US Scolds Europe For Muslim Discrimination

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)
US Scolds Europe For Muslim Discrimination

The discrimination Muslims face all across Europe is alarmingly on the rise, the US said in a damning report on human rights, warning of a deteriorating rights situation worldwide, mainly due to raging conflicts.
"We see discrimination against Muslims, including hate crimes, in Europe," Michael Posner, Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor, said Thursday, March 11, announcing the release of the annual report on human rights.

The report, titled "Country Reports on Human Rights Practices", drew a grim picture of bias against Muslims in many countries across Europe in 2009.

It specifically highlighted the most recent case in Switzerland, where a constitutional amendment was passed to ban the construction of mosque minarets.

In Austria, the report said, there were excessive use of force by police and societal discrimination against Muslims, in addition to anti-Muslim tone in election campaigns.

It grilled Germany for a series of anti-Muslim trends, including preventing Muslim organizations from their right to represent their community, and court rulings against veiled Muslims working in schools.

US Country Reports on Human Rights Practices (Read)

"A debate continued in Lower Saxony's state parliament over police security checks in mosques," the report added.

It also slammed two key allies, France and Britain, for their human rights records with respect to their Muslim minorities.

The annual report underlined the banning of Muslim face-veils in public in France, home to Europe’s biggest Muslim minority, as one of the most blaring evidences.

"Members of the Arab Muslim community continued to experience acts of harassment, particularly against immigrants of North African origin."

The human rights report also cited anti‑Islamic attacks against persons and property in Britain.

"There were numerous incidents of violence against individuals and property, as well as a number of rallies and public gatherings with anti-Muslim messages."

Alarming

The wide-ranging report asserted that other rights abuses remained widespread across the world.

"Often these violations relating to the integrity of the person are in countries where conflicts are occurring," said the report, which covers 194 countries.

It noted that 2009 was a year in which ethnic, racial and religious tensions triggered violent conflicts and serious human rights violations and fueled or exacerbated more than 30 wars or internal armed conflicts.

"There still are an alarming number of reports of torture, extrajudicial killings, and other violations of universal human rights."

The US report focused on Iran and China accusing them of cracking down on opponents and increasing restrictions on the inte and other forms of information.

It particularly criticized Beijing for continued crackdowns on the Muslim Uighur minority and Tibetans.

"The Chinese government's human rights records remain poor and worsening in some areas, including increased cultural and religious repression of ethnic minorities," said Posner, the Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights and Labor.

He said they found that Iran's rights record "degenerated" during 2009, with repression of protesters who took to the streets following the controversial presidential polls.

"An already poor human rights situation rapidly deteriorated after the June elections.

"It is a place where we are continuing to see severe repression of dissent and are continuing to pay great attention," said Posner.

The annual report also cited other countries, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, for worsening human rights situations.

US Record?

The US, which has compiled human rights reports on other countries for the past 34 years, was quick to fend off criticism to its own rights record.

"We hold every government, including our own, to a single universal standard," Bosner said.

But the fact is that the US is not reviewed in the State Department's annual report on human rights abuses.

The Obama administration is facing criticism over failure to shut down the notorious Guantanamo detention in Cuba, drone attacks in Pakistan and Somalia and civilian deaths in Afghanistan.

"We’re leading in some ways with this report but, by all means, others should feel free to say what they want about us," said Bosner.

America's rights situation will come under scrutiny this fall at the United Nations Human Rights Council.

"We are also committed…in this year, to doing the first-ever universal periodic review report to the UN Human Rights Council," said Bosner.

Courtesy: IslamOnline

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:salam2:,

oh! US scolding europe for muslim discrimination. but who is responsible for this?

who made Islam to seem like terrorism and muslims as terrorists?

who is responsible for muslim conditions where usa attacked?

then who is going to scold usa?

abu'muhammad

assalaamu alaykum,

The issues are not overnight. Some of the EU countries and UK believe that for global economic slowdown US has big role.Those countries have condemned US actions. and its true to some extent

In return US is trying to bring some issues into focus. although it has differnt teeth for eating and showing. With no ill feeling intended I think the stance looks as impressing muslim nations and effort of looking good.

still mutually those countries will sit together and give away those disputes against muslims.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
:salam2:,

oh! US scolding europe for muslim discrimination. but who is responsible for this?

who made Islam to seem like terrorism and muslims as terrorists?

who is responsible for muslim conditions where usa attacked?

Even though America has done a lot of terrible things war wise, Muslims will still remain free to live their life & religion here.

Hijab has been BANNED in many countries in Europe, I can honestly say that will never happen here. Denmark wants to pay Muslims money to move to the middle East, that will also not happen here. Minarets and traditional Mosques are now being banned in Switzerland, you can guess it will happen in other places soon -This will never happen in America.

We do have freedoms here.

I also feel you talking about the War is not equal to Muslims rights here in America...

kayleigh

Look, you can scold the US all you want but Muslims are treated MUCH better in the US than in some European countries. Its not like the US tells you how you can practice Islam or what you can and cannot wear, and you can be sure they won't be doing that anytime soon.

a lot of the hatred towards Muslims is independent of the wars the US started. Muslim immigrants in Europe are much more likely to be poor and therefore seen as trouble makers than those in the US. That doesn't really have everything to do with Muslims being seen as terrorists, although it has contributed to the stereotypes.

abu'muhammad

Even though America has done a lot of terrible things war wise, Muslims will still remain free to live their life & religion here.

Hijab has been BANNED in many countries in Europe, I can honestly say that will never happen here. Denmark wants to pay Muslims money to move to the middle East, that will also not happen here. Minarets and traditional Mosques are now being banned in Switzerland, you can guess it will happen in other places soon -This will never happen in America.

We do have freedoms here.

I also feel you talking about the War is not equal to Muslims rights here in America...

Look, you can scold the US all you want but Muslims are treated MUCH better in the US than in some European countries. Its not like the US tells you how you can practice Islam or what you can and cannot wear, and you can be sure they won't be doing that anytime soon.

a lot of the hatred towards Muslims is independent of the wars the US started. Muslim immigrants in Europe are much more likely to be poor and therefore seen as trouble makers than those in the US. That doesn't really have everything to do with Muslims being seen as terrorists, although it has contributed to the stereotypes.

assalaamu alaykum,

I may say that Americans have material advantages over others and people have latest technologies, luxuries etc. But the country US or any other may change its standards, laws and regulations or say muslim’s religion is safer from all perspectives in a muslim country.The scholars ruling favour to move to islaamic land. Some are strict, some moderate but none says to live in a non-muslim land in the light of qur'aan and sunnah.

The things are observed from local view rather its international issue, abiding many countries. We need to look here from all sides so that we could evaluate the things they should be. Over all result is to be taken in consideration rather basing view on plus or minus in some outlook.

Overall attitude of US towards muslims when considered than it strays down. Its citizen may be living extra super life with freedom but for other victim countries its not that.. many examples are there in this regard and I may advocate this in terms of global consideration.

arzafar

europe has a long and 'proud' history of religious and racial discrimination. from colonization to the inquisition. They consider themselves superior to others and have been doing it for eons.

There was a brilliant poem written by rudyard kipling on this topic. Search
"The White Man's Burden" it was written 100 years ago at the peak of British imperialism. Britain has been replaced by the US now. However, the poem still applies to the 'white man' today.

Valerie

When has the US NOT been scolded? I'll be honest, I didn't want to go to other countries, because my accent might invite someone to hurt me.

Who is responsible for making out muslims to be terrorists? As a former journalist, I'll tell you: the media. And people assume that news is true, and are too lazy to look past their own misconceptions to find any truth. When I was in College I heard the phrase all the time: "If it bleeds, it leads." The big news is the bad news. And when that happens, someone has to find a bad guy.

Not all Americans should be lumped into the same category, just the same as its unfair to lump all muslims in the "terrorist" category.