URGENT! correct Qu'ranic recitation

HappyMuslimah

Exams:Duas please!
:salam2:

I have just discovered a horrifying discrepency between the way in which I read the Holy Quran (taught by a Pakistani teacher) and the way in which a friend reads it (taught by an Iraqi). This is an example:

Surah Ikhlaas:

wa lam yakul-la-hû kufu-wan ahad (how i read it)
wa lam yakun-la-hu kufu-wan ahad (how he reads it)

Which way is correct? Why do we read it differently? Can you please reply ASAP because I have to relearn EVERYTHING if I'm reading wrong? Thank you

weakslave

Brother ayman is correct.

My advise to you sister is to find an arab speaker who knows the rules of tajweed to listen to you recite the Quraan.

Your friend either did not learn the correct pronounciation or that Iraqi teacher does not know the rules of tajweed.

hassana elkoussi

The first one is incorrect, sister. The second one is correct if you are not using tajweed rules. The letter used in the verse is ن "Noon" which is pronounced N. However, because the following letter is ل "Laam", which is pronounced L, the tajweed rule of "idghaam" applies, which infuses the N into the L. The correct pronunciation is something between the two, a nasal L. The idghaam rule states that a consonant N (one not followed by a vowel) is nasally diffused in the following letter if the following letter is Y,R,M,L,W or N (يرملون) making the following letter nasal.
So, if you are reciting with tajweed, you should try to produce the nasal L. If you are reciting without tajweed, you may pronounce it N, but never an open L.

Salam alaikum brother,

Excuse me brother Ayman, I do agree with u that يرملون letters must have idgham with ghunna, ( nasal sound) , but with the exception of R & L . These two letters must not be nasal, and their ruling is that of idgham without ghunnah. Jazak Allah khairan

salam