US mayor converts to Islam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
The Associated PressPublished: February 2, 2007
images

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/02/america/NA-GEN-US-Mayor-Islam.php

MACON, Georgia: Macon Mayor Jack Ellis has converted to Islam and is now working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Ellis, who was raised Christian, said Thursday that he became a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal.

"You do it because it feels right," said Ellis. "To me it's no big deal. But people like to know what you believe in. And this is what I believe in."

Ellis said he has been studying the Quran for years and that his new religion was originally practiced by his ancestors before they were brought to North America as slaves.

At the request of his two of his daughters, Ellis said he will keep his last name the same.
Ellis has not ruled out future runs for elected office after his term expires this year. But he said he had not made any calculations for how his religious conversion might affect him politically. He said he is an American first and is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.

In January Rep. Keith Ellison took office as the first Muslim elected to the U.S. Congress. The Michigan Democrat was born in Detroit and converted to Islam while in college.

Ellis said Muslims should not be painted with a broad brush simply because of a few radicals.

"If anybody wants to know about Islam, I can hold an intelligent conversation," Ellis said. "What I've found is how little we know about the religion."

stranger786

Dream of His Slavery
The Associated PressPublished: February 2, 2007
images

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/02/america/NA-GEN-US-Mayor-Islam.php
MACON, Georgia: Macon Mayor Jack Ellis has converted to Islam and is now working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.
Ellis, who was raised Christian, said Thursday that he became a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal.
"You do it because it feels right," said Ellis. "To me it's no big deal. But people like to know what you believe in. And this is what I believe in."
Ellis said he has been studying the Quran for years and that his new religion was originally practiced by his ancestors before they were brought to North America as slaves.
At the request of his two of his daughters, Ellis said he will keep his last name the same.
Ellis has not ruled out future runs for elected office after his term expires this year. But he said he had not made any calculations for how his religious conversion might affect him politically. He said he is an American first and is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.
In January Rep. Keith Ellison took office as the first Muslim elected to the U.S. Congress. The Michigan Democrat was born in Detroit and converted to Islam while in college.
Ellis said Muslims should not be painted with a broad brush simply because of a few radicals.
"If anybody wants to know about Islam, I can hold an intelligent conversation," Ellis said. "What I've found is how little we know about the
religion."

mashAllah.........
:muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child: :muslim_child:

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Mashallah. :muslim_child: :SMILY346: :SMILY149: :jumpclap:

Yeah before it was the Isrealis in plotics and now Islam is starting to be part in it.:SMILY335:

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Mashaallah

:ma:

Hopefully the understanding of the True Islam will be widen in the U.S.

Thnx for sharing this beautiful news.

Jazakallahu Khair.

faizkh65

It is wonderful to hear officials converting to Islam. Please there is one Islam, and one name, Muslims... for God's sakes, refrain from using, shiite muslim or sunni muslim... lets be original can we? and simple, lets be just muslims... thank u

nafeesa

salaam alaykum
Masha Allah, its a good news ,May Allah guide other brothers and sisters with him ,Ameen.

Salaam Alaykum

alisenay

Brother and sister, first of all i am sorry that my english is not enough well to be able to explain excatly what i want, so i will try to do my best.
i need help...
if anyone can help me i would be pleasure..
well,i am a muslim, i am married and my wife is not muslim...i often watch the stories about convert people to islam,but usually most of them are in english language..i need some video which is in russian language. I really want to make my wife to watch them, but because of language i cant do it...so if anyone has such video in russian , i greatly ask to put here ..may Allah help us..pls keep us in your prays as weel

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom
Brother,

The best thing if you can give her Quran to read and have some lectures about Islam in Russian this way she know the Islam first before she watch any videos.

If you need lectures and books in Russian let us know and I am sure all the member of TTI will help you,

Jazaak Allah Khyran and May Allah guide your wife inshallah.

wa salaam alikom

LoveIslam

ALLAH FORGIVE US
:bismillah:
assaalamualakum us mayor converts to islam :ma::ma: may ALLAH guide all us on right path Aamen
:jazaak: for sharing
:wasalam: :hijabi:

basheerpkm

trying to be Mu'min
:salam2:
Brother and sister, first of all i am sorry that my english is not enough well to be able to explain excatly what i want, so i will try to do my best.
i need help...
if anyone can help me i would be pleasure..
well,i am a muslim, i am married and my wife is not muslim...i often watch the stories about convert people to islam,but usually most of them are in english language..i need some video which is in russian language. I really want to make my wife to watch them, but because of language i cant do it...so if anyone has such video in russian , i greatly ask to put here ..may Allah help us..pls keep us in your prays as weel
brother, assalamualikkum,
May our members can help you :)
:wasalam:

Kayote

Salam, thankyou for sharing this. MashaAllah thats wonderful news & its always a wonderful feeling to read of new reverts. May Allah give us all the strength.

Salam

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Masha'allah; I am wondering as to why none of the Islamic organisations in the US have confirmed this? Interviews etc.?

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Asslamo Allaikum,

Masha'allah; I am wondering as to why none of the Islamic organisations in the US have confirmed this? Interviews etc.?

Well what else could be the reason? Ofcourse they're ashamed of that and that would make a very big impact on a lot of people to find out one of their officials actually embraced Islam. May Allaah swt make the number of Muslims even more numerous ameen.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

They did confirmed it and CAIR did published in the daily email send by CAIR
its been in news papers all over but the MEDIA will cover it ofcourse and wont show it on news..!.

jazaakom Allah khair

salaam alikom

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Well what else could be the reason? Ofcourse they're ashamed of that and that would make a very big impact on a lot of people to find out one of their officials actually embraced Islam. May Allaah swt make the number of Muslims even more numerous ameen.

Oops..I'm sorry I thought you were referring to the media and the government.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Al-Jazeera interviews Ellis about conversion to Islam

By Matt Barnwell
TELEGRAPH STAFF WRITER

The Middle Eastern television network Al-Jazeera was in Macon on Tuesday for a lengthy interview with Mayor Jack Ellis, discussing his time in office and recent conversion to Islam.

A Washington, D.C.-based crew from the network's recently launched English-language channel sat for two hours with Ellis behind his closed office doors. They later took a stroll down Poplar Street with the mayor to capture his interaction with city residents.

"Al-Jazeera finds this a fascinating story because it celebrates the diversity - racial, religious, certainly cultural and ethnically - that the United States stands for," said Viviana Hurtado, the network's North American correspondent who interviewed Ellis. "It is a story about tolerance and about diversity in all of its incarnations."

Ellis, who was raised as a Christian, late last week said he had become a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in Senegal, a country on the western coast of Africa. He is working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis, keeping his last name at the request of two daughters.

Al-Jazeera English hit the airwaves in November as the first English language news channel headquartered in the Middle East. It has broadcast centers in Qatar, where it's parent network is based, as well as Malaysia, London and Washington, D.C. The network, whose content is delivered to subscribers by satellite, claims 80 million viewers worldwide.

At this point, Al-Jazeera English is not nearly as widespread in the United States as are American-based, 24-hour-news channels CNN, Fox News or MSNBC. Al-Jazeera gained some notoriety in the United States following the Sept. 11 terror attacks, when the television station began broadcasting tapes produced by al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Hurtado said in addition to U.S. subscribers, viewers in Africa, Europe, Asia and the Middle East will watch her interview with Ellis. She would not specifically say when it would air, other than "soon."

The mayor has in the past month started attending Friday prayers at the Macon Islamic Center. Ellis has said his conversion - which he also calls a "reversion," because Islam was practiced by his West African ancestors - was not undertaken lightly, and came after years of studying the Quran.

Tuesday, he reiterated his belief that Christianity is compatible with Islam.

"Christ was one of the prophets. Muhammad, peace be upon him, was the last prophet," Ellis said.

He also continued efforts to make clear that he was an American first, citing his status as a Vietnam veteran. It is "beyond the pale" he said, to question his patriotism.

Ellis said his office has received more than 5,000 e-mails from around the world since his conversion was made public. Most of them are encouraging, he said, although some from the Middle Georgia area have not been as positive.

A glance at a few of the e-mails reveals their range in tone: One writer from Colorado simply states, "Get out of my country." Another from Sweden begs Allah to bless Ellis, before offering paragraphs of encouragement.

Around noon Tuesday, Ellis, with Al-Jazeera camera crew in tow, stopped in at Edenz Vegetarian Restaurant on Poplar Street. The network's intent was to capture the mayor among his constituents.

An older couple finishing their meal reacted with some surprise as reporters crowded into the small dining space. Still, the woman seated at the table gamely carried on a conversation with Ellis about having to stockpile wood in their younger days to heat their homes.

Said her male dining companion afterward: "Al-Jazeera, huh? That's interesting." The couple declined to give their names, expressing hope they would not appear in the televised segment.

The mayor said he considers his decision to switch religions a personal one, although he recognizes the public interest it generates because he is an elected official.

He compared the attention his conversion has drawn to the national media focus that turned to Macon when former Atlanta Braves pitcher and Macon native John Rocker made disparaging comments to a reporter about minorities and homosexuals.

Interest in Ellis' conversion did not appear to be fading Tuesday. Fox News has requested interview time, city officials said, and Ellis said The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has asked him to write a piece for the newspaper's opinion pages.

To contact Matt Barnwell, call 744-4251.