Sanctions against Iraq was just propaganda by Saddam. My question is can it be proven that the sanctions killed Iraqis ?

Learning from the September 11 Attacks

By Mark Weber - September 15, 2001

These shocking attacks were predictable. In 1993 Islamic radicals set off a bomb at the World Trade Center that claimed six lives. In August 1998 the United States carried out missile attacks against Afghanistan and Sudan, strikes that senior Clinton administration officials said signaled the start of "a real war against terrorism." In the wake of those attacks, a high-ranking U.S. intelligence official warned that "the prospect of retaliation against Americans is very, very high.'" (The Washington Post, Aug. 21, 1998, p. A1)

Our political leaders and the American mass media promote the preposterous fiction that the September 11 attacks are entirely unprovoked and unrelated to United States actions. They want everyone to believe that the underlying hatred of America by so many around the world, especially in Arab and Muslim countries, that motivated the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks is unrelated to this country's policies. It is clear, however, that those who carried out these devastating suicide attacks against centers of American financial and military might were enraged by this country's decades-long support for Israel and its policies of aggression, murderous repression, and brutal occupation against Arabs and Muslims, and/or American air strikes and economic warfare against Afghanistan, Sudan, Iraq and Iran.

For most Americans modern war has largely been an abstraction -- something that happens only in far-away lands. The victims of U.S. air attack and bombardment in Vietnam, Lebanon, Sudan, Libya, Iraq and Serbia have seemed somehow unreal. Few ordinary Americans pay attention, because U.S. military actions normally have little impact on their day-to-day lives.

Ramsey Clark, former U.S. Attorney General, has accused the United States of committing "a crime against humanity" against the people of Iraq "that exceeds all others in its magnitude, cruelty and portent." Citing United Nations agency reports and his own on-site investigations, Clark charged in 1996 that the scarcity of food and medicine as a result of sanctions against Iraq imposed by the United States since 1990, and U.S. bombings of the country, had caused the deaths of more than a million people, including more than half a million children.

Madeleine Albright, Secretary of State in President Clinton's administration, defended the mass killings. During a 1996 interview she was asked: "We have heard that half a million children have died [as a result of sanctions against Iraq]. I mean, that is more children than died in Hiroshima ... Is the price worth it?" Albright replied: "... We think the price is worth it." (60 Minutes, May 12, 1996).

Learning from the September 11 [2001] attacks

Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq (CASI)

Iraq sanctions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Honestly, I don't even know what to believe about the 9/11 attacks anymore. At first I bought into the "Muslim terrorist" lie (and I do think that it is a lie) perpetrated by the media. Later I saw evidence and some interesting theories about US government involvement. While I'm not sure I would go that far, I still don't really believe the "official" story about Muslim terrorists either.

Shak78

It would be hard to prove due to it being the word of former dictator Saddam Hussein vs the US, and of course with one being dead that makes it even harder. There is no doubt that the sanctions did create much harder conditions for the average Iraqi after they were implemented in 1991. They did nothing to get rid of Hussein or heck Castro in Cuba for that matter. Hussein could have let the weapons inspectors do thier jobs, verify he had no WMD and then they would have been lifted. It was as much his fault as the UN and US for the deaths.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

WOW...

If you review some of the threads on TTI this has all been discussed in detail before.

The information is out there and on TTI.

Just think. Do not buy the excuses that are written in the text books. Go and seek knowledge.
It will make you angry for a minute and then you become better.

Please ask Allah to give you knowledge.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
It would be hard to prove due to it being the word of former dictator Saddam Hussein vs the US, and of course with one being dead that makes it even harder. There is no doubt that the sanctions did create much harder conditions for the average Iraqi after they were implemented in 1991. They did nothing to get rid of Hussein or heck Castro in Cuba for that matter. Hussein could have let the weapons inspectors do thier jobs, verify he had no WMD and then they would have been lifted. It was as much his fault as the UN and US for the deaths.

Yeah, Saddam was like the little boy who kept refusing to clean his room, so his parents thought he must have had a drug/alcohol stash. When they finally went into his room, they never found anything, but because it took so long, they still suspected that he had something hidden and got rid of it. If he had let Mom and Dad check his room, they wouldn't have found anything and problem solved.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Good analogy. But the Muslim countries are not little children. And the citizens of the US do not want America to monitor and make war with Muslims.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

No, it will not anger anyone. It is really good to have someone on the website explain to our brothers and sisters that Americans are not bad guys.

The ones in power are nuts.

PS: as you learn more about Islam and become comfortable in it..you will begin to understand that the whole Earth belongs to Allah. And we love that which He loves and hates that which He hates. So as much as we try..we can not be isolated. We have to take care of all of His Creation.

( I can be so sickly sweet, the sugar from breaking my fast has me happy)

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum,

No, it will not anger anyone. It is really good to have someone on the website explain to our brothers and sisters that Americans are not bad guys.

The ones in power are nuts.

PS: as you learn more about Islam and become comfortable in it..you will begin to understand that the whole Earth belongs to Allah. And we love that which He loves and hates that which He hates. So as much as we try..we can not be isolated. We have to take care of all of His Creation.

( I can be so sickly sweet, the sugar from breaking my fast has me happy)

:salam2:

Ah, so you read it before I removed it? Well I was hoping to avoid that, because it's Ramadan, and we shouldn't even be talking about this stuff right now. I'm trying to sort my life out and I don't need to get caught up in discussions about meaningless things.

I'm used to being alone. I have always been alone. I have always done things for myself, by myself, and I've always asked the same of anyone else.

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
Assalaam walaikum.

Sorry kid..you now have a billion, take a few brothers and sisters.

I'm still trying to get used to that.

Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off taking a break from the forums for a while...

... but then I have gotten used to some of the people here already. You, sister harb, a few of the brothers here...

esperanza

revert of many years

Ah, so you read it before I removed it? Well I was hoping to avoid that, because it's Ramadan, and we shouldn't even be talking about this stuff right now. I'm trying to sort my life out and I don't need to get caught up in discussions about meaningless things.

I'm used to being alone. I have always been alone. I have always done things for myself, by myself, and I've always asked the same of anyone else.

you should not need to be alone,,,,, if there are good muslims around you
but iknow :hijabi:what umean,,,i live in a muslim country surrounded by muslims,,,but sometimes feel so lost and alone..sometimes it is better to just be alone,,,,but remember we should never despair..Allah is always there and we can turn to him for help..............

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
you should not need to be alone,,,,, if there are good muslims around you
but iknow :hijabi:what umean,,,i live in a muslim country surrounded by muslims,,,but sometimes feel so lost and alone..sometimes it is better to just be alone,,,,but remember we should never despair..Allah is always there and we can turn to him for help..............

I know that and it does comfort me. But I have always been one that has a hard time accepting faith and believing in God. I was an atheist for years before I finally realized that there is a God, and that was because it became clear to me scientifically.

Anyway, the closest Muslim community to me is across town, a 30 minute drive away.

I'll sort it out. It may take a while, but I'll sort it out, with Allah's help.

esperanza

revert of many years
I know that and it does comfort me. But I have always been one that has a hard time accepting faith and believing in God. I was an atheist for years before I finally realized that there is a God, and that was because it became clear to me scientifically.

Anyway, the closest Muslim community to me is across town, a 30 minute drive away.

I'll sort it out. It may take a while, but I'll sort it out, with Allah's help.

30 minutes is not to far away,,but sure iknow its hard as you wrote a white muslim in your country,,,but ithink you have many firends in islam here and you are never alone if you have your faith.,..May Allah give you strength yo pass difficult times
:hijabi:

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
30 minutes is not to far away,,but sure iknow its hard as you wrote a white muslim in your country,,,but ithink you have many firends in islam here and you are never alone if you have your faith.,..May Allah give you strength yo pass difficult times
:hijabi:

I plan to go to masjid tomorrow for evening prayers. I need to get back on the right path.

It wasn't easy for the any of the prophets, and it won't be easy for me. But if they can do it, I can do it too...